Kickin’ It Old School

So this morning was a very, shall we say, humbling experience.

Why is that you ask? Well, that’s because I decided to take my boo-tay back to BodyPump! Would you believe that it’s been almost four months since I last took a class?

You might remember back around December, I wasn’t totally loving the music which, in my opinion, totally makes a workout. Honestly, the music still wasn’t that great today (the instructor was using an older release which sounded familiar to me) but the workout itself felt great. My arms are literally still shaking as I’m typing right now and lifting my mug of coffee is a bit difficult.

BodyPump is a class that definitely challenges your endurance; rather than just performing a few sets of an exercise (like I’ve been doing for the past four months) you exhaust the muscles with light – moderate weights and perform high repetitions. Returning to class today quickly reminded me that I need to get back into that endurance training because, uhh, it wasn’t easy.

I followed up class with an easy 15 minutes people watching on the elliptical before calling it a day. On my way back home, I had one of our local radio stations on (105.7 Crush FM) and I had to laugh when one of my former, “back in the day” favorites came on… “1, 2, 3, 4” by Coolio.

source

Talk about kickin’ it old school?! This song was super popular about when I was in fifth grade (1995) and it totally made me think of awkward middle school dances, rockin’ out with my snap bracelets, scrunchies, and acid wash jeans, and reading through the lyrics on the CD case cover, trying desperately to remember them all. I’m also pretty sure that my family ended up seeing him in an airport Sbarro a few years back (Dan, is that right??). The funny part though? I still remembered about half the lyrics this morning and busted ‘em out while cruisin’ on home. Awwww yeeeeah. Winking smile

Breakfast

I decided to go for something new today, folks…

I’ve had this bag of Bob’s Red Mill Muesli in my pantry for probably about forever now, and since I couldn’t make up my mind this morning, I figured I’d give it a shot.

To prepare it cold, the directions on the package said to combine 1/4 cup of the muesli with 1/2 cup of water, milk, or yogurt; I wanted something with a bit more staying power, so I opted to combine mine with a cup of Chobani Apple Cinnamon.

I let it sit in the fridge for about 20 minutes (it said only 5-10 OR overnight, which is what I’d probably do next time) then topped it with some banana slices and a dollop of peanut butter.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect but I liked it a lot. Now I’m curious to see what it’d taste like with some almond milk, or even prepared hot.

That being said, don’t be surprised if you see it again soon. Winking smile

I’ve got a shower callin’ my name and then it’s time to get going with the rest of the day. Stay tuned for a new recipe headed your way this afternoon!

I’ll give ya a hint…I was successfully able to get Jay to eat ground chicken again.

Question for the Morning:

What are some songs that bring you back to your middle school/high school years when you hear them?

Comments

Oh gosh! I remember that Coolio song! What about “This is How We Do it?” “Boom Boom Boom?” I think the whole Jock Jams mixes remind me of middle school years. :)

I tried Museli for the first time last year and I liked it. I don’t know why I haven’t had it since. Need to change that. Looking forward to the new recipe!
    Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..The Bachelorette, Emily…

• Courtney says

Yes, overnight oats are the best! I do them quite often, I’ve just never tried with the muesli before. :)

• Courtney says

It has a mix of oats, grains, raisins, dates, sunflower seeds…I’m sure there was more, haha. It was really good!

2. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

Haha I love when the radio stations do throwbacks like that’s. It’s amazing how you remember the lyrics even though you haven’t heard the song in years. I met the rapper Fabolous in an airport in Poland of all places. They were even on my flight back to NYC.
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Mother’s Dayuation

3. Kim Lee says

Love Bodypump! And I totally know what you mean about not being able to lift your coffee cup. 😉

How funny that you posted about Body Pump today! I have not gone in MONTHS and will be going back this morning. I have a love/hate relationship with this class. I love that it WORKS but man, the reps can KILL! I need it though, er…rather my BUTT needs it, lol!!

We were just listening to “California” by Wave in the office on Friday (we were all in terrible moods so I tried to lighten the atmosphere). I love that song — complete recipe for a flashback!
    Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Trying Spin

6. Jennie says

Overnight is way better for muesli. I think regular (not Greek) yogurt works better because of the extra fluid.

• Courtney says

Ahhh okay, that makes sense! I’ll remember that for next time – maybe half milk half Greek yogurt?

7. Karleen says

That’s so funny that you brought old school music up! I am a year younger than you and just discovered a radio station that plays all of the oldies (oldies in our terms anyway!) I live on the west coast or else I would totally tell u to listen to it. It’s called 93.5 KDAY. Don’t know about you, but ‘summertime’ by will smith came on yesterday and I was cracking up cuz I pictured my friends and I (in middle school/early high school??) just hanging out at home during the summer listenIng to it on our radio cuz you know, that was the only way to listen to music back then!! Hope you have a good day!

8. Nicole says

Haha, I used to love that song too! So funny how the lyrics come rushing back! I’ve been singing to myself for the past few minutes – “1, 2, 3, 4, get your woman on the floor!” Haha. Pretty sure that’ll be stuck in my head all morning :)

Geesh ~ 1,2,3,4 by Coolio is definitely an oldie but a goodie — I haven’t heard that song in ages. Do you remember Ace of Base? That totally takes me back to my childhood; in fact I have a couple of their songs on my playlist when I feel like going a little retro :)
    Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Stewed Strawberry Rhubarb

I’m a totally Body Pump junkie these days. I love my instructor! She always says “You didn’t hit the snooze button this morning – make it worth it!” Which always motivates me to kill that set of four-in-a-row clean and presses :) Glad you liked it today!
    Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Unlikely Third Wheel

11. Courtney says

I’m not sure what you have for a cable provider, but Comcast has a 90’s music channel that I BLAST while cleaning! Seriously, every time… there is nothing better than sweeping, dusting, and washing floors while busting out the moves to N’Sync, Boyz II Men, Robyn, Britney, etc… I’m always amazed at how many of the lyrics I still remember!

I absolutely LOVE BodyPump. But if I take even a week off… boy can I feel it the next time! The only thing is that sometimes the songs are terrific, and sometimes I’m really not a fan. But I would much rather workout with music blasting anyway, so even the bad ones make the workout go by fast.
    Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Special Dinner Plans

Old school jams are the best! I absolutely love how after not hearing a song for years, you hear a few chords and immediately remember all of the words again. The husband and I recently found his old “cd case” full of TONS of cd’s we listened to in high school, including some mixes that I made for him. We’ve been having a blast listening and reminiscing. :)
    Trisha recently posted..Seven Minute Sangria

I love muesli! Never mixed it with yogurt though that sounds even better! I love when old school songs come on – although I hate that now the “old school lunch” is stuff that was actually popular when I was a teen – makes me feel OLD.
    I love the comment above mine too. My husband has all these mixed CDs from high school and we’ve started busting them out on road trips, so much fun!
    Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Stuffed Pesto Chicken + Birchbox Review

kc & jojo’s all my life, definitely brings me back to highschool!!!

ooh, muesli…i tried it for the first time last month in paris (at our hotel breakfast buffet and fell in love) i have been wanting to try to recreate it at home, i think i’ll go look for that mix! =)
    erica recently posted..{the honeymoon}: paris day three

‘Soulja Boy’ takes me back to middle school- which was about 4 years ago now. If you didn’t know that dance, man, you looked really dumb at those awkward dances!

Oh man, there are WAY too many songs to think about. I was into the grunge/alternative to be cool yet loved the BSB and Hanson too. Puff Daddy’s No Way Out was an awesome album, too.
    Alaina recently posted..Catching Up

18. erin says

that muesli is delicious hot. I make mine with egg whites, almond milk, and a spoonful of cashew butter. Very tasty and filling.

Trackbacks

1. […] I already planned on being out for a few hours this morning, I put together a batch of muesli last night to bring for breakfast. I prepared it with a container of plain Chobani, crushed […]