A Dinner Favorite: Pizza On The Grill

by Courtney on May 20, 2012

I really don’t think I can put into words, just how much I love pizza on the grill.

A couple of weeks ago, Jay finally broke down and bought a new grill (our old one was just that…OLD…and about to bite the dust). The two of us have been looking for excuses to use it as much as possible ever since, so when the idea of pizza came up for dinner tonight, I knew exactly how to cook it.

We followed our usual methods, and ended up splitting the dough into two to make for easier transfers from grill to cookie sheet.

On the Left: Italian-style diced tomatoes, grilled chicken, peppers, onions, mozzarella and parmesan cheese

On the Right: marinara sauce, peppers, onions, cheddar, parmesan and mozzarella cheese

Gotta love that nice crispy crust…grilled to perfection.

I went for one slice of the marinara pizza (we cut 6 slices) and two slices of the tomato, chicken, and veggie pizza (we cut 8 slices). We weren’t exactly sure how the cheddar cheese would pan out on the pizza, but it’s all we had so we went for it. Surprisingly, it was actually really good.

But my favorite was still the one with the diced tomatoes.

There’s just something about homemade pizza with diced tomatoes that I can’t get enough of…it’s my absolute favorite.

Lucky for us, we’ve got plenty of leftovers for tomorrow. Wheeeeee Smile

Time to go clean up the dishes get ready for the week ahead…hoping to have a couple new workouts headed your way this week. Any requests?

Enjoy the rest of your evening, everyone!!

1 Sana May 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm

:) loveee grilled pizza!
Sana recently posted..Last Minute 10-Pager

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Oh wow those look so good!! I’m really hoping that we can buy a grill ASAP when we move into our new house. I love pretty much anything grilled! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What I’ve learned since being married.

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 20, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I’m in love with this. I have never grilled pizza, but I think I have to!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

4 Jen May 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm

We had pizzas on the grill tonight for dinner too! Mmmm!

5 Emily S May 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Workout request: anything to target the under arm area?!

We grilled too- but it was interrupted because our dog ate the (raw) burgers I had (covered) on the counter while we were both outside setting up the grill. Ugh… quick trip to the store!

6 Emily S May 20, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’ll specify: the flappy areas on our arms… not the armpit!

7 Lauren May 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Ah, I know what you mean! Pizza on the grill is far better than pizza in the oven. We almost made pizza on the grill tonight but opted for Salmon instead. But it’s definitely on the menu this week!
Lauren recently posted..A Perfect Mix

8 Courtney May 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Your salmon definitely looked delicious though! :)

9 Kathryn May 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm

What grill did you end up going with? My husband and I are trying to buy one but there are so many different brands/kinds.

10 Courtney May 20, 2012 at 8:17 pm

It’s a Ducane – so far, so good!

11 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I LOVE making grilled pizza..its the best! both of your pizzas look delicious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..BRING ON SUMMER!

12 Karina May 20, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Looks delicious!! How about a workout that kills your butt! Maybe incorporate plyo/cardio butt work mixed with weights/etc exercises? Always looking for new ones! Love your workouts:) Thanks!

13 Alaina May 20, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I don’t think I have ever had grilled pizza, but it looks like something I would die over. :-P

And now I really want a grill.
Alaina recently posted..Almost There

14 Annie @ What's Annie Making? May 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Pizza on the grill is one of my favorites too! It’s a little intimidating the first time you do it. But so totally worth it.
Annie @ What’s Annie Making? recently posted..Weekend Recap and Maple Chai Spice Almond Butter

15 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family May 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm

how do you make pizza on a grill? Just put it straight on there, raw dough? I would be afraid it would get gooey and fall between the grill slats. But that crispiness looks amazing and I use my grill almost every night in the summer.
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Single Serving Cookie Recipe

16 Courtney May 21, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yup! It’s actually very easy…I wrote up some more details about how I do it in this old post: http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2010/04/23/pizza-on-the-grill/

17 Linda May 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm

OK – you have Bob intrigued. Guess what we will be having soon!

18 Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm

This looks good! Wish i had a grill now :)
Angela @ Sleep and Repeat recently posted..Northampton, Massachusetts: Smith Ivy Day and Day Drinking

19 Lisa May 21, 2012 at 12:17 am

This looks so good! I have actually never tried grilled pizza. I just wouldn’t have thought to grill it ever, but it looks absolutely perfect. I’m going to need to try this out sometime this summer!
Lisa recently posted..Sweat It Out

20 Khushboo Thadani May 21, 2012 at 1:30 am

Grilled pizza is the best! I’m voting for a strength training workout :)
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Friday Favorites

21 Stephanie @ The Travelling Tastebuds May 21, 2012 at 3:17 am

I love homemade pizza… but did you know that not all cheeses melt in the oven? Like crumbled feta. So bizarre.

22 Sid May 21, 2012 at 5:12 am

I have tried grilled pizza and they are yummier than the regularly cooked ones, at least for my taste
Sid recently posted..Mother of the bride plus size dresses

23 Miz May 21, 2012 at 6:29 am

ok we’ve ever ever done this!
my husband would marry pizza if he could
we have a badass grill.
MUST TRY!!
Miz recently posted..If mama aint healthy–aint nobody healthy.

24 Linz @ Itz Linz May 21, 2012 at 7:51 am

YUM!! how about some total body workouts?
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Gumption

25 liz May 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

This looks good! I’ve been wanting to try grilled pizza, any tips? How long did it cook for and did it stick to the grates of the grill at all? Thanks!

26 Courtney May 21, 2012 at 8:31 am

As long as you spray the grates you shouldn’t have any sticking. It’s really VERY easy to make! I wrote about it in more detail on this post, so that should help! :)

27 Jennifer May 21, 2012 at 8:14 am

The grilled pizza looks delish! I haven’t tried that for a long time…need to do it again soon! As for the exercises….I’m with Karina on this one….how about some killer thigh and butt exercises….incorporating cardio/plyo with strength training. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for us!

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 21, 2012 at 8:18 am

I NEED to try grilled pizza!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Energizing Foods

29 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 21, 2012 at 8:29 am

I love grilling pizza! We did it quite often last summer. I am totally going to do it again this summer but maybe make my own dough this time. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Lady Antebellum Kind Of Weekend!…

30 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 21, 2012 at 8:37 am

That’s such a good idea! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that sooner! Grilling reminds me of summertime, can’t wait!! :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Classic Mexican Cuisine

31 Kathryn L May 21, 2012 at 8:48 am

What kind of pizza dough to you use? I tried this a couple weeks ago and it was a disaster! The dough was too “gooey” to work with.

32 Debbie May 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

what kind of dough do you use? i really want to try grilling pizza it looks so good!
Debbie recently posted..By: celebration sushi « Accidently Delish

33 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

this looks fabulous!! I wish we had a grill to do this!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..full body circuit

34 Meghan May 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Workout Request: LEGS!!!! Namely that pesky area right below your rear that isn’t really your thigh but isn’t really your butt… oh and inner thighs :)

35 Jen Correa @ Mom's Gotta Run May 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

You just put the raw dough on the grill?
Jen Correa @ Mom’s Gotta Run recently posted..To Sleep or Not To Sleep

36 Janetha May 21, 2012 at 2:23 pm

This is, hands down, our favorite summer meal!
Janetha recently posted..weekend wrap-up.

37 Carly May 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

So jealous! I love grilled pizza; that’s funny about the cheddar because once a cooking demo I went to it was an owner of a pizza parlor and he said that people love the cheese blends when you mix cheddar in! He was saying how Italians might be offended though(: haha

38 Shannon May 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Grilled pizza looks so delicious. I haven’t thought of it before!

39 Adri @FoodieBeFit May 22, 2012 at 9:24 am

Yum! Nothing like pizza with crispy, crispy crust. Haven’t done it on the grill before though, will have to try soon!
Adri @FoodieBeFit recently posted..Slow Is The New Fast