I’ve Been Missing Out

by Courtney on May 21, 2012

Tonight’s dinner was, hands down, the best thing I’ve eaten all day. So simple, yet so incredibly delicious and satisfying…and WOAH, talk about filling!

As soon as I got home from my afternoon shift, I got right to work on getting dinner ready. I was on my own, since Jay had to work late, so I knew I could have whatever the heck I wanted. Sometimes, I like having that option. Smile

The first part of dinner included a fresh, veggie salad complete with romaine, cucumbers, tomatoes, baby carrots, onions, pickles, edamame, and a drizzle of Italian dressing.

The edamame (which I have in the freezer and just cooked up quick in the microwave and shelled) was a great addition. I’ve totally been missing out!

Along with my salad I cooked up a huge sweet potato (microwaved for 2 minutes, coated with spray butter, salt, and pepper, then cooked in the oven for about 20 minutes). I’ve recently seen a few of you out there top your sweet ‘taters with peanut butter and I’ve been slightly intrigued…so I went for it.

Ummm, okay…you folks are SMART. Looks like there’s two things I’ve been missing out on!

Totally lovin’ this combo…so much so that I wound up eating the entire thing, rather than saving half like I was originally planning (it may not look big, but I promise, it was a beast).

I really did not need the whole thing, and now my tummy is giving me a nice, constant little reminder of that…oh yeah, and Cody is totally judging me too.

Ahh well…at least it wasn’t something like cupcakes, right? Winking smile

Either way, it was totally delish, and also a perfect meal idea for those of you who may like to partake in Meatless Monday too. Woop!

I’ve got lots to do tonight…got some things coming up…some ideas happening…some new stuff on the horizon…lots of excitement, indeed!

Question for the Evening:

Are there any particular foods that you have a hard time “holding back” on? (i.e., you plan to save half but, umm, whoooops.)

1 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm

never heard of a sweet potato and peanut butter, but I love trying new things! I’m pretty sure I would love peanut butter on anything, anyways!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..new beachbody programs

2 Katy May 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Chips and salty snacks of any kind, especially Cheez-it. Even if I portion, I end up getting up and eating the whole bag/box.
Katy recently posted..The Triple Threat: Carbs, Protein, and Fats

3 briana May 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I have a yummy cupcake to eat tonight, so I’m sticking to salad for dinner! The salad will definately be giant though!

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 21, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I love sweet potatoes – I could eat them every day I think! I cannot hold back on Goldfish – they are my true weakness!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Roasted Vegetable Lasagna

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm

i LOVE that sweet potato + peanut butter combo. i’m glad you enjoyed it! :) i usually intend to hold back on a second serving of dessert, but every once in awhile it just has to happen. what can i say, i just love my desserts!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Get To Know Us {Ryan and Molly}

6 Megan@ The Running Doc May 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm

This is the first time I’ve heard of putting peanut butter on sweet potatoes but I love peanut butter and I love sweet potatoes so why not combine them! I just bought 2 sweet potatoes at the grocery store today so I might have to try this!

7 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Pizza is my weakness, and I can never “hold back” on it! I have a feeling if I tried that sweet potato and peanut butter combo it might become a weakness of mine as well!!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Weekend of love!

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Never even seen peanut butter on a sweet potato!!! I have been craving a sweet potato all day- maybe I should be brave….
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Holy Ouch! ….Week 24 & 25…

9 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 21, 2012 at 8:08 pm

You’ve never had sweet potato with PB?? Almond butter is great too. With cinnamon ;)
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..First Times That Keep Happening

10 Lauren May 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I’ve been adding edamame to my salads for the past year and it has easily become my favorite salad ingredient. Oh and the nut butter on sweet potatoes is THE BOMB!
Lauren recently posted..A Little Bit of Everything

11 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 21, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I’ve been topping my sweet potatoes with guacamole and salsa recently. It is SO good! I think I need to try peanut butter next!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Farmers’ Market (+ a Panini recipe!)

12 Coco May 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I would DEF have eaten the whole thing. Sweet potatoes and PB are my 2 favorite foods, so I don’t know why I haven’t tried it…
Coco recently posted..A Special Anniversary

13 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction May 21, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Your dinner looks really yummy and colorful!! For me I can not hold back on frozen yogurt! Obvi!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Classic Mexican Cuisine

14 erica May 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

i have never heard of sweet potato/peanut butter combo. but now i am going to have to try it!!!
erica recently posted..{birthday trip}: goodbye california

15 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath May 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm

love your new profile picture and had to say something! sounds like you had a fun photoshoot! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Back to Myself (and Blogging)

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm

One of my favorite go to dinners is a salad and sweet potato!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..things i’m loving this summer

17 Tara Deal May 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm

My food that I never hold back on is cookie dough when baking and peanut butter…..
Tara Deal recently posted..Chocolate Coconut Water Love

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I have to try the sweet potato & pb combo!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: Quaker Real Medleys

19 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony May 21, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Can’t wait to try the sweet potato and peanut butter combo! We go to a restaurant here that makes a killer salad with grilled chicken, edamame, and fresh mozzarella. So good!
I have a hard time holding back on these homemade oatmeal raisin cranberry cookies I just recently got the recipe for. I have a couple, but then I dream about them, so into the freezer they go!
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..I Killed It

20 Julie May 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Okay, you’re not alone; I’ve never had sweet potatoes with PB, either! Might have to try that tonight. :-) I was looking for something creative, so thanks! As far as what I can’t hold back on…Salty snacks! I rarely eat them, but when I do, I just can’t get enough cheesy crackers, chips, or pretzels.
Julie recently posted..Summer Style

21 Jenny May 21, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Why is PB good on EVERYTHING!! it’s so sneaky :)
Jenny recently posted..New York Favorites

22 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous May 21, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I have so never heard of a sweet potatoe and peanut butter, but I love them both. This will so have to happen in the future. Peanut butter is definitely my hard to say not to food. If the jar opens, I’m doomed! Hahaha oh well, what can you do! :)
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..A Delicious Giveaway!

23 Kattreena May 21, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Glad you tried this and loved it! I don’t know how I went so long without topping my sweet potato with pb! It’s also delish with raisins and granola added to the pb! :)

24 Annette@FitnessPerks May 21, 2012 at 11:47 pm

I LOVE sweet taters with AB + honey + cinnamon + plain Greek yogurt. It is AMAZING.

Excited for you<–whatever the new stuff is!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..The Secret To Meal Planning

25 Karleen curran May 22, 2012 at 12:16 am

I have a huuuuuuuuge sweet tooth. I can ‘hold back’ on frozen yogurt. When I’m feeling especially ‘weak,’ I have to reroute my drive home to avoid my favorite froyo place! Bad I know:/

26 Lisa May 22, 2012 at 12:20 am

I love sweet potato and peanut butter, if you ever buy coconut butter it is even better. I can’t get enough of that combination.
Lisa recently posted..Carrot cake granola and winner!

27 Haley B May 22, 2012 at 1:11 am

Sweet potato + peanut butter? That sounds like something I definitely need to try. I LOVE sweet potatoes, but I usually top them with cinnamon and soy sauce. Is that weird?

As for food that makes me lose self-control…any chocolate candy.

28 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’ve never heard of that combo! I won’t say weird…but it is interesting :)

29 Khushboo Thadani May 22, 2012 at 1:53 am

Yesss for that combo! I recently got on the bandwagon with roasted kabocha squash & almond butter and it really is unbelievably delicious! Lately I’ve been ending my night with a bowl of yogurt & almonds and I almost always (scratch the almost bit) go back for seconds :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..To eat or not to eat?

30 Kristine More May 22, 2012 at 6:45 am

The foods are really delicious. These are recommended foods to eat if you need more nutrients. Eating more veggies is really good to the body.
Kristine More recently posted..vigorelle reviews

31 Courtney May 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

Is this the comment you thought went to spam, Khushboo? :)

32 Michelle@PeachyPalate May 22, 2012 at 2:30 am

I need to try the PB and Sweet Potato combo, being seeing it everywhere lately! Looks yum!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Brownie Bites and Supersets

33 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 22, 2012 at 7:23 am

I still haven’t tried peanut butter on a sweet potato. It looks good but I’m nervous to try it. I definitely plan on trying it in the future :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Do You Luna?!…

34 Linz @ Itz Linz May 22, 2012 at 7:51 am

i have not tried the sweet potato + pb combo yet! i just got on board with the sweet potato + cinnamon + coconut oil… amazing!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz All Greek To Me

35 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’ve been meaning to try the whole pb-on-sweet-potatoes trend, too! I’m still loving my laughing cow light on it, but I’ll try it eventually. :)

36 Alysha @Shesontherun May 22, 2012 at 9:51 am

I LOVE sweet potatoes but I don’t have the guts to put PB on top – I like it simple with a little butter, salt and pepper. I have a super hard time with cake and keeping it to one slice. I’m the type of girl to take little “side cars” when they really add up to a whole piece.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Weekend Update

37 Amy May 22, 2012 at 10:18 am

Okay so I had no idea what to eat last night, and then I read your blog, and then I tried it … how have I never tried sweet potato w peanut butter?!! It is soooo good! Definitely going out today to buy more sweet potatoes! Thanks for sharing :)
Amy recently posted..What I Munched on Monday

38 Shana May 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

I love edamame on salad. You can also buy the frozen kind already shelled. I just run it under warm water for a minute or two in a colander to thaw and then it’s ready for salads or snackin’!
Shana recently posted..Blog Break

39 Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp May 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Pita chips. I absolutely cannot buy them anymore because the entire bag will be gone in two days or less. Aaaaand being totally honest usually it’s just one day…Oh boy.
Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..Dijon & Herb Panko-Crusted Salmon

40 Vanessa G May 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I just had a sweet potato with pb 5 min ago!! Yummy!! I’m glad you finally tried it. I eat bug salads and potatoes(sometimes sweet, sometimes russett). It is filling and soooo good! I have a hard time holding back on any kind of food. So, whatever I put on my plate, I eat. I just make sure that I don’t put too much. :)

41 Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I’ve seen sweet potatoes with almond butter before, but not peanut butter. Any nut butter on sweet potatoes seems weird but I’m sure some day I’ll give in to the trend and try it out!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Fit Body, Fit Mind: Emily

42 Shannon May 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Chocolate cream pie- I always, always, always say that I’m just going to have a couple slices and leave the rest for another day. A day passes by and the majority of the pie is gone…by me. :)