30 Minute Incline Walk (with Beginner Options)

by Courtney on May 23, 2012

So, I’ve totally been meaning to share this walking workout with you guys since last Friday. Whoops.

I mentioned the workout quickly last week and I ended up doing it again over the weekend. It’s perfect for those days when you might not be quite in the mood to run, but you still want to push yourself.

Enter: Intervals + Killer Inclines

30 Minute Incline Walk

You’ll notice that there isn’t too much of a change in speeds, but the inclines will definitely be noticed. As always, feel free to adjust everything according to your own fitness levels. I’ve got some long legs, so I can walk at a 4.5…for some of you, that may sound crazy. No worries…make it work for YOU.

For those of you who may just be starting out on your fitness journey, or are just looking for something a little less intense, I put together a beginner version of the same workout with slightly lower speeds and inclines.

30 Minute Incline Walk Beginner

If you’ve got a little extra time and want to include some strength and/or core work with your walking intervals, feel free to pair this routine up with one of the following circuits:

By the time you finish, I’d be willing to put money on the fact that you’ll be a nice, sweaty mess. Winking smile

1 Melissa @ SquatsandSquash May 23, 2012 at 1:03 pm

haha walking at a 4.5 is ridiculously difficult for me for some reason!! but I love incline walking workouts, they definitely work the booty area!! I just may use one of these today, thanks!
Melissa @ SquatsandSquash recently posted..DIY Taco Seasoning

2 Megan@ The Running Doc May 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

My short legs would definitely be running at 4.5! I’m going to pin this so I can have it handy the next time I’m just not feeling a running workout, which knowing me will be sooner rather than later!
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..A Quarter Century

3 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I’ve been nursing an achy knee for the past few weeks and I’ve been using your walking intervals instead of running! I’m loving them — can’t wait to change it up with this new one :)
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..High Five for Friday

4 Annie May 23, 2012 at 1:27 pm

At the grand total of 4″9.5 4.5mph is definitely past the walking stage for me lol! Funnily enough, I actually did a similar workout today plus some ab work ;)

I’ve recently been adding incline walking to my workouts but I’ve been wondering: compared to running, which body parts benefit the most from it? Is it good for our booties and hips? I’d love to get rid of my lovehandles!

5 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I did incline workouts yesterday at the gym! Mine was sliiiighty different. We started at 10 and went up in incline but the speed was much lower (from 3.0 to 3.5). Listen to Courtney when she says you’ll be a sweaty mess when you’re done. SO TRUE! I was sweating for a good five minutes AFTER I got off the treadmill ;)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..50 Shades of Sweat

6 Alysha @Shesontherun May 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I am so printing this out :) I love incline walking. As a runner, it’s a great change of pace for workouts.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Peanut Butter S’mores Rice Krispie Treats

7 Annette@FitnessPerks May 23, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love incline walking! It’s great for booty burn + reading :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Strength Is Required

8 Sana May 23, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Totally jelly of your long legs, I have nubbins!
Sana recently posted..It’s A lot Easier When You Have Nothing To Do.

9 Michelle @ Blogitness May 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Definitely printing this out!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Guest Post: Running and Recovery

10 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I have short legs but have learned to speed up my walking speed. NYC does that to you :)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Vegging Out for Radish Season

11 Anita May 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Oh thank you this is perfect! I was just trying to put together my workout for today :) I’ll add on a little strength training, too.