A Hot One

by Courtney on May 30, 2012

Well good morning, friends! Sorry for no post last night…we lost power around 5:00pm due to the thunderstorms that rolled through and it didn’t turn back on until about 10:30, as I was lying in bed in that awkwardly creepy dead silence. Anyone else have a hard time sleeping without noise? We always, even in the winter, sleep with a fan running, so we were quite thankful for our return of power.

So anyway…here’s the post I had written up last night!

*****

It was a hot one up in here today, folks. A HOT one.

And that was before it even hit noon.

Now, don’t get me wrong…I love me some warmer months. BUT, it is still only May, right? I mean, we don’t have usually have this kind of heat for at least another month. And by then, we at least have our A.C. up and running so I can hide out in the bedroom if need be.

I’m pretty sure the heat was playing games with my appetite today, because it was basically non-existent for most of the afternoon, which is quite rare. Around 2:00, I ended up making myself a yogurt bowl.

Plain Chobani, strawberries, blueberries, Love Grown Foods granola.

I also ended up dipping a pineapple SOYJOY bar into my yogurt, which was really good.

I’d be wiling to bet that this flavor would be awesome crumbled on top of my tropical muesli!

A short while later, I also snacked on a leftover cookie bar from yesterday.

I tried finding the original recipe online for you guys, but I had no such luck. I CAN tell you, however, that the recipe came from Two Peas and Their Pod and the recipe is “Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars.” Perhaps I was just too lazy to look further for it earlier (I had printed it out a while ago), but if you find it, keep it. It’s delicious.

The heat continued well into the afternoon today and we made it up to a whopping high of 86 degrees in the house.

It didn’t take long before it started to take a toll on my little…errr, big, furball.

This guy was sprawled out all over the place today and was actually quite a good source of entertainment for me.

Around 5:00, we heard that there were some pretty heavy storms about to roll through, so we did the only natural thing and sat out on the back deck and waited for them to arrive.

We both love thunderstorms but they almost ALWAYS miss where we live, so we were psyched to see that they were actually headed our way. The clouds were moving like crazy, and before we knew it, we had a full-blown storm.

It was a pretty good one…didn’t last long though.

But about two-thirds of the way through the storm, we ended up losing power. Booo.

Leftovers from Monday for dinner tonight, easy peasy. A quick shift at work tonight and then its back home to a house with (*hopefully*) power. If you’re reading this post, then that means we’re back in business! <—Yes, only 12 hours later. Winking smile

*****

Back to regularly scheduled blog posts later today!

Question for the Morning:

If your home lost power entirely and you could only return power to ONE item, what would it be?

If I knew it was going to be longer than 24 hours, I’d say the refrigerator. If it was just a couple hours and it was hot out? Then definitely a fan. Definitely.

1 Michelle (Better with Berries) May 30, 2012 at 7:34 am

I was going to say the exact same two things you did! I need a fan at night because 1) it’s hot! and 2) the noise helps me sleep. I don’t like noises from TVs, etc. at night, but I do like the soft sound of a fan.
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW: A Wedding and The Lake

2 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life May 30, 2012 at 7:36 am

I agree with you, I would definitely choose the refrigerator if I had to power one thing. It is way too easy for everything to spoil in the fridge if the power goes out for even a couple hours. Glad your power turned back on! :-)
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Punkeelove Headbands Giveaway

3 Khushboo Thadani May 30, 2012 at 7:41 am

Oh man do I feel for you! A few months ago we had a 24-hour power cut which was brutal! We live on the 15th floor and walking up was no fun…nor was sitting in the dark & heat for the most part! Oh and my iPod, phone and laptop batteries all died which was a recipe for disaster! And of course there Iwas worried that all my yogurt & cheese in the fridge would go off! Times like that really make us appreciate what we otherwise take for granted, eh!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Body For Life: Final Recap

4 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 30, 2012 at 7:42 am

I’d probably agree with the fridge. I hate the idea of wasting food!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Pesto Personal Pizza

5 Sabrina @ Work It Ms, Jackson May 30, 2012 at 7:52 am

That a tough one. It depends on the time of year. I’m inclined to say my refrigerator because I hate to lose everything in there, but then I want to say to AC or heat, depending on the time of year. When I was in 6th grade, we had a wicked ice storm come through the Atlanta area and we were without power for about 24 hours and it was so cold. We walked around the house bundled in layers of pants, sweatshirts, blankets, anything to keep us warm. So that’s a hard one. Great question!

I’m with you on storms passing through. I LOVE thunderstorms but they often tend to pass right by Savannah. Well, except for this tropical storm, which was actually pretty disappointing. We didn’t get nearly as much rain and winds as they said we would. And the thunderstorms they said would pop up…..nothing.

I am glad you have your power back now!
Sabrina @ Work It Ms, Jackson recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

6 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 30, 2012 at 8:00 am

Not having power stinks big time. The weather has been horrible around here too, especially the humidity! The thunderstorms rolled through NYC last night too and we just made it home when it started to come down.

Stay cool!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Memorial Day Bikes and BBQ

7 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 30, 2012 at 8:06 am

I don’t know what I’d choose between the fan or the fridge. I need a fan to sleep too, even in the dead of winter!

8 Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel May 30, 2012 at 8:07 am

Yes! Definitely the refrigerator! Would be so bad if all of the food would go to spoil!
Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel recently posted..That’s one huge Peony. #rose #flowers #peonies (Taken…

9 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope May 30, 2012 at 8:09 am

I definitely have to agree with you! The refrigerator. It would be way too expensive to replace everything in there. I’m sorry you had no electricity! That is the worst.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Floral Sneak Peek, Tuxedos, and A DIY Sneak Peek..

10 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 30, 2012 at 8:12 am

Losing power is the WORST! I guess I’d have to say I’d want the refridgerator to stay running, since ours is usually jam packed!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Favorite Summer Recipes

11 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 30, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hmmm if we lost power for only 24 hours, I’d say I would want the AC or heat (depending on the time of year) to be on! Cody is sooooo precious…those pics make me just want to rub his belly! And when it’s super hot out like it has been, I find that my appetite isn’t as big as usual…weird haha.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..My Wedding Veil

12 Kate May 30, 2012 at 8:28 am

Your cat is gorgeous! Super jealous. To add to a already huge vote, it has to be the fridge. No yogurt is just plain crazy. And Chobani is amazing – we only just got it in Australia and I already get upset when it’s out of stock.

13 Blog is the New Black May 30, 2012 at 8:29 am

Losing power is terrible. No lights? I died the last time it happened.
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Good Old Fashioned Pancakes

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 30, 2012 at 8:32 am

The refrigerator for sure! I hate not being able to open it up- at all- to save coolness….. If it is night though- I would need a light! I am not a fan of the dark unless I’m sleeping!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Don’t wake me! …26 weeks

15 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 30, 2012 at 8:48 am

I love thunderstorms too but we don’t get them much in NH either. I used to live in Houston where we got them all the time – I miss that!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW) #7

16 sherri May 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

Found this on Google (same recipe?):
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
One 12-ounce bag bittersweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups mini pretzels, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles (I didn’t use these)

Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray.
In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a mixer, beat the butter with both sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. On low, beat in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Press the batter down with a spatula. If you want to use the sprinkles, sprinkle them on top of the batter. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. The middle might be a little gooey but that is ok, the bars will set up. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely.
Use a knife to go around the side of the pan to loosen the bars. Cut the bars in squares and serve.

17 Courtney May 30, 2012 at 9:26 am

Yup! That’s it! :)

18 Lindsey May 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

The fridge for sure. I would hate for food to go bad! haha. Plus I can read blogs on my cell phone ;)
Lindsey recently posted..Bedtime Yoga

19 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

It’s very warm here too! We’ve had the AC on several times this year already, because it’s too hard to sleep when it’s this warm!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Just Get Rid of Him Already

20 Megan@ The Running Doc May 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

I ALWAYS sleep with a fan on, not for the cool air, but for the noise! I can never fall asleep in a dead quite house. And if I had to choose one thing to keep on, no question it would be the AC. My car said 108 yesterday after work so I need AC in my life!
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Best.Gift.Ever.

21 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

I can’t sleep when it’s silent either! It drives me crazy!! I always need either the TV, fan, or sometimes BOTH to be on for me to fall asleep. I wonder why we need the noise?
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Chicken Orzo Summer Salad

22 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! May 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

I would choose….the fridge/freezer too ebcause i def wouldnt want stuff to go bad! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Fifty Shades of F’d Up

23 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog May 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thankfully I wouldn’t have to choose, my parents got tired of doing that during hurricanes and installed a big generator that kicks in after about 10 seconds. You can’t turn all the ac on but you can at least turn it on the bed rooms, power the tvs and laptops, and the fridgerators. All the important stuff.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #4

24 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona May 30, 2012 at 9:39 am

I’d have to vote for the fridge too. It would get expensive pretty fast otherwise to replace all that food.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Last Physio Appointment

25 B @ Crags and Veggies May 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

Ugh, it’s been so hot here too! I hate those nasty storms in the afternoon. Yesterdays just lasted 30 minutes here, but of course when it’s storming hard, that’s when I have to go to my car. I would definitely say the refrigerator. It’s so expensive to replace everything in it! And I just feel bummed out that so much food goes to waste! Love the post girl!
B @ Crags and Veggies recently posted..Dressed up Burgers and Fries

26 Yellow Haired Girl May 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

Definitely the fridge! Girl’s gotta eat :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Thanks and WIAW

27 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie May 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

My dog looks exactly the same all weekend — too hot for the little guys in fur coats!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Beautiful Lake Run

28 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

If my house were 86 degrees, I’d be laying around like the kitty too! Whew – toasty! I’d pick the fridge for my one powered item, but the AC is a close second.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Swimming… or at least not drowning

29 JN May 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

When our power went out last summer, from Hurricane Irene, all I wanted was for the fridge to have power. I can survive without anything else, but I hated thinking about throwing out food. We were without power for about 34 hours, which really wasn’t a long time compared to some folks.

30 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony May 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I agree! We were without power for 5 days from Hurricane Irene. In fact our town was declared a disaster area, and we couldn’t get out of our complex for three days due to flooding and power lines. When we finally could go get ice, there was hardly any stores that were sold out, and with my sister and 1 month year old nephew across the street we were so worried about the quality of food since she was nursing. Tough times!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Wiping the Plate Clean

31 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony May 30, 2012 at 1:09 pm

*weren’t
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Wiping the Plate Clean

32 JN May 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Ugh! Five days! That’s awful :( Glad everyone was all right though!

33 Neha May 30, 2012 at 11:22 am

The yogurt looks delicious with all its colors.YUM!And plus point,super healthy.=)

34 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers May 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

I can’t sleep without noice. It’s so weird when there is complete silence. Can make someone go crazy! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Pancake Popovers

35 Alysha @Shesontherun May 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’m in advertising and Honeywell is one of our clients :) BTW, i would definitely pick the chest freezer. We tend to buy extra meat and frozen fruit when it’s on sale. I cringe at throwing food away!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter: My New Obsession

36 Emily @ I'd Rather Walk May 30, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Those clouds look incredible! I would have been on the back porch, too.
Emily @ I’d Rather Walk recently posted..In Honor of Our Vets: Cornhole and Sangria

37 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy May 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I know I will be regretting this statement later on in the summer..but I CANNOT WAIT to have heat like you guys have!!

Not to add to the stereotype that Canada is cold (igloos, sled dogs and eskimos year round?!)..but our summer does not arrive till late June AND we have been having SO MUCH rain lately.

Sigh.
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..What Pilates Will Not Do For You (or why Pilates does not equal looking like Pippa Middleton)

38 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Well the first thing that came to mind was my hair straightener! As I read through everyone else’s comments, I was thinking to myself that I sound kinda vain, but if you could see my hair in hot humid weather, you would see why my straightener was my first reaction :-D
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..What I Ate (on Memorial Day Wkd) Wednesday

39 Mikayla May 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

And I thought it was strange that I sleep with the fan on every night! It’s nice to know I’m not alone and that so many others enjoy the same :)
Mikayla recently posted..The Key to Motivation

40 Shannon May 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm

No worries on the timing- it’s not your fault that the power didn’t come back on until 10:30 at night. I didn’t lose power in the storm but when it ended, we lost the phone. Yup, no landline service so whoever needs to contact us can’t. This morning, we lost our wireless and Internet. (Thankfully, I have the public library’s computers to catch up blog reading :) ). Thanks Verizon. We called this afternoon to tell customer service what was wrong (no phone, Internet/wireless) and the customer service representative said that our family was on their priority list. Yay!

Ironically, we’re not much of a priority due to the fact they are not available to come help us until….June 7th. Yes- a whopping 8 days from tonight without phones & Internet like the old days. Grrrrreeeeeeeeat. So right now, I’m SUPER cheery (aka not at all). We’re the only one on the street that has this problem- the neighbors to my right have Time Warner and the neighbors on my left have Verizon and they’re fine.

If I lost power entirely and could only have one power source, it’d have to be a fan if it was hot out. If it was longer than 24 hours, I’d say the computer so I could keep in touch with friends close by and see how they were doing.

41 Courtney May 30, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Awww man, Shannon, that stinks! Good luck – hopefully they come sooner :)