A Hot One

Well good morning, friends! Sorry for no post last night…we lost power around 5:00pm due to the thunderstorms that rolled through and it didn’t turn back on until about 10:30, as I was lying in bed in that awkwardly creepy dead silence. Anyone else have a hard time sleeping without noise? We always, even in the winter, sleep with a fan running, so we were quite thankful for our return of power.

So anyway…here’s the post I had written up last night!

*****

It was a hot one up in here today, folks. A HOT one.

And that was before it even hit noon.

Now, don’t get me wrong…I love me some warmer months. BUT, it is still only May, right? I mean, we don’t have usually have this kind of heat for at least another month. And by then, we at least have our A.C. up and running so I can hide out in the bedroom if need be.

I’m pretty sure the heat was playing games with my appetite today, because it was basically non-existent for most of the afternoon, which is quite rare. Around 2:00, I ended up making myself a yogurt bowl.

Plain Chobani, strawberries, blueberries, Love Grown Foods granola.

I also ended up dipping a pineapple SOYJOY bar into my yogurt, which was really good.

I’d be wiling to bet that this flavor would be awesome crumbled on top of my tropical muesli!

A short while later, I also snacked on a leftover cookie bar from yesterday.

I tried finding the original recipe online for you guys, but I had no such luck. I CAN tell you, however, that the recipe came from Two Peas and Their Pod and the recipe is “Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars.” Perhaps I was just too lazy to look further for it earlier (I had printed it out a while ago), but if you find it, keep it. It’s delicious.

The heat continued well into the afternoon today and we made it up to a whopping high of 86 degrees in the house.

It didn’t take long before it started to take a toll on my little…errr, big, furball.

This guy was sprawled out all over the place today and was actually quite a good source of entertainment for me.

Around 5:00, we heard that there were some pretty heavy storms about to roll through, so we did the only natural thing and sat out on the back deck and waited for them to arrive.

We both love thunderstorms but they almost ALWAYS miss where we live, so we were psyched to see that they were actually headed our way. The clouds were moving like crazy, and before we knew it, we had a full-blown storm.

It was a pretty good one…didn’t last long though.

But about two-thirds of the way through the storm, we ended up losing power. Booo.

Leftovers from Monday for dinner tonight, easy peasy. A quick shift at work tonight and then its back home to a house with (*hopefully*) power. If you’re reading this post, then that means we’re back in business! <—Yes, only 12 hours later. Winking smile

*****

Back to regularly scheduled blog posts later today!

Question for the Morning:

If your home lost power entirely and you could only return power to ONE item, what would it be?

If I knew it was going to be longer than 24 hours, I’d say the refrigerator. If it was just a couple hours and it was hot out? Then definitely a fan. Definitely.

Comments

Oh man do I feel for you! A few months ago we had a 24-hour power cut which was brutal! We live on the 15th floor and walking up was no fun…nor was sitting in the dark & heat for the most part! Oh and my iPod, phone and laptop batteries all died which was a recipe for disaster! And of course there Iwas worried that all my yogurt & cheese in the fridge would go off! Times like that really make us appreciate what we otherwise take for granted, eh!
    Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Body For Life: Final Recap

That a tough one. It depends on the time of year. I’m inclined to say my refrigerator because I hate to lose everything in there, but then I want to say to AC or heat, depending on the time of year. When I was in 6th grade, we had a wicked ice storm come through the Atlanta area and we were without power for about 24 hours and it was so cold. We walked around the house bundled in layers of pants, sweatshirts, blankets, anything to keep us warm. So that’s a hard one. Great question!

I’m with you on storms passing through. I LOVE thunderstorms but they often tend to pass right by Savannah. Well, except for this tropical storm, which was actually pretty disappointing. We didn’t get nearly as much rain and winds as they said we would. And the thunderstorms they said would pop up…..nothing.

I am glad you have your power back now!
    Sabrina @ Work It Ms, Jackson recently posted..Happy Memorial Day!

3. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

Not having power stinks big time. The weather has been horrible around here too, especially the humidity! The thunderstorms rolled through NYC last night too and we just made it home when it started to come down.

Stay cool!
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Memorial Day Bikes and BBQ

Hmmm if we lost power for only 24 hours, I’d say I would want the AC or heat (depending on the time of year) to be on! Cody is sooooo precious…those pics make me just want to rub his belly! And when it’s super hot out like it has been, I find that my appetite isn’t as big as usual…weird haha.
    Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..My Wedding Veil

Your cat is gorgeous! Super jealous. To add to a already huge vote, it has to be the fridge. No yogurt is just plain crazy. And Chobani is amazing – we only just got it in Australia and I already get upset when it’s out of stock.

6. sherri says

Found this on Google (same recipe?):
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Pretzel Bars
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    One 12-ounce bag bittersweet chocolate chips
    1 1/2 cups mini pretzels, coarsely chopped
    2 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles (I didn’t use these)

Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray.
    In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt. Using a mixer, beat the butter with both sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract. On low, beat in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips and pretzel pieces.
    Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Press the batter down with a spatula. If you want to use the sprinkles, sprinkle them on top of the batter. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown. The middle might be a little gooey but that is ok, the bars will set up. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely.
    Use a knife to go around the side of the pan to loosen the bars. Cut the bars in squares and serve.

I ALWAYS sleep with a fan on, not for the cool air, but for the noise! I can never fall asleep in a dead quite house. And if I had to choose one thing to keep on, no question it would be the AC. My car said 108 yesterday after work so I need AC in my life!
    Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Best.Gift.Ever.

Thankfully I wouldn’t have to choose, my parents got tired of doing that during hurricanes and installed a big generator that kicks in after about 10 seconds. You can’t turn all the ac on but you can at least turn it on the bed rooms, power the tvs and laptops, and the fridgerators. All the important stuff.
    Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #4

Ugh, it’s been so hot here too! I hate those nasty storms in the afternoon. Yesterdays just lasted 30 minutes here, but of course when it’s storming hard, that’s when I have to go to my car. I would definitely say the refrigerator. It’s so expensive to replace everything in it! And I just feel bummed out that so much food goes to waste! Love the post girl!
    B @ Crags and Veggies recently posted..Dressed up Burgers and Fries

10. JN says

When our power went out last summer, from Hurricane Irene, all I wanted was for the fridge to have power. I can survive without anything else, but I hated thinking about throwing out food. We were without power for about 34 hours, which really wasn’t a long time compared to some folks.

I know I will be regretting this statement later on in the summer..but I CANNOT WAIT to have heat like you guys have!!

Not to add to the stereotype that Canada is cold (igloos, sled dogs and eskimos year round?!)..but our summer does not arrive till late June AND we have been having SO MUCH rain lately.

Sigh.
    Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..What Pilates Will Not Do For You (or why Pilates does not equal looking like Pippa Middleton)

No worries on the timing- it’s not your fault that the power didn’t come back on until 10:30 at night. I didn’t lose power in the storm but when it ended, we lost the phone. Yup, no landline service so whoever needs to contact us can’t. This morning, we lost our wireless and Internet. (Thankfully, I have the public library’s computers to catch up blog reading :) ). Thanks Verizon. We called this afternoon to tell customer service what was wrong (no phone, Internet/wireless) and the customer service representative said that our family was on their priority list. Yay!

Ironically, we’re not much of a priority due to the fact they are not available to come help us until….June 7th. Yes- a whopping 8 days from tonight without phones & Internet like the old days. Grrrrreeeeeeeeat. So right now, I’m SUPER cheery (aka not at all). We’re the only one on the street that has this problem- the neighbors to my right have Time Warner and the neighbors on my left have Verizon and they’re fine.

If I lost power entirely and could only have one power source, it’d have to be a fan if it was hot out. If it was longer than 24 hours, I’d say the computer so I could keep in touch with friends close by and see how they were doing.