Sometimes Take-Out Is Just So Much Easier

by Courtney on May 31, 2012

Confession: I basically had all day today to figure something out for dinner…

But sometimes, take-out is just so much easier.

Jay and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out something to have here, but it’s pretty tough for him to decide on something when there isn’t meat involved. Is he said, “I’m a carnivore, I need my meat.” I gotcha, babe.

The only meat we had was in the freezer and neither of us were in much of a mood to work on defrosting it, so we went the lazy route tonight and ordered some Chinese and sushi take-out.

By the way, does anyone ever use even a quarter of the sauce packets they give you? Seriously…why so many?

Initially, I was just planning on getting a sushi roll assortment, but decided last minute to incorporate something new. I did still have a California roll (plus another California + sweet potato roll for Jay) which was yummy, as always.

But I also got an order of shrimp and mixed vegetables with steamed rice.

This dish was pretty good. The vegetables and shrimp were cooked well, but I didn’t totally love the sauce. Not really sure what I was expecting it to taste like, but that wasn’t it.

I ate just about all of the veggies, all but one shrimp, and only a small portion of the rice because I’m pretty sure there was enough in there for a family of four. Boy, they sure are generous all around, huh?

There’s a batch of cookies that need to be made this evening for my mother in-law, and I am reeeeally excited to see how they come out so I can share with you all. I’m also psyched to see so many of you on board with a yoga challenge…be on the lookout tomorrow! Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

What’s your favorite Chinese and/or sushi dish to get for take-out?

1 Katy @ Couch to 5Katy May 31, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Beef and Broccoli, Cashew Chicken, and Shrimp Fried Rice are my 3 favorite things! It is always hard to pick.
Katy @ Couch to 5Katy recently posted..Stupid Weather, Yummy Day

2 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 31, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Oh gosh, don’t I know those days— but I can’t get take out. Since the nearest take out is over 40 minutes one way. I always have to suck it up and figure something out….. I love sushi!! It has been years since I’ve gotten sushi!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Rockin’ Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter

3 CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com May 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm

we usually do take out once a week and chinese or sushi is always high on the list! i always get plain steamed shrimp and veggies and add plenty of Sricha! if we do sushi, I am all about my seaweed salad! im hungry for one right now :-)
CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com recently posted..Finding Inspiration In Unexpected Places

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 31, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I love the vegetarian sushi from Whole Foods – it’s such a good deal and so fresh!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..2012 summer reading list

5 Amy @ InspiredAmy May 31, 2012 at 7:55 pm

They really made sure you were set with the sauces! Better that than getting one packet of soy sauce which you have to savor ;) And cookies? I really hope they turn out awesome, I’m always looking for good cookie recipes :)
Amy @ InspiredAmy recently posted..Peanut Butter and Sweet Potato Love

6 Erin May 31, 2012 at 8:06 pm

We usually get Thai takeout when we get Asian food. And then I get Pad Se Ew with extra broccoli or Pad Thai. Plus spicy beef salad. Okay, now I want Thai food.
Erin recently posted..Busy, Busy

7 Michelle (Better with Berries) May 31, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Have fun making those cookies tonight!

I know what you mean about it taking forever to decide. There are some nights when my boyfriend and I sit around asking each other what the other wants for a good 20 minutes :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..WIAW: A Wedding and The Lake

8 Alysha @Shesontherun May 31, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’ve never gotten sushi takeout, but we get Chinese every few months. I tend to flop around between egg yo young, sweet and sour chicken and beef and broccoli
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Nutrition for Runners

9 lisa May 31, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I rarely get Chinese because our options are too greasy but my favorite sushi take-out is always spicy tuna roll and himachi nigiri, even better if they are made with brown rice.

10 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions May 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I’m a sucker for sweet and sour pork and cashew chicken. So bad, but so, so good. I haven’t had Chinese in FOREVER, though. It used to be my favorite food when I was little, but now that I feed myself a lot more I’d rather eat the food I’ve already got on hand than try to decide what I want from take out (usually ;) )
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

11 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance May 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love sesame beef and spicy tuna rolls!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Brussels Sprout Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette & the Gluten-Free Fad

12 Lauren May 31, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Sometimes, takeout just tastes better too! My favorite sushi is probably the spicy tuna roll and chinese, I tend to stay away from but Thai, I’m all over. The spicy eggplant has my name all over it! :)
Lauren recently posted..Good to Great

13 Pure2raw twins May 31, 2012 at 9:07 pm

so true! I have been busy with work lately that I have been eating out more than usual. but it sure is so nice when someone makes all the dirty dishes.
Pure2raw twins recently posted..Avocado Protein Pudding

14 Megan@ The Running Doc May 31, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I think every night when we’re down to just having frozen meat we end up getting takeout! It’s just so much easier than dealing with thawing meat!

And honestly, I think the place we get sushi from the most is the grocery store! It’s not the best sushi ever but not the worst either.
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..1200 Miles

15 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 31, 2012 at 9:34 pm

i love almost any sushi… my favorites are salmon + avocado rolls and california rolls!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..05/31: Thursday Thoughts

16 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat May 31, 2012 at 9:47 pm

If I’m going to get Chinese food I would get mandarin chicken, pork fried rice and beef and broccoli- oh gosh that sounds so good right now it’s been way too long!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Leg Workout and Tip

17 Lea May 31, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I always wondered the same thing about the packets, but then I was talking with a friend who used to work at Taco Bell and she said people would literally ask her for 20 packets of sauce when ordering two meals. So guess they want to make sure everyone gets enough? But just thinking about someone consuming that much soy sauce makes me feel bloated for them!
Lea recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

18 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I don’t normally crave Chinese, and just had sushi last week. I surprised myself in liking it :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Foodie PenPal Reveal

19 Khushboo May 31, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Sushi wins almost every time- love me some salmon avocado rolls!
Khushboo recently posted..Another reason to eat a salad…

20 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony May 31, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I love sushi over Chinese! Ever since I have tried purple/black rice, also called forbidden rice, I will never go back to white. It has such a great taste and it’s so much healthier. I love sushi with avocado, especially a salmon, tuna, avocado roll!
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..It Was a Zoo

21 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog May 31, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Sushi addict right here!! All of it looks awesome!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals #1

22 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 31, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Mmm I really need some sushi soon, I’ve been craving it! I don’t often order Chinese because while I love it, it doesn’t always sit well. But spring rolls or crab rangoon are definite favorites! (Plus some veggies!) :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..More Motivation / Keep Reading

23 Jessica May 31, 2012 at 11:10 pm

We love Chinese takeout!! Crab Rangoon is a favorite and California rolls and shrimp crunch rolls are a must have!! :) Our 3 year old & 1 year old love steamed rice w/ soy sauce so all that “generosity” rice comes in handy here at our house!

24 sherice@foodieluvsfitness June 1, 2012 at 12:59 am

Korean Beef Bulgogi and Egg Fu Young!!

25 Grace June 1, 2012 at 1:12 am

Hmmm…I love Pei Wei, the takeout version of P.F. Chang’s, we always get Honey Shrimp with Brown Rice, Egg Rolls and Crab Rangoons! So yummy!
Grace recently posted..If all of your friends jumped off a bridge…

26 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 1, 2012 at 6:20 am

If I’m going to get Chinese take-out, it’s gotta be Pei Wei! I’m so with you! We usually get the orange chicken and mongolian beef! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Chicken Pesto Personal Pizza

27 Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 1, 2012 at 3:07 am

I love Chinese! We have an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at the end of our street (seriously dangerous) and it’s actually pretty good quality considering there are so many dishes. I love chow mein!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..My First Foodie Penpal Box!

28 Leanne June 1, 2012 at 5:14 am

I don’t like the regular sauces they use in most Chinese (Asian) restaurants. Too sweet and too artificial for some reason… I used to love it as a kid but I haven’t had Chinese in 10 years, with one exception to try and see if I would like it again; but alas.. nope :p I do ADORE sushi so those rolls look amazing and make me hungry ;-) I’ve had the best sushi in Glendale, CA in 2004 and I’ve never had anything that good ~ some got close, but never that good ;-) (probably because of the whole I’m-on-a-holiday feeling, lol)
Leanne recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Busy day with a lot of ‘fast-food’

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 1, 2012 at 7:12 am

I love California rolls, but I think my all-time favorite are Philadelphia rolls… smoked salmon + cream cheese!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 15

30 Linz @ Itz Linz June 1, 2012 at 7:20 am

sushi would def be the spicy tuna roll!! mmmm!! yesterday i picked up some marinated kabobs for whole foods…. much easier than cooking… even though i, too, had all day long to do it! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Kabobs For Sale!

31 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 1, 2012 at 8:25 am

I love California rolls or the sushi place by me makes a southwestern roll with shrimp, and avocado! It combines two of my favorites Japanese and Mexican! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Happy National Donut Day & Dress Success Story!…

32 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 1, 2012 at 8:34 am

Sushi is my favorite food everrrrrrrr! I love the torched salmon maki! Mmm!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..One Happy Island

33 Courtney June 1, 2012 at 9:59 am

We ordered sushi last night as well! I was just not in the cooking mode. I love all sushi, but last night was spicy tuna and soft shell crab. YUM!

34 Adrienne June 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

Something I started doing when I got married was some serious meal planning. Every weekend (usually saturday) I sit down, decide how many meals we will be home for the following week. And then I begin looking through pinterest, my recipe books, and my cupboards for meal ideas. On the back side of the grocery list I put my actual meals to look back at for reference. I usually do 1-2 meals each week that can be made with frozen meat/cupboard staples/my usual produce items. This way if I get home late or decide I really don’t want to cook we can go out to dinner without wasting any produce. I always evaluate if there are days a crockpot meal is necessary (long workdays etc). It takes so much stress off my days and makes putting meals together much quicker.
Adrienne recently posted..Word Decor DIY

35 Courtney June 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I really need to start getting myself more organized like you, haha!

36 Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com June 1, 2012 at 12:57 pm

mmm, sushi is the best take-out food imo :)
Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com recently posted..It’s a wrap!

37 Shannon June 1, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Sesame Chicken from the Plum Blossom is to die for! I hope I can go back to that restaurant soon. I would order it for takeout but it’s not the closest Chinese restaurant to where I live, unfortunately.