Funny Story About a Cat on a Leash

by Courtney on June 5, 2012

Sooo, funny story about this one.

Yeah, that’s been him today. Quite the life. I swear, if he’s not flying through the air, he’s hanging around in what are usually some pretty provocative poses. But anyway…

The other day, I ended up purchasing a leash and a harness for my little buddy so he could chill outside with us, but tubby was a little too big for that one so I had to exchange it for a medium.

Well my first attempt at putting Codester in the harness was a little, umm, scary. I got him in no problem, brought him outside, and hooked him up to the fence. He was pretty timid and didn’t really seem like he knew what to do, but the little guy looked so cute that I decided to go run inside quick to grab my phone so I could text a picture of him to Jay.

By the time I got back outside, my man was flipping out, doing major kitty flips like it was his business. I threw my phone and ran over to try and help him but he somehow got himself right out of the harness, made a beeline for our back door (and proceeded to almost break the screen on the screen door in the process) and could not wait to get back in. The poor guy was so frazzled, and I had no idea what happened. After thinking about it more, I’m wondering if my leaving his site had anything to do with it, but I just felt so awful. Luckily, he’s fine, but I’m not attempting the leash and harness again until Jay is around too. Yikes.

Well yesterday, as I was taking it easy on the elliptical and checking my email on my phone, I came across a picture that Jay sent to me and I literally burst out laughing while ellipticaling away. No joke…the guy next to me looked over and said, “Wow, musta been a funny one?”

That it was…

image001

…because this is seriously what Cody looked like, I swear.

Jay came across this photo on a post from one of his favorite sites, The Chive. (He’s showed the site to me a couple times, but it’s definitely a “guys” site – lots of funny random videos and plenty of half naked ladies.) Sometimes, however, the animal posts are freakin’ hilarious, and this Cat Saturday post, featuring 36 random cat photos is great. Some of the photos had me laughing out loud, and for some reason, photo #11 struck me the funniest of any of them.

So, there’s a little bit of a random story for ya on this Tuesday afternoon. Winking smile

Now onto some eats…

Mid-morning I snacked on some carrots, celery, and hummus.

This was quite a random snack for me, considering I don’t usually introduce savory snacks into my day until after lunch time.

Around noon I put together a yogurt bowl.

This guy was made up of a plain Chobani, mixed with crushed pineapple, strawberries, honey nut O’s, and some Kashi Island Vanilla.

Awwww yeaaaahhh. Winking smile

I really need to run out to do a couple errands but I’m sort of under house arrest…

I’m currently waiting for UPS to deliver a package (finally ordered the new laptop) which is supposedly en route to the house, but it requires a signature and I really don’t want to miss them. Because that would be my luck that they’d stop by in the 15 minutes that I left.

Hopefully they get here soon…we’ve got a softball game later and I’ve got to head to work!

1 Ruthie Hart June 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

HAHAH that is hysterical about the cat leash…would he normally run off if he was outside without one? and I just sent that cat post of pictures to my husband who loves cats but is allergic :-)
Ruthie Hart recently posted..DIY No Sew Bunting

2 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction June 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

We have been letting our cat outside. She stays close to the house – I think she likes people to much to wander too far. She did sneak out during that thunderstorm last Tuesday and ended up soaked! Oops
That photo is hilarious!
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..I Was Tricked…. & A Recipe

3 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed June 5, 2012 at 2:01 pm

there are SEVERAL people who walk their cats here in Brooklyn. It’s the damndest thing, and looks sooooo weird, but hilarious.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Runners Do It Faster

4 Halley (Blunder Construction) June 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Poor Cody, what a scaredy cat :) I took Jelly out last year and will not be attempting it again this year.

The first time, he climbed under a bush and got himself so entangled that he actually broke free of his collar and leash. Next time, he wore a harness. He liked wandering around, but his big gut busted the belly strap after about 10 minutes! I think I have to get an XL harness for dogs or moose, more comparable to Jelly’s actual size than those little kitty harnesses! :)
Halley (Blunder Construction) recently posted..For Now, Cheesecake

5 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony June 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm

haha I love your story! I really need to remember to try the crushed pineapple and Greek yogurt……Every time I read it, I want some!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..In Shock

6 Brittanie @ Three Bracelets June 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’ve always seen leashes and harnesses for cats, but have been so curious if cats actually like them or respond well to them. I think this sums it up! Love the cat drawing!
Brittanie @ Three Bracelets recently posted..Four Years Ago

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

When you said you bought a harness for your cat before, I was very perplexed. I’ve never seen a cat in a harness and/or on a leash. I have seen a bunny on a leash though!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Spicy Citrus Almonds

8 Khushboo June 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hahah poor guy…at least he showed you who’s boss when it cones to leashes :)
Khushboo recently posted..24 Lessons in 24 years

9 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 5, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I would LOVE to be able to bring my cat outside but he is such a spaz I don’t think he could handle it!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Getting back on track!

10 Susan June 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have been putting my cats on a harness outside ever since they were kittens. They don’t mind it at all. I think the trick is to start them on it when they are young so they get used to it.

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oh Yay on the new laptop! Have you seen the Simon’s cat videos? They are the funnest things ever, especially since they’re TRUE!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Do More Yoga, And Do More NOW!

12 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Hahaha poor Cody! My cats love outside but we have a screened in porch and they can come and go as they please. My sisters cat has a leash and harness and is addicted to going outside, he sees that leash and he goes nuts!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What A Week

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Aww poor Cody!! But I’m not going to lie, I’m pretty sure I would have been laughing my head off at his frazzled face! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I think we may have a few boxes to spare …

14 Megan June 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Oh no poor Cody! Acutally though, that isn’t very surprising to me. My cat gets tied out with a leash and he took some major getting used to the outdoors before he was ready to go out by himself. Don’t give up!

15 Silvia @skinny jeans food June 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm

oh poor Cody! Please do not put him in a harness and a long leash and leave him unobserved; cats cannot protect themselves this way if another animal approaches or they get scared. He is not like a chained dog! Leashes are really only safe for walking cats (if at all). They can easily strangulate themselves in a long leash. And then, no more Cody :-(

I think if you let him out only occasionally when you guys are outside, too, he won’t wander too far (i.e. outside your property). If there is a busy street nearby I just would not let him outside.
Silvia @skinny jeans food recently posted..Roasted fennel with balsamic vinaigrette

16 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat June 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

<3 Yogurt Bowls lately! I've been doing plain fat free greek yogurt, vanilla protein, oats, cinnamon and 1/2 an apple- so good! :)
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..100/100

17 Renee June 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Poor little guy! Yeah, I think my cats would probably do the same. Hopefully he’s not too traumatized ;)
Renee recently posted..Mocha Coconut Frappuccino Ice Cream Cupcakes

18 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 5, 2012 at 2:52 pm

fruit & yogurt is so delish! I don’t usually have cereal around to throw into it, but that’s a good idea to add some crunch
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..late night eating follow up and Larabar giveaway winner

19 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson June 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

HAHA!!!! Those cat pictures are hilarious! And so is your story. Hopefully Cidy will do better next time
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..A Relaxing Sunday

20 Lisa June 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Lovin’ the leash story. Funny because the EXACT same thing happened with my cat, I thought it would be the coolest thing to take my cat on walks, but as soon as I got that leash on and brought her outside she lost her mind and went insane, and got the leash off herself, maybe that’s why I never see cats on leashes?!
Lisa recently posted..Goals and adjusting exercise

21 Brandi June 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm

OH bless his heart!! My cats are the same way, they want to go outside, but once they get there they have changed their minds!

22 Linz @ Itz Linz June 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

that is really funny! we had a softball game last night (we won) so good luck! :) :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Bosu Ball Workout

23 Caryln @ carylnrambles June 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm

My neighbor walks her cat on a leash almost EVERY DAY and when she is gardening in the front yard the cat is out there on a leash with her. haha
Caryln @ carylnrambles recently posted..Lemon, Basil, and Spinach Chicken Roll-Ups and Some Perspective

24 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 5, 2012 at 5:07 pm

That is hilarious (now that he’s safe). When I was younger, we tried to put our cats on leashes and one did the same thing, except, when she got out, she ran straight under our back porch and it took forever to get her out. Oh cats :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..June Goals (and final wedding recap)

25 Shari June 5, 2012 at 5:14 pm

UPS always comes the instant you leave the house … I think it’s an unspoken rule! :P
Shari recently posted..For Good.

26 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 5, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Not too long ago, I actually saw one of my neighbors WALKING a cat on a leash. I was confused but hey, whatever works for ‘ya!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: The Better Chip

27 Denis June 5, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Hey Courtney, this is hilarious. Ive seen a few cats on a leash and it cracks me up every time. And every one of them I saw dont look all that impressed haha.
Denis recently posted..Shepherd named National Hero Dog

28 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I love that roasted red pepper hummus, it’s so good!
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Travel – Grand Canyon

29 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights June 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

We started putting our cats on leashes last summer so they could sit outside with us. Our one cat definitely did NOT appreciate the first few attempts and did cat flips, too! Now, when they see us reach for the leashes they run to the door just like little puppies!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Announcing 2012 Bellin 10K Roster, Sponsored by Bellin Health

30 JN June 6, 2012 at 11:10 am

One of my cats immediately took to walking on a leash when she was young. She’s very good at it, and if she gets distracted, all I have to do is jangle my keys and she’ll run right to me.

And not to be a downer, but I will say to everyone that lets their cats out attended or unattended: be aware that anything can happen to them in a split second. I know someone who lost their cat because the neighbor’s dog ran across the lawn, grabbed it by the neck, and shook it. :(

31 Kim @ The Family Practice June 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

There is a guy in Seattle that walks with a cat on a leash – the cat is soooo stinkin fat that his belly rubs along the sidewalk as they walk. I used to see them everyday. That freaking cat is a celebrity! Everyone in Bellevue has seen him at least once – too funny

32 Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com June 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Love that cat picture! My neighbor tries to walk his bunny on a leash, and the bunny just lies down. Every. Single. Time. It’s so funny!
Natasha@yogininoms.wordpress.com recently posted..Calzones and pizzas all around?