My Words Of Wisdom For Today

by Courtney on June 5, 2012

Howdy howdy…I’m back!

I had every intention of coming back to blog last night, but it was one of those nights where Jay and I were just having too much fun for me to bail and write a blog post. Almost like one of those uncontrollable belly laugh nights. If I had been in that same situation a year ago, I probably would have dropped everything just for the mere sake of posting…but I’ve learned.

Now don’t get me wrong, I love you all and this blog to pieces. But I also have a life to live outside of this little ‘ol blog, and it honestly took me a little while to recognize that. I think that is something just so important for anyone in any field of work to recognize, you know? The blog, the work, the laundry, the dishes…it’ll all be there tomorrow. So if you’re having a blast, just embrace and enjoy it.

Alright, there’s my words of wisdom for today.

In other news…my daffodils day lilies are finally starting to bloom! <– edited because I apparently know nothing about flowers and just found out I was wrong.

I noticed them this morning as I was pulling back up the driveway from my 5:45am BodyPump class and they’re just oh-so-pretty.

Pump was pretty great too today, although I’m feeling a little extra tense/sore in my neck and shoulders. I’m assuming that may possibly be due to the fact that I also took an hour-long yoga class yesterday (sticking with my June Yoga Challenge!) and it was pretty intensive on the arms and shoulders.

That’s a-okay by me…I love me some shredded shoulders!

Breakfast

Looky-looky what I’ve got. Winking smile

And check out this batch of OIAJ…filled right to the brim!

I didn’t make these as a batch of voluminous oats, but I did let them sit on the stovetop for a little longer than usual, and that totally seemed to do the trick.

The blueberries were extra tasty in there today, and there was plenty of PB left in this jar since I’m the one who finished it off this time, not Jay.

Workout done. Breakfast done. Now time to get crackin’ on the rest of today’s business!

Question for the Morning:

When’s the last time you made sure to truly embrace and enjoy a great moment, without worrying about X, Y, or Z?

1 Khushboo Thadani June 5, 2012 at 8:40 am

Oh man, Courtney..it’s like you read my mind! As fun as blogging is, living life and making the most of “now” is even more fun! Check out my blog later- it’s full of even more wisdom :)! Have a great day, my “wise” friend :)
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Brain Dump

2 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 8:59 am

Haha, great minds think alike ;) Will do!

3 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 5, 2012 at 8:42 am

When I go on vacation I forget about everything else at home! But before I leave it’s like ahhhhh I have 2836748 things to do!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Aruba Part 3- The Food

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

I “unplug” every weekend and don’t give it a second thought!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Sunday Dinner & Granola Jackpot

5 Renee June 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

Those are wise words! We all need a reminder to unplug and enjoy the offline world as well :)
Renee recently posted..Easy Granola

6 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

I know what you mean! I’ve realized that I need a break from my blog on the weekends so that I can just enjoy the weekend, so I usually don’t post on the weekend now and it’s been working great for me :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Spicy Citrus Almonds

7 Coco June 5, 2012 at 8:51 am

My boyfriend and I have a tendency to sit in front of the TV with our laptops/iPhones/iPads, even to eat dinner. The other night, I made a nice dinner, and he said “Let’s actually sit at the table and turn the TV off.” He then proceeded to set the table and light candles…and it was the best meal ever!
Coco recently posted..Anthem for Women

8 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

Awwww, that sounds so nice! :)

9 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

I usually unplug on the weekend. I haven’t updated my blog on the weekend in a while. I sit in front of a computer every day for work. I think it’s important to step away for a few days and unwind.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Beginning of June Favorites…

10 Lindsey June 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

On our last holiday I decided I would only workout if I really wanted to, or if I had the time without it taking away from anything else. I did not cardio/running the entire 8 days, but did do 30 mins of yoga each morning since I was always the first one up. It felt so good! Usually on holidays I still try and squeeze in workouts but I am very glad this time when I did not even worry or think about making time to do so.
Lindsey recently posted..Not the Best Start

11 Kate June 5, 2012 at 9:07 am

Yeah, totally agree! We should not let go the opportunity to laugh or have fun with our love ones! That´s sooo important, at least in my opinion:). I remember last friday night when my brother, my fiancé and I were playing a game (called Jungle Speed btw) and we had so much fun, I was tired so I made way many silly mistakes and they were making fun of me, but that was funny, my stomach hurt, I couldn´t breath … :D.. and I was supposed to write last minute essay but I didn´t care, we had a blast:).

12 Emily June 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

Sometimes you just need a night like that….glad you guys enjoyed it. Those flowers are actually a day lily…but beautiful!

13 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hahaha…..aaaand, this is why I’m not good with flowers and/or gardening ;)

14 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona June 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

I was playing soccer over the weekend, and I had just subbed off. I was tired and sweaty, and I had no idea how I was going to play another 20 minutes. While I was drinking some water I happened to see the mountains off in the distance. They were so beautiful. In those few seconds I was able to recharge and get excited again about playing the rest of the game. I was definitely still exhausted, but 20 minutes didn’t seem like forever anymore.
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Less Than 2 Months!

15 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) June 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

Weekends are always family and friend time for me! I’ve been tempted to blog on weekends because I love the blog and the community so much, but I need time unplugged to stay feeling fresh :)
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Beginning Gardener Tips

16 Brittany V June 5, 2012 at 9:15 am

This is such good advice regardless of your “day job” — it is SO difficult for me to stop worrying about my “to do” list and just enjoy the moment!! Definitely something that I need to work on!!!

On a side note, any good recipes/ideas with chocolate protein powder? I just entered into the “protein powder” world this morning :)

17 Daniela Foster June 5, 2012 at 9:16 am

Courtney, those foods are perfect for breakfast. For me, I prefer to eat oatmeal in the morning to start my day. I don’t want to eat a lot in the morning so for me your breakfast is perfect.
Daniela Foster recently posted..Triactol

18 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 5, 2012 at 9:20 am

Great thoughts. :) Brandon and I have just moved into our new house, and we’ve been spending hours and hours working on getting everything “just right.” Last night, I was working on the office, and I was exhausted. Brandon finally told me to just stop and walk away. We ended up having a couple glasses of wine and watching TV together. It was really nice. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I think we may have a few boxes to spare …

19 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

Last weekend I was hanging out with my beautiful 3 year old Goddaughter and spent a few hours without my iPhone, computer, or any other form of technology. It was great to just spend that time with her! We had a blast and it reminded me what is important!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Getting back on track!

20 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 5, 2012 at 9:35 am

The fiance and I had a little of that unplug time this weekend. It was nice, we should do it more often.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What A Week

21 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine June 5, 2012 at 9:38 am

I try to relax and let go every weekend – it’s not easy but it’s definitely necessary!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Thai Shrimp Bisque

22 Suzanne@ Fitmindedmom June 5, 2012 at 9:41 am

Honestly, I do not just ENJOY nearly enough. That is my goal for this Summer. I have two little kids and sometimes, I get too caught up in cleaning, errands, ect to sit back and just have fun with them. Actually, I think I am going to go do it now. Laundry can wait!!!

23 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 5, 2012 at 9:46 am

LOVING your words of wisdom! When I first started blogging I just didn’t understand that because I thought the community would “forget” about me if I stopped for even a day. Um, NOT TRUE! Now I blog only 3-4 times a week and it’s glorious. I’ve been living so much more and am much happier :D
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Do Anywhere Tabata Workout

24 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

mmm oats in a jar is the best! especially with a lot of peanut butter left at the bottom:)
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..A visit to Nanny’s House!

25 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 5, 2012 at 9:57 am

i couldn’t agree more with your words of wisdom this morning! i’m learning that more and more as time goes on. last weekend i was in michigan, and i tried to unplug as much as i could. it was so nice to step away from the computer and technology for a couple days and embrace time with family!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Escape The Heat Treadmill Workout

26 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats June 5, 2012 at 10:11 am

This same thing happened to me this weekend! I always post a recap of my weekends on Sunday nights but this Sunday I really wanted to spend a little extra time with my family instead of rushing back to my apartment just to get a blog post in. It gave me a little anxiety but then I realized, just like you said, that it would all be there tomorrow. It was a great feeling!
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Greek-Marinated Chicken

27 Yellow Haired Girl June 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

Great words of wisdom! It’s something I need to do more often! Trying to learn to unplug – I like to think I’m getting better – but I should really do it more often :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Little Miss Scatterbrain

28 Michelle (Better with Berries) June 5, 2012 at 10:28 am

It wasn’t until this school year ended, I got all of my classes for next year and summer plans figured out (this week) that I was finally able to sit back and just BREATHE. I’m such a worrier – it took me a few days to finally step back and realize I could just be calm and happy :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Love: Delivered to My Doorstep

29 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

Oats in a jar is on tap for me tomorrow, but I have an economy size peanut butter jar to use…hopefully I don’t fill the whole thing :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..June Goals (and final wedding recap)

30 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

Love your words of wisdom. Your right!! I’d stay up all night to get my post done. I feel weird if I didn’t post everyday and I need to get over that, your right there is a big world out there and we need to embrace it!!

31 michelle kim June 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm

It’s really great that you got to live in the moment.
Sometimes, I’m always trying to enjoy things through my camera (because perhaps a good picture can go on the blog… even though I’m totally not a good photographer).
Also, I give myself a break if I go out of town with friends or family and we’ve been traveling all day.
michelle kim recently posted..Insane Sweaty Cardio Day

32 Tina @ Best Body Fitness June 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

You know I have been all about the embracing and living lately. ;)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..A Special Time

33 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 5, 2012 at 1:16 pm

great words of wisdom! Because in our technology filled society, so many people struggle with seizing the moment AT that moment! I think I TRY to follow this philosophy as much as I ccan~that’s why I don’t blog everyday. :) Perhaps someday I will, but as of now that would be a bit difficult. Have a beautiful day!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..These are My Favorite Things

34 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

We all definitely need to take a moment to enjoy life – especially when it’s presenting itself to us. You’re right that the work will be there tomorrow. I remember you saying at BLEND as we were talking to the FitMixer folks at breakfast, that when you first start blogging you often feel a need to fit into a certain “mold” of your favorite blogs but you have to actually find what works for you. Living life and allowing that to over-write a potential post, works for me too!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Do More Yoga, And Do More NOW!

35 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Oh yeah, that’s right! You have a great memory, haha :)

36 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony June 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more, and it’s easier said than done. Sometimes I forget to step back when blogging, other times it’s with teaching or studying. Life’s really all about balance.
My boyfriend and I recently embraced your words of wisdom last weekend for Memorial Day! We purposely planned absolutely nothing and just went together where ever the day took us. Looking back when we get older, we’ll remember the time together, not a post. :)

37 Alysha @Shesontherun June 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

So let me get this straight – you make oats on the stove and then pour them into an empty pb jar? I tried to get my overnight oats hot by microwaving them and the jar melted on me :(
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..PB2 Product Review

38 Courtney June 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Oh no! Yeah, don’t put the jar in the micro if it’s plastic…no bueno! :(

39 Alysha @Shesontherun June 5, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Definitely my biggest kitchen opps ever!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..PB2 Product Review

40 Katy June 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

So true! As a new blogger, I am still trying to find my balance between my little worlds! In some ways they have really come together to form a new version of me which I love, but I need to make sure I am spending more time offline then on if you know what I mean. :-)
Katy recently posted..Confessions of a Bad Baker

41 Shannon June 5, 2012 at 6:21 pm

When I’m with family, I do my best to try to shut myself off electronics. It’s really hard to do at times, but if I don’t- I miss some truly great times that I wouldn’t have experienced if I was on my iPod or the computer. I stay away completely from electronics when I visit my grandma- she’s the best grandma ever and I want to value all of the times we spend together (even if that time could be spent at book stores!). :)

42 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 5, 2012 at 9:26 pm

My day lilies have already come and gone – it’s quite sad!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..on avoiding self-bashing

43 Lisa June 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I definitely try and unplug every weekend, just to keep myself a little sane. You got to live life to the fullest and definitely don’t feel obligated to post when you are enjoying your life!
Lisa recently posted..Goals and adjusting exercise