A Method To My Madness

by Courtney on June 7, 2012

You guys want to hear about the really great workout I had today? I’ll tell ya…it was a good one!

Okay, you ready for it?

Ready?…

I push mowed the entire lawn, baby.

Winking smile

Push mowing itself is a pretty great workout, but then when you add in that big hill in the front of our yard? Talk about a great arm and core workout. Heck, it was great for everything.

Now I usually leave the lawn mowing up to Jay, but I did, indeed, have a method to my madness today. This morning before leaving for work, I asked Jay what we had going on this evening; I knew neither of us had a softball game planned and I thought it might be nice to do some sort of impromptu date night. (I just came across a few gift cards in my wallet that could be used.)

Well, my plan was immediately shot down when I got the answer that the lawn had to be mowed. Hmmph.

So I thought about it. And as much as I really don’t enjoy mowing the lawn (<—but I still try to have fun!), I realized…if I take care of it, then there’s an open window for date night. AND, if do it without telling him, he’ll be so surprised and so thrilled that I actually did some yard work that there’s no way he’ll be able to turn down a date night request.

Like I said…a method to my madness.

I took a break in between to grab something quick for lunch. Nothin’ fancy today folks. I was a girl on a mission.

A toasted whole wheat bagel thin topped with peanut butter, pumpkin butter, banana slices, and chia seeds.

It may have been simple, but my gosh did it taste good.

After quickly finishing that, I headed back out to finish up.

Cody was my supervisor for the majority of the time and I got his seal of approval.

Almost two hours later, my mission was complete and the lawn is nice and purty. And actually, my timing couldn’t have been better because it’s currently down pouring outside…

BUT, you want to hear the even greater news? Jay ended up coming home for lunch…

…and we’ve got a Date Night tonight. You can call me Mrs. Go-Getter today. Winking smile

1 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I have a whole mowing workout post on my blog! I always do it! Best sweat ever!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..thursday’s theme and problems/solutions

2 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Good for you…. I like your method, girl! ;). Enjoy your date night, you certainly worked for it!!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..The last few W.I.A.W. of the school year!

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Yay for date night!! I have never mowed the lawn in my life. I don’t want to, plus I don’t think Brandon trusts me with his precious lawn haha. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A weekend devoid of nutrients.

4 Sana June 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

:) Enjoy date nightttt!
Sana recently posted..A Super Magical Run

5 Angie @ hair.by.angie June 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

OMG so like, I vacuumed the house the other day…. it most DEFINITELY counted as a work out!! isnt’ that sad? lol!!!

I mowed the lawn once… well husband says i hacked it once!

Glad you got that done ;) woohoo! Enjoy your date night!
Angie @ hair.by.angie recently posted..He’s my favorite

6 Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee June 7, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I used to love mowing the lawn! I did it for my grandmother when I was growing up. I never get to do it anymore since I live in an apartment although I’m sure there are plenty of people who would be happy if I volunteered to do theirs!
Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee recently posted..One Lovely Blog Award

7 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Brilliant! I used to love mowing the lawn. We don’t have one now :( Enjoy date night!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Too good to empty the plate

8 Whitney June 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Wife of the Year! Hubs knows there is no chance of me doing yard work.. just not my thing. LOL

Love love weekday date nights..makes the week much better! Enjoy :)

9 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm

the lawn looks beautiful you did a good job!

10 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed June 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Push mowing would be super awesome for me if A: I had a lawn, and B: If grass weren’t my worst allergy. It might actually make me keel over and foam at the mouth.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Bitching On Social Media

11 Runtothefinish June 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I swear when I look at a chore as exercise it helps me to get it done :)
Runtothefinish recently posted..30 Life Lessons from 30 days of yoga

12 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson June 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

You know, I have never mowed the lawn a day in my life. LOL! And your grass is beautiful. How did you get it so green? We have almost no grass in our yard and I’m wanting to plant some but I’m clueless. LOL!

And yay for a date night!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..A Relaxing Sunday

13 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I’m not allowed to mow the lawn, apparently I suck at it hahah
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #5

14 Alysha @Shesontherun June 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

My parents used to make me mow their lawn with a push – I didn’t mind because I got a great workout and tan at the same time!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Post Cheese Detox + 2 recipes

15 Ruthie Hart June 7, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I mowed our lawn with a push mower last ngiht! Such a great workout especially in the Texas heat!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Video dump

16 Trisha June 7, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Ahh! I secretly love mowing the lawn! We don’t have a huge lawn but I still feel like it’s a decent workout. I love the way my arms tingle when I’m done. I’d mow the lawn every day if that meant a guaranteed date night with my hubby! :)
Trisha recently posted..{Almost Vegan} Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

17 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian June 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I love your method to madness!!! Cracks me up!! It is totally something I would do!
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..Welp, I have been a bad blogger.

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm

What a bright woman – I would do yard work for a date night for sure!

19 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition June 7, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I haven’t mowed a yawn in YEARS! I guess that’s the good thing about living in NYC : )
Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition recently posted..Don’t forget to enter my Birthday Giveaway…

20 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 7, 2012 at 4:42 pm

You are brilliant! Enjoy date night :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Fitness Bucket List

21 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes June 7, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Impromptu workout and date night? Sounds like a win-win to me! Have fun tonight :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..I’m Joining the Triathlon World!

22 Annie @ What's Annie Making? June 7, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Love the peanut butter + pumpkin butter combo! Nice work on the lawn mowing. We just got a new lawn mower and I’m “not allowed” to use it for fear of breaking. Shoot!
Annie @ What’s Annie Making? recently posted..River Running and Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Scones

23 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 7, 2012 at 6:40 pm

mowing the lawn….definitely the one thing I will never want to do when I get a house. ever. haha!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..at least once a week

24 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy June 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Good on you! I have never actually used a push mower! I have an entirely unfounded fear that I may lose a limb.. Yes, I am that accident prone.
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..Things I LOVE Thursday!

25 Michelle (Better with Berries) June 7, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I’m sure mowing the lawn is an awesome workout! I’ve actually never even done it myself :-)

Have fun on date night!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Coconut Caramel Clusters

26 Shana June 7, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I love mowing the lawn for this same reason! I consider it a “free workout.” My glutes and calves are getting so toned this summer!
Shana recently posted..Water Works

27 Lauren June 7, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I have never mowed the lawn in my life and I don’t ever see myself starting. :) LoL one of those reasons why I got married. That and for a permanent snow shoveler. :)
Lauren recently posted..10 Reasons Why Today was AWESOME

28 Marie June 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Wow, wife of the year! I think I’d pass on date night instead. ;) Hope you guys have a great night!

29 Christine Balch June 7, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Mowing on the entire lawn is a great workout. Indeed, I have tried it also and my entire body is sweating. It is very effective workout.
Christine Balch recently posted..Teeth Whitening Ideas For A Brighter Smile

30 Haley @ Housegirl Haley June 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Is it weird that I have never mowed the lawn before…and no I’m not city folk – I have a yard. I’ve just never been the one to mow it. I don’t even think I know how to turn a lawnmower on.

You know what my workout was today? Packing up some of my apartment and taking a bazillion loads to my car. Lots of stairs and heavy lifting in 90 degree weather! Between the two of us, I think we have “functional” workouts down.
Haley @ Housegirl Haley recently posted..Current Crush Thursday: Feed the Birds

31 Khushboo June 8, 2012 at 12:11 am

Nothing like a little motivation to get you going eh! Clearly a way to a mans heart is through his lawn – noted :)
Khushboo recently posted..The need for speed

32 Tara Burner June 8, 2012 at 12:20 am

yay for date night and the workout! I used to mow with the old reel mowers..that was a workout..now I don’t have a yard :(
Tara Burner recently posted..Fitness Spotlight & Body Weight Workouts

33 Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel June 8, 2012 at 2:57 am

Mowing the lawn is a great way of working up a sweat and getting some sun at the same time! Win-win-win!
Willemijn @ Run Eat Travel recently posted..A little less fun reminder that I went to Rome last month; my…

34 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

I’ve never mowed a lawn before, but I can imagine it’s a pretty good workout! Very smart planning! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 16

35 Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Haha, I love the method to your madness! My parents have a ride-on mower and I love that thing – it actually makes grass cutting fun (even though it doesn’t go as fast as I wish it would!). Have a wonderful date night!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Spinalonga and Victoria Hislop’s ‘The Island’

36 Carly June 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Haha that last pic of Cody is hilarious; he’s such a cute cat!
Carly recently posted..Let’s Do a Little Marvelous Monday Week Recap(: