Great Workout, Awesome Lunch

Happy Friday, friends! I’ll tell ya, this was a FAST week. I’m looking forward to a fun weekend filled with friends, family, and hopefully some pool time. What’s everyone else up to?

Workout

Today’s workout felt great. I started out with 20 minutes of cardio, using my 20 Minute Hilly Interval Run. It’s been ages since I’d done that one, so it was nice to switch up the routine a bit.

I’ve actually had a few requests from family members recently for some treadmill options geared more towards beginners. (It’s very easy for me to forget that not everyone runs at a speed of 7.0mph!). After finishing up today’s run, I decided to make a beginner routine to the original 20 Minute Hilly Interval Run, which you can see below.

20 minute hilly interval run - beginner

Same format, but with some modified speeds and inclines. (As always, if you’re just starting out, be sure to check with a doc beforehand.) If you find that those speeds are still a bit too challenging, figure out what your max speed is, and compare it to minutes 16:00-17:00 @ 6.5mpg. (For example, if your max speed is, say, 5.5mph, subtract 1.0 from each of the other speed intervals.)

After my quick interval run, I followed things up with some yoga bootcamp.

I first received this DVD back in October from Exercise TV, but had only tried it out once. Today, I chose the “Power Yoga for Arms & Abs” routine…holy moly.

I didn’t totally love the video (more for the instructor, not necessarily the moves) but I definitely worked up a sweat with this one. I have a feeling I’m gonna be sore tomorrow…and I’ll take it!

*****

Lunch

A little while later it was time for lunch, and let me just say…I am completely infatuated with this salad.

strawberry, feta, and avocado salad (2)

I’ve always enjoyed fruit on my salads, but today’s combination topped the charts…meet the Strawberry, Feta, & Avocado salad.

strawberry, feta, and avocado salad

Everything was so fresh and summery, and paired absolutely perfect with this Newman’s Own Light Raspberry & Walnut dressing (one of my mama’s favorites).

In addition to the strawberries, feta, and avocado, I also threw in some cucumbers and scallions to round out the veggie side of things, plus a few sliced green grapes.

I’m really tempted to call this thing epic…for me to use this word is a big thing, but I think I’m gonna have to do it.

strawberry, feta, and avocado salad (4)

I don’t know what it is, but there’s just something about that strawberry and avocado combo. Remember when I made that awesome omelet with the two? Now THAT thing was crazy awesome. Too bad I just used up the rest of my ‘cado…

I’m headed to work in a little while, and then we’ll have to see where the rest of the evening brings me. Smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Favorite salad combination of ALL TIME – what is it?

Comments

For the past few days I have had the same salad combo for lunch and am obsessed – watermelon, blueberries, feta, basil, avocado with lime juice. Like I said obsessed.
    I made pizza with strawberries on it the other night and we loved it, I am beginning to think they are a awesome addition to any dish!
    Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

2. Angela says

ThaT salad looks so good! I rarely put fruits on my salads, I just never think about it! I think I’m going to have to change that now that it’s summer! I love that newman’s dressing!
    Angela recently posted..Solo Dinner

3. Amy @ Inspired Amy says

Theres this salad that I get every time I go to this restaurant called Browns. It has spring mix, corn, black beans, candied walnuts, dates, apple miso dressing, blackened chicken, braised cabbage, spicy salsa, and avocado. So delish! I wish I had the patience to make it at home!
    Amy @ Inspired Amy recently posted..WIAW Snacky Tooth

There is an EPIC salad at my favorite restaurant that combines rotisserie chicken, cornbread croutons, goat cheese, corn, almonds, avocado, tomatoes, chopped dates, cabbage, lettuce, with a to-die-for vinaigrette dressing. It’s called the Macho Salad, but I call it my “deathbed salad.”

5. Courtney says

My favorite is a strawberry chicken salad..chicken, strawberries, red onions, cucumbers, sliced almonds, crumbled goat cheese & lite poppyseed dressing served over a bed of spinach! YUM!

Hands down the best salad combo EVER is avocado, grapefruit, lettuce and a poppy seed dressing. It.Is.To.Die.For!!! I don’t eat it very often though because it is served at Luby’s cafeteria and that just isn’t my type of place to dine.
    Suzanne @ Fitmindedmom recently posted..Fro-Yo for lunch!!

7. Anita says

Oh thanks for the new workout! I am on the shorter side so those numbers are a little more reasonable for me :) I’m off to go give it a try right now!

I’m a big fan of chopped salads but favorite combo would be soo hard to say! I do know that your salad just inspired the salad I’m going to make for my family tonight: avocado, strawberry, blueberries and maybe some grapefruit? Fruit in salads sound soo good to me right now!
    Sarah recently posted..June Yoga Challenge {Week 1}

That salad does look pretty incredible. I adore the combo of strawberries and avocado as well. And goat cheese. Divine. I also love blueberries in salads too, and I’ve used them in turkey burgers before and believe it or not its such a good combination!!
    Lisa recently posted..Friday Five

that salad looks delish! I just started eating apple in my salad and why have I not done that before.. Don’t know but it’s great! I love avocado so I will have to try the strawberry and avocado combo. I should be getting my stuff from NASM on Sat so I will be deep into that this weekend. I’m so excited. Have a fab weekend!

Strawberries and avocado sounds delicious, I don’t know why I never thought to combine them.
    My favorite salad combo I actually stole from a restaurant. They combined rosemary roasted potatoes and tamari marinated tofu, it sounds a little weird but soooo good.
    Lea recently posted..The Graduates