Great Workout, Awesome Lunch

by Courtney on June 8, 2012

Happy Friday, friends! I’ll tell ya, this was a FAST week. I’m looking forward to a fun weekend filled with friends, family, and hopefully some pool time. What’s everyone else up to?

Workout

Today’s workout felt great. I started out with 20 minutes of cardio, using my 20 Minute Hilly Interval Run. It’s been ages since I’d done that one, so it was nice to switch up the routine a bit.

I’ve actually had a few requests from family members recently for some treadmill options geared more towards beginners. (It’s very easy for me to forget that not everyone runs at a speed of 7.0mph!). After finishing up today’s run, I decided to make a beginner routine to the original 20 Minute Hilly Interval Run, which you can see below.

20 minute hilly interval run - beginner

Same format, but with some modified speeds and inclines. (As always, if you’re just starting out, be sure to check with a doc beforehand.) If you find that those speeds are still a bit too challenging, figure out what your max speed is, and compare it to minutes 16:00-17:00 @ 6.5mpg. (For example, if your max speed is, say, 5.5mph, subtract 1.0 from each of the other speed intervals.)

After my quick interval run, I followed things up with some yoga bootcamp.

I first received this DVD back in October from Exercise TV, but had only tried it out once. Today, I chose the “Power Yoga for Arms & Abs” routine…holy moly.

I didn’t totally love the video (more for the instructor, not necessarily the moves) but I definitely worked up a sweat with this one. I have a feeling I’m gonna be sore tomorrow…and I’ll take it!

*****

Lunch

A little while later it was time for lunch, and let me just say…I am completely infatuated with this salad.

strawberry, feta, and avocado salad (2)

I’ve always enjoyed fruit on my salads, but today’s combination topped the charts…meet the Strawberry, Feta, & Avocado salad.

strawberry, feta, and avocado salad

Everything was so fresh and summery, and paired absolutely perfect with this Newman’s Own Light Raspberry & Walnut dressing (one of my mama’s favorites).

In addition to the strawberries, feta, and avocado, I also threw in some cucumbers and scallions to round out the veggie side of things, plus a few sliced green grapes.

I’m really tempted to call this thing epic…for me to use this word is a big thing, but I think I’m gonna have to do it.

strawberry, feta, and avocado salad (4)

I don’t know what it is, but there’s just something about that strawberry and avocado combo. Remember when I made that awesome omelet with the two? Now THAT thing was crazy awesome. Too bad I just used up the rest of my ‘cado…

I’m headed to work in a little while, and then we’ll have to see where the rest of the evening brings me. Smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Favorite salad combination of ALL TIME – what is it?

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

oh man, that salad looks AMAZING! i have so many favorite salad combos, but one of my favorites lately has been cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, and avocado over spinach. yumm.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Awards & June Yoga Challenge Week 1 Recap

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Why have I never thought to use avocado in a fruity salad?! That looks so good! Luckily, I have an avocado in need of use!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Easy and Tasty Lemon Yogurt Chicken and My Yoga Experience So Far

3 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 8, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Love salad with shrimp, avocado, cucumbers and feta!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Run Baby, Run!

4 Lindsey June 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

For the past few days I have had the same salad combo for lunch and am obsessed – watermelon, blueberries, feta, basil, avocado with lime juice. Like I said obsessed.
I made pizza with strawberries on it the other night and we loved it, I am beginning to think they are a awesome addition to any dish!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Hmm I’m honestly not sure of my favorite salad combination. But I love love love Brianna’s Asiago Caesar salad dressing. It’s so yummy!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One Lovely Blog

6 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

That salad does look light and refreshing! Perfect for summer. I bet it would taste great if you added shrimp to it too. Must try it for sure :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Buffalo Style Chicken Sausage Kind Of Night…

7 Angela June 8, 2012 at 2:46 pm

ThaT salad looks so good! I rarely put fruits on my salads, I just never think about it! I think I’m going to have to change that now that it’s summer! I love that newman’s dressing!
Angela recently posted..Solo Dinner

8 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I love way too many salad combos to just pick one! I definitely have to say some of my all time favorites are with fruit, cheese, and nuts. I will have to try it with avocado! I’m sure goat cheese would be awesome on that too :D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Sore and Listening to my Body

9 Amy @ Inspired Amy June 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Theres this salad that I get every time I go to this restaurant called Browns. It has spring mix, corn, black beans, candied walnuts, dates, apple miso dressing, blackened chicken, braised cabbage, spicy salsa, and avocado. So delish! I wish I had the patience to make it at home!
Amy @ Inspired Amy recently posted..WIAW Snacky Tooth

10 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 8, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That salad does look pretty amazing! Love anything with strawberries at the moment since we finally can get Irish ones! Love em!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A bowl full of beans

11 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride June 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yum, that salad sounds like the perfect summery lunch! I might have to make a big batch of this for a bbq I’m going to tomorrow :)

12 Alysha @Shesontherun June 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Here it is: Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, goat cheese (or feta), walnuts (or almonds) and a raspberry dressing, It sounds a lot like yours!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Post Cheese Detox + 2 recipes

13 Lauren B. June 8, 2012 at 3:51 pm

There is an EPIC salad at my favorite restaurant that combines rotisserie chicken, cornbread croutons, goat cheese, corn, almonds, avocado, tomatoes, chopped dates, cabbage, lettuce, with a to-die-for vinaigrette dressing. It’s called the Macho Salad, but I call it my “deathbed salad.”

14 Michelle (Better with Berries) June 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love grapes and apples as a salad topping, but my all-time favorite is a mexican salad with avocado, corn, black beans, and lots of pico de gallo. I could eat one of those every day and be a happy girl!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Coconut Caramel Clusters

15 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third June 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Wow. That salad looks AMAZING. What a great combo! I love a roasted veggies and goat cheese combo… so good!
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..I hit “The Wall”

16 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony June 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

That looks delicious! I love avocados. :)
Grilled chicken, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts and goat cheese in the fall or winter and in the spring and summer grilled shrimp, corn, avocado, black beans, red onion and tomato…seasonal salads if you will!
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..June Yoga Challenge, Week 1 Recap (+ Giveaway Winner!)

17 Courtney June 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

My favorite is a strawberry chicken salad..chicken, strawberries, red onions, cucumbers, sliced almonds, crumbled goat cheese & lite poppyseed dressing served over a bed of spinach! YUM!

18 Suzanne @ Fitmindedmom June 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Hands down the best salad combo EVER is avocado, grapefruit, lettuce and a poppy seed dressing. It.Is.To.Die.For!!! I don’t eat it very often though because it is served at Luby’s cafeteria and that just isn’t my type of place to dine.
Suzanne @ Fitmindedmom recently posted..Fro-Yo for lunch!!

19 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona June 8, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I love strawberries and salads, but I never think to put them together. I’ll have to try that!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Workout Motivation

20 Anita June 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Oh thanks for the new workout! I am on the shorter side so those numbers are a little more reasonable for me :) I’m off to go give it a try right now!

21 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I’m not sure what my favorite salad combination of all time is but as of late it’s definitely been mixed greens with veggies + avocado, balsamic vinaigrette and topped with either 2 sunny side up eggs or a veggie patty. HOLY YUM!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // And the Unexpected Thursday

22 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 8, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I have a weird thing about fruit in salad, but I am obsessed with both strawberries and avocado so the word “epic” is quite intriguing!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Top Tools to Simplify your Life

23 Sarah June 8, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I’m a big fan of chopped salads but favorite combo would be soo hard to say! I do know that your salad just inspired the salad I’m going to make for my family tonight: avocado, strawberry, blueberries and maybe some grapefruit? Fruit in salads sound soo good to me right now!
Sarah recently posted..June Yoga Challenge {Week 1}

24 Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana June 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I love fruit in my salads in the summertime, what an awesome combination!! I like edamame and toasted cashews in salads…gives it that little bit of extra protein and crunch :)
Maura @ My Healthy ‘Ohana recently posted..Hawaiian Sweet Bread Pudding

25 Lisa June 8, 2012 at 6:36 pm

That salad does look pretty incredible. I adore the combo of strawberries and avocado as well. And goat cheese. Divine. I also love blueberries in salads too, and I’ve used them in turkey burgers before and believe it or not its such a good combination!!
Lisa recently posted..Friday Five

26 Haley @ Housegirl Haley June 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I had a similar salad the other day. Strawberries and feta are the bomb together. I also put some pineapple on mine and used the pineapple juice as dressing. So delicious!
Haley @ Housegirl Haley recently posted..Last Week of Being Carefree {H54F#5}

27 sherice@foodieluvsfitness June 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm

that salad looks delish! I just started eating apple in my salad and why have I not done that before.. Don’t know but it’s great! I love avocado so I will have to try the strawberry and avocado combo. I should be getting my stuff from NASM on Sat so I will be deep into that this weekend. I’m so excited. Have a fab weekend!

28 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 8, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Courtney, your salad looks so delicious and healthy! It beats almost any restaurant’s salad–and same level as Panera’s salads :)
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Banana Muffins for Everyone

29 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 9, 2012 at 12:10 am

Spinach salad with sliced almonds, strawberries and ground flax-seed! Yum!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Thank You Notes, Long Walks & Fridays

30 Carly June 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I love a mix of hummus, goat cheese and balsalmic; may sound strange but it’s quite good as a salad topper; especially with some roasted veg (my fav!)
Carly recently posted..Let’s Do a Little Marvelous Monday Week Recap(:

31 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 9, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Massaged kale, grapefruit & avocado salad – my new summer fav!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..The Run That Renewed My Love Affair With Running

32 Lea June 10, 2012 at 8:05 am

Strawberries and avocado sounds delicious, I don’t know why I never thought to combine them.
My favorite salad combo I actually stole from a restaurant. They combined rosemary roasted potatoes and tamari marinated tofu, it sounds a little weird but soooo good.
Lea recently posted..The Graduates

33 Jenna@Redheadrunningwild June 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm

That salad looks delicious! I will definitely be trying that one! My favorite would definitely be a spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, goat cheese and some grilled chicken! YUM!!!
Jenna@Redheadrunningwild recently posted..Chill out, I got a tattoo and 5 HOT miles