June Yoga Challenge, Week 1 Recap (+ Date Night)

All that hard work with mowing the lawn paid off…I got my date night!

Yesterday, shortly after Jay got home from work, we headed out to enjoy our “gift card date night.” I can’t tell you just how excited I was to realize that we still had about five different gift cards left over from Christmas…here I was thinking we’d already used them all.

Can you guess which one out of the four listed was our spot of choice last night?

Well, considering we don’t even have an On the Border or a Maggiano’s near us, and neither of us felt like having Italian, that just leaves one spot left…

Aaaand that would be the one that offers 2 for 1 draft beers. Winking smile

Chili’s was our spot of choice last night, and we both started off with some 2 for 1 beers – there wasn’t a huge selection so I went with some Blue Moon.

For it being a chain restaurant, which Jay and I typically tend to avoid (we definitely had our fair share while dating throughout high school), we both enjoy Chili’s. The beer is always cold, the food is good, and the prices aren’t too bad either. Neither of us had been back since visiting with Joe & Kate last October, so it was a welcomed choice.

We started off with some chips and salsa.

I was pretty impressed with my ability to take it easy on these, but it wasn’t easy.

For dinner, I ordered the “Lighter Choice Chicken Santa Fe Wrap” which came with a side of roasted broccoli.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect, but this wrap was pleasantly delicious. I especially loved the roasted corn and avocado chunks, and I loved how it wasn’t drenched in dressing. Definitely a good choice.

After dinner, we concluded date night the best way we know how…

With an orange and vanilla twist with rainbow sprinkles from The Snowman. Gosh, I do love me some rainbow sprinkles. Smile

June Yoga Challenge – Week 1 Recap

We’ve already made it through our first week of the June Yoga Challenge. Can you even believe it? I’m so excited to hear how you’ve all been doing on your own challenges, but first, here’s how things have been going so far over here.

My Challenge: Do 3 yoga sessions for the week

Actual: 4 yoga sessions done since June 1st

So far, things are going great with the challenge. I’m loving all this new yoga in my life, and I’m already finding myself looking forward to each session. I didn’t totally love the class that I took at my gym during the week, but I did enjoy actually doing it in a class setting, rather than at home with a video.

I ended up talking a bit with Jen, who I’ve gone to yoga with before, and she was telling me about a local place named Good Karma Studio. Apparently they’re offering a few free classes for the month of June, so I’m really hoping to be able to go and try some of them out.

Overall, I’m still loving the challenge. Physically, I haven’t felt or seen too much of a difference, although my hips were pretty sore after doing Jillian’s video on Wednesday. Mentally, I’m totally on board. I don’t mind that I’m not sweating buckets like I would if I were running on the treadmill. I love how I’m still feeling strong and lengthened after a session.

I think this challenge is exactly what I needed right now in my life!

But alright, enough about me…let’s hear about how all of YOU are doing on your challenges. I had one reader without a blog send me her update…

Kattreena“My main goal for this challenge is to listen to my body more. In the past, I would often skip yoga because I felt like I needed to strength train more or do more cardio. Recently, I’ve been doing yoga at least once a week, and I have found that my body loves it! I absolutely love how I feel after the class! I just want to get back into loving what I’m doing for fitness rather than feeling that I have to do something or skip something because other exercises are more important. Today I did an online Power Yoga video for 30 minutes.”

Now, for those of you who wrote about your Week 1 recap on your blogs, let’s see how it’s going!

( Collection closed )
Link tool by Inlinkz

Date night looks like a blast and good call on getting the ice cream cone- after all it was a National celebration- chocolate schmocolate :)! Way to go on the yoga challenge- I really should be getting on board with it and reading how great it is making you feel makes me all the more motivated to even introduce one session a week! I know my muscles would be happy!
    Khushboo Thadani recently posted..The need for speed

• says

You should check out the hot yoga spot in Stuyvesant Plaza! I go two or three times a week and love it! You would like the iron barre or power barre classes because they incorporate Pilates, the barre, or weights into those classes :) I also love the gentle flow class when I just need to chill out and relax.

• says

It’s $15 a class ($10 with student id), but I think the classes are amazing. I always feel great after I leave. Its behind Stuyvesant Plaza, you should check out the website with all of their class descriptions: http://www.thehotyogaspot.com

I love all of the instructors, they are really accomodating and kick your butt :)

I need to get a little yoga in my life but it seems like other forms of exercise always win out over it. I use to take a class at my gym called Centergy and while it was relaxing I always felt it the next day. Hmmm, maybe I will try it again next week!!

No Maggianos near you? That makes me sad, my friend. I love that place.

And ah, funny days, back in high school when Chilis and Applebees were fancy date nights. I got taken to Macaroni Grills once and thought I was the luckiest girl ever!

4. Courtney says

At Good Karma they have gravity yoga which is really good. My upper body has never been so sore as after I get done with one of those classes! The Hot Yoga Spot also has great classes. If you’ve never tried a hot yoga class I would definitely recommend it!! I’m a fan of their barre classes. I try to make it to at least 2 a week.

A date night that ends with fro yo is always a good date night. I’m loving the challenge, and I’m hoping we can do another one maybe next month? 😉 I have been doing yoga after my runs, and it has really helped with soreness!
    Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Go Green

Glad to hear your challenge is going well after the first week! After a crazy trip to the ER yesterday for my back and a followup appointment with my doctor earlier today, he said I need to be stretching and doing more yoga. I was already on board but as soon as I get the go-ahead to workout again, it appears I’ll REALLY be on board. Doctor’s orders! :)
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // And the Unexpected Thursday

7. Cristina says

Yoga is not about calories burnt, or the “after burn” its about how you challenge yourself in each pose. You make it as easy or as challenging as you allow your body to go. I’m all for at home workouts, but yoga I find to be most beneficial in a studio or gym setting. That being said, I find that even though yoga is meant to be a “selfish” workout, I find myself competing with others in the studio. I cant help it, I see others in their poses, therefore I compete :) I always set an “intention” for myself, but feeding off of other peoples energy helps me in the long run. I dont have a blog but am taking the Yoga Challenge with you. All the best to all!! xxoo