The Commercial Break Workout

by Courtney on June 12, 2012

I have to say…after trying out Monday’s little workout while watching TV, I’ve become somewhat intrigued. The more you think about it, using commercial breaks to get some extra movement into your day is absolutely genius.

I mean, now don’t get me wrong. I totally get that there are some days where, once we sit down to catch our favorite TV show, the thought of moving from the couch for anything more than a break for the bathroom seems daunting. But for those days where you may have a little extra spunk while watching the ‘boob tube,’ why not give this little routine a try?

I designed it so each commercial break incorporates some dynamic movement, a strength move, and something to hit the core. So whether you do two breaks or five, you’ll still be moving!

The Commercial Break Workout

Commercial Break #1

• 15 squats
  • 30 lateral hops (place the TV remote on the floor and hop side to side over it)
  • 15 crunches

Commercial Break #2

• 20 alternating lunges (10 on each leg)
  • imaginary jump rope – 60 “hops”
  • 30 bicycles (15 each side)

Commercial Break #3

• 50 jumping jacks
  • 15 push ups
  • 15 supermans (lie facedown on floor, lift legs and arms off floor at same time)

Commercial Break #4

• 50 mountain climbers (25 on each side)
  • 15 tricep dips (use the coffee table if you have to!)
  • 20 plank with side-to-side toe taps (10 each side)

Commercial Break #5

• 30 skaters OR high knees
  • wall sit – 60 seconds (use any of those walls! Keep the thighs parallel to ground)
  • 20 alternating side planks (10 each side, on elbows or hands)

And, of course, in case you’re a marathon TV watcher or a fan of the two hour Bachelorette episodes, feel free to repeat this routine more than once. Winking smile

1 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna June 12, 2012 at 6:44 pm

i will definitely be using this workout! i don’t watch a lot of TV but when i do i’d definitely be better off squeezing in a little movement!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Giveaway Winners!

2 SaraRM June 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Thats a good one!

3 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy June 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Love This! Thank you!
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..Pop Culture Soothes My Soul

4 Amy June 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Wow this is fantastic!!!!!! Thanks Courtney :)

5 Angie @ Losing It and Loving It June 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Looks like a great workout!

And yes I waste time watching The Bachelorette shhhh
Angie @ Losing It and Loving It recently posted..Better Healthy Living Challenge Check in 1

6 Blog is the New Black June 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Courtney….. can you put together a killer arm workout? My wedding is just short of 4 weeks away (EEK!) and I’d love to get the most “bang for my buck” with an arm routine… :)

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love this! A great way to get up and move! Haha I might have to split them in half though since I don’t have a tv and watch shows on Hulu, the breaks are shorter!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Creative Outlet

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 12, 2012 at 7:07 pm

This is awesome! Love this!
When I was a kid, I used to use commercial breaks to practice oboe. It made it seem like less of a chore. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Summer Bucket List 2012

9 Megan@ The Running Doc June 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm

This is perfect! I can still be lazy and watch TV but feel less guilty about it cause I’ll at least be getting a little exercise in. :)
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..It’s Skyline Time

10 Amanda Brezgel June 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I absolutely love this! :D Been feeling lazy while watching TV lately and have done some of this, but it’s nice to have something to follow. Thanks!

11 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife June 12, 2012 at 7:36 pm

pinned! this is like the best workout everrr! Thanks girl! (:
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Fast 5K

12 Shannon June 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm

This is genius! I absolutely love these workouts; they’re so simple (well…except for the wall sit- I’ll die at that one). Looking forward to trying this next Monday for the Bachelorette or if I watch any TV this weekend.

Thank you! :)

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Ummm I think I might be using this workout tonight haha. Thanks for the idea! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Fro-yo, wine tasting, and strawberry milkshakes: A winning weekend combination.

14 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess June 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I love this! I do this type of workout all the time as I am a person that can hardly ever just sit unless I’m reading a book. I will try your version out tonight!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..The Depression Begins

15 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Love it! Thanks for posting! I need to like pin it next to the TV :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sun-Dried Tomato Artichoke Pizza

16 Amanda June 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

What a great idea. I’m glad you put together a workout! :)
Amanda recently posted..White Chocolate Peanut Butter Heath Bits Cookies

17 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 12, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Love this idea!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Health Benefits of Blueberries

18 Ali June 12, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Great idea! I’ll try it when I’m watching Food Network! :)

19 Michelle (Better with Berries) June 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Love this! TV time is always a great opportunity to sneak in a little fitness!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Free Stuff!

20 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Love this! The fiance and I do this as well. Bust out workouts during the commercials and try to beat the other.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Getting Crafty

21 Annie @ What's Annie Making? June 12, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I love this idea! Maybe this would make watching 2 hr bachelorette episodes feel a little less guilty ;)
Annie @ What’s Annie Making? recently posted..Caprese Quinoa Salad

22 Angela June 12, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I am going to use this! Sometimes at night I am so lazy laying on the couch watching tv, this will be good to break up the laziness!
Angela recently posted..Taste the Rainbow

23 Amy B @ Second City Randomness June 12, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I definitely have done the situps/jumping jacks/pushups during commercial breaks before. It’s a nice way to feel a little more productive in the day. Even if my roommate thinks it’s weird…
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Just a Number?

24 Meredith @ DareYouTo June 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Great ideas !! Pinned so I remember to get moving next time.
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Quinoa with Greens, Tomatoes, and Feta

25 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Commercial break workouts are a great idea, however, I tend to DVR everything! I may use these to do around the house when I am cleaning or organizing or playing with my kids. I think fitting in little bits of extra exercise whenever you can is a perfect idea!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Top Five Tuesday

26 Lena @Fit on the Rocks June 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Hah I love it! I think I should just do this at work when I need a little pep in my day. The people who look at you weird just wish they were brave enough to workout at work lol
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Short, but Sweet Weekend

27 Lisa June 13, 2012 at 12:03 am

Too bad all my shows are recorded before! No commercials for me, maybe I’ll have to start watching them again, just so I can get in some extra movement ;)
Lisa recently posted..How To: Overnight Oat Bran

28 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction June 13, 2012 at 12:17 am

These are great ideas for quick workouts! Now if I could only muster up the motivation to get up during the commercials, we would be golden! ;-)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Movie Theater Pet Peeves

29 Haley @ Housegirl Haley June 13, 2012 at 3:19 am

Great idea! I want to do this, and I bet I would have gotten an awesome workout on Monday night…I’m one of those two hour Bachelorette episode watchers. haha
Haley @ Housegirl Haley recently posted..Rain Rain Go Away…

30 Miz June 13, 2012 at 6:06 am

oooh yes yes yes.
I live this :)
here it is all about squeeeeeeezing in the movement where I can :)
Miz recently posted..What’s your language of encouragement?

31 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 13, 2012 at 7:57 am

perfect for killing a lazy TV session!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..WIAW: peanut butter protein energy bites

32 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

This is awesome! I will try any excuse to be active! Trying it out tonight :)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

33 Elizabeth June 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

Thanks ! I love that you put this workout together. I am going to use this workout when I watch TV.

34 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson June 13, 2012 at 10:37 am

This is great! I usually use the commercials to pick up around the house, start laundry, etc, but I’m going to try this. I love it!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Finally…….

35 Molly Ritterbeck June 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I think you should make this a regular segment from now on – I am loving it! I am going to have to try it!
Molly Ritterbeck recently posted..What’s New Wednesday #9

36 Liz @ iheartvegetables June 13, 2012 at 11:09 pm

This is SO awesome. What a great idea!!!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..What I [Snacked] Wednesday

37 Teresa June 14, 2012 at 8:36 am

This is great! Thanks!!
When I watch TV, it’s usually DVR’d shows, so I don’t have commercial breaks. I do however sit in a cubicle for 10 hours a day, so I’m sneaking out once an hour to do one of these workouts. Hopefully it’ll keep me energized and more focused at work!

38 Cristina September 23, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I am going to try this tonight, great idea creating a work out for it…..sometimes i will just do weights in the middle of commercials but I always want something that will get my heart rate up!

39 Carrol July 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Very nice article, totally what I wanted to
find.