The Commercial Break Workout

I have to say…after trying out Monday’s little workout while watching TV, I’ve become somewhat intrigued. The more you think about it, using commercial breaks to get some extra movement into your day is absolutely genius.

I mean, now don’t get me wrong. I totally get that there are some days where, once we sit down to catch our favorite TV show, the thought of moving from the couch for anything more than a break for the bathroom seems daunting. But for those days where you may have a little extra spunk while watching the ‘boob tube,’ why not give this little routine a try?

I designed it so each commercial break incorporates some dynamic movement, a strength move, and something to hit the core. So whether you do two breaks or five, you’ll still be moving!

The Commercial Break Workout

Commercial Break #1

• 15 squats
  • 30 lateral hops (place the TV remote on the floor and hop side to side over it)
  • 15 crunches

Commercial Break #2

• 20 alternating lunges (10 on each leg)
  • imaginary jump rope – 60 “hops”
  • 30 bicycles (15 each side)

Commercial Break #3

• 50 jumping jacks
  • 15 push ups
  • 15 supermans (lie facedown on floor, lift legs and arms off floor at same time)

Commercial Break #4

• 50 mountain climbers (25 on each side)
  • 15 tricep dips (use the coffee table if you have to!)
  • 20 plank with side-to-side toe taps (10 each side)

Commercial Break #5

• 30 skaters OR high knees
  • wall sit – 60 seconds (use any of those walls! Keep the thighs parallel to ground)
  • 20 alternating side planks (10 each side, on elbows or hands)

And, of course, in case you’re a marathon TV watcher or a fan of the two hour Bachelorette episodes, feel free to repeat this routine more than once. Winking smile

Comments

1. Amanda Brezgel says

I absolutely love this! 😀 Been feeling lazy while watching TV lately and have done some of this, but it’s nice to have something to follow. Thanks!

This is genius! I absolutely love these workouts; they’re so simple (well…except for the wall sit- I’ll die at that one). Looking forward to trying this next Monday for the Bachelorette or if I watch any TV this weekend.

Thank you! :)

Commercial break workouts are a great idea, however, I tend to DVR everything! I may use these to do around the house when I am cleaning or organizing or playing with my kids. I think fitting in little bits of extra exercise whenever you can is a perfect idea!!
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Top Five Tuesday

4. Elizabeth says

Thanks ! I love that you put this workout together. I am going to use this workout when I watch TV.

5. Teresa says

This is great! Thanks!!
    When I watch TV, it’s usually DVR’d shows, so I don’t have commercial breaks. I do however sit in a cubicle for 10 hours a day, so I’m sneaking out once an hour to do one of these workouts. Hopefully it’ll keep me energized and more focused at work!

6. Cristina says

I am going to try this tonight, great idea creating a work out for it…..sometimes i will just do weights in the middle of commercials but I always want something that will get my heart rate up!

Trackbacks