I have to say…after trying out Monday’s little workout while watching TV, I’ve become somewhat intrigued. The more you think about it, using commercial breaks to get some extra movement into your day is absolutely genius.
I mean, now don’t get me wrong. I totally get that there are some days where, once we sit down to catch our favorite TV show, the thought of moving from the couch for anything more than a break for the bathroom seems daunting. But for those days where you may have a little extra spunk while watching the ‘boob tube,’ why not give this little routine a try?
I designed it so each commercial break incorporates some dynamic movement, a strength move, and something to hit the core. So whether you do two breaks or five, you’ll still be moving!
The Commercial Break Workout
Commercial Break #1
- 15 squats
- 30 lateral hops (place the TV remote on the floor and hop side to side over it)
- 15 crunches
Commercial Break #2
- 20 alternating lunges (10 on each leg)
- imaginary jump rope – 60 “hops”
- 30 bicycles (15 each side)
Commercial Break #3
- 50 jumping jacks
- 15 push ups
- 15 supermans (lie facedown on floor, lift legs and arms off floor at same time)
Commercial Break #4
- 50 mountain climbers (25 on each side)
- 15 tricep dips (use the coffee table if you have to!)
- 20 plank with side-to-side toe taps (10 each side)
Commercial Break #5
- 30 skaters OR high knees
- wall sit – 60 seconds (use any of those walls! Keep the thighs parallel to ground)
- 20 alternating side planks (10 each side, on elbows or hands)
And, of course, in case you’re a marathon TV watcher or a fan of the two hour Bachelorette episodes, feel free to repeat this routine more than once.