Cherry Almond Vanilla Cupcakes

by Courtney on June 21, 2012

Last week was record breaking around here.

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (1)

I was informed by the boys at Jay’s work that it had been quite a while since the last batch of cupcakes was sent into the office. Truth was, they were right. And that last batch was from a box and not even all that great. They deserved something good…and I had the perfect recipe in mind.

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (4)

Well over a year ago now, I ended up picking up one of those magazine-like recipe books while checking out at the grocery store. Typically when I buy these things, I’ll use them once – maybe twice – and then they get lost amongst the rest of my recipe books. This book, however, has been amazing. So many great recipe ideas.

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (3)

I’ll usually just use the recipes as a guide and tweak them a bit here or there to put my own spin on ‘em, but there has been one particular recipe that I’d been dying to try for months now; problem was, I never seemed to have a jar of maraschino cherries on hand.

Problem solved.

Now, I like to bake my fair share of cupcakes. I love chocolate ones, vanilla ones, orange cream ones and even Neapolitan ones. But this recipe right here is now, by far, my favorite recipe of them all.

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (6)

Jay tells me that the guys at work have dubbed these to be the best cupcakes yet (taking the place of these) and have continued to sing their praises, expletives and all, ever since.

Oh boy. Winking smile

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (7)

The cupcakes are so incredibly moist, with the perfect hint of cherry and almond flavors. The frosting is sweet, but not so much so where you feel like your teeth are rotting out of your head, ya know?

They’re most definitely a recipe for you to try ASAP.

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (2)

cherry almond vanilla cupcakes (5)

I’ll be making another batch of these today for my mom to have at a party this coming Friday, and if there are any leftovers, I’ll be sure to share ‘em with those lovely boys at work.

I’m really starting to think that I should ask for my own position there. Official Office Cupcake Baker, perhaps? Winking smile

1 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Look at you haha baking your way into the hearts of all of Jay’s coworkers! It’s pretty smart actually, you get to bake and try something then give it all away so you don’t have it sitting around to tempt you… genius! I have a nice three day weekend coming up and I think that tomorrow’s rainy day here in Baltimore is going to include a little baking :) Thanks!
Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor recently posted..Getting To Know Each Other A Little Better

2 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine June 21, 2012 at 12:15 pm

These look amazing! Did you think about putting a touch of chocolate in them?
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken – From A Crockpot

3 Courtney June 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I didn’t…but that’s not a bad idea!

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

You’re making me drool! And the cherry on top makes them look even better because I can never get enough marachino cherries! I used to eat them by the jar as a kid :) And I never have buttermilk so I appreciate the substitution suggestion – I’m writing that one down for the future.
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Cake Batter Frozen Yogurt and June Yoga Challenge Update

5 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life June 21, 2012 at 12:17 pm

These babies look amazing! My boyfriend is moving job sites next week and I think I need to whip up a batch of cupcakes for the workers he is leaving behind!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..First Day of Summer

6 Alysha @Shesontherun June 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Yum! This are too cute. Which decorating tip did you use? The Wilton 1M?
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Sweaty Bands Review + A Giveaway!

7 Courtney June 21, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Mine isn’t Wilton brand, but it’s a large star tip if that helps!

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I need to make these! The guys at Brandon’s old office used to always enjoy my baked goods, but I haven’t made anything for the new office since we’ve moved to Atlanta! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Funfetti: It’s like a party in your mouth.

9 michelle kim June 21, 2012 at 12:45 pm

There is only one place I go for cupcake recipes and it’s this blog. You’re so talented and gifted in the art of cupcake-making!
michelle kim recently posted..Soreness and Randomness

10 Courtney June 21, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Ahhh, thanks Michelle! :)

11 Trisha June 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Yes! I have this BHG magazine too & absolutely love the recipes. My mom & I made a bunch of them for my bridal shower last summer. I hold the title of Official Cupcake Baker both at work & in our personal lives and it’s a pretty great title to hold. Bringing smiles to people’s faces with cupcakes is a great thing!
Trisha recently posted..Thirsty Thursday: Strawberry Skinnyrita

12 Courtney June 21, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Isn’t it great?!? Are there any other recipes you’ve tried that you would recommend?

13 Trisha June 24, 2012 at 12:13 am

The Spiked Raspberry Lemonade is great. I think the Creme Brulee one was pretty good too. I’ve tweaked a few of the recipes to create my own too. It’s definitely an inspiring mag!
Trisha recently posted..Thirsty Thursday: Strawberry Skinnyrita

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles June 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’m sure you have won “Best Wife Ever” Award at Jay’s workplace! :)
Cherry + Almond sounds so refreshing!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Wrapping my head around weight gain

15 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Those cupcakes look fantastic! I wonder how they would taste if you made the cupcake chocolate? Yummy! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Getting Ready Music!…

16 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness June 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Amazing!!!! Your cupcakes always look so perfect!!!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Eating on the Go

17 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat June 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

The hubby would LOVE these!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..New Workout Rotation

18 Lizzie June 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Is it a requirement that your name has to start with J to work at Jay’s office?
Lizzie recently posted..Epic Smoothie

19 Courtney June 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm

LOL – you’d think so, right? ;)

20 Bri June 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I miss all of your baked goods recipes! These look delicious!

21 mandee June 21, 2012 at 2:09 pm

i’m the official cupcake baker at home and at work too! i can barely get them in and open my carrier before people swoop in… everyone loves cupcakes!

anyway, what cupcake papers do you use? i cannot use any kind of paper wrapper with any of my cupcakes from scratch because they all get greasy/oily on the bottom. Yuck. Yours don’t look that way at all though!

Wilton FINALLY came up with print foil ones that i’ll be trying for the first time this weekend… i’m excited!
mandee recently posted..Dark Chocolate Raspberry Kiss Cakes

22 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

They are perfect! cherry and almond…my favourite combo!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Ultimate luxury food

23 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 21, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I can’t wait to try these!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Staying Cool & Hydrated

24 Brandi June 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Holy yum these look amazing! :)

25 Caryln @ carylnrambles June 21, 2012 at 5:01 pm

mmmmm I want want of this “effing delicious” cupcakes! ;)
Caryln @ carylnrambles recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

26 Melanie June 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Oh my goodness Courtney these look insanely delicious! Thanks for the recipe!
Melanie recently posted..Italian Dunkers in 5 Minutes

27 michelle June 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

you make the best tastiest treats! you’re my favorite healthy-living blogger by far

28 Danica @ It's Progression June 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm

these sound fantastic, and the pictures are gorgeous!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..where to start…

29 Running from the Runs July 5, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I made this recipe the other day as part of a cake decorating class. It was a raging success, I made a cake instead of cupcakes and added chocolate chips to the batter. I used chocolate frosting, I also sent it to work with my husband, and received mad props. Thanks for the great recipe!