Plenty Of Healthy Fats

by Courtney on June 25, 2012

Thank you all for your incredibly supportive comments, tweets, and messages from this morning. Also, a big thank you to those of you who have been heading on over to Pinterest and “liking” my contest entry. I appreciate you all so, so much!

Lunch

Let’s talk for a moment about this salad.

I swear, if it weren’t for the avocado, this would just have been another ordinary, veggie-filled salad. But that avocado, man. Wooo-weee! Talk about kickin’ up the flavor a notch.

Crowded in amongst my delicious avocado slices was some romaine lettuce, cucumbers, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, corn on off the cob, scallions, and feta cheese.

I “dressed” it all up with a couple teaspoons of olive oil, a few generous splashes of balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, and dried basil. This thing left me so, so incredibly happy. Smile

Earlier this morning, after finishing up with this walking routine on the treadmill, I also snacked a bit on some nuts.

I picked up this can of Planters Nut-rition Digestive Health Mix yesterday (pretty sure I scored it for about $1.00 after my coupons and it being on sale – win!) and it’s not too bad. Pistachios haven’t always been my favorite type of nut, but I do enjoy them in this mix.

They pair pretty well along with the dried fruit and added granola chunks.

I’ve definitely had plenty of healthy fats, and plenty of yumminess so far today – I love it!

I’m really curious to see what’s going to happen with this scheduled softball game I have this evening. The skies look like they could open up any minute right now…and honestly, if it does get rained out, that’s a-okay with me because it means we get to properly celebrate mom’s birthday! I mean, you guys know how much I love my birthdays and all. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite ways to incorporate healthy fats throughout your day?

1 melissa (fitnessnyc) June 25, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I eat avocado like a champ, especially guac. Olive oil is my oil of choice and I love a almond stuffed dates for dessert.
melissa (fitnessnyc) recently posted..Simple Sunday

2 Catlin June 25, 2012 at 2:11 pm

i love eating some Peanut Butter or healthy nuts like almonds or walnuts :)

And I hope you have a great time tonight either way :)

3 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm

My favorite is probably peanut butter, but olive oil and coconut oil make their way into my eats daily too! My youngest absolutely loves avocado. He eats them daily for breakfast…I wish I liked them enough to do that too. He makes it look so good!

4 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway June 25, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I had avocado on my salad today too! I also love to eat them plain, and they are AMAZING in smoothies or banana soft serve- they add the perfect amount of creaminess!

5 Khushboo June 25, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I’m loving avocado recently, especially mashed with garlic powder and eaten with scrambled eggs. Other favourites include peanut butter (duh), roasted almonds as a snack and hummus (gotta love tahini)!
Khushboo recently posted..Sunday RunDay

6 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I am pretty much addicted to peanut butter, almonds and avocados. I add them to everything. I slice avocados and eat them with pretty much anything. :)
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday #3

7 Lindsey June 25, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Love avocado, I eat it daily :) Peanut butter makes a appearance almost every morning too!
Lindsey recently posted..Starbucks Run for Women & the Best Brunch

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I had a nice big scoop of peanut butter in my lunch time smoothie! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up

9 Renee June 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I love avocado on whole grain toast topped with a fried egg. Also, either almond butter or peanut butter are incorporated once a day.
Renee recently posted..Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas

10 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 25, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love adding avocado to my smoothies!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Tropical Fish Tacos with Pineapple Salsa and Lime Yogurt Sauce

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I love eating avocados or peanut butter. They are my favorite healthy fats :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Journey With Oliver…

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Nuts, peanut butter, avocado, extra virgin olive oil … etc etc etc! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..How about them (cider) apples?

13 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I looove avocado in anything!

I have a coupon for those nuts, too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..1st Birthday, 1 Day Late

14 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

you know i loooooooove my healthy fats! i’ve been eating about a half of an avocado per day plus a ton of nuts and nut butters. i also add olive oil to everything and anything i can think of!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Weekend Favorites [List Style]

15 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl June 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Just went over and liked your pin on Pinterest! Good Luck!
Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..The Most Important time is Family Time {Pics}

16 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 25, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Nut butters and nuts but of course! Love a bit of avocado too. I also use flax eggs quite a bit or ground flax in smoothies. It does look like a mighty fine avocado!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Magical

17 Kailey June 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I am loving avocados lately – especially on top of baked potatoes. Purely delicious!
Kailey recently posted..Pinter Perfect

18 Danica @ It's Progression June 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I just had avocado on my toasted sandwich at lunch….snacking on nuts (especially walnuts and almonds) is one of my favorite ways to add healthy fats to my diet!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..a wedding and a baby

19 Becka @ simplybecka.com June 25, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I like to try to add olive oil to things I am cooking like lean turkey or chicken. I also do take a supplement for fish oil. I am allergic to all tree nuts and seeds so I can’t get my healthy fats from yummy nuts. Bummer huh? ^_^ That avocado looks so good on your salad.
Becka @ simplybecka.com recently posted..inspiration…

20 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 25, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Almond butter and avocado are probably my FAVES but I also use olive oil for much of my cooking.

My salad today looked pretty similar to yours but sadly, no avocado for me :-(
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..A Night on the Town

21 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Just saw your morning post- I’m so excited for you that you have your personal training site up and running!! I love getting my healthy fats from nut butters, EVOO, and nuts!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Honeymoon Location

22 Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine June 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Definitely avocado! Eating it on my salad right now! I found little 100-calorie packs of natural guacamole at the store for $1 (get 3 packs for $1), and it helps a lot. I also love olive oil, and nuts, too.
Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine recently posted..CMT Awards Week-Recap

23 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 25, 2012 at 4:19 pm

What a coincidence! I just got out of my yearly physical and my doctor told me I need to be incorporating more healthy fats into my diet haha are you psychic? I think I’ll be trying to get my hands on that nut mix in the near future!
Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor recently posted..Monday Motivation: Train Hard, Eat Well, Rest, Repeat

24 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I too have an obsession with avocado and you already know how much I love PB. I think we could have a fan snack date…don’t you?
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Get Back into Your Fitness Routine after a Break

25 Katy June 25, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I try to eat as much fish as I can afford! I just bought 5 pounds of haddock because it went on sale. I stock up and freeze as much as possible!!
Katy recently posted..Changes

26 Caryln @ carylnrambles June 25, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I love Wholly Guacamole on my salads and throwing raw almonds in my smoothies!
Caryln @ carylnrambles recently posted..Weekend in Pinehurst

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I saw the training portion of your site last night when you “hinted” at some changes – good for you girl! It looks awesome – and we definitely still have to catch up. I know you’re out tonight but maybe tomorrow?
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..almond flour banana blueberry muffins

28 Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits June 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I love my healthy fats! Usually they come from coconut oil, avocado, almonds, and peanut butter :)
Brittany @ Little b’s healthy habits recently posted..Sushi Date Bet

29 Linz @ Itz Linz June 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Avocados and nut butters, baby! Have you ever tried to mash an avocado and add a little lemon or lime juice to use as a salad dressing?? So good!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Marvelous In My Monday Giveaway

30 corrie anne June 25, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Avo is my fave way too… makes any salad special!!!
corrie anne recently posted..Old South Pearl Street Farmers Market, Denver Pie Truck, & AikoPops

31 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third June 25, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Avocado makes EVERYTHING better! :)
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Do you suffer from FOMO (Fear of Missing Out)?

32 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third June 25, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Avocado makes EVERYTHING better! :)

33 Troy Adashun @ Formulatedfitness.com June 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Great article and very true on the amount of healthy fats- which are all delicious as well!

Fat gets a bad reputation-but healthy fats don’t necessarily make you “fat”

Avocade is so versatile! I love cooking with it and including it into just about every meal! It is so delicious sliced and put into omelets or fresh salads!

34 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony June 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Avocados or peanut butter! I can never get sick of either of them, and they can be used in SO many ways. :)
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Mix and Match

35 Lisa June 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm

I forgot about avocado for a while, but now I just can’t get enough! I could eat it with anything I think. I also love cashew butter, chia and hemp seeds, coconut butter and oil. I just love my healthy fats :)
Lisa recently posted..Marvelous Monday