Uphill Climb Interval Walk

by Courtney on June 26, 2012

Well heyyyy there. Fancy meeting you here this afternoon!

How’s your day going so far today? Good? Great? Did you get it started with a good breakfast? Maybe a great workout? I was lucky enough to be able to get a little bit of both in with mine, so let me go ahead and give ya the skinny…starting with breakfast.

In between sessions this morning, I had about a half hour to spare, so I swung by Starbucks for a quite bite to eat.

An egg white, spinach, and feta wrap + a grande sweetened blonde roast iced coffee.

Best part about this meal? It didn’t cost me a penny thanks to the gift card from Christmas that I just recently came across in my purse. Gotta love that, right? I had totally forgotten about it!

Next up, a workout. I kept things on the light side today and put together a quick, 30 minute walking routine that ended up looking like this:

Uphill Climb Interval Walk

It wasn’t the most challenging routine I’ve ever done, but it was a great way to spend the 30 minutes that I had available without sweating buckets. (For those of you who may be interested, I also put together a modified, beginner version which you can find HERE.)

And hey, if you’ve got access to a medicine ball, try pairing up the interval walk with this quick abs routine from Fitness Magazine. It came through in my email this morning and I’m totally diggin’ it; I love any core routine that doesn’t include crunches!

I’m hoping to have some time later to squeeze in a quick yoga session, but we’ll see how that goes since I have a pretty busy afternoon. (I’ve got to make sure that I meet my goal this week, since it is the last week of the June Yoga Challenge and all!)

Then again, all that talk about ice cream this morning is kind of making me want to spend my time finishing my pint of Ben & Jerry’s off too… Winking smile

Stay tuned later this evening…I’ve got a giveaway headed your way!

1 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Incline workouts ARE really good for a more “toned down” type of workout, all the while your blood is a-flowin’ through your veins! muahahah :) And I didn’t know Starbucks sold those wraps! It sounds like a rather smart option for Sbucks. Have a beautiful and blessed day Courtney!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Marvelous Monday

2 Lauren @Call Me Mrs. Rapp June 26, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I came across a gift card, also leftover from Christmas, just last week. However the product of your gift card was much healthier…mine was for my favorite Chicago deep dish pizza! It’s shipped on dry ice, and is utterly dangerous.
Lauren @Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..A Day in Disney…in Instagram

3 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 26, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the workout! I’ll have to bookmark this one for a day that I want to take more of an “active rest day”… Can’t say that I’ve ever bought anything other than coffee at Starbucks but it is nice to see that you manage to find healthy things even when your on the go :)
Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor recently posted..Talk to Me Tuesday: Calorie Counting vs. Intuitive Eating

4 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats June 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I haven’t tried that flavor but I did just stumble upon Ben & Jerry’s peanut butter banana flavored Greek FROYO. Holy yum, it is delicious! Banana Greek Froyo with peanut butter swirled around, I had a hard time walking away! Plus it has 6 g of protein per 1/2 cup serving. Awesome. Seems like Ben & Jerry’s has really kicked up their flavors recently…
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..A Weekend Visiting my Family and a Trip to the ER

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’ve had that flavor, too, and I LOVE it! It combines my two favorite things … peanut butter and banana! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..How about them (cider) apples?

6 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony June 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm

My sister just texted me last night telling me to go buy that flavor and try it out! She said topped with a little granola it’s even more amazing!
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Brownie Batter Oats

7 Courtney June 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Holy crap, that sounds sooooo good!

8 Alysha @Shesontherun June 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love walking incline workouts. They’re tough! Do you ever hold onto the hand rails? Like if you’re at an incline for 8 or higher. Does it minimize the calorie burn? Thoughts? :)

9 Yellow Haired Girl June 26, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I love incline workouts! They’re tougher than they appear :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..I Did It

10 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I didn’t realize that this was the last week of the challenge! Wow time flies! I’m going to a Hatha class tonight :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Double Chocolate Cranberry Quinoa Bars and a Running Update

11 Catlin June 26, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I will def have to try that walking workout. I always feel like they are perfect for days when I don’t know what to do :)
They don’t seem hard until you are at the top incline.
Catlin recently posted..1/2 marathon training plan

12 Michelle (Better with Berries) June 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I can’t wait to be able to do incline walks again! They definitely work my muscles in a different way and I love it. Right now our treadmill is finicky and breaks if you change the incline, but I’ll have a gym membership in about a month and a half. Yayy!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Go Cards! And a Summer Workout

13 michelle kim June 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Ooh, thanks for this uphill workout! What a great way to get in a quick workout :)
michelle kim recently posted..Why I Love Trail Running

14 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine June 26, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Can’t wait to try this tonight! I have been doing incline walks alot lately, but typically I just use whatever program is on the treadmill :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Spicy Thai Peanut Chicken – From A Crockpot

15 B @ Crags and Veggies June 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I haven’t tried a wrap from starbucks, but I can’t wait to now! I love getting drinks there, but the pastries don’t quite fill me up….at least not for long with all the sugar! You should definitely eat some Ben and Jerry’s! Summer = ice cream time and ben and jerry’s is fairly natural considering the unique flavors! I’ve been eating their greek yogurt blueberry one, it’s awesome and not too sugary!
B @ Crags and Veggies recently posted..Zucchini Green Curry

16 Megan@ The Running Doc June 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Those spinach and feta wraps are so good. In fact, they’re the only reason I ever go to Starbuck’s since I don’t drink coffee. :) And thanks for linking to that ab workout, I think it’ll be the perfect compliment to my workout tonight.
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Bacon Wrapped Jalapeños

17 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm

love starbuck’s spinach wraps — yumm!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Hasselback Red Potatoes & Breaking News!

18 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 26, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I love finding long lost gift cards! It is as good as reaching in a winter coat and discovering $20! :)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Reduce Stress with your Senses

19 char eats GREENS June 26, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Using gift cards is the absolute best. I feel like some people get them all the time. Unfortunately, I’m not one of them haha!
char eats GREENS recently posted..the ‘everything from your garden’ potato salad

20 erica June 26, 2012 at 5:08 pm

i love that spinach feta wrap at starbucks! i wish they’d stuff it more though! lol.
erica recently posted..small goals

21 Linz @ Itz Linz June 26, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Awesome! I love incline walking!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..TRX

22 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 26, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I need to incorporate some incline walking into my routines!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Recap of an Amazing Weekend in Dallas

23 Lauren June 26, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Ahh, how did you hold on to a SBux gift card for 6 months? haha, they last all but 5 minutes in my possession. :)

24 Courtney June 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Hahaha, I KNOW, right?!? It totally got lost in all of my other crap in there apparently ;)

25 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Health June 27, 2012 at 10:32 am

I used to love the spinach feta wrap until I discovered it has 830mg of sodium! Eeek! They claim its only 36% of your daily requirements but last I checked adults only need 1500mg/ day.
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Health recently posted..Strawberry french toast

26 Holly June 27, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I did the uphill walk today as part of my workout- loved it! :) Cranked up the speed to 5.0 instead of 4.5, only because my 4.5 is pretty much awkward jogging/ walking, so I figured I would just up it to make it ‘real’ jogging…haha! Hope that kind of makes sense!
Thanks for sharing!! :D
Holly recently posted..Over Halfway There!

27 Jane Jeanor July 1, 2012 at 12:27 am

I love your workout plan and it has helped me a lot. Thanks…..