You Know Those Nights…

by Courtney on June 27, 2012

…where the thought of putting any sort of effort into preparing dinner pretty much makes your head spin?

Yep, last night was totally one of those nights for me…and here’s my evidence.

Jay had a softball game so I was on my own for dinner, and after a long and somewhat challenging day, all I really wanted to do was dive head first into the peanut butter jar.

I was impressed with the fact that I even took the time to wash the berries.

But it was worth it because that cereal bowl was great – Quaker Oatmeal Squares with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The bowl was LOADED thanks to so many berries.

A couple hours later, after Jay got home, we both finished off our respective pints of Ben & Jerry’s. It lasted three days…not toooo terrible, right? Winking smile

Breakfast

Seeing as though the only sort of vegetable to hit my lips yesterday was the measly amount of spinach in my breakfast wrap, I figured it’d be a good idea to try to get ahead of the game this morning.

Need to get veggies in to your morning? An egg + veggie scramble is where it’s at.

Today’s batch was made up of 1 egg + 2 egg whites, feta cheese, broccoli, red onion, and tomatoes…oh, and ketchup. Duh.

On the side I had a slice of whole wheat toast topped with Justin’s Almond Butter.

That guy Justin, man. I’ll tell ya…he knows his stuff. I’ve been looking far and wide for some packets of his vanilla almond butter that I’ve seen floating around the blog world, but no such luck over here. Same goes for those candy bars of his.

If anyone knows where I might be able to get my hands on these babies, please help a sister out…I’m desperate!

Question for the Morning:

What’s been your lamest dinner this past week?

1 Casey June 27, 2012 at 8:37 am

The Justin’s vanilla almond butter is exclusive to whole foods :)

2 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 27, 2012 at 8:38 am

Lame dinners are totally worth it once in a while :). And hey…at lease you got some nutritious ingredients in there with the berries hehe.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Review and Hiking in the Smoky Mountains

3 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance June 27, 2012 at 8:40 am

That brings me back to college days! I used to eat a couple bowls of cereal for dinner at least 2-3 times a week! And I’ve been looking for Justin’s chocolate hazelnut spread but I can only find the almond one in NH :/
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #11

4 Catlin June 27, 2012 at 8:40 am

I dont think I have had a lame dinner this week… but I for sure have had those nights.. probably a bag of popcorn.

It is yummy though :)

And your cereal looks good… it totally is not lame :)

5 briana June 27, 2012 at 8:40 am

The night we got home from Boston it was so hot here in Denver, so I put frozen bananas, reeses cups, milk, and granola in the blender and called it a milkshake dinner. LOL

6 Courtney June 27, 2012 at 8:44 am

That is one of the most awesome dinner ideas I’ve heard in a long time, lol. It must have been outstanding?!

7 briana June 27, 2012 at 11:59 am

Definately outstanding, I highly recommend it !

8 Janae @ Bring-Joy June 27, 2012 at 8:59 am

Wow, what a fab dinner!
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..New Fitworkout Video: 5 Minute Abs

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 27, 2012 at 10:39 am

I think you may be my new best friend.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Rocking the Rock Wall.

10 briana June 27, 2012 at 11:59 am

Lol I’ll be your new best friend :) It was delicous and Iv’e actually made it every night for dessert since !

11 Rachel June 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

I didn’t even know he made vanilla almond butter! I’ll have to look for it, I looove vanilla :)
Rachel recently posted..Cottage Cheese

12 Jennifer @ Healthy Wifestyles June 27, 2012 at 8:41 am

The Fresh Market has the candy bars in the checkout! I think that is also where I found a little packet of the Vanilla Almond Butter, too!! (But it could have been the Niskayuna Target). It was like finding a needle in a haystack – come to think of it, I need to head back to stock up ;)
Jennifer @ Healthy Wifestyles recently posted..The Daily Plate {Taste of Tuesday}

13 Courtney June 27, 2012 at 8:43 am

Oh really?!?! Ohhhhhh boyyyyy! Thanks so much for the heads up Jennifer! :)

14 Jennifer @ Healthy Wifestyles June 27, 2012 at 8:45 am

It may be the Honey Almond Butter I am thinking of, but the candy bars are for sure there!!

15 Leanne June 27, 2012 at 8:49 am

My lamest dinner this week has been an entire roll of rice cakes dipped in garlic aioli – mayonnaise. It was during my evening shift at work and we didn’t have time to have a proper dinner, so I brought with me a packet of rice cakes and I got a 1/2 cup of fresh aioli from the restaurant kitchen and I started dipping & eating while handing beers to drunk guests listening to a band playing ;-) Lot’s of fun, but my dinner was pretty pathetic – lol! XO
Leanne recently posted..WIAW – Experimenting in the kitchen – enjoying homemade food and snacking sensibly…or not so much?

16 Khushboo Thadani June 27, 2012 at 8:49 am

Oh I am so contemplating having cereal or an oats with yogurt for dinner…I’m craving sweet like nobody’s business and something tells me this is a better alternative than raiding my Lindt stash!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Sunday RunDay

17 Katie June 27, 2012 at 8:50 am

LOL I’ve been having lame dinners since it got stifling hot. My apt is kind of big, and the A/C doesn’t do much to help the heat in the kitchen. Earlire this week I had a container of Greek yogurt, a serving of edamame, and some Kashi with raspberries.

Last night I put markedly more effort into dinner. I had an egg scramble with chickpeas (I was nervous, but it wasn’t terrible) and a peach on the side. Iron Chef I am not.

18 Brooke June 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

Target! I’ve gotten the small packets of the vanilla there, and maple too I think. I think they have regular sized jars also.

19 Cassi June 27, 2012 at 8:53 am

He makes a vanilla almond butter?! I ‘ve never seen that and it’s not on the website. I know he makes a killer Honey Almond Butter…which I eat WAYYY too many servings of at once. :)

20 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog June 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

My fiance likes ketchup on his eggs and I always found that weird, though I love salsa on my eggs. To each his own. :)

When I’m feeling lazy at dinner, I usually end up eating watermelon & a skinny cow. Fruit and icecream, thats healthy right?
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #8

21 Lea June 27, 2012 at 8:57 am

I have been looking high and low for the Vanilla Almond Butter too. Apparently it’s exclusive to Whole Foods, but my Whole Foods didn’t have any. Boo.
Lea recently posted..Ants on a Log (WIAW)

22 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes June 27, 2012 at 8:57 am

Your cereal looks delicious and totally not lame! I’m also having a veggie scramble for breakfast this morning :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..What a Bummer

23 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 27, 2012 at 8:58 am

sometimes cereal bowls for dinner are just the way to go! especially loaded with fresh berries!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Coconut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

24 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope June 27, 2012 at 9:04 am

I don’t think your cereal looks lame at all! Quaker Oat Squares are one of my favorites! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Alice In Wonderland Themed Work Bridal Shower!…

25 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine June 27, 2012 at 9:11 am

Gotta love the oatmeal squares – I love how they always stay crunchy inside.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Where The Heck Have I Been?! – The Post Where I Talk About Buying A House.

26 Presley (@runpretty) June 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

Definitely want to try the Apple Cinnamon… always a favorite :)
Presley (@runpretty) recently posted..WIAW: Weekly Best

27 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life June 27, 2012 at 9:15 am

Have you tried Justin’s maple almond butter? OMGee, it is to die for, so good!!!!! I buy the packets and eat them for snacks and usually on my drive home from buying them!
Nice job getting in some vegetables first thing this morning! :)

28 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 27, 2012 at 9:17 am

Tonight might end up being a lame dinner…Wednesday’s are hard because I go watch the BF play softball :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..WIAW: sweet and savory

29 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 27, 2012 at 9:24 am

on the package of the justin’s vanilla almond butter i have, it says “exclusive at whole foods”. have you looked there yet? i SO hope you’re able to get your hands on some soon! it’s GOOD stuff! :)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #40: New-To-Me Recipes

30 Courtney June 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

Sadly, no Whole Foods over in my neck of the woods. Guess it looks like it’s time for a road trip! ;)

31 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries June 27, 2012 at 10:38 am

ORRRR i shall send you some! :)

32 Janae @ Bring-Joy June 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

What we would do without the modern invention of cereal? I know this has been our go-to quick dinner many nights, & my kids never complain.
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..New Fitworkout Video: 5 Minute Abs

33 mandee June 27, 2012 at 9:27 am

i made your white chocolate pb cake bars last night and had one for breakfast… i couldn’t help myself. it was gooooooood!

34 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles June 27, 2012 at 9:31 am

My eats are really lame as of late— oatmeal, protein smoothies, and salads with string cheese….. I am just not in the mood to cook dinner and we’re eating super late too. I just can’t get the whole schedule thing worked out!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Week 29 & Week 30 of growing our BLESSING

35 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony June 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

There’s a great website called Abe’s Market that sells all natural products including Justin’s Nut Butter and peanut butter cups. They have so many great finds on there! My favorite is the Snackle Mouth granola. :) They also sell all natural beauty, pet, health, home, and fashion products. http://www.abesmarket.com/store/justinsnutbutter/products/
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Choose This, Not That

36 Andrea @ ANdrea Out Loud! June 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

I think i need to try broccoli in eggs! I would probably love it, and itd be a good way to get veggies for breakfast :)

37 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats June 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’ve been seeing Justin’s stuff on blogs EVERYWHERE. Haven’t seen it in many stores though :( I need to buy some ASAP! Looks scrumptious yummm

38 Megan@ The Running Doc June 27, 2012 at 10:03 am

Late last week I attempted to make some homemade chinese food and it was a total bust. I ended up eating roasted broccoli and watermelon for dinner. But hey, at least my dinner still had fruits and veggies. :)
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

39 Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor June 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

I too had a breakfast for din din night last night! I got home from my hair appointment and eggs seemed like the easy go-to. I am also dying to try the vanilla almond butter… can’t find it anywhere online either! I wasn’t a huge fan of the Justin’s candy… they are pretty high in calories and I’d rather enjoy nut butter in the creamy form rather than in a candy form!
Taylor @ A Taste of Taylor recently posted..You Can’t Out-Exercise A Bad Diet

40 Chelsea @ Chelsea's Health June 27, 2012 at 10:14 am

I am obsessed with Justin’s nut butters and bars! I find them at Whole Foods, Target (packets of pb only), Walmart (packets only), and Fresh Market!
Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Health recently posted..Strawberry french toast

41 kristin June 27, 2012 at 10:15 am

My lamest would be skipping dinner all together – way to tired and would rather have just made a pot of coffee. Other times the same cereal, bagels, eggs, chips

I think I may need a personal chief because it seems as though I never like to cook :0

42 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway June 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

I am ADDICTED to the dark chocolate Justin’s peanut butter cups. We always have the candy bars on hand too- I get them at Whole Foods! I have searched every Whole Foods/Natural Food Store in my area and can’t find the Vanilla Almond Butter either! I was looking for the snack pack so I could try it before splurging on a whole bottle, but I guess I am going to have to get it online!

43 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway June 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

Also, since starting work I have been living off of lame dinners- my favorite is a bunch of roasted veggies (sweet potatoes, broccoli, carrots etc.) dipped in Trader Joe’s three layer hummus, its perfect!
Hayley @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..Workout Schedule + Runtastic

44 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 27, 2012 at 10:22 am

My lamest dinner was actually what I just posted… A smoothie bowl! Tw deliciousness made up for how lame it was though! ;)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: Beach Edition!

45 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 27, 2012 at 10:36 am

I had oatmeal the other day for dinner. I was craving it but still…pretty lame!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..Welcome to Summer Virtual Run 5k/10k

46 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess June 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

I reallly want to try that Justin Vanilla almond butter too. I’m in the same boat as you though unfortunately.
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..MIMM #3

47 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom June 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

So far so good on the dinners this week but last week I resorted to a bowl of cheerios for dinner. Sometimes, it just happens!!

Speaking of cereal, after reading about how much you love the Quaker Oat Squares I bought some and OMG, they are SOOOOO addicting. LOVE them!! So much in fact, that I am now declaring them as my favorite cereal.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #2

48 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers June 27, 2012 at 11:10 am

I have to laugh, there has been pleanty of times where I had cereal for dinner. Normally a big bowl of oatmeal! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Pan Seared Chicken with Cherry Salsa

49 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 27, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’ve been surprised that I haven’t resorted to any cereal dinners for a few weeks now. I think that must be because I’ve been stepping up my meal planning and allowing for some super easy leftover dinners that still taste delicious.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Foodie for a Day // Evening Snacks

50 Lindsay June 27, 2012 at 11:50 am

They are at the Target in Mohawk Commons.

51 clare @ fittingitallin June 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I’ll send you some if you can’t find any! Just email me your address:) I’ve been the Justin’s Vanilla Fairy lately
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..I Snatched

52 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit June 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I feel like my lamest dinner is going to be tonight. My husband has a work dinner so I’m on my own…I’ve got some leftover quinoa, a chicken sausage, goat cheese, green beans, spinach and peas…I’m hoping that if I throw it all together it will resemble something tasty. We shall see :)
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Top 5 benefits of Pilates (including killer abs!)

53 michelle kim June 27, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Lamest dinner was two nights ago… a protein shake. Boo.
michelle kim recently posted..Another Hard Trail Run

54 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I NEED to try some of the vanilla almond butter!

My lamest dinner was by far the pb & j I ate for dinner last night!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Philly Cheese Steak Mac ‘n’ Cheese

55 Ellie@Fit for the Soul June 27, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Ohh I totally have been wanting to try the vanilla AB too! I will def. update you on where to find it if I get it myself. And your breakfast looks great! Packed with all the essential nutrients.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Marvelous Monday

56 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 27, 2012 at 1:19 pm

i’m all about the veg scramble! i make a spinach scramble just about every morning! yay greens:)
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Broccoli & Kale Pesto Pasta! GF, V, BED!

57 Danica @ It's Progression June 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’ve been searching for Justin’s organic peanut butter cups…someone said they were at Whole Foods (which I sadly don’t have anywhere near me), but maybe you could find the bars there?
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #27: Summertime Fresh Fruit

58 Annette@FitnessPerks June 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I love veggie egg scrambles. SOOOO good!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..How To Cure Obesity?

59 Lot-O-Choc June 27, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Your bowl of cereal for dinner still looks amazingly delicious haha! I wish we even got Justins in the UK…we dont get any of the nut butters! When I need my fix I have to to order online..and they normally end up taking agesss to arrive :(

60 Lisa June 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I can’t even get regular Justin’s nut butter. Its slightly devastating because I hear so many good things about it, oh welll. Sometimes, a bowl of cereal is just needed for dinner, when I get lazy that’s usually all I want. At least you got in a serving of fruit in your dinner!
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #14

61 Kim @ The Family Practice June 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love it! “I’m surprised I even washed the berries” – I’ve had nights like that where even the thought of getting a plate or bowl out is far too long of a wait. At least your cereal bowl was a healthy choice. I end up munching on things from the snack drawer all night and still being hungry.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Bonus Round

62 Serena June 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I’m up in Saratoga. Please let me know if you find any of Justin’s vanilla almond butter around here. I’m sure it’s worth the drive!

63 Laura June 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm

today’s dinner was a half a slice of leftover pizza that my son didn’t finish + a chips ahoy cookie. going for a veggie scramble in the morning, lol!

64 Katy June 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I had a bowl of Special K and a handful of raisins. Terrible.
Katy recently posted..WIAW: Recipes and Giveaways

65 Colleen June 28, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I bought the small packets of his maple almond butter at the
Guilderland Hannaford today. That’s the only item of justin’s they carry.
Amazon sells a whole bunch of varities in jars and packets. According to the
Justin website, all the area Hannaford carry some of his products.