Sign of a True Friend

by Courtney on July 3, 2012

Good morning and happy Tuesday…from my usual little corner at Starbucks.

Yup, I went back to the oats in a jar in public today. I’ve been getting looks and glances all morning long, but the kicker was the lady who continued to stare, proceeded to order a scone, a piece of banana loaf, and a venti white chocolate mocha and then sit and eat them all across the room.

Hey, if she wants to judge me for eating out of a peanut butter jar while she tackles her breakfast of 1,000+ calories, then she can go riiiiight ahead.

Today’s batch of OIAJ was too good to worry about what people thought anyway, and I have my good friend Kate to thank.

I love how she thinks to save her almost empty PB jars for me. Is that not a sign of a true friend or what? Winking smile

I prepped my usual batch of OIAJ last night (with lots of blueberries) and topped it with some Love Grown Foods granola this morning.

A safe bet, as always.

I’ve got a few errands to take care of later this morning, then I’m back to work for a bit, then I have a couple of appointments, then its back home…at some point!

Be on the lookout later this afternoon for a new workout to try. Smile

Some Reading Material For Your Tuesday…

Question for the Morning:

What do you consider to be a sign of a true friend (funny – aka, saving PB jars for you, or serious)?

1 Michelle@PeachyPalate July 3, 2012 at 8:47 am

Looking forward to a new workout to try! I love people watching, though there is nothing worse than people who just stair rudely, I definitely would have said something!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..Jammy

2 Khushboo Thadani July 3, 2012 at 8:48 am

HAHAHA that made me laugh about the lady staring at you…so quick to judge! She starts her morning with a sugar hangover yet you’re the one who gets the stares- funny how that pans out! I need a Kate in my life :)! A true friend doesn’t ask you what you want to drink…she goes right ahead and makes the drink without asking !
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Reaching bodily perfection

3 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 3, 2012 at 8:58 am

Sign of a true friend: they’ll tell you when you have chocolate on your face, or spinach in your teeth.
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..MM: Marvelous Mondays, Ups & Downs

4 CourtneysfriendJoey July 3, 2012 at 9:01 am

I feel as though I deserve a shout-out for the peanut butter jar as well. Who do you think had to eat all that peanut butter for you to get the jar??? And now thanks to this post I have “it’s peanut butter jelly time” stuck in my head again… thanks alot Courtney!!!

5 Courtney July 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hahaha, ok fair enough Joey! THANK YOUUU!!
(and now it’s also stuck in my head too) ;)

6 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 3, 2012 at 9:03 am

Oats in a PB jar has to be one of the single greatest ideas of this century!

Let the haters keep hatin’!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Fireworks!

7 Cait @ Beyond Bananas July 3, 2012 at 9:05 am

That really is the sign of a true friend right there! I personally can never get myself to LEAVE the lasts of the nut butter in the jar for OIAJ. I end up scraping out every last ounce!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Fitness Photo Shoot & A Call for Help!

8 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

That’s too cute! The only thing I’ve ever had friends save for me is wine corks :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Red, White, and Blue Berry Goat Cheese Crostinis

9 Lindsey July 3, 2012 at 9:09 am

I think that is a sign for sure! I need to get my buddies on it ;) I think for me honesty and loyalty are the top two traits :)
Lindsey recently posted..Fireworks, Friends & Fun

10 Catlin July 3, 2012 at 9:10 am

That is too sweet!
Your friend sounds so nice. :)

I have never tried OIAJ… so I am going to have to. They look and sound AMAZING :)

Have a wonderful day.
Catlin recently posted..Walking…

11 Kait - @runkaitrun July 3, 2012 at 9:11 am

hahah i love this! jokes on that lady.

i got similar stares from my roommates last night when bringing my bike into the kitchen to force myself to go for an early ride this morning. just keep doing your thing… haters gonna hate ;)
Kait – @runkaitrun recently posted..The 5k that Kicked Me in the Face

12 Linda July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

Love those links and your friend sounds like my Liz!
Linda recently posted..Have you put YOU on your to-do list?

13 Molly @ A Fresh Start For Molly July 3, 2012 at 9:23 am

This reminded me that I have an almost empty jar of PB in the cupboard just waiting to be united with some oats! Can’t wait :)
Molly @ A Fresh Start For Molly recently posted..Friday: Working For The (Long) Weekend

14 Megan S. July 3, 2012 at 9:25 am

I had OIAJ too in that same exact jar (but creamy Skippy) and I won’t lie…I get pretty excited the night before knowing that I get to scoop up PB in my oatmeal the next morning! SO GOOD!

15 Faith @ For the Health of It July 3, 2012 at 9:25 am

A good friend is one who knows you well enough to make you do something that’s good for you, even when you’re being stubborn. That’s why I loved my college roomie – she could pull me out of a funk and get me to do what I needed to, even when all I wanted to do was be a bum on the sofa.

16 Jessie July 3, 2012 at 9:26 am

Ha, love the story about the overly hungry lady :) I can’t think of a better way to describe a true friend than how you just did.. ohh and it’d be good if that friend let me know if I have something gross in my teeth, or my shirt on backwards!

Have a wonderful day :) **Also, I just started my own blog.. TODAY! Check it out!
Jessie recently posted..It’s finally time!

17 Kirsten July 3, 2012 at 9:40 am

That is hilarious!! People are so bizarre. Maybe she thought you were actually eating an entire container of peanut butter for breakfast, in which case her meal would be comparable.
Kirsten recently posted..Day 180: Scenes at Dusk and Rock Hard Abs

18 Kim @ The Family Practice July 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’m starting to have a “usual corner” at Starbucks now too – from 6:45 to 8 my office is a table top on the train. From 8 to 9 I hunker down at Starbucks and write. Only an hour but I get a lot done!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Pants First, Then Shoes

19 Michelle @ Blogitness July 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love this…Oats in a Jar gone public!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Thank Goodness for No Jury Duty and a Funky Monkey Giveaway!

20 Yellow Haired Girl July 3, 2012 at 9:57 am

Bahahahaha. Love the story of the Judgy McJudgerson.
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Why I’ll Probably Never Get Off The Treadmill

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 3, 2012 at 10:02 am

Ha, that is too funny that your friends save you their empty peanut butter jars! I need to get mine to do that now!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Summer Lovin’

22 Megan@ The Running Doc July 3, 2012 at 10:04 am

A good friend is one who will come out and run a 10k with you just because she knows you need someone to push you even though she really doens’t feel like it. :)

Ugh, I can’t even imagine eat a 1,000 calorie breakfast.
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Cheesy Yellow Squash Rice

23 Shannon July 3, 2012 at 10:16 am

Sign of a true friend: they are always bluntly honest with you, and nice to you. They treat you with respect.
Shannon recently posted..I love…

24 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 3, 2012 at 10:32 am

That is too funny that you get weird looks when people see you eating out of the peanut butter jar! Sign number one you are a health blogger…I wouldn’t think anything of it! I guess to the average person though they might wonder :) Their loss because your breakfast is delicious and healthy!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Gluten Free and Paleo Recipes for your Cookout!

25 Holly July 3, 2012 at 10:34 am

You should of offered her a taste of OIAJ…she would of been pleasantly surprised (or maybe shocked ;) )…and even more surprised at how good they are…and like an 1/8th of the calories she is getting.
Holly recently posted..The REAL Stuff.

26 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats July 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

Haha now that is a REAL friend! Oh, and I was too curious so I looked it up, her breakfast was approximately 1,440 calories. That’s about my BMR…
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Friday, Friday, Gotta Get Down On Friday!

27 Angela July 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

I’m a new reader to your blog and I absolutely love it!! Too funny on the “starer” in Starbucks. The sad part about it, I doubt she even realizes she is consuming that many calories.

28 Courtney July 3, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thanks for reading, Angela! :)

29 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

A true friend, indeed!!! Don’t ever let her make her own batch to try or you may not get her almost empty jars anymore. That would be sad!! :-(

Love new workouts!Can’t wait to see what you have to share!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..To Gym or Not to Gym. That is the Question?

30 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers July 3, 2012 at 11:20 am

I love it! I eat my oatmeal in a jar in public and I don’t care! :) You have a true friend!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..My All American Pancakes

31 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings July 3, 2012 at 11:31 am

OIAJ is one of the most brilliant ideas I’ve come across! It makes an empty peanut butter jar a lot less depressing. :) And I LOL’d when you mentioned the woman with the giant, sugary breakfast, because I would’ve been thinking the same thing!

I knew that my friends were true keepers when they graciously helped me move to a new apartment in the middle of January in Michigan… with no complaints!!
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..Howdy from TX!

32 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony July 3, 2012 at 11:31 am

Haha I love it! I actually just leaped across the room the other morning when my boyfriend was about to throw out an almost empty jar of peanut butter. He looked at me like I was crazy! Since we rarely get to eat breakfast together, he’s never seen me embrace my OIAJ. :)
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Lunch in a Wine Glass

33 Debbie (Accidently Delish) July 3, 2012 at 11:34 am

hey now lady, you’re not allowed to judge her breakfast if she can’t judge yours ;) we’re all free to make our own choices, whether we agree with them or not.

but that IS a true friend by the way with the pb jar, i have to beg my fiance to leave me some scrappings!! he loves to wipe those jars clean!!

and i liked that article on 40 things to try when you don’t want to work out. i always find i dont ever want to work out, but once i start moving i get all into it. funny how that happens.
Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Debbie

34 Courtney July 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Touche, Debbie, touche ;)

35 Debbie (Accidently Delish) July 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

tee hee. as much as i don’t agree with her breakfast i just HAD to argue the other side. haha. <3
Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Debbie

36 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction July 3, 2012 at 11:45 am

Haha! I always eat random food in public! A lot of the times I’ll just randomly pull out a snack from my purse and just start eating it where ever I am. People are usually like, where did you just get that from?

37 Shana July 3, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I do the same thing! Like when I’m in TJ Maxx and pull out a bag of grapes from my purse. I believe healthy snacks should be allowed at any establishment whether they sell food or not!
Shana recently posted..Roll With It

38 Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I think I’m going to get the BF started on oats in a jar. He needs a filling breakfast on the go!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..3 miles in the zone

39 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie July 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

That lady was probably just jealous she didn’t have oats in a jar :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Using the Oven = Not the Best Idea

40 Kalyn July 3, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I love the oats in a jar! As a college student that carries a giant jar of JIF Natural and a spoon in my backpack for snacks during/between classes, I know the crazy looks that you get!
Kalyn recently posted..SiriusXM vs AM/FM

41 Lauren July 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Maybe she just thought it was odd that you brought your own food into a place that sells food?

42 Rachel July 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm

haha! I love how she ordered a ton of bad food lol I totally want to do that one day with the jar and make people think I’m this weirdo haha

43 Courtney July 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Wait a sec…are you calling me a weirdo? ;)

44 rachel July 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Haha omg no! Lol just cause I never thought how strange it must look to see someone eating out of a pb jar haha
rachel recently posted..He wanted a Blazer?!

45 Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because July 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm

OIAJ is nothing to be ashamed of!

A sign of a good friend is someone who drags your butt out the door when you’re whining about running. Fortunately, my DH is very good at this :)
Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Challenges & Resting

46 Jillian July 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Love grown is finally being stocked at my local canadian grocery store. Do you just eat the plain granola? or which flavour is your favorite?

47 Courtney July 3, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I love the plain because it’s so versatile, but the raisin almond and cranberry pecan are also both incredible!

48 Katy July 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hahaha I love your attitude. Sounds like she needs to look in the mirror if she is looking for someone to judge!
Katy recently posted..July

49 Marie July 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

A true friend, I feel, is one who doesn’t judge but who also can tell you in a loving way where you can improve your perspective or life. LOL, we usually buy the huge Costco jar of PB…can you imagine the stares!??

50 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog July 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

When I used to have a bad day, my best friend would bring me a diet cherry limeaid from Sonic and a few cake balls from our local cake shoppe that were TO DIE FOR. :) Those were the days.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday #4

51 Shana July 3, 2012 at 7:18 pm

You should see the looks I get when I mix up a batch of PB2 at work and proceed to eat it with a spoon (and nothing else). PB2 sidebar: It’s really, really good made with almond milk and cinnamon. I just discovered a blend of cashew, hazelnut, and almond milk that pretty much makes the best Pb2 mixture ever. Oh, the possibilities!
Shana recently posted..Roll With It

52 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 3, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I love that your friends do that for you – too stinking funny!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..good pancakes

53 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate July 3, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Haha I have definitely eaten OIAJ in public multiple times and encountered the same looks. They don’t know what they are missing!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..The Best Frozen Yogurt