Quite Nostalgic

Good morning, friends! Oh my gosh, I have such a busy and exciting weekend ahead of me – it’s Rachel’s wedding weekend! I’m so, so excited for so many reasons. One of my best friends is getting married, so I’m obviously ecstatic. You guys know that I also love a good party and can’t help but bust a move out on the dance floor.

But one of the things I’m really looking forward to the most is that Rachel’s wedding ceremony is going to be taking place at the sanctuary of the place we all first met…back at the good ‘ol College of Saint Rose.

A random college night, circa 2007 – did anyone else own about five of those cropped tie-front sweaters? Man, they were the “in” thing for a while…

I’m already an emotional wreck when it comes to weddings, but actually being back on campus, and right next to our old dorm rooms no less, is going to make me feel quite nostalgic. Ahhh, I’m so excited! I <3 weddings!

*****

Last Night’s Dinner

Knowing that Jay and I weren’t going to be around home too much this weekend for meals, I wanted to use up some produce and finish up some leftovers.

Corn on the cob, the rest of the Zucchini Casserole, and an amazingly delicious sweet potato.

This sweet potato was inspired by the yummy one I had at Outback earlier this week, and I’m happy to say that mine was even better! Since I love the taste of baked potatoes cooked in the oven, but don’t really have the patience to wait for them to cook, I do a mix of microwave + oven.

I cooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 8 minutes, coated them with spray butter, salt, and pepper, then popped them into the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Perfectly cooked all the way through and nice and crispy on the outside.

I topped my sweet potato with a sprinkle of brown sugar, cinnamon, and some homemade honey butter (literally, just some softened butter + a squeeze of honey). It was incredible.

Breakfast

After a sweaty hot yoga session this morning (which, actually was only my usual 10lb. Slimdown Xtreme DVD – but we didn’t have the AC on this morning) it was time for some breakfast. I was really wishing I had made iced coffee this morning.

I toasted up two waffles and topped one with almond butter, one with peanut butter, and both with banana slices, chia seeds, and cinnamon.

Double the nut butter, double the fun yum.

Now I feel like I have a 100 different things to do in order to get ready before tonight’s wedding rehearsal, with the first stop over to mom and dad’s house so I can steam my bridesmaid dress…hopefully, perhaps, I can convince mom to give me a French manicure while I’m there??? Winking smile

Happy Friday!!

Comments

Your sweet potato looks wonderful!! Why do they always taste SO much better when cooked in the oven? They tend to be much more moist and just have a better taste in general. Like you, I am too lazy to wait 40 minutes for them to cook in the oven so I am going to try your micro+oven combo next time!!

Enjoy your weekend!!
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Seven Years Ago

2. Elizabeth says

Thanks for the pointers on how to cook a sweet potato. I am definitely trying the oven/microwave combination. I love looking at my college pictures. Fun times.

Yes, those cropped tie-front sweaters and gaucho pants were all the rage during my college days. Thankfully, all of those items have hit the trash, ha.

Thanks, for the microwave+oven tip for sweet potatoes. My boyfriend seriously requests sweet potatoes at least twice a week but I never want to wait for them to cook so I always deny his request. :)
    Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Italian Sausage, Asparagus, and Ricotta Pasta

I had one of those sweaters in college too! GAG! I use a potato pouch to cook my sweet potatoes. 5 minutes in the microwave and they are perfectly fluffy with crisp skin. My BF’s mom made me one for Christmas. They are awesome.
    Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Dinner at Pastiche

All of my friends are married now, so it’s been FOREVER since we’ve been to a wedding. Like, probably over a year. I keep hoping my brother’s friends will start getting married so we have weddings to go to in the future! My friends have all moved on to the baby stage, so I’ll be adding baby showers to my list of activies over the course of this next year.
    Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..(Pre) #FitStreak Friday

Have fun at the wedding! Is it weird that I’ve never been to one before? Well, I went to my aunts when I was like 3…but I don’t remember it now. Oh man, that sweet potato with those toppings sounds like a delicacy!
    Lisa recently posted..Stuck in Comfort

OMGosh! I swear you and I are on the same page lately….it must be the upstate NYer in us 😉 Anyhow, I was reading an article on how all runners should have sweet potatoes in their diet so I bought some today. It occurred to me after the fact that I have no idea how to cook a baked sweet potato. So thank you!
    Laura recently posted..A Black Cat and 80’s movies

Hot yoga = no ac , you crack me up! I had so many of those sweaters! Remember those lacy/crinkle tank tops we’d wear under those sweaters and everything else?? I had every color that’s ever existed it seemed like

Have a blast at all the wedding festivities! I just love when college friends get married – best weddings because it’s a mini reunion
    Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Love Potion Number 9 aka Thrive Tonic