Quite Nostalgic

by Courtney on July 13, 2012

Good morning, friends! Oh my gosh, I have such a busy and exciting weekend ahead of me – it’s Rachel’s wedding weekend! I’m so, so excited for so many reasons. One of my best friends is getting married, so I’m obviously ecstatic. You guys know that I also love a good party and can’t help but bust a move out on the dance floor.

But one of the things I’m really looking forward to the most is that Rachel’s wedding ceremony is going to be taking place at the sanctuary of the place we all first met…back at the good ‘ol College of Saint Rose.

A random college night, circa 2007 – did anyone else own about five of those cropped tie-front sweaters? Man, they were the “in” thing for a while…

I’m already an emotional wreck when it comes to weddings, but actually being back on campus, and right next to our old dorm rooms no less, is going to make me feel quite nostalgic. Ahhh, I’m so excited! I <3 weddings!

*****

Last Night’s Dinner

Knowing that Jay and I weren’t going to be around home too much this weekend for meals, I wanted to use up some produce and finish up some leftovers.

Corn on the cob, the rest of the Zucchini Casserole, and an amazingly delicious sweet potato.

This sweet potato was inspired by the yummy one I had at Outback earlier this week, and I’m happy to say that mine was even better! Since I love the taste of baked potatoes cooked in the oven, but don’t really have the patience to wait for them to cook, I do a mix of microwave + oven.

I cooked the sweet potatoes in the microwave for about 8 minutes, coated them with spray butter, salt, and pepper, then popped them into the oven at 375 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. Perfectly cooked all the way through and nice and crispy on the outside.

I topped my sweet potato with a sprinkle of brown sugar, cinnamon, and some homemade honey butter (literally, just some softened butter + a squeeze of honey). It was incredible.

Breakfast

After a sweaty hot yoga session this morning (which, actually was only my usual 10lb. Slimdown Xtreme DVD – but we didn’t have the AC on this morning) it was time for some breakfast. I was really wishing I had made iced coffee this morning.

I toasted up two waffles and topped one with almond butter, one with peanut butter, and both with banana slices, chia seeds, and cinnamon.

Double the nut butter, double the fun yum.

Now I feel like I have a 100 different things to do in order to get ready before tonight’s wedding rehearsal, with the first stop over to mom and dad’s house so I can steam my bridesmaid dress…hopefully, perhaps, I can convince mom to give me a French manicure while I’m there??? Winking smile

Happy Friday!!

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 13, 2012 at 9:22 am

Being in a wedding is such a big commitment but totally worth it. Have a blast! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Breakfast Food Friday, Week 6

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

My friend got married last weekend – SO fun! And even I busted a move on the dance floor…I’m sure it wasn’t very pretty. ;) Have fun!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

3 Michelle@PeachyPalate July 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yes I had one in every colour…what were we thinking! I now have a longing for a sweet potato. I always do the microwave and oven thing too; severe lack of patience! Have a great weekend!
Michelle@PeachyPalate recently posted..We can at least pretend…

4 Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because July 13, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m swooning at that sweet potato! Sounds delicious.
Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Hiking isn’t scary!

5 Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because July 13, 2012 at 9:34 am

Just realized how silly that sounds – “swooning at a sweet potato.” But it’s true! :D
Alexandria @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Hiking isn’t scary!

6 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 13, 2012 at 9:34 am

Your sweet potato looks wonderful!! Why do they always taste SO much better when cooked in the oven? They tend to be much more moist and just have a better taste in general. Like you, I am too lazy to wait 40 minutes for them to cook in the oven so I am going to try your micro+oven combo next time!!

Enjoy your weekend!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Seven Years Ago

7 Khushboo July 13, 2012 at 9:34 am

Wow that potato looks sooo good! Have an amazing weekend- weddings make me so teary too!
Khushboo recently posted..Weight watchin’ Wednesday

8 Elizabeth July 13, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the pointers on how to cook a sweet potato. I am definitely trying the oven/microwave combination. I love looking at my college pictures. Fun times.

9 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 13, 2012 at 9:38 am

I have two weddings this fall and I’m so excited! Your Mom can do french manicures?! Lucky!!!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Parmesan Yogurt Tilapia

10 Kailey July 13, 2012 at 9:42 am

Have fun at your best friends wedding!! That is so exciting to see her on her wedding day.
Oh i remember those tie sweaters – I think I had about 5. haha
Kailey recently posted..There Are No Words.

11 Katie July 13, 2012 at 9:46 am

Yellow Solo cups? Yellow?! I’m blown away….

12 Megan@ The Running Doc July 13, 2012 at 9:51 am

Yes, those cropped tie-front sweaters and gaucho pants were all the rage during my college days. Thankfully, all of those items have hit the trash, ha.

Thanks, for the microwave+oven tip for sweet potatoes. My boyfriend seriously requests sweet potatoes at least twice a week but I never want to wait for them to cook so I always deny his request. :)
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Italian Sausage, Asparagus, and Ricotta Pasta

13 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries July 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

I was in a wedding last weekend back on our college campus! It was SO cool! I absolutely loved it. Have fun!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Fitness Friday: My Take on Running

14 Renee July 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

Weddings are the best! have fun!
Renee recently posted..Working 9-5 on Friday the 13th

15 Yellow Haired Girl July 13, 2012 at 10:07 am

That sweet potato is drool worthy! Have fun this weekend … bust an additional move on my behalf :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..What’s On My Mind…

16 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

Thanks for the sweet potato cooking tip! I hate waiting around for it to cook. I like the idea of doing microwave and oven. I’m going to try that! :)

Weddings are so much fun! Have a great time! :) Mine is almost a month away!! Eeek!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..My Beginning Of July Favorites!…

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 13, 2012 at 10:14 am

my sister is starting college in a little over a month at the college i went to, and we were talking about it on the phone the other day about how excited she was, and she was asking me all these questions about it. it definitely made me nostalgic and miss my college days! good times!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Coconut Vanilla Almond Butter

18 Rachel July 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

Mmmm those waffles look so good! Have a great weekend :)
Rachel recently posted..Happy Friday the 13th!

19 Linz @ Itz Linz July 13, 2012 at 10:28 am

Ah have so much fun!! My best friend got married a couple of weeks ago!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Friday Facts

20 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie July 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

Such a delicious veggie-filled dinner! Have fun at the wedding!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Bastille Days and a 5K Recap

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2012 at 10:46 am

That’s so cool with your friend getting married at your old college!! Loyola has a beautiful chapel that a lot of alumni get married in. It would always be fun to walk to classes and see a wedding going on.

Enjoy your weekend!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Panna Cotta with Fresh Strawberries

22 Alysha @Shesontherun July 13, 2012 at 11:05 am

I had one of those sweaters in college too! GAG! I use a potato pouch to cook my sweet potatoes. 5 minutes in the microwave and they are perfectly fluffy with crisp skin. My BF’s mom made me one for Christmas. They are awesome.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Dinner at Pastiche

23 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

Have a fun wedding weekend!! That dinner looks amazing! that zucchini casserole just looks so good :)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..The CrossFit Games!!!!

24 Allison July 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

Aww you sound like you’re going to have the best week ever! Weddings are the bomb. You’re also extremely lucky that your mom can do nails; win.
Allison recently posted..I’m not a professional.

25 Annie July 13, 2012 at 11:56 am

that sweet potato looks so delicious I’m currently salivating!

26 Danica @ It's Progression July 13, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Have fun at the wedding this weekend!! Weddings are the best, especially after you’ve been married and realize all the work/prep that goes into them :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #29: Raspberry Banana Smoothie Recipe!

27 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

All of my friends are married now, so it’s been FOREVER since we’ve been to a wedding. Like, probably over a year. I keep hoping my brother’s friends will start getting married so we have weddings to go to in the future! My friends have all moved on to the baby stage, so I’ll be adding baby showers to my list of activies over the course of this next year.
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..(Pre) #FitStreak Friday

28 Emily @ I'd Rather Walk July 13, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Happy Friday! That sweet potato looks iiiiincredible.
Emily @ I’d Rather Walk recently posted..Sweat Sabbatical and Alec Baldwin

29 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third July 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

That sweet potato has me droolin’…. looks amazing! :) Have a blast at the wedding!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..White Sandy Beaches….

30 Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

hope you have fun at the wedding!!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Wine of the Week – Duet

31 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 13, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I love baked sweet potatoes in the oven, but never have the patience for it! I might have to give this mixed method a try (and that honey butter…sounds so tasty)!

32 Lisa July 13, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Have fun at the wedding! Is it weird that I’ve never been to one before? Well, I went to my aunts when I was like 3…but I don’t remember it now. Oh man, that sweet potato with those toppings sounds like a delicacy!
Lisa recently posted..Stuck in Comfort

33 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling July 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm

My sister’s wedding rehearsal is tonight as well!
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Thursday Things

34 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm

My wedding is tomorrow too! I’ve been crying all week, and I hope that a calm just washes over me tomorrow. Sometimes I hate being so emotional :)!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday Things

35 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

lol I DID in fact have a handful of those cropped sweaters.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 19

36 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl July 13, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Definitely checking out that zucchini casserole. Thanks!

And that’s the best way to serve up a sweet potato. YUM. Have a great time this weekend.
Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl recently posted..This Crossfit Home Workout Kicked my Butt!

37 AnnMarie July 13, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I would love to try Acai!

38 AnnMarie July 13, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Whoops, left that comment on the wrong post!
AnnMarie recently posted..Numbers are important: Day 16

39 Bek @ Crave July 13, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Those vitamin water drinks are so cool! Hmm another thing us Aussies miss out on!

40 Laura July 13, 2012 at 11:15 pm

OMGosh! I swear you and I are on the same page lately….it must be the upstate NYer in us ;-) Anyhow, I was reading an article on how all runners should have sweet potatoes in their diet so I bought some today. It occurred to me after the fact that I have no idea how to cook a baked sweet potato. So thank you!
Laura recently posted..A Black Cat and 80′s movies

41 Sam @ Fit for My Fork July 14, 2012 at 2:47 am

I love weddings too!! Have a great time!
Sam @ Fit for My Fork recently posted..Our New Home

42 Kim @ The Family Practice July 14, 2012 at 10:25 am

Hot yoga = no ac , you crack me up! I had so many of those sweaters! Remember those lacy/crinkle tank tops we’d wear under those sweaters and everything else?? I had every color that’s ever existed it seemed like

Have a blast at all the wedding festivities! I just love when college friends get married – best weddings because it’s a mini reunion
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Love Potion Number 9 aka Thrive Tonic