The Best Smoothie To Come Out Of My Kitchen

by Courtney on July 16, 2012

Busy and productive…that’s the name of the game over here today!

I spent the entire morning catching up on work from the weekend, including some freelance work, a few client training plans, some cleaning, and some bill-paying.

After a few hours, I took a much-needed break from the computer and squeezed in two other things that were on my agenda for the morning: a workout and some baking.

So, so excited about this stuff.

While my bread cooked, I headed down to the basement, completed about 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill, then came back up for some ab work. By the time I was finished, my bread only had about five minutes left. Perfect timing.

Once the bread was out of the oven, I showered up and put together a little lunch.

It’s a hot one out there today, so the thought of a cool, creamy smoothie sounded super appealing. I remembered that I had some frozen cherries in the freezer, so I used those to make what has to be one of the best smoothie bowls to ever come out of my kitchen…the Cherry Almond Smoothie Bowl.

To make your own Cherry Almond Smoothie (Bowl), combine the following in your blender:

• 1 frozen banana
  • ~1/2 cup frozen cherries
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • Enough water to get things moving (~1/4 cup)
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used SunWarrior)
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, optional

I topped my smoothie bowl with some Kashi Go Lean for a little added crunch and also snacked on a piece of my freshly baked Zucchini Oatmeal Bread.

I actually had two pieces, but hey, who’s counting? Winking smile

I got the recipe over the weekend from my friend Christina and it turned out even better than I expected. I’ll have to share with you guys soon!

And, since we’re on the topic, just in case you’ve missed some of my latest zucchini recipes, feel free to check out my latest post on the Fitness Magazine Fitterati Blog!

Time to get back to work…umm, this day is flyyyyying!

*FYI: I’ve been getting numerous emails from some of you saying that you’ve been experiencing some trouble when trying to view my latest posts. I had Ryan look into it today, and I think everything *should* be cleared up! So sorry if you were one of the ones having trouble!

1 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

That smoothie bowl looks delicious!!! I have been on a smoothie kick lately and am absolutely loving it!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..The Start of A New Thing…

2 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 16, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Right? This heat has me eating smoothies at least twice daily :)
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Hiking isn’t scary!

3 Khushboo July 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

That smoothie looks so refreshing! If you’re looking for a new combo, try 1 frozen banana with half cup frozen cantaloupe, 2/3 cup milk, couple tablespoons of Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and xanthan gum…totally hit the spot today :)
Khushboo recently posted..Chicken Avocado Tartine

4 Rachel July 16, 2012 at 2:33 pm

oo that sounds so good! I recently made a chocolate cherry smoothie and added some greens to get some veggies in haha it’s a nice change from blueberries (which I use a lot in smoothies lol)

that bread looks so good!
Rachel recently posted..Binging on Grapes

5 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 16, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Wow that bowl looks amazing! I’ve been contemplating cold soups for summer and this may be the perfect first step :)
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Birthday Boy!

6 Danica @ It's Progression July 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I’ve never thought of putting almond extract in a smoothie before…will have to try it!
Today is flying by for me too…I should probably stop reading blogs now and get crackin on the to-do list!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Calorie-Torching Legs and Core Workout

7 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm

That smoothie looks beautiful! I’ve never had a smoothie come out purple!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Chili Lime Salmon – Too Easy to be True

8 Mollie July 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I can’t wait for the new zucchini bread recipe!! We have a garden too-therefore a ridiculous amount of zucchini and yellow squash but I can’t complain!!

So I gave my mom the recipe you used for the banana zucchini muffins-we made it a bread and added choc chunks. OMGGGG it was heavenly. I loved every bite of it and reheated it in the micro so the chips got melty. Still thinking about how good it was haha..oh boy!

9 Michelle@Peachy Palate July 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm

That’s pretty much my favourite smoothie exactly! Love topping with flaked almonds, dried and fresh cherries, yum!!!Always add a bit of xanthan, love my smoothies super duper thick!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A Savoury Mango

10 Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 16, 2012 at 3:15 pm

cherry and almonds sounds like a delicious combo!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Monday trend

11 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 16, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Wow that smoothie sounds delicious and that zucchini bread looks so good! Keep the zucchini recipes coming :)

12 Candice July 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm

yum!! Can’t wait to try frozen cherries in a smoothie!
Candice recently posted..SVH & the twins are TWO!

13 Lisa July 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Yum, that smoothie sounds like an awesome lunch option for a hot day. You are just all about the zucchini bread lately. Looks delicious! I’m with you, this day is totally flying by
Lisa recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday

14 Lydia July 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Um! The smoothie bowl looks absolutely amazing! I will be trying that this week, thanks for the recipe!

15 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 16, 2012 at 4:35 pm

That smoothie sounds great! Definitely going to try it soon!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Happy Birthday Dad!

16 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 16, 2012 at 4:53 pm

The smoothie looks delicious but I am all about the oatmeal zucchini bread! That looks soooo good and hope you will share the recipe soon!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..From A to Z

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm

That zucchini bread looks amazing!!!!! I want a piece!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Herb-crusted Pork Chops

18 Ali Madigan July 16, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Recipe please for the bread! I have tried the zucchini chocolate chip bread, the zucchini banana bread and need a new recipe to try this week. I also have an abundance of zucchini :)

19 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness July 16, 2012 at 5:40 pm

It has been far too long since I had a smoothie bowl. Perfect summer treat. I used to love this smoothie shop near my college and they probably made a living out of me purchasing their almond chai bowl…glad I could help them out!

20 Carissa July 16, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I love using cherries in my smoothies! Great for anti-inflammatory properties. I need to make some zucchini bread ASAP when I get back!

21 Linz @ Itz Linz July 16, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’ve totally been loving cherries lately, so this smoothie bowl sounds so good!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Another Marvelous Green Giveaway

22 Annie @ What's Annie Making? July 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Oh girl! That smoothie bowl looks awesome!!!! And zucchini oatmeal bread? What a perfect breakfast :)
Annie @ What’s Annie Making? recently posted..Double Chocolate Waffles for a Monday

23 Sarah July 16, 2012 at 8:27 pm

i make a smoothie very similar to that ALL THE TIME!!! Frozen cherries are my favorite smoothie fruit! mmmmmmmm
Sarah recently posted..Weekend Wrap up

24 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter July 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Smoothies looks yummy! I love to use cherries in my smoothies. :) Love that bread, makes me want to go make some!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Feeling Good

25 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm

That looks delicious! I love how it turned out purple, too – extra fun!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Lunch for Breakfast and Breakfast for Lunch

26 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family July 16, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I have been eating zucchini in everything lately! Gotta get it while its good and fresh!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..A Very Zucchini Weekend

27 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 16, 2012 at 10:05 pm

whoa that bread looks uber moist! no one’s counting so eat on ;)
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..I Got Some Skills Hey Hey Hey

28 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 17, 2012 at 8:07 am

That zucchini bread looks amazing!!! :)

29 Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures July 17, 2012 at 11:23 am

I make smoothie bowls for breakfast all the time and my recipe is almost identical to yours! They are always so delicious, and make a more substantial meal than just a smoothie alone would. :)
Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures recently posted..Bioluminescent Kayaking Tour

30 jodie July 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Is it possible to get the recipe for the bread? Did I miss it? I am seriously drooling. Thanks
jodie recently posted..Athleta: Power to the She

31 Courtney July 17, 2012 at 1:30 pm

About to post it right now! :)

32 Bek @ Crave July 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

A smoothie bowl aye? I’ve never tried that one. I’ll have to give it a go sometime- do you find it filling? Does it sustain you for long?
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Improve your Running Stride

33 Courtney July 18, 2012 at 10:33 am

As long as I add some protein powder, definitely! :)

34 green smoothie recipes July 13, 2013 at 5:42 am

This is a really nice way to get a lift after a walk or exercise, my partner whipped up a couple after our sunday ride and we both enjoyed them plus this smoothie is healthy, what more can you ask :)
green smoothie recipes recently posted..Pink Smoothie With Watermelon, Strawberries and Cherries