Are My Plants Done?

by Courtney on July 17, 2012

A little yoga to kick start my Tuesday morning? Don’t mind if I do!

I’m starting to get a little bored with the yoga DVD’s that I already own, so I decided to flip on the Sportskool Exercise channel and see if they had anything to offer. Much to my surprise, they actually had about a dozen different yoga videos to choose from – score!

The first one I attempted was a Vinyasa Flow video, but I only lasted about five minutes before calling it quits. Borrrrring. My next video, however, called “Metal Yoga,” was anything but. The instructor used wrist and ankle weights, but since I don’t own any of those, I just went without. Honestly though, I don’t know if I would have been able to do it with the weights because this video was challenging!

The only downside to my yoga practice today (look at me sounding all yoga-like) was some lingering shoulder pain I was experiencing. Not quite sure what’s up with that. Either way, still a great yoga session.

Last Night’s Dinner

Rewind a bit to last night’s dinner. Talk about deeeeeelish.

I marinated some chicken earlier in the day, so Jay cooked that up on the grill while I took care of the rest of dinner. On Sunday, Jay ended up making a last-minute homemade marinara sauce, and since there was some leftover, I wanted to pair it the chicken.

So I cooked up some brown rice, topped it with the chicken (it’s under there, I swear), marinated artichoke hearts, the marinara sauce, a little mozzarella cheese, a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette, and some fresh basil…from the garden. Winking smile

Jay said it reminded him a lot of a healthier chicken parm, which I could see a little, but it was just overall amazing.

On the side, we had some sautéed zucchini and yellow squash since, ya know, we have quite a bunch of it.

But speaking of which…I noticed that my plants are pretty much empty right now. There are some flowers, but no zucchini or squash…this doesn’t mean my plants are done, does it?? Do they come in phases? I’ll be so disappointed if my zucchini crop is done…I have more baking to do!

Breakfast

After getting my yoga on this morning, my body temp was up there, so I needed something cold to cool me down. Cereal combo + iced coffee is where it’s at.

I even made extra…juuuust in case I want another cup later on. Winking smile

Today’s cereal combo included:

I loaded the bowl up with berries so this thing was huuuuge.

The Special K cereal by the way? Awesome. x100

Random Question for the Morning (kind of like when we did the Would You Rathers!):

Who would you most like to be stuck in an elevator with?

1 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

Your chicken dinner looks delicious! It does look like a version of healthy chicken parm. I love that! :)

I would like to be stuck in an elevator with Michael Buble! I love his voice and he isn’t that bad to look at either ;)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..One Month Until Our Wedding!…

2 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

I’ve been eating zucchini and summer squash like it’s my job! I just love it during the summer! The first name that popped into my head is Taylor Swift. Yeah, I’m a 13 year old – but I liked her way before she was famous!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Sweet and Spicy Chili Lime Salmon – Too Easy to be True

3 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio July 17, 2012 at 9:17 am

My husband hands down. He’d calm me down, cheer me up and provide plenty of entertainment!

4 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Aw, me too! With my own husband, that is :)
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Mindless Eating – Brian Wansink

5 Ari July 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

When you make your cereal bowl, how much of each do you put in? Obsessed with your blog by the way! :)

6 Courtney July 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

Thanks, Ari! Today I did about 2/3 cup each.

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

My husband – we don’t have enough time together during the week! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Swiss Chard Stuffed Shells

8 Julia July 17, 2012 at 9:26 am

Christian Grey. He could probably entertain ya for awhile ;-)

9 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl July 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

Haha Good one Julia! I was going to say Channing Tatum for entertainment purposes but now you have me thinking.. :)
Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..Why did the Turkeys cross the Railroad Tracks..

10 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 17, 2012 at 9:27 am

(1) Your breakfast bowl has my mouth watering

(2) John Stamos
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Vegetarian Philly Cheesestake

11 Khushboo July 17, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oprah- I would just make her talk the whole time…or Ellen. If I’m stuck in an elevator, at least I’ll be laughing!
Khushboo recently posted..Chicken Avocado Tartine

12 Aundra Weissert @ Fit for Life July 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Squash plants do come in phases! Just keep watering, keep checking for pests (esp. the vine borer), and keep harvesting! The plant can produce well until the first frost if you keep up with it.
Aundra Weissert @ Fit for Life recently posted..Weekend Getaway in VA

13 Nicole July 17, 2012 at 9:32 am

Funny you mention the elevator thing! I was at a family wedding last weekend in Ohio and a crazy storm passed through about an hour before the wedding. My cousin was on his way down to take bridal party photos and got stuck in the 100+ degree hotel elevator for about an hour and a half until the firemen came and helped him crawl out. He completely missed the bridal party photos and would have missed the wedding if it weren’t for the fact that it started late. The best part of the story though – he was stuck in the elevator with another random guy who had a cooler full of cold beer. Needless to say, they made the best use of their time together :)

14 Haley July 17, 2012 at 9:33 am

James Marsden! From 27 Dresses!? He can entertain me with Benny and the Jets while we’re in the elevator (;

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

Have you heard of YogaDownload.com? They have some great yoga podcasts + PDF pose guides. They have free 20 minute sessions or pretty cheap 30-60 minute sessions. I have several that I switch between and it helps keep me from ever getting too bored with any of them. And I always have a session for the amount of time I want or have!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..East Coast Revival // NYC

16 Karleen curran July 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

Loving your yoganess still! I myself did a trail run and then dragged my sore butt to the gym for a much needed yoga class. It’s amazing how it takes care of a lot of the soreness I would have felt this morning from my run if I hadn’t done the class! I need to look into the yoga classes on my tv as well.

Ummm I would rather be stuck in an elevator with Channing Tatum….inappropriate?? I would need something pretty to look at:)

17 Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona July 17, 2012 at 9:37 am

With most veggies if you pick them a day or two before they’re ripe, they’ll keep producing. However, if you wait til they’re completely ripe to harvest, they’ll stop growing more. Always make sure to pick them a little earlier than you should!
Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona recently posted..Fireworks

18 Jenna@Redheadrunningwild July 17, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh man that chicken dinner looks sooo good!! Also I’m not an experienced gardner but when we planted our own peppers and tomatoes and so on they definitely came in phases. Also with all this heat going on crops are going a little funky so I would’t worry! Just keep taking care of them and hopefully you’ll see more soon!!
Jenna@Redheadrunningwild recently posted..Monday Blues and Lululemon Review

19 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets July 17, 2012 at 9:49 am

Either some fellow healthy living bloggers or my boyfriend!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Sunday Planning + Weekly Challenge

20 allison July 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

channing tatum. please :-)

21 Yaara Leve July 17, 2012 at 9:54 am

Ok–that cheesy-veggie dish looks soooo good! I’m on a major yellow squash and zucchini kick too. I wish though I had my own garden to grow them. That’s great that you’re able to do that. Ok–and–I’ve definitely fantasizes
About this question–hands down–Jake
Gyllenhaal–(if you dont know him google him–really hot
Actor) or Sam Jaeger–( he’s the guy who is married to Julie on the show “parenthood”-)

22 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 17, 2012 at 10:08 am

that dinner looks fantastic! i don’t know if you’ve already checked them out, but http://www.doyogawithme.com has some good yoga videos too. i forgot about the “would you rather” questions you used to ask – they were always so fun! if i had to be stuck in an elevator with someone, i’d have to go with my husband. he makes light of every situation, makes me laugh, and is my best friend!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Then Vs. Now

23 Danica @ It's Progression July 17, 2012 at 10:14 am

-That chicken looks great! I have fish to use right now and I’m thinking those same toppings would go well with tilapia maybe?
-umm can I just be stuck in the elevator alone with my husband?? haha
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Rehearsal and Rehearsal Dinner Recap

24 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 17, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh my goodness, when my husband and I were in college and very recently engaged, we got stuck in our dorm elevator during finals week. It was like 9:00 at night and we had been studying in the hall of my floor. SOMEONE decided he wanted to go downstairs and get a pop from the vending machine. Instead of just walking the 3 flights of stairs, he insisted we take the elevator. SOMEONE also insisted he do the “jump between floors” thing, and got us stuck between floors 1-2! We were stuck for an hour and the fire department and campus security had to get us out. It was SO embarrasing, but we laugh about it now!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Not Your Typical Breakfast

25 Rachel July 17, 2012 at 10:32 am

Probably my sister.. we wouldn’t annoy each other haha love your cereal bowl… it looks so good :)
Rachel recently posted..The Ugly Harry Potter

26 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 17, 2012 at 10:39 am

I could be the good wife and say my husband but since I have seen him almost every day for the last 17 years I am going with someone else this time ;-)!

For picking their brain and because we are secretly best friends(ha!!), Bethenny Frankel.
If I were choosing a cutie, Channing Tatum would be a perfect choice!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Find The Pretty

27 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 17, 2012 at 10:53 am

oh my gosh what a delicious looking dinner! i love all the veggies:)
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Fennel & Asparagus Soup and Sunshine Award!

28 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 17, 2012 at 10:55 am

That dinner looks amazing! Anything topped with cheese is fabulous :)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..All about Hydration!

29 Yellow Haired Girl July 17, 2012 at 10:56 am

My best friend. We’d just giggle. And be able to catch up … because it seems like theres always more to say!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Gentle Reminder

30 Shannon July 17, 2012 at 11:06 am

Not sure about your plants- I’m sure more will grow soon!

I’d like to be stuck in an elevator with either Beyonce, Carrie Underwood (to provide me with some music and I could finally meet them!) or Rachel McAdams (one of my favorite actresses).

31 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 17, 2012 at 11:09 am

If you are still getting blooms, I think that your plant can still produce some zucchini. Make sure it has enough nutrients to produce though- I’d probably fertilize or something…
I’d be okay with being stuck with the husband, my sister, my best friend- any of those people would be great! ….. A hot actor wouldn’t be bad either ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Week 31, 32, & 33

32 Mary @Mary Had a Little Blog July 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

My mom and I love making healthy chicken parm! We just cook it in the oven covered in marinara and sprinkle some low fat cheese on top. You don’t even miss the thick breading! I would beyond love to be stuck in an elevator with Chad Michael Murray :)
Mary @Mary Had a Little Blog recently posted..Grocery Store Bliss and Weekend Fun!

33 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige July 17, 2012 at 11:33 am

Who has ankle and wrist weights anymore?! hehe
And I’m definitely going to be drinking a second cup of (iced) coffee this morning! Falling asleep at the computer today…
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Personal Trainers Required to Become Licensed?

34 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 17, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’m jealous of all of your garden goods! Maybe next year. ;)
If I were trapped in an elevator, I would love for my mom to be with me. We always have fun together and hopefully that would make the time go by quickly.
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Super Simple Summer Quiche and a Review

35 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson July 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

We just bought a bunch of cereal yesterday because it was on sale and Special K was in the mix. Can’t wait to try it!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..I’m Going To Bootcamp!

36 Angela Cerchio July 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Part of me says my boyfriend, because he would keep me calm, but part of me says an electrician who can fix it and get me out sooner. :)
Angela Cerchio recently posted..You Couldn’t Miss Me

37 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 17, 2012 at 12:04 pm

That dinner looks absolutely delicious!! It’s making me hungry!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Herb-crusted Pork Chops

38 Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm

that does look like a healthy chicken parm…looks good!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..first (& experimental) attempt at overnight oats

39 Allison July 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Ellen Degeneres. Hours of entertainment, I’m sure!
Allison recently posted..Meditation, day one. Check!

40 Molly Ritterbeck July 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Your veggies from last night look so delish!
I would love to be stuck in the elevator with Rich Froning….yummy!
Molly Ritterbeck recently posted..The Weekly Chase – Week 2

41 Alysha @Shesontherun July 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm

John Mayer!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Guest post: Eat. Host. Run. Style.

42 Julie July 17, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Ahh I totally do that with new yoga videos. Just yesterday I tried some 15-min yoga ab thing and turned it off after the first three exercises. But when you find the good ones it’s totally worth it!
Julie recently posted..I Got the Call

43 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

hmmm…good question.

About 5% wants to say someone intellectual, like Einstein or Hawking, so I can pick their brain.

About 5% wants to say something political, like Canadian PM Stephen Harper so I can ask him what the hell he’s doing with my country.

The other 90% wants Joe Manganiello (True Blood/Magic Mike) or Jason Mamoa (Game of Thrones)….for obvious reasons. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Peanut Butter Awesome

44 Kaitlyn July 17, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Definately my cousin, emily. everything we do together is crazy, weird, and totally fun. Thinking of it, now I’d actually want to get stuck in an elevator with her..it’d make a great story!

45 Melanie July 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I have done the Sportskool Metal Yoga as well and completely agree that it is very challenging! I didn’t have weights either but like you said, I don’t think I could have done it with them. That one definitely gets me sweatin’!
Melanie recently posted..Na Cho Average Nachos

46 Sarah July 17, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Cereal combos are the way to go! Esp in the summer :)
Sarah recently posted..Back on track

47 Stephanie B July 18, 2012 at 9:39 am

My dad has grown three huge zucchinis which we are planning to freeze soon so we can use it in the winter. He also grew some yellow squash too! I will have to make this dinner sometime this week because it looks super tasty. I also loved all you zucchini recipes from earlier. I made the baked zucchini casserole last week and it was scrumptious :) Love your blog!!

48 Joy July 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Your zucchini isn’t done it’s “taking a breather” as my grandfather uses to say!

And in an elevator I’m lame – my husband and dog
Joy recently posted..Babysitting means zucchini, right?