The Ugly Rooster

by Courtney on July 21, 2012

Well, it has certainly been a nice little Saturday so far over here…and the day is barely halfway through. Love that!

Jay and I were up and out bright and early this morning to go and meet with somebody for some upcoming home renovations. I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but we’re finally in the market to buy new siding for the house and I am downright giddy about it.

Ever since our big kitchen remodel about a year and a half ago, the back of our house has been missing a huge chunk of siding, thanks to the replacement of a sliding glass door. It’s looked downright hideous with its patch of construction tarp around it (I usually do a good job of hiding it from photos, but you can sort of see it here) so I am absolutely thrilled to get it replaced…hopefully next month!

After meeting with the siding guy, we decided to take advantage of the beautiful morning and headed down to check out the Farmers Market.

It had only been open for about a half hour, but the place was already hustlin’ and bustlin’ with people.

We didn’t end up buying much of anything besides a loaf of bread (which will probably result in some paninis sometime soon) but we did enjoy just walking around and scoping out the different vendors.

(And if you scope out that photo above, you can also see the tip of a certain someone’s nose…ahem, jay…who decided to try to photobomb my pic). Winking smile

Once we finished walking the market, we turned and headed down along the river to see how all of the new construction(?) is going. They’ve been working on sprucing up the waterfront area for a while now, and this was my first time seeing it up close.

IMG_3856Feeling a little goofy this morning

It definitely looks like there’s going to be a spot for some outdoor concerts, which made me super excited.

Sporting my colorful Naturalizer wedges today. Smile

By the time we left the market, both of us were pretty starving (hellooo…half a banana before leaving the house definitely does not do much for my appetite) so we decided to hit up a new-to-us breakfast spot that was just a short drive away.

Back when I was still teaching, I had a few co-workers who used to rave about a place called The Ugly Rooster – saying what great breakfast they had – and I’ve been meaning to try it out ever since. Well, props to Jay for remembering it this morning!

We got seated right away and both started out with some coffee and water. Surprisingly enough, the water was sounding better than coffee. I’ve been so thirsty today.

For breakfast, Jay ordered an omelet, which came with toast and home fries that were absolutely delicious. I’m honestly not a huge home fries person, but I’d eat those things any day.

They rocked.

I, on the other hand, was having a major craving for pancakes.

I ordered two pancakes, topped with bananas, and a scrambled egg on the side.

Those pancakes were soooooo good. Light, fluffy, and just the slightest hint of sweetness to them.

Everything at The Ugly Rooster was delicious…we will definitely be back!

Later this afternoon, we’re headed back out again to meet up with our pals Joe and Kate for an afternoon movie and, well, who knows what else!? I guess we’ll just have to see where the day takes us. Smile

1 Rachel July 21, 2012 at 1:07 pm

pancakes look yummy :) I’ve never been a home fries girl either lol I think it’s because they looked like hair to me lol as gross as that is lol
Rachel recently posted..Marry me Aaron?

2 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Love diner pancakes!

Kind of love the name of that restaurant too…Ugly Rooster? I’d be interested in knowing the story behind that, lol.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Essentials.

3 Laura July 21, 2012 at 1:54 pm

The next time I venture down from Saratoga to Albany I will have to check the place out!
Laura recently posted..No such thing as fun size and I hate chicken

4 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Sounds like the perfect Saturday! I love finding new breakfast places!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Healthy Pins

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm

YUM! I love going out for breakfast. My go-to is almost always french toast, but I do like to change it up with pancakes on occasion. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Sometimes

6 Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I haven’t had pancakes in forever. Sounds so good right now though!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..establishing my goals

7 Khushboo July 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

As I much as I love homemade pancakes, nothing beats having pancakes made for you!
Khushboo recently posted..Freestylin’

8 Lisa July 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

The pancakes and fries look divine! Pancakes are always the fluffiest when eaten out. That place looks like such a cute little diner.
I always love going to the Farmer’s Market, but usually won’t buy anything when it gets super busy…I just find it too overwhelming to even look for things when that happens.
Have a great Saturday!
Lisa recently posted..Changing Fit

9 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Looks like such a great breakfast!!! I love going out for breakfast! Best meal of the day :)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Weekly Wrap Up!

10 amy July 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This may sound weird but I hate restaurant pancakes, I have tried so many times to like them and I just cannot! The only way I can describe it is that they are more spongy? IDK! Regardless, those home fries look awesome, never met a hashbrown I don’t like!!
amy recently posted..Trusting your body

11 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter July 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm

What a fun day! The pancakes look soooo good! :)

12 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 21, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Although it’s only 1/2 way through- you’ve got a great start to the day! Oh the fun…… and deliciousness!
Happy Saturday!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Exercise During Pregnancy …. it does a body good {part I}

13 Lydia July 21, 2012 at 6:30 pm

What a lovely morning! Those home fries look amazing!!
Lydia recently posted..Five Day Slim Down Winner

14 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony July 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Jay’s plate may be the biggest portion I’ve ever seen, and your pancakes look delicious!
We just saw Ted last night, and then the Dark Knight Rises this afternoon. Since we NEVER go to the movies, this was a big weekend for us. Hope you had a great time!
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..200 + 200 + 250 = a TJ GIVEAWAY!

15 Lauren July 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I have a pancake obsession and those look so yummy! I also wanted to add (if I still can) that your husband’s Twitter should be ‘therealeffenjay’. Macho and comical…can’t beat that!

16 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm

looks like a delicious breakfast! and i love street fairs! so fun!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Sweet and Tangy Lettuce Wraps & Gazpacho! GF, V, BED, SCD!

17 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Farmers markets are the bomb for just browsing around and getting samples! Oh yeah, and buying stuff too :P Ugly Rooster…that’s a really genius and catchy name! I likey.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Working on My Passions

18 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog July 21, 2012 at 11:42 pm

I wish we had big farmers markets like that around here. We used to have a small one near buy, but when I say small, I mean like size of a bedroom small hahah.
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Back from the Dead

19 Sam July 23, 2012 at 12:36 am

Those pancakes look awesome! Sometimes simple pancakes sounds better than a big breakfast!
<3 Sam
Sam recently posted..Couch To 5K

20 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Courtney, have you ever considered posting any “tips” that you learned from when you did the kitchen remodel? I’m soon to be in the market of doing my own and I would love to hear any tips/ tricks that you have.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..C25K Week 1 Recap!

21 Courtney July 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hey Lauren! No, I never really did a tips post…because I don’t really have any! Haha…my husband was a lifesaver in the whole process, and he was able to do a lot of the work himself. I just kind of tried to stay out of the way ;)