The Roolz

by Courtney on July 22, 2012

And the fun just kept on comin’!

After a busy and fun-filled morning yesterday, we met up with our friends Joe & Kate later in the afternoon to catch an afternoon showing of The Dark Night Rises. I honestly didn’t love the movie as much as I was hoping (I’ve seen all of them…Batman was a big deal in my house growing up, thanks to my brother), however…the ending was fantaaaaaastic!

By the time our movie got out (it was almost a three hour movie?!) we were all pretty hungry, so we headed to snag a spot on the patio at The Van Dyke in downtown Schenectady.

Double date buddies!

Jay and I don’t really get out to Schenectady all that much (well, besides here), so we were excited to try out a new spot. As soon as we sat down, we also discovered a fun little tid bit of information…the Van Dyck has their own brewery on the premises!

I started checking over the list of beers on tap, but I was having the toughest time trying to decide what the heck I wanted. I asked the waitress, on a whim, if they happened to offer beer samplers (kind of like the fun one I had in Boulder), and it turns out that they did. Score!

Jay and I decided to share a beer sampler, and we were able to choose six different beers to try. I ended up choosing the first three on the menu – two ales and a hefeweizen – and Jay chose the other three, including a lager, an ale, and an IPA.

I tried all six of them, but I most definitely liked the three that I initially chose the best. The hefeweizen actually made me think of fall (note to self!), but the other two were great. The Black Bear Blonde Ale (pictured below on the left) was definitely my favorite of them all.

So not only did The Van Dyke have a fun beer menu…they also had a killer menu.

While the four of us were working on figuring out our dinner choices, we decided to order the tortilla dip trio to share amongst the table…a trio of Buffalo Chicken, Spinach Artichoke and Seafood Dip, served with tortilla chips.

Ummm…WOW. All three dips were delicious, as well as the chips. I tried my best to go easy on them, knowing I still had a dinner headed my way, and it’s probably a good thing that they were farthest away from me on the table. Winking smile

For dinner, I decided to order the Bourbon Chicken Panini, made with a bourbon chicken breast, bacon, apple slices, cheddar, and maple mayo on Italian bread.

At first, I wasn’t expecting sliced chicken, but the sandwich was incredible. So many different flavors rolled in to one! It was a pretty big sandwich, I ended up getting half of it wrapped up…which I’m sure Jay will enjoy for lunch later today.

After dinner, the four of us ended up stopping for some ice cream (hmm, not sure whose idea that was?!?) and after that, headed back to Joe & Kate’s house for a game night.

We ended up playing Quelf…has anyone else ever played this game before? Oh man…it’s downright funny.

Basically, there’s lots of animation (at one point, I had to act out a scene of me as a cowboy riding an ostrich and shouting about there being a beached whale nearby), some quiz cards, and some rules (err, “roolz”) cards. This was one of my “roolz” for the evening…

Needless to say, the evening was hilarious (Kate just finished spinning…Jay is writing a four line poem).

Aaaaand the boys even had to play Patty Cake. Winking smile

I’ve now decided that I definitely need to reinstate game night amongst our friends. They’re always such a good time!

*****

This morning, I allowed myself to sleep in for a bit before getting up, checking out the garden (the zucchinis are making a comeback!) and then making some breakfast…which was really a no-brainer, thanks to yesterday’s purchase of fresh-baked bread at the Farmers Market.

I toasted up a couple slices of bread and topped them with some almond and peanut butter.

And for some color, and extra nutrients, added in a small bowl of berries.

Now this morning, I’ve got a few training plans to work on before heading out to meet up with some of my favorite girls for lunch (I have a feeling after this weekend, I’ll really going to be looking forward to some more meals at home).

How’s everyone’s weekend going?? Smile

1 Khushboo July 22, 2012 at 10:28 am

haha that game looks like a riot- love how in the zone Jay looks drafting that poem!
Khushboo recently posted..Freestylin’

2 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 22, 2012 at 10:30 am

I love sampling beer! I don’t drink beer often but I enjoy trying new tastes out.
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Gluten Free Vegetarian Lasagna

3 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 22, 2012 at 10:31 am

Those 3 dips look & sound delicious!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Healthy Pins

4 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio July 22, 2012 at 10:48 am

Quelf is my family’s favorite game!!
Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio recently posted..Wedding Party Gifts

5 Linz @ Itz Linz July 22, 2012 at 11:00 am

My weekend is very relaxing so far… In fact, I’m headed for the pool right now! :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..The Minis

6 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers July 22, 2012 at 11:21 am

What a fun weekend!! The chicken sandwich looks delish, I would of ate the whole thing! :)
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Weekly Recap

7 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m looking forward to seeing Batman soon, disappointing to hear it wasn’t the best. I loved the last one.
You sound like me with the ice cream. I’m always up for it, no matter how full I get from my meal.
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Powermeal of the Day

8 Katelyn July 22, 2012 at 11:57 am

I saw this on Instagram and thought I would die. You can’t beat samplers on tap. Or brew food. YUM.

9 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony July 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm

We went on a double to see Batman too yesterday! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the ending! What a fabulous Saturday you had. :)
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Out of the Ordinary

10 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 22, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Looks like a great night out!!! So fun!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Powermeal a Week!!!

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

That game sounds like the perfect evening with good friends- and lots of laughter!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Exercise During Pregnancy …. it does a body good {part I}

12 amy July 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm

looks like a fun night, missed the picture of the best part of dinner tho…ice cream!!
amy recently posted..Trusting your body

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

My weekend’s going great – a BBQ and a night barhopping yesterday, and today I’m going to a Music and Art festival.

Oh goodness, BBQ chicken dip. I am actually uncontrollable around that stuff, I love it so much.

That game sounds like a lot of fun, especially if you have a decent size crowd (like 4-6 people).
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Livefit – The Slightly Hungover Edition.

14 Lydia July 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Those are some LARGE beer samples wow! And maple mayo?? YUM! Looks like a really fun game!! I just may have to check it out!
Lydia recently posted..Five Day Slim Down Winner

15 Melissa July 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

That food looks yummy and my hubby would love the beer sampler. I’m going home next weekend…perhaps well try that place out, (my parents live in Glenville so not too far at all..my mom actually works in good ole Schenectady lol). Glad you’re having a great weekend! :)
Melissa recently posted..Redemption

16 Danyelle Franciosa July 23, 2012 at 1:27 am

It looks like you had a great time with them.!
I am thinking of setting up a date with my closest friends by next week .
I miss them so much too!
Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..worth reading

17 Miz July 23, 2012 at 6:32 am

batman TONIGHT!!
:-)
Miz recently posted..Teva Fuse-Ion shoes. (Ren Man review)

18 Ksenija July 23, 2012 at 7:14 am

Not a big beer fan, but I would definitely give the Black Bear Blonde Ale a try ;) sounds really fun! And you have zukes in your garden … damn, I have to work with a few plant pots in my tiny kitchen and can’t wait for my little peppers to show up.

19 Bek @ Crave July 23, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’m half-watching the Dark Knight now actually, so I can be updated and informed for the new one out haha. Your double date looks fun- haha good old fashioned board game fun; we really need to dust some off soon too. I am the monopoly queen! Oh and that card game spoons is the most fun!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..White chocolate, cranberry & oatmeal cookies

20 Angelyn July 24, 2012 at 1:14 am

I played Quelf one time with my cousins, aunts, uncles & siblings and it was one of the most entertaining nights of my life! That games is seriously funny :)