Sampled My Way Through

by Courtney on July 23, 2012

It’s been a busy Monday morning and afternoon, thanks to my having to catch up on everything I didn’t get done over the weekend. Hey, it was worth it!

My first stop of the day: Sephora.

I could spend hours in that store, browsing, sampling, and just having a ball. But since I had other things on the agenda this morning, I put my blinders on, walked in and grabbed the two items I needed: concealer (details here) and bronzer (details here).

I’m trying really hard to cut back on the expensive makeup, but those are just two items I can’t give up…well, not yet at least. Winking smile

After Sephora, I had to take care of the grocery shopping for the week…FYI: going on a Monday at noon apparently is not a smart idea if you’re looking for small crowds. Good grief!

On the way there, I snacked on a Luna bar that I found stashed in the back of my cabinet before heading out the door earlier.

I knew I’d wind up getting hungry while out, and grocery shopping + a grumbling tummy = baaaad news for the wallet.

As it turns out, I probably didn’t even needed the bar because, much to my surprise, the store was filled with a ton of samples. So I proceeded to sample my way through practically the entire produce/deli/bakery department with lots of good bites to eat.

Even better? Free iced coffee!

They had a woman making free iced coffees from a Keurig machine, and oh man did it hit the spot. I was actually *this* close to stopping at DD’s to get one before going, but I ultimately decided to just save the couple bucks…and hey, my frugal move paid off. Winking smile

(*For the locals – today was my first time checking out the new Shop Rite store – in Albany. I liked it, but didn’t love it…what do you guys think?)

By the time I got home, I had pretty much ruined most my appetite for lunch but still needed something, so I put together a plate of baby carrots + a wedge of The Laughing Cow veggie cream cheese and paired them with a mango Chobani.

This afternoon, I have some training programs to put together for a couple of clients, but I’m also planning on putting together a new workout for all of you. It’s been quite a while since I gave you guys something new (which is partially a long story that I’ll get to soon enough), so let me know…what you want?!?

Cardio? Upper body? Lower body? Some plyometrics? Gimme some ideas! Winking smile

1 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident July 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I love it when it’s sample day at the grocery store! It tends to make me buy things I didn’t plan on buying though ;) Looking forward to the new workout!

2 Khushboo July 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Free iced coffee?? Pays (pun intended) to be frugal ;)! I love your treadmill woekouts so my vote goes there…especially since I’m in a treadmill/running funk!
Khushboo recently posted..D is for Deficiency

3 Rachel July 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

love Sephora! We recently got an Ulta by me, that’s also fun :) I had Chobani for lunch too! (vanilla lol)… I called it the “I don’t feel like making an actual lunch” lunch lol Just threw a bunch of fruit in my lunch box haha
Rachel recently posted..Zombie

4 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Free iced coffee! What a store!

I have a really hard time building strength in my upper-body, so I would love to see some of those workouts.
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Tips for Travelling

5 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 23, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I live an hour away from the nearest Sephora which is probably a very good thing for my bank account!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Sunday Evening Photography

6 Jen (@ jen is green) July 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Ah, Shop Rite! I really like the store, their food selection and the prices, but I don’t like that is it is always super crowded and that is SO annoying. I’ve been avoiding it lately. I’m probably going to end up shopping at the new one in Slingerlands anyway, since it’s probably the same distance away from me now.
PS…less than TWO weeks until we get our TJs……
Jen (@ jen is green) recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend

7 Courtney July 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm

CAN NOT WAIT!!!

8 Jen (@ jen is green) July 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Are you going opening day? I’m thinking of taking the morning off work to brave the crowds…haha
Jen (@ jen is green) recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend

9 Courtney July 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Hahaha, I just might!! :)

10 Julie July 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I am still trying to find the ideal time to hit the grocery store. I’ve heard that before 11 am is best, but it’s just never the first thing on my to do list!
Julie recently posted..A Wedding and a Stomachache

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Heck to the yes for free iced coffee! Makes the world a brighter place for sure! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Exercise During Pregnancy …. it does a body good {part I}

12 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 23, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Can’t wait to see what you come up with for a workout! I could spend all day in Sephora too! It’s kind of a problem!

13 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige July 23, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I agree – I try to keep my makeup stash drugstore-friendly, but I can’t give up my LM mineral powder, and Origins eyeliner and concealor. Still looking, though!
And score for free coffeeeee!

14 Kristin July 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I would love a new treadmill workout or anything for the lower body…gotta work those glutes and legs!!!

15 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm

free iced coffee!? right on!!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Carrot Cake Pancakes! GF, V, BED, SCD!

16 Michelle@Peachy Palate July 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Some plyometrics for a change! A whole free iced coffee…that was a major win…totally worth the crowds I bet!

17 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I loved making iced coffee from my Keurig!! Actually, I love it for ALL coffee. Best purchase I have made in a LONG time!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..110 Calories of DE-LICIOUS

18 Lisa July 23, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I love Sephora…it’s like a little home away from home, I could be there for hours just looking at all the awesome stuff.
Plyometrics definitely! I love those workouts. Or more tabata
Lisa recently posted..Protein-y Eats and Easy Dinners

19 Julie July 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Upper body please!

20 Marie July 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Just curious, are you still training at the gym? Sounds like your personal plans are going great. Congrats!

21 Courtney July 23, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Yup! I’m there part time, but the personal plans are going great – thanks! :)

22 RunEatRepeat July 23, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Free iced coffee?!?!? Luckee!!!!
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Music Monday–Desiree Davila

23 Karleen July 23, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Total body HARD circuit please:) need something to kick start my bad weekend of wine and junkie food

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 23, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Oh, free samples. The reason I like to go to Costco around lunchtime on Saturdays. :-)

I’d love to see a good plyometrics workout!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..French Toast Kind of Monday.

25 amy July 23, 2012 at 4:03 pm

samples at store always get me, I can never say no!
amy recently posted..Wake Up Call

26 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries July 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

a free iced coffee would instantly make my day! :) i’d love to see a new full body workout of some sort. your workouts are always good ones!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Looking Through Positive Lens

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 23, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Free iced coffee?! That’s awesome! And it looks like a pretty decent size, too!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Happy Birthday Mom!

28 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I vote for upper body, since I’m still waiting for my leg to heal. How about some core, too?!? :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Colorado Road Trip: The Boathouse Pub

29 Linz @ Itz Linz July 23, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I tried a new Loreal foundation today and I loved it! Totally reasonable price, too!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Better Than Chocolate Marvelous Giveaway

30 Danica @ It's Progression July 23, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I’m always looking for new and challenging upper body and lower body strength training workouts! can’t wait!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Food, Inc.

31 Jessica @ New Girl, New City July 23, 2012 at 6:18 pm

OOo I love grocery store samples!! Whole Foods has some AMAZING cheese samples but a free iced coffee?! Heck yeah!
Jessica @ New Girl, New City recently posted..Breakfast

32 Yaara July 23, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Full-body HIIT-type circuits–with burpees; plyometrics; planks; etc..

33 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I think you need to come give me some make-up tips … I’m so clueless!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Did ya miss me?

34 Tiffany July 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm

A new upper body or lower body set that utilizes mainly free weights (rather than machines) would be soooo helpful right now :) You’re awesome!!

35 Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com July 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I love Sephora! Didn’t Trader Joe’s come to Albany or is coming to Albany too? I thought my friend mentioned something to that effect on FB a few weeks ago.
Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com recently posted..Superset me

36 Courtney July 23, 2012 at 8:36 pm

YES!! August 3rd :-)

37 alycia July 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I would love to see a total body workout that can be done at home with no major equipment needed. That would be awesome!

38 Lindsay July 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm

In my experience Shop Rite is hit or miss. The new one on Central Ave is always so busy I get frustrated just walking in — never mind the traffic to get there! That said, if you catch certain items while they’re on sale you can get some really good deals especially if you get their membership card. I usually do most of my grocery shopping at Target or WalMart, so I find Shop Rite to be priced a little high, but more affordable than Price Chopper.

And hey, did you see they put up the sign for Trader Joes on Wolf Rd? I think it’s coming really soon!

39 Kayla July 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Upper body please!!

40 Shana July 24, 2012 at 7:12 am

After a long stretch of muscle building, I am in the mood for a new cardio routine!
Shana recently posted..All Dressed Up

41 Diane July 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

Free sampling! Love them! :)

Would love a workout for the legs!
Diane recently posted..Things That I’ve Used Up Recently (Part 2)

42 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Sometimes being frugal pays off! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Getting Back On Track

43 Bek @ Crave July 25, 2012 at 5:13 am

I wish our stores offered samples! It’s a novelty when they do.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Hectic- Healthy eating & exercise

44 Leah Cron August 1, 2012 at 1:47 am

I don’t like to eat carrots but your carrots there are so cute. You have a good shopping time. It seems you are enjoying.
Leah Cron recently posted..How to Get a Beautiful Smile with a Teeth Whitening