Two Stars of the Show

by Courtney on July 23, 2012

Dinner tonight was awwwwwwesome.

We still had quite a bit of our loaf of Italian bread left from this weekend’s Farmers Market trip, so rather than let it go bad, I decided to cook up a batch of homemade croutons. So quick and simple, too!

To make a batch of Garlic & Parmesan Croutons:

• Cut your desired amount of bread slices, and cut into about 1-inch cubes.
  • Drizzle bread cubes with olive oil (eyeball it – it’ll depend on how much bread you’re using), garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese.
  • Place on a cookie sheet lined with foil and cook at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, tossing once halfway through.

While my croutons were toasting up in the oven, Jay got to work on grilling some Italian-marinated chicken and I took care of putting together some big ‘ol dinner salads for us.

Oh man. Everything about this salad was just awesome. Baby romaine, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes from the garden, shredded carrots, avocado, onion, artichokes, dried cranberries, feta cheese…and finally

The two stars of the show: the grilled chicken and the garlic & parmesan croutons.

It was the best salad I’ve had in months…and yes, I’m aware that I say this a lot. Apparently I’m just getting good at topping myself. Winking smile

After dinner, we had a visitor to the table…

At first he was all, “oh hey guys, I really love you a bunch and just want to spend time with you.”

But then, once he had his fill, he became all “holy crap, I’m gonna eat your hand off, mom.”

He sure does make me laugh sometimes. However…when he slaughters my hand in playfulness? Ehh, not so much. Winking smile

Now the dishes are washed, I’m in my cozies (who am I kidding, I’ve been in them most of the day), and I’ve got my two boys to hang out with for the evening. Life is gooood!

**FYI: In case you missed it earlier, there was a pretty great deal for Courtney’s Total Body Wellness announced on the STSL Facebook page!

1 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Wow, that salad looks incredible! I’m craving a big ol’ salad now. ;) Enjoy your relaxing evening!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Looking Through Positive Lens

2 Alison July 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

That looks AMAZING!!!

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 23, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Yum!! I had an awesome salad today, too, but nothing like yours! That looks delicious!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Did ya miss me?

4 sam @ the real pretty July 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hi Courtney! Are you still training at the gym? I feel like I haven’t seen you mention anything about it lately. Or maybe I’m just crazy… just curious. :) Ps the salad looks super yummy!
sam @ the real pretty recently posted..Dooms Day

5 Courtney July 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Yup, I’m there part time :)

6 Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com July 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Impressive salad! I’ve never made homemade croutons before…they look yummy though! :)
Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com recently posted..Superset me

7 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 24, 2012 at 8:36 am

Homemade croutons are the best! You can control the fat, sodium, and seasonings.
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Tips for Travelling

8 Anne @ LoveMintChocolateChip July 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

that salad looks amazing!!! so many gorgeous colors :)
Anne @ LoveMintChocolateChip recently posted..MIMM: {Happy Birthday Lil Gil}

9 Lauren July 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Nothing beats homemade croutons! Dinner looks fantastic doll.
Lauren recently posted..What I’m Loving Lately

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

You have an insane talent for salads – each one I see you make looks even more awesome than the last!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..French Toast Kind of Monday.

11 Julie July 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Scout “visits” the dinner table sometimes too. So cute. Except, yeah, when he attacks our hands like a vicious little dragon. Cute, still, but painful! :-)

Salad looks delicious! LOVE homemade croutons!
Julie recently posted..A Wedding and a Stomachache

12 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 23, 2012 at 9:06 pm

You sound like me with the salads. I’m constantly coming up with new combos. Great idea with the crutons and your salad looks great.
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Marvelous Monday, a workout and a recipe

13 Rachel July 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm

my cat Jack does the same exact thing! lol we always tell him to play nice lol such a little monster sometimes :)
Rachel recently posted..Six Flags Adventure

14 Marie July 23, 2012 at 9:50 pm

That salad looks so good! And I’m not one to crave salads. Haha.

15 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm

That salad looks amazing, but homemade croutons definitely steal the show! I always have to make a double batch because I eat half of them before they even make it onto a salad!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Tri Like Angels

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm

That last picture is totally cat-crazy-eyes! Your hand better watch out! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

17 Laura Lea July 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Omg those croutons look unbelievable! Could definitely go for those as a savory bedtime snack right about now.

18 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family July 23, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I was eating salads so much for a while i got burnt out. I think I am ready to get back on them!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Weekend Wrapup

19 Khushboo Thadani July 24, 2012 at 12:44 am

Yeesh and I thought I made good salads :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..D is for Deficiency

20 Rachel's Cottage House July 24, 2012 at 1:13 am

mmm… that grilled chicken is looking pretty fabulous right now! And the cat cracks me up! :)
Rachel’s Cottage House recently posted..Pastina with Peas and Carrots

21 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 24, 2012 at 7:00 am

Dinner looks delicious! :) Those croutons sound amazing too!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Weekend Catch Up & Giveaway Winner!…

22 Sarah @ Practice Princess July 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

Home made croutons – fantastic idea! :)
Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..Kitchen Makeover

23 Lisa July 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm

That looks like one nutritionally dense salad! Love that. It all looks splendid. I love packing my salads with anything. Especially roasted veggies with crisp lettuce and avocado, so dang tasty.
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate

24 Fay Macrae August 1, 2012 at 4:45 am

So, yummy and delicious you make me hungry. I love eating meat now.
Fay Macrae recently posted..Sex: Benefits of Good Sex and Herbs that Boost Men’s Libido