30 Minute Treadmill + Plyometric Workout

by Courtney on July 24, 2012

Allllright…who’s ready to get sweaty?!?

hop on hop off treadmill plyometric workout

After putting out a call for new workout ideas yesterday, I noticed that many of you were looking for some cardio, some full body, and even some plyometrics. Sooo, I went ahead and combined them all into one, 30-minute workout.

I actually did a variation of this a couple of months ago on a whim and had totally forgotten about it up until yesterday. It’s a quick, no-messin’ around routine, that will most definitely leave you nice and sweaty by the time you’re finished.

A couple of things to note:

• The speeds given are just recommendations. If you want to walk, walk. If you can jog moderately at 7.0, more power to ya. Adjust the speeds to suit your own abilities.
  • You have 2 minutes of a moderate jog, 30 seconds at an increased speed, followed by 1 minute of a plyometric exercise. I simply hopped off the treadmill, left it running, and completed the exercises next to it…if you’re afraid of getting crazy looks or speed skating into the treadmill next to you while at the gym, feel free to complete the cardio and plyometric moves separately (but go ahead and do two rounds of the plyo moves!).
  • Three of the plyo exercises will have you moving laterally (side to side). These will help not only with your speed, agility, and quickness, but they’ll also work on those outer thighs, hips, and glutes, too.
  • I recommend finishing your plyometric moves at about 54-55 seconds, just to give yourself some time to catch your breath and hop back on the treadmill. We don’t want any face plants into the running belt!

*****

As always, here’s a rundown of the plyometric moves seen above:

Mountain ClimbersStart in a push-up position with arms completely straight. Position hands slightly wider than shoulders and keep your body should in a straight line from head to ankles. Lift one foot off the floor and raise your knee as close to your chest as you can without allowing your lower back to round. Reverse the movement back to the starting position and repeat with other leg. Alternate back and forth as quickly as you can. Pretend your climbing up a mountain!

Speed SkatersBegin with one leg crossed behind the other. Reach your opposite arm across towards the supporting leg. Hop laterally (side to side) and cross back with the opposite leg. Repeat back and forth quickly.

BurpeesBegin in a squatted position with hands on floor in front of you. Jump feet back behind you as you lower torso to the ground (like in the bottom phase of a push-up). Jump your feet back up towards your hands as if in the starting position again. Jump straight up into the air extending your arms vertically to the sky, and repeat.

Side to Side Jumping LungesTake right leg out to the side as you bend left knee, turning the body to the left in a runner’s lunge. Touch the right fingers to the floor, if you can. Quickly jump up to shift the feet in the air and lunge to the right side, touching the left hand to the floor. Continue alternating sides quickly.

Lateral HopsKeep feet directly underneath you, quickly hop sideways over a towel (or an imaginary line) without pausing during the landed phase. Keep your chest up, maintain good posture throughout, and land softly.

Have fun! Smile

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 24, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Oh man do plyometrics work you out! That is probably my favorite way to burn a ridiculous amount of calories and tone up in a very short amount of time.
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Taco Cups!

2 Ellie@Fit for the Soul July 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Yes, plyos are sooo intense! I love everything about them but I’m trying to always be careful so that my joints don’t take TOO much impact. But other than that–I feel so empowered and rejuvenated when I do them. :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Israeli Couscous Salad with Capers

3 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 24, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Definitely; I’m always super careful when I do plyo training – proper shoes and soft landings!
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Tips for Travelling

4 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Looks like a great workout! Hopefully I will get access to a treadmill soon and can try it out!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Summer Naan Pizzas

5 Janae @ Bring-Joy July 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Love that anyone a beginner or advanced participant can do this. Part of the reason I love simple, repetitious interval training. Thanks for sharing Courtney.
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..MM: Marvelous Mondays, Roadtrip

6 amy July 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm

looks like fun!!
amy recently posted..A lesson from the boys

7 Kristy Doyle July 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I’ve been wanting to try a workout where you hop on and off the treadmill, but I don’t own one, so I’d have to do it at the gym, which, let’s face it, is a little embarrassing. Any tips?

8 Kristin July 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

So excited to go home and do this workout!! It’s exactly what I was looking for!!

9 Alysha @Shesontherun July 24, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I love mountain climbers – and these step-by-step pictures are great.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Canning Virgin No More + A Giveaway!

10 kaylie July 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This workout seems so fun and a great high intensity workout! My cardio has felt a bit drab as of late, so this workout will definitely come in handy! P.s- I looovvvee burpees! :)

11 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm

This looks like a killer workout! I can’t wait to try it!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Team Jacob

12 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

This looks like a great workout!!! Can’t wait to give it a try :D
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Turkey Burgers with Basil Mayonnaise

13 Yellow Haired Girl July 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for including the step by step pictures! They definitely help!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Active On The Job

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This looks killer! I definitely suffer from “can’t jump off the treadmill and look like an idiot” syndrome (plus my gym has really tiny aisles so I would definitely be in someone’s way) so I would do the plyos separately.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Desperately Seeking Produce.

15 Rachel July 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm

oo fun! I love workouts that incorporate cardio and plyo! I always end up super sweaty

16 Lisa July 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Definitely looks like a fun one! It makes cardio much less daunting when you can actually get off the machine and do something different for a bit!

17 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident July 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Love the photos explaining each move! Great job on this, and thank you for sharing!

18 Michelle@Peachy Palate July 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Great fun workout…Ill save it for when the gym is quiet!!! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..With beans please

19 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 24, 2012 at 3:11 pm

No getting bored with this workout! I love it!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Snackity snacks! *Beet Hummus*

20 Katelyn July 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Love the how-tos! Workouts are so much better when there are intervals involved.
Katelyn recently posted..{Enjoy!}: Monday Night Shenanigans.

21 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 24, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I wish I had a treadmill at home! There isn’t a ton of room surrounding the treadmills at my gym, so it would be kind of difficult to hop on & off. This looks like a great workout though!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Froyo for Dinner + Kitchen Inspiration

22 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy July 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

i love mountain climbers! they’re a quick way to get a burst of cardio without needing a gym!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..Grilled Romaine & Nectarine Salad! GF, V, SCD w/ BED Opt’n!

23 Alysia @ Slim Sanity July 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I might die going into any kind of run into a minute of burpees…woof! on the other hand….I should probably make myself do it. haha!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..new moves

24 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health July 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm

This workout looks awesome Courtney!!! Totally pinned it so I can try it :). I love mixing plyos into my workouts.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Nike LunarGlide+ iD

25 BakingSuit July 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

I did it! I’ll be doing it again.
BakingSuit recently posted..WTF Did I do last night? Owie legs!

26 Calee July 25, 2012 at 10:36 am

I love the “hop on / hop off” idea. Such a great boredom buster.

Where do you get the images of the exercises? I’ve been putting off 2-3 posts for Twenties Hacker with really good workout ideas because I was going to film myself doing them, but would rather just use good demo images.

Thanks!
Calee recently posted..Summer Bucket List: Pizza + Progress

27 Courtney July 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I create them in Excel and just take a screen shot of them :)

28 Calee July 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Oh, no, I didn’t mean the graphic. I’m actually a graphic designer. I was asking about the images demonstrating your exercises. Do you just google them? Or is there a stock website somewhere?

29 Courtney July 25, 2012 at 4:35 pm

OH, lol, I just search for them online

30 Calee July 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

coolsville! :) PS just read your HA post. Glad you shared. I’ve been trying to be more open on my blog, but I don’t have quite the pressure you do since I have all of 6 readers (including my mom) ;)
Calee recently posted..What I ate Wednesday: Mark’s Birthday Meals