Firing Up the Wii

by Courtney on July 24, 2012

Awesome stuff has been happening around here today.

Like this Cherry Almond Smoothie Bowl I had for lunch.

Topped with plenty of Kashi Go Lean + Love Grown Foods granola.

Then there this evening’s dinner…

It sort of looks like pizzas, right? BUT…no pizzas today. Winking smile

Mine: mozz cheese, red peppers, onions, corn off the cob, zucchini, grilled chicken, feta, and spices.

His: lots of mozz cheese, red peppers, onions, chicken, and spices.

Once the doughs were covered, they got a nice ‘ol roll, a couple slits in the top…

And voila…Garbage Bread!

I ended up buying a thing of whole wheat pizza dough at the store yesterday, figuring that we’d have a pizza on the grill at some point this week. But tonight, we both ended up being in the mood for some garbage breads.

It had been WAY too long since I last had a good garbage bread.

I ended up cutting my bread in half, sliced it up, and served it along with some heated up marinara sauce.

I love the end pieces for all of their doughy goodness…but I love the middle pieces for all the delicious innards.

Two of each = one yummy plate!

After dinner, Jay and I decided to fire up our Wii. I honestly cannot even tell you the last time we used our Wii. Over a year…easily. So we took a few minutes shuffling through all of the games we had just so we could remember what was even there.

We ended up playing Game Party 2, which is a mix of a bunch of games (beanbags, pong, skee ball, hoops, jarts, etc.)

Originally, we were going to go through each of the games once but I think somebody got tired of losing…

And I’ll give ya a hint. It wasn’t me.

I kick some butt with my games. Winking smile

It was nice to do something a little fun and different in the evening, rather than just hang out and watch TV like we usually do. We may have to fire it up more often…just as long as a certain somebody doesn’t mind another whoopin’. Bahaha.

Question for the Morning:

Were you ever/are you into any different kinds of video games?

Growing up, I had the original Nintendo and loved playing Mario Bros. 3, Contra, Life Force, Paperboy, Wheel of Fortune, Tetris, and I’m sure many, many more!

1 Sana July 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I have never played a video game, I just don’t get them!
Sana recently posted..Breaking a Fast {Ramadan Style}

2 chelcie @ chelcie's food files July 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm

wow that garbage bread looks amazing! i love WII..WII dance dance revolution is my favorite!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..NYC Recap Part 2!

3 Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com July 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Ive never had garbage bread but that looks goooooood. Omg we haven’t payed our wii in forever either. Growing up I had Nintendo and a gameboy…I loved Tetris, pong, and Mario brothers, lol. Sounds like a nice night! :)
Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com recently posted..Sweatbath

4 Heather T. July 24, 2012 at 8:17 pm

AHH remember that game we used to love playing on the Nintendo?? I think it was called Arkanoid or something like that.

5 Courtney July 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm

OMG yes!!! How could I have forgotten??? That was a faaaavorite! I thought of you with this because your house was the only one I could play Paperboy at ;)

6 Jessica @ New Girl, New City July 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’ve never heard of garbage bread but WOW that looks amazing! Almost like a calzone!
Jessica @ New Girl, New City recently posted..This Is How I Eat

7 Megan@ The Running Doc July 24, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Mario Kart is my absolute favorite! Both on Super Nintendo and Wii.
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..T-4 Days Until the Olympics

8 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 25, 2012 at 8:26 am

Super Nintendo’s Mario Kart was the best!
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Tips for Travelling

9 Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog. July 24, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh my goodness, I had to google just to check and make sure I was right. But I remember playing ZELDA. Hahahaha. And some duck hunting game where we got to shoot at the guns on the screen. At the time, I remember thinking that it was so cool how technology was so advanced that it had a sensory thing to indicate where I was pointing. Who knew it would just expand x 123124234?
Divya @ Eat.Teach.Blog. recently posted..Dipped Bitty S’mores

10 Courtney July 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Yes! Duck hunt!

11 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I definitely played the original Nintendo growing up, but beyond that I wasn’t that into video games!

12 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Those look amazing! I never played video games growing up! I always thought I was one of the few kids who didn’t have one but it was just me and my sister and we were just as happy playing with Barbies!!!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Chocolate Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies! (Gluten free and Paleoish)~Plus my Workout Nutrition Challenge!

13 Mollie July 24, 2012 at 8:50 pm

your dinner has me drooling as I am getting ready to fall asleep :) I would never have thought to put corn in garbage bread but I bet it was such a great addition-some sweetness and crunch! yum

14 Lauren July 24, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Great idea with the stombolis! It’s been AGES since I’ve made or even had one. Sounds like a fun day!
Lauren recently posted..Just Say “No!”

15 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! July 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Holy yum! Why have I never heard of garbage bread before?! Must. make. soon.
Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! recently posted..WILL

16 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I had the original Nintendo, too. My little brother and I would spend hours and hours playing Mario 1 and 2. Fun times! The garbage bread looks yummy!

17 Jordan July 24, 2012 at 9:11 pm

As a kid I played plenty of Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and Bust-a-Move. Then I became the biggest fan of the Playstation game Kingdom Hearts. I’d seriously like to break that game out again, because it’s so much fun.

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Garbage bread looks delicious!! (Though it could go for a new name ;) ) I might have to give that a try some day soon. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Getting Back On Track

19 amy July 24, 2012 at 9:39 pm

your dinner look amazingg
amy recently posted..A lesson from the boys

20 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

i most definitely need to make us some garbage bread one of these days! i know i’d looove it and so would the hubby.
i used to play super mario bros allll the time on super nintendo! and then even before that the duck hunt game on the regular nintendo. those were the good ol’ days! ;)

21 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 24, 2012 at 9:59 pm

My parents still have a working original Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and N64. Whenever we go to visit, my husband and brothers always make sure they fire it up! Gotta love Super Mario Brothers and Duck Hunt!

I’m a fan of the Wii, but we don’t have a very big game selection. I can play Wii Sports for hours without getting bored!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Team Jacob

22 Katie July 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm

How funny about video games! It looks so fun.

My husband and I actually met because of video games–our first “date” was an epic Guitar Hero faceoff!

(Oh, and ohmygosh, that food looks amazing!)
Katie recently posted..Serving Sizes

23 Kim @ HealthyNest July 24, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Original Nintendo all the way!! I was a huge Paperboy fan too, but that game was so HARD! :) And garbage bread looks amazing–totally need to try that!

24 Shannon July 24, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Nintendogs, MarioKart, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games in Beijing, and Wii Sports are just some of my favorites.

I haven’t used our Wii in a long time! I should probably play a game in the next couple of days. :)

25 Lena @Fit on the Rocks July 24, 2012 at 10:54 pm

omg that looks so easy and yummy! My meals have been getting insanely boring, so this will be great. I loved the original Nintendo, but my favorite was the Super Nintendo. Yoshi’s Island with the baby Marios was the best game EVER.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..The S Word

26 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 24, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Something that is probably a little bit unexpected about me: I’m definitely a gamer. I grew up with a Sega Saturn, followed by a Playstation and and Playstation 2, and more gameboys than I could keep track of.

Right now I have an Xbox and a Wii – whenever I find myself with some downtime in the evenings I’ll fire it up and play for a while – Just find it relaxing!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..It’s Not Lobster, But It’ll Do.

27 Sara @ Magia e Pasta July 24, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Mario Kart, for the win! Also, anything on original Nintendo – Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, etc. I love old school video games.
Sara @ Magia e Pasta recently posted..Lentil Chips

28 Laura July 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Growing up my parents did not allow video games in the house. When I got older we had Tetris and Cubert on the computer but that was it. The first time I ever played any kind of video game was in college. I am TERRIBLE. I can never get those controllers to do the right thing…and what is up with all the buttons?! I cant keep them all straight! lol
Laura recently posted..Fish Eggs and Chicken

29 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 24, 2012 at 11:32 pm

My taste buds are doing somersaults in my mouth right now wishing they had some of that garbage bread to try. That looks really incredible and I WILL be making it sometime soon!!

Oh gosh, I remember playing Pac-Man, Tetris and Frogger on the old school Atari!! Then we moved on to Super Mario Bros with the original Nintendo and it seemed so much more advanced than Atari. How far we have come!! I am not a big video game person now but I do find myself playing Angry Birds, Words With Friends and Temple Run more often than I should!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Take Me Out to the Ball Park

30 Lisa July 25, 2012 at 12:00 am

That bread looks awesome. Even though the name doesn’t sound all to appealing ;)
My favourite game when I was younger was Mario Kart! Its the only one I truly love.
Lisa recently posted..Practice What You Preach

31 Khushboo Thadani July 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

That dinner looks amazing! I was obsessed with Super Mario on Nintendo and Mario Kart on Nintendo 64…oh and you can’t forget about tetris on Gameboy!!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..D is for Deficiency

32 Annie July 25, 2012 at 4:11 am

Approximately how much dough did you use for your garbage bread? I didn’t know about this at all and can’t wait to recreate it!

33 Courtney July 25, 2012 at 7:28 am

I split one full pizza dough into two and made the two breads that way. You can still make them with one full, or even divide them up smaller if you wanted to! Just be sure to pinch those edges in as you roll it up! :)

34 Annie July 25, 2012 at 9:05 am

Thanks! I can’t wait to see the faces of my friends when I tell them they’ll be having garbage for dinner lol!

35 Miz July 25, 2012 at 6:24 am

WE have a WII.
and this WE hath never tried it.
yet.
Miz recently posted..Four tips for flying your freak flag.

36 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

That garbage bread looks so amazing! I really need to make some of that soon!

And no, never been into video games. Unless you count playing Pac-Man while waiting at the dentist’s office as a kid! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Eating our way around Europe.

37 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

That garbage bread looks so yummy! I made your bbq chicken garbage bread a long time ago and I loved it. I definitely need to try this one! :)

I used to love Super Nintendo! I would play Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Super Mario World. I was obsessed.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: My Bachelorette Party!…

38 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl July 25, 2012 at 7:25 am

I use to spend hours playing Tetris and my game boy. Those were the best things ever especially on long car rides!!

39 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter July 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

Oh my word that garbage bread looks amazing! I was definitely expecting pizza until I finished scrolling down! :)
I grew up on atari (completely aging myself)…..Pac-man. Holy cow I loved that game. We did get a Nintendo growing up, but I think I only got as far as Mario Brothers and got disinterested. But I love Just dance on the Wii!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Vitamin D what??

40 Shari July 25, 2012 at 8:07 am

TETRIS! Best game ever!
Shari recently posted..“Scene” in NYC.

41 Danica @ It's Progression July 25, 2012 at 10:13 am

this garbage bread is such a good idea! we have a lot of leftover cutup veggies in the fridge (and won’t be around this weekend) so this would be a great way to use them up.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #31: favorite evening snack?

42 Kelly July 25, 2012 at 11:33 am

Oh man, I love Nintendo!! My *favorite* Wii games are Epic Mickey and Rayman Origins – I’m working on my fourth play-through of Mickey and my second of Rayman. They’re that good! (I’ve actually never gotten rid of a system, but all the old ones are in the closet, not out 24/7 like the Wii is.)

That garbage bread looks SO delicious. I can’t wait to try it – I actually think I have everything I’d need to make it tonight, so maybe I’ll give it a whirl after work! Seems like a great way to use up leftovers.
Kelly recently posted..1500 Calorie Day (Split of Milk and Unwanted Chips Edition)

43 Bek @ Crave July 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

I’ve never even heard of that concept of garbage bread- sort of reminds me of a burrito though. I really want one those bad boys! Mmmm.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Protein Breakfast Slice

44 Trisha July 26, 2012 at 8:06 am

Whoa, those garbage breads look AMAZING!

I remember the day that we got original NES like it was yesterday. I was glued to Tetris, Mario Bros. (3 is the best!) & Paper Boy for years. I actually still have my NES, all these years later. I have to blow in the games a TON to get them to work but it still does! :)
Trisha recently posted..Back to Life, Back to Reality

45 Sarah August 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I want a smoothie SO BAD, my blender broke last week, such awful timing!
Sarah recently posted..Green Pancakes