Crossed My Fingers and Hoped For The Best

by Courtney on July 26, 2012

Guess who figured out a way to use up some more of her zucchini stash…?

Oh yeah, baby. Winking smile

A couple of weeks ago, I received my latest issue of Cooking Light magazine in the mail and happened to come across this recipe for Summer Squash and Ricotta Galette.

I followed the recipe to a T, and basically just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. This was my first-ever attempt at any sort of galette, but surprisingly enough, it was actually pretty easy to make.

The recipe first caught my attention because of the zucchini and squash, but I also immediately loved the fact that it incorporated lots of healthy fats into the crust…just what I’m lookin’ for!

Jay wasn’t too sure about the idea of the galette, but since today is the first day of his birthday week and all, I told him I’d make him a little something else and cooked up a quick and easy buffalo chicken panini with mozz and tomatoes.

As for my dinner…

Corn on the cob, some extra roasted zucchini (because mine were apparently much bigger than “medium” so I had plenty leftover), and a piece of the galette.

Overall, I’m definitely a fan! I loved how this was a bit different from our usual dinner staples, and the recipe had some really incredible flavor to it.

Jay and I were both trying to decide what else this crust would be good with, and I immediately thought of wrapping it around a big ‘ol wheel of brie topped with raspberry jam (which would hopefully come out looking better than this hot mess). Does that not sound ahhhhmazing though, or what? Winking smile

Hope everyone’s having a fantastic evening…iiiit’s almost Friday!!

1 Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com July 26, 2012 at 7:49 pm

That looks perfect! And I love me some paninis! Lol..glad everything came out well! :)
Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com recently posted..Pit Stop

2 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess July 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

That looks super delicious! I love zucchini, I would love to make something like that.

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I’m not even 100% sure what a galette is! Looks pretty tasty though :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Back For Vengeance + A High-Protein Breakfast Recipe.

4 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 27, 2012 at 8:11 am

Ha! I hadn’t heard of a galette either. I like the looks of it :)
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..New Mexico

5 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog July 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

That looks delicious!!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #11

6 Elizabeth July 26, 2012 at 8:09 pm

This is heavenly. My mum made it a little while back, and honestly it was to die for. You should try it out! Perfect of a summer meal :)

7 Charlie July 26, 2012 at 8:36 pm

That galette looks amazing! I MUST try it! I really have a thing for zucchini right now and can’t stop eating it :P.
Charlie recently posted..Sweet & Spicy Baked Pineapple Tofu

8 Jenny July 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Ooh wish I had looked at this earlier! I just got a lot of zucchini and mint in my CSA today and found this recipe appetizer that I whipped up real quick : http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/roasted-eggplant-mint/
delicious!
Jenny recently posted..Iconic Dishes Challenge: Crab Fries

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 26, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Is it weird that I don’t think I’ve ever even heard of galette? Regardless, it looks delicious! I’m all about those healthy fats too. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..07/26: Thursday Thoughts

10 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights July 26, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I’ve made a sweet galette before, but never thought to do a savory one. I’m going to have to remember this!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..The Versatile Blogger Award

11 Clare July 26, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Ahh yum! Can’t wait to try this ;)
Clare recently posted..Recent Eats {favourite snacks}

12 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 26, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I saw that same thing in Cooking Light and was thinking about making it. Looks like it turned out great!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Thursday Things & Random Thoughts of the Day

13 Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} July 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm

stunning!! i love galettes — savory & sweet.
Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} recently posted..Summer ’12 Tunes

14 amy July 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Dinner looks awesomee!!
amy recently posted..Understanding body image

15 Juliene July 26, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I love cooking light. I always tear out so many recipes and yet we eat the same things over and over again. Seeing this yummy dinner has encouraged me to break out of the rut and try something new! thanks
Juliene recently posted..what a year!

16 Khushboo Thadani July 27, 2012 at 12:45 am

I’ve never tried a galette but it looks GOOD! I bet Jay wish he had in on some :)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Hey It’s Okay: Hashtag Editon

17 Michelle@Peachy Palate July 27, 2012 at 1:33 am

Great idea! I love galettes! Favourite is a squash, spinach and caramalised onion one. I make mini ones! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Of the veggie kind

18 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope July 27, 2012 at 7:09 am

That galette looks beautiful and delicious! I’ve always wanted to try making one :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Mini Target & Petite Walmart?…

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 27, 2012 at 7:15 am

I like your idea for the brie cheese. That would delicious!!

You’re such a good wifey for making your husband something different. I probably wouldn’t have done that haha! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..European Vacation, Part Uno

20 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 27, 2012 at 8:07 am

That looks so good!! I am loving this zucchini stash and all the fabulous recipes that come along with it ;)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Apricot Scallop Stir Fry Plus Fitness Friday!

21 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident July 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Be sure to post pics if you make the bri idea! Sounds incredible!
Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident recently posted..So much to do, so little time…

22 Parita July 27, 2012 at 10:54 am

Just checked out that recipe – yum! Making this soon. Thanks for sharing!

23 Bek @ Crave July 27, 2012 at 10:04 pm

So what did Jay think of the Galette? I bet he loved it in the end- men just need to learn to trust women. We know what we’re on about, especially when it comes to food ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Sore & sick

24 Courtney July 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

He said it was pretty good! :)

25 Lisa July 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm

It looks so pretty. I would want to make it solely for that reason!
I still have to use up my zucchinis, I have way too many in my fridge right now.
Lisa recently posted..“Fat” Days