When In Rome…

Gotta love spending an afternoon with mom at the mall and topping it off with a trip to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch!

After doing a little bit of shopping (or “window” shopping, shall I say) we were both starving and decided to pop in for some food. Of course, we had to start off with some of their delicious bread.

Seriously. The darker one? What is it, pumpernickel? Honey something? Good lord…all I know is that it’s amazing. And it was fresh and warm. YUM.

For my lunch, I ended up deciding on their Skinnylicious Chopped Salad.

I’m a major fan of chopped salads, and this one definitely did not disappoint. It came with romaine, grilled chicken, avocado, tomatoes, corn, bacon, blue cheese, apples, and cilantro, and apart from there being just a tad too much blue cheese, this thing was faaaaantabulous.

One of the things I love about chopped salads is that, somehow, they never end up needing all that much dressing. I got my vinaigrette on the side and barely needed to use any of it…it was flavorful enough on its own.

Of course, when in Rome… Winking smile

Mom and I split a slice of Caramel Pecan Turtle Cheesecake – Pecan Brownie and Caramel-Fudge Swirl Cheesecake, Topped with Caramel Turtle Pecans and Chocolate – and, umm, yeah. InSANEly good.

The two of us polished that thing off noooo problem.

After lunch, as we were heading back out to the cars, we ended up passing one of those kiosks in the middle of the mall…you know, the ones that are armed with workers that make a beeline for you as soon as you make eye contact?

Typically, I make sure to avoid those things like the plague and instead, indulge myself in some heavy conversation, start browsing through my purse like I’m searching for something, or look the complete opposite direction when passing them. But for some reason, we ended up getting drawn in today.

And then this happened.

I’ve been needing a new flat iron for the longest time now, but just never bit the bullet and bought one. Since mom is a hairdresser, I kept giving her “the eye” as the lady was talking to us and explaining the product, just to see whether or not she was giving us any BS.

Turns out, the HerStyler brand is a pretty good product, and between it being on sale and my mom’s “hairdresser discount,” we got it down from $200 to $110.

And it even came in purple so really, I was sold from that point on. Either that or after the lady ended up curling a few pieces of my hair. (FYI: Offer to curl/play/up-do my hair and we’ll be BFF’s for life).

I can’t wait to start playing with it and attempt to make some fun curls!

What’s everyone got on the agenda for the weekend? Jay and I had our softball game for tonight get cancelled so we may be spending the evening with some friends, followed by a possible out-of-state day trip tomorrow(!). Gotta knock another state off of our adventure map at some point this year! Winking smile

Comments

I’ve never heard of that kind. I have a Chi now I love it… I remember biting the bullet for it…then my kids shut it in the bathroom door a week later and I cried. Good thing they had a return policy! They aren’t cheap but a good one is so much better for your hair.
    Renee recently posted..Bridal Shower & Bootcamp

Courtney!! My bf Scott opened the first Austin Dell- Kiosk and worked right next to the HerStyler kiosk at the mall, and I have had my green colored straightener for a little over a year now = LOVE IT. My only rec. is to not turn the heat ALL the way up, i usually do it at about 75% cause it gets SO hot! The curls look great too :-) it’s a good buy dont worry! At first I thought he was victim to the kiosk people, but crazy enough it is a really good flat iron!!
    Amanda @ Maggiano Takes Austin recently posted..Life Lately via Instagram/IPhone

3. Antonia says

Courtney,

I bought the Herstyler too, but from Crossgates Mall, about two years ago. A few months in, my Herstyler broke and I returned it to the same kiosk (with the receipt!) and exchanged it for a new one at no cost. This happened a few more times and each time I took my original receipt back and then kept giving me a replacement one for free. Moral of the story is: keep your original receipt! If something breaks on it or it stops working, you can exchange it for a free replacement at no cost as long as its within a year of the date on the receipt.

By the way, I’m so jealous of your Cheesecake Factory trip. :)

4. Angela says

I just visited the Cheesecake Factory this week, too! I tried their promoted cheesecake, the Hershey’s one, because I’m a chocoholic, and it was by far one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. Like you said, when in Rome!

5. Nicole says

Yay for road trips! Have you ever been to Newport, RI? It’s one of my fave places around and only 3 hrs from Albany! My hubby and I go every year for the Food and Wine Festival and also try to go each spring – it’s just so much fun!

Love love love the cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory! You’re making me want to change our “date night” plans for tomorrow and go there instead!!

We’re planning on doing some boring house things for most of tomorrow, followed by a much-needed date night! :)

Have a great weekend, Courtney!
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..European Vacation, Part Uno

I’ve only been to the Cheesecake Factory once–I was so overwhelmed by all of the menu choices! I wish I would have known about this salad, because it looks amazing!

Enjoy your out-of-state trip–spur of the moment plans are the best! My husband and I are running a 5K with some friends tomorrow, and then we’re headed to my parents’ house for a last-minute end-of-summer weekend away!
    Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..#FitStreak Friday: Week 2 Recap

You know, I’ve been reading your blog for awhile & I’m always thinking that we have so much in common. From marrying the men we started dating in our teens to the relationship you have with your family & friends.
    This post was totally something I could have written. I love shopping & lunching with my mom. We both pretend we’re sending a really important text when walking past those kiosks. My mom is also a hairdresser. If I ever stopped at the flat iron place at our mall & found out that I could get one in purple, I’d be sold too. :)
    Trisha recently posted..Thirsty Thursday: Root Beer Float Slushed

I seriously go to Cheesecake Factory just for that bread!! I even ask them to pack me some to-go every time! The hubby always gets embarrassed, but I got no shame ;). I got a flat iron too, and I’ve been trying to curl my hair in hopes of getting that natural wave. My hair is ridiculously straight and sticks straight to my face like seaweed. I’ve tried Julie’s and other youtube girls’ methods, but my hair is hopeless. It just ends up looking fried…Good luck to you! If you figure out some cool tricks, let us know!!
    Min recently posted..Seaweed Soup

10. Maddy says

I have that exact flat iron and LOVE IT! It’s the only flat iron I’ll use now, even though I’ve tried many others. I’ve had it for about 2 years now. It’s also that only hot tool that can curl my hair without the curls falling out later in the day. I can literally brush my hair through the curls and they stay perfectly! Hope you like it :)

That salad does look super delicious! Yum.
    I’ve actually never had cheesecake factory before! Looks good though.
    I have that flat iron as well. My sisters a hair dresser so I always have to get the down low from her. Its not my favourite for straightening, but I like it for curling my hair.
    Lisa recently posted..“Fat” Days