Slowly But Surely

by Courtney on July 30, 2012

Mornin’ friends! We had such a fun, busy couple of days happening over here this weekend…here’s what you may have missed!

Slowly but surely, the room is starting to come together. Last night, after taking down all of the paint, we started getting rearranging some furniture and putting a few things back in place.

We’re definitely not done yet though…we still need to do some finishing up on the corners of the walls, install the new white floor trim, and then paint around the window.

The window is now going to be white, which I know is going to look soooo great against the taupe color. I can’t WAIT to see the finished product in here!

I saw that some of you have asked about which colors we chose, so let me go ahead and give ya the deets on that…

We used Behr paint from Home Depot and chose two different colors. I knew I wanted to have mostly taupe-shaded walls, but we were actually both having some trouble finding the “perfect” shade. A lot of them ended up looking too grey or too green, but then Jay found Basketry and we immediately loved it.

When we first started looking at paint, I wasn’t even totally sure if I wanted a contrasting wall, but all of a sudden I realized I needed one. I’ve always been a huge fan of the brown/blue combo of colors (it’s been in my living room since we moved in) and I found myself getting drawn to those shades every time. The color I decided on was Waterscape.

Jay kept showing me other shades of blue, but I knew that the more I overthought it, the less likely I’d be to make up my mind…so I stuck with this one and am SO happy that I did. Things are lookin’ gooooood!

Speaking of lookin’ good…

This morning’s breakfast was pretty awesome. Just a fried egg, provolone, and raspberry jam sandwich on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

But oh myyy, was it tasty.

And unevenly placed on my muffin too, apparently. Winking smile

I’ve got quite a few things on my Monday to-do list today, and I’m already behind schedule…time to get crackin’!

Question for the Morning:

If you could remodel any one room in your house/apartment right now, which one would it be?

1 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 30, 2012 at 8:50 am

I would love to redo our office room. Right now it’s an office/junk room, but I’d love to put in a huge wrap-a-round desk that has a place for Cody and a place for me. I also want to paint it and add in some organizational shelves and such. Someday! ;)

I love your new colors so much! Seeing it with your furniture in place makes me love it even more. Great job!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Match Made In Heaven

2 Khushboo Thadani July 30, 2012 at 8:50 am

The shade of blue is honestly looking SO good :)! We’re currently in the process of doing up our place…we just finished our living room and I can’t get over how much nicer and modern it looks! Can’t wait to revamp my room, although I am not so much looking forward to moving out of my room during the renovation!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..Weekend Reads

3 Katie July 30, 2012 at 8:58 am

I was watching Good Morning America too! It’s a morning ritual
Katie recently posted..Greetings From My Current Home!

4 Michelle Hunt July 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

It would be the kitchen! I’d just get rid of the living room altogether and make one HUGE kitchen!!! :)
Michelle Hunt recently posted..Addictive Nature

5 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy July 30, 2012 at 9:02 am

We’re just moving into our apartment, so I want to finish our guest room. We can’t paint or anything, but we need to get everything out of boxes so we can actually use the extra room as an office/workout room!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Honeymoon Recap, Part 1: The Delay

6 maria July 30, 2012 at 9:14 am

I would redo our bedroom in our apartment. We have nice furniture, but it needs some “sprucing” up. We’ve been so focused on getting the baby’s room ready!

7 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 30, 2012 at 9:15 am

Kitchen – desperately! We have no dishwasher, pantry or usable counter space.
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Here Comes the Rain Again

8 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files July 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

the wall colors look awesome! I love the idea of having the one contrasting wall!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Vegetable Burritos

9 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie July 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

Love the colors! I really want our apartment kitchen remodeled and it will be in October! I’m super pumped!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Wild Book Review

10 Kim@hungryhealthygirl July 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

I love the contrast of the blue and taupe. It’s looking great! If money were no object, :( I would remodel my master bedroom. It really needs new flooring, furniture….. pretty much the works.
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Power Meal on Vacation

11 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed July 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’d redo the master. It needs it. I am far too tired to do it, though.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..You Can’t Mime Your Way Out Of A Box

12 Faith @ For the Health of It July 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

Your color choices are so pretty! I always get overwhelmed in front of the paint samples. So many colors that look SO SIMILAR!

I think I’d pick my bedroom. When I moved in, the walls were orange and brown. (Clearly the tenant before me was a male…) I painted it a soft shade of beige with a pink undertone, but I really wish I’d gone with a bright blue instead. I like the one I chose, but if I could do it again, I’d definitely take the less pink option!

13 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter July 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

I would definitely do my bedroom! Knock a wall out, paint, and a HUGE closet! :)
Everything is looking great! I love the colors that you guys have chosen! :)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Grateful Mondays!

14 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots July 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love contrast walls, I think they brighten up a room, its looking good over there!

15 Lindsey July 30, 2012 at 9:39 am

Our kitchen, there is nothing a matter with it but I really want white cabinets and ours are dark right now.
Lindsey recently posted..Let Our Holidays Begin!

16 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because July 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

We used a very similar shade of Behr blue in our living room and LOVE it.
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Weights & baby animals

17 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

I have had to re-do every room in our home in the past year and a half- it has been daunting…. I still need floor work done though….. We used Behr paint/primer in all of our rooms- LOVED the product!
You chose beautiful colors!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Exercise During Pregnancy….. It does a body good! {part II}

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

I would love to re-do my whole apartment really, but since I’m hoping to move soon (!!!), I’m hoping I’ll find a place that will allow me to paint and really make it my home. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday

19 Clare July 30, 2012 at 10:00 am

Gorgeous choice of colours! I’d love to remodel our living room, needs a serious makeover ;)
Clare recently posted..Banana Bread {life-changing?}

20 Steph @ StephSnacks July 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

I would LOVE to give my bedroom a makeover!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Weekend Review

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

Love it! Our living room is green/beige and our bedroom is a deep blue color – love accent walls! And we have white trim on our baseboards and around our bay window(and our doors are all white), and it looks so nice! Very classy, you’ll love it!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..grubwithus at karyn’s

22 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 30, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m moving in a month, so I wouldn’t worry too much about our current place :-) Once we get into a new apartment though, I’m sure there’s a lot of remodeling or redecorating I’d like to do!

I love the contrast wall – it looks so modern!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Getting All Italian Up In Here.

23 Yellow Haired Girl July 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

My kitchen! It’s such a tiny little sucker :) the contrast looks awesome!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Monday Lovin’

24 Katy July 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

I love the blue and brown combo. Right now our living room has a blue accent wall and the rest are a grayish color. I think the blue wall gives the room some personality. :-)
Katy recently posted..Triple Cakes

25 Laura Lea July 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hahaha that egg “wing” is amazing. The house looks fantastic!
Laura Lea recently posted..Sunday Fickle Sunday

26 Melanie July 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

I would definitely want to finish off our unfinished basement (that is if never ending funds were available). :) I love the color contrast you chose for your room! It’s looking great!
Melanie recently posted..The Modified Diet

27 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 30, 2012 at 10:23 am

We want to remodel our bathroom. In fact, I’m supposed to call someone today to get an estimate on re-tiling the floor. I hope it works out, because I can’t stand the floor in there!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Cold Quinoa Vegetable Salad and Trader Joe’s find!

28 Rachel July 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

Pretty colors! They look beachy :) lol hmmm not sure if I would change anything, because I just redid my room lol and my mom would probably kill me if I took a paint can to her living room ;) but I do have plans for when I move out!
Rachel recently posted..Hiding the Squirrels

29 Lindsey @ Pas de Deux July 30, 2012 at 10:40 am

I love living vicariously through bloggers with houses to decorate and remodel! Living in an apartment is like living in suspended animation, since you can’t really make changes to make the space “yours”… I can’t wait until my husband and I are ready for a house!
Lindsey @ Pas de Deux recently posted..White Bean Hummus

30 Megan@ The Running Doc July 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love contrasting walls! And it’s a good thing since our home has 3 of them (we’re renting so it wasn’t our doing) but it makes the place feel so much more sophisticated and pulled together. Your living room is really coming along! I bet it’ll look even better once you get that new Ikea furniture in there. :)
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Weekend Exercise

31 Shannon July 30, 2012 at 10:51 am

Since I share a room with one of my family members, I really want to remodel it. We painted the walls a shade of orange and a shade of yellow- and I really want to paint them a shade of light blue and a shade of sea green.

I’m sort of sick of the yellow/orange walls. Hopefully, there’s time this summer to paint!

32 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 30, 2012 at 10:55 am

I can’t wait to see the room when it’s finished!! Most of the house was recently renovated, so I don’t think I would really change anything here!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..The Haircut

33 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness July 30, 2012 at 11:06 am

Love the wall colors you chose! They go together perfectly!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

34 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions July 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

Oh man, I’d remodel the living/dining room in my apartment in a heartbeat. I hate it. We have three east facing windows with absolutely zero window treatments, which means we get full sun every morning, and it’s so stinkin hot. Our walls are all off white with no decoration to speak of, which is so boring. And the furniture situation is a hot mess. We have a very comfortable futon, very comfortable couch, very comfortable chair, a completely mismatched ottoman, and a coffee table. Note: lack of dining table and over abundance of large furniture. I really just want to take everything out and redo the entire room…but alas, I’m on a pretty limited budget, so I don’t think any major updates will happen anytime soon…or ever.

35 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake July 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’d love to do our living room! We’re in desperate need of new furniture!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sunday Dinner

36 amy July 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

love jam on eggs!!!!
amy recently posted..Understanding body image

37 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign July 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love that shade of blue! If I could remodel any room in our house, it would be our bedroom…I’d like to paint it gray instead of the tan color it is now!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Artist Profile: Sam Bock

38 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers July 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

Your room is going to look so nice when it’s done. We love Behr paint, we used it in every room in the house.
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Almond Joy Frappe

39 Danica @ It's Progression July 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm

We just bought a new house 2 months ago and are slowly making all of it “our own.” I just redid our 2 bathrooms a week ago and now we’re starting to pick out paint colors for our kitchen, dining, and living rooms. It’s so hard to choose a color, plus the more I look at them the more they all seem the same! I love the colors you chose though!

40 Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp July 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I love those colors together! Can’t wait to see it when it’s all done! :)
I would definitely remake our bedroom. It is where hand-me-down furniture goes to die. We are very grateful for it, but it feels like a hodgepodge of pieces – including an old desk with a tablecloth over it to serve as our tv stand, ha! One day…
Lauren @ Call Me Mrs. Rapp recently posted..Quinoa Cakes w/ Spicy Marinara Sauce

41 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction July 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Looks great! Love the colors. I did my living room in a cream on two walls and then the other two walls I did a sage green. I liked the look of contrasting walls.
I have run out of rooms to redo and paint so I guess we need to find a new house lol.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Baby Mason’s Story

42 Jennifer July 30, 2012 at 1:11 pm

We just picked a new paint color for our living room – it was Basketry, NO LIE!!! Instantly loved it. Currently 8 months pregnant, decided not to tackle that project until after the baby was born so husband wouldn’t have to go at it alone.

43 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident July 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I tried the egg sandwhich and LOVE it!!!
Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident recently posted..Weekly Plans & New Challenge

44 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom July 30, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I don’t necessarily want to remodel any particular room because my house and furnishings are pretty new but I desperately need some paint on the walls. Right now it is a very light beige color so it is just kind of blah. I would love to hire painters because with 12 foot ceilings and 2500 square feet I DREAD doing it myself!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..A Weekend Away

45 Sam July 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I love love those color combos!!! And I would probably redo my whole place but we are moving soon and then we can start fresh!
<3 Sam
Sam recently posted..Weekend recap

46 Jenn July 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I would remodel my bedroom. I would include a section where I could have a big pile of pillows and blankets for reading!

47 Dee July 31, 2012 at 1:25 am

Hey! We have Basketry as an accent color in our house! The rest of the walls are a lighter taupe, and boy you’re right about it being hard to find a good shade!! After the house was done I kept seeing green! But alas, they are all painted and we are all moved in.. Now it’s starting to look a little yellow! Haha ah well! :)