Family Dinner Time

by Courtney on August 3, 2012

I’m so lucky (and thankful) that my family doesn’t mind eating from TV trays in the living room when they come and visit us for dinner.

We had a full house living room last night, thanks to the company of mom, dad, Little Bro, and Meegs (aka, my ice cream buddy) and enjoyed a nice, simple dinner of grilled burgers and hot dogs, French fries, and corn on the cob. Definitely a true summer meal that I can remember from growing up. Smile

I opted for a cheeseburger topped with provolone, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, and some sautéed peppers and onions (from the garden!), along with some fries and corn.

It may not have been quite as good as last weekend’s burger, but it was goooood.

I hadn’t prepared anything for dessert (GASP!) but Meg pulled through for me and brought over an amazing “Fruit of the Forest” pie from Grandma’s.

It was filled with a bunch of fruits (I think I saw blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and apples) and it blew my mind. So, so good!

While the fam was over, we spent the evening watching some of the Olympics and chatting about our upcoming weekend trip to Wildwood. I’m so looking forward to going back again (and not having to ride a ferry to get there) and hitting up my favorite ice cream place EVER. Wheeeee!

*****

Breakfast

This morning was a pancake kinda morning.

I prepped and cooked up a batch of Kodiak Cakes and topped them with some peanut butter, banana slices, and maple syrup.

I also threw a few banana slices right into the ‘cakes for good measure.

Definitely a delicious way to start the day!

Once this all settles, I’m planning on hitting up the treadmill for some read and walk intervals while finishing up the last two chapters of my Fifty Shades. (Mom brought over book three last night, so I’m all set!) After that, I mayyyyy just have to head out to check out a fun new store that opened today. Remember how excited I was back in December? Well…it’s finally here! Squeeeeel!

1 Tara August 3, 2012 at 9:20 am

Mmm you summer meal looks tasty!!! I always live big family dinners :)

2 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 3, 2012 at 9:25 am

Oh, Trader Joe’s, how I love thee!!!! You should definitely hit it up but I hope it won’t be too busy today. When the one in Fort Worth opened a couple months ago, it was so busy that they had cops directing traffic in and out of the parking lot. Of course, I was still there and didn’t mind standing in a 30 minute line to check out one bit, lol!! Thankfully it has calmed down a lot since then.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..A Feel Good kind of Day

3 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

Trader Joe’s is one of my most favorite places! I’m excited for you :)
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Cantelope!

4 Michelle Hunt August 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

Yay for pancakes!! No better breakfast! Checked back on the ice cream parlour…those sundaes look incredible!!!

5 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 3, 2012 at 9:32 am

It’s been FOREVER since I made myself some pancakes for breakfast – I must change that S.T.A.T!! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday

6 Khushboo August 3, 2012 at 9:34 am

Tomorrow’s flight might just be the best yet: I have the last book of Fifty Shades to keep me company :)
Khushboo recently posted..My new favorite app…

7 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 3, 2012 at 9:34 am

You are never going to want to shop anywhere but Trader Joe’s. That place is amazing.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..HOW Did I Forget To…

8 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 3, 2012 at 9:35 am

All of your food has made me so hungry- especially that burger!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Gymnastics fail & healthy eats from the week (8/3)

9 Jen N. August 3, 2012 at 9:54 am

I really want to go to the TJ’s opening today, but the lack of parking has me worried for getting in there. I will make it there soon though! :)

10 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 3, 2012 at 10:12 am

I have yet to have a true ‘summer meal’— that looks delicious!!! :) So summery and wonderful!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Intimidated by 4th Grade?

11 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 3, 2012 at 10:13 am

I love when the family gets together for barbecues! I can think of no better way to spend time with people than with some good food :D Also — those pancakes look delicious!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Coconut Bars

12 Yellow Haired Girl August 3, 2012 at 10:20 am

Ahhhhhhh those pancakes look delightful!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Lessons Learned

13 Rachel August 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

your pancakes look delicious!
Rachel recently posted..TGIF!

14 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie August 3, 2012 at 10:38 am

Those pancakes definitely look like a delicious way to start the day!

15 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 3, 2012 at 10:47 am

Your dinner from last night is exactly what I’m craving for lunch today!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Two New Dinner Ideas

16 Shannon August 3, 2012 at 10:50 am

I wish I had pancakes made for me at my house. You’re so lucky! I haven’t had pancakes in the longest time.

I absolutely LOVE Grandma’s- the last time I was there was on my birthday when I went out to lunch with a good friend. Their chocolate cream pie is my favorite! :D

If you stayed up late enough to watch the women’s gymnastics all around individual final results, what did you think? I’m so happy Gabby won! She deserves it.

17 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 3, 2012 at 11:32 am

You will love having Trader Joe’s close to you!!! So awesome! I’m at mine all the time!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Happy National Watermelon Day!

18 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

My family would love it if I served dinner on a tv tray! lol If I did that though, my Husband would never leave the couch!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Taco Burgers

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 3, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Love family dinners like that! The boyfriend and I are heading over to my parents for dinner on Sunday and I imagine it’ll be a lot of the same thing.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Shin Splints and Planned Obsolescence.

20 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 3, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This post makes me sad–I’ve yet to have sweet corn this summer, I’ve never even heard of Grandma’s, and I’ve never been to Trader Joe’s. :(

I do thoroughly enjoy that you’re eating off of TV trays, though! JP and I never eat at the table, and neither does my side of the family (any more). JP’s family is all about table-time dinners, and when they come to visit it always feels so awkward to eat at our table.
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..#FitStreak Friday: Week 3 Recap

21 Annette@FitnessPerks August 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

AHHHH lucky!! I WISH TJ’s would come here!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..When Hangry Becomes Laughable

22 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Thanks for recommending the Kodiak cakes a little while back. My kids and I love them. They are great as waffles too. Your going to love Trader Joe’s. I just got one near me in June.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Would you rather?

23 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate August 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Haha I definitely dubbed it a “pancake morning” in my post as well. So yummy!

24 Bek @ Crave August 3, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I can’t believe you’ve over taken me on the book! I guess uni will do that to you- time sucker. Yum, brekky looks so good!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Psychologist & Dietitian Review

25 Alana August 5, 2012 at 2:31 pm

When are you going to Wildwood? I was just there and my parents are going in a few weeks :) Have you been to Samuel’s Pancake House on Surf Ave.? It’s a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!

26 Courtney August 5, 2012 at 5:31 pm

In a few weeks! I’ve never been there, but I’ll definitely have to keep that in mind…thanks for the heads up! I LOVE me some pancakes! :)

27 Nicole F. August 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I just got back from our family’s annual trip to Wildwood and may have enjoyed a SeaShell sundae last night ; ) We had beautiful weather! I hope your family has the same!

28 Courtney August 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Ohhhhh, LUCKY!! I can’t WAIT for one (or three!) ;-)

29 Colleen G September 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Wow those pancakes look even better than the ones you posted with the cream and fruit on top. I’m a peanut butter freak, so what a great idea to add some protein for balance. (I can’t find Kodiak Cakes by me!!)