It Was A Mad House

by Courtney on August 6, 2012

A MAD. HOUSE. up in there…

But I did manage to get myself front row parking. Winking smile

As soon as I walked in to Trader Joe’s this afternoon, I realized that it was going to be a quick trip. Sometimes I can handle a crowd while shopping, but other times (especially when I’m really just there to browse) I’m about ready to run over anyone and everyone that comes in my way with my cart.

Today was the latter.

After about 20 minutes, I was able to get through just about all of the aisles but probably only saw about 50% of what was in each aisle since they were packed. I managed to snag a few items along the way…

• romaine lettuce
  • spinach
  • bananas
  • cocoa powder (almost out, can’t have that!)
  • brownie mix (I’ve had it before and I LOVE it)
  • Tandoori Naan (excited about this one)
  • kettle chips (for the hubby’s lunches)
  • peanut butter filled pretzels (‘nuff said)
  • marinara sauce (not pictured, bought last minute while waiting in line)
  • and last but not least…

Cat cookies. I have a past with cat cookies…and what it basically boils down to is the fact that I should not buy them. Because I can’t control myself around them.

But I did.

And then I snacked on a bazillion of them in the car during my 15 minute drive to Price Chopper to finish up my grocery shopping. Ooops.

*****

Dinner tonight was a simple one, since Jay has a softball game and I’m headed out shortly to go cheer him on.

We have lots of fresh veggies in the house, so I put some of them to use to make a big salad of romaine, cucumbers, garden tomato (almost a whole one), shredded carrots, corn off the cob, red onions, and feta cheese. I drizzled everything with about a few teaspoons of olive oil and some spices. YUM.

I knew I’d need something else, and I also didn’t do a very good job of getting in many fats earlier in the day, so I toasted up half of an English muffin and topped it with lots of peanut butter and raspberry jam.

I’m headed out the door shortly, but before I go, I thought I’d leave you with this great someecard I found on Facebook today.

I figured at least a few of you out there would appreciate it. Winking smile

1 Molly August 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Eating fro yo now! Great way to end Monday!

2 Jane {In the Pink and Green} August 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I could definitely go for some fro-yo after the day I’ve had! :)
Jane {In the Pink and Green} recently posted..Bend.

3 Jessica @ New Girl, New City August 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I’m the same way with TJ’s animal crackers… absolutely ZERO self-control. But they’re so goooood!
Jessica @ New Girl, New City recently posted..Catch Up

4 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I was in Trader Joe’s this afternoon too, and it was packed! I also scored a good parking spot somehow though. :) I love Cats cookies and bought them today as well. I’m pregnant, and I swear that they settle my stomach.
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Part two: Weekend recap (Main Street Grill and TCBY)

5 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

I. LOVE. CAT. COOKIES.

So much so that I can’t buy them anymore :(
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Take a minute.

6 Abbie August 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Had some earlier today after hours at the zoo in the heat. Sooo gooooood…

7 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I’m always happy for an excuse for froyo. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Nerdy Confessions.

8 Leslie August 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Haha I love the card! I think we were on the same wavelength today!! :) Im glad there was a trader joes that opened close to you!! I wish they had one near me! Also, I added your 7 moves for shredded shoulders to my workout this morning! I loved it.. Can’t wait to do it again! Thanks for sharing!!

9 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

So glad you liked it! :)

10 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Oh man, I’ve had those peanut butter filled pretzels before and they are dangerous!!! I’m with you on not liking crowds at grocery stores sometimes. I made the mistake of going to my Whole Foods around 10 AM on a weekend. Never did that again!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

11 Rachel August 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

OMG I am with you on the cat cookies! I bought them a while ago and couldn’t get my hands out of the container LOL!
Rachel recently posted..Squeaky Sneaks

12 Lauren B. August 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Have you tried their vanilla wafers? They are the best “Nilla wafers” ever and I just finished off a container of them yesterday. They are my weakness.

13 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

Oh man…no, I haven’t. But they sound just as addicting as the cat cookies. ;)

14 Jenny August 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Trader JOe’s near me is usually always so crazy crowded!! You’ve got to go right when it opens ;) Something I can never buy are Stacy’s Pita Chips in cinnamon sugar. The bag is gone in a snap.
Jenny recently posted..Beach Time

15 Shana August 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

That salad looks sooo good! I’m kind of obsessed with raw corn off the cob right now. It’s so sweet!
Shana recently posted..How to Achieve Inner Peach

16 Katy August 6, 2012 at 8:54 pm

hahaha Trader Joe’s is no joke! I rarely get out of there for less than $50. I just recently bought Cat Cookies for the first time and I had to hide them from myself! I do the same thing- I always buy myself 1 thing there to eat on the car ride home. (Luckily TJ’s is 2 miles away.) For me, it’s usually something salty like veggy sticks or the popcorn puffs! :-)
Katy recently posted..Farm Share #7

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I feel like Trader Joe’s is almost always crazy when I go! I’ve never tried those cat cookies… They sure do sound incredibly addicting though! LOVE that ecard! That is my Monday motto. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Tropical Traditions Virgin Coconut Oil {Giveaway!}

18 Sana August 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

The Tandoori Naan is soooo goood :) I hope you enjoy it!
Sana recently posted..Surprise Dinner Party

19 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

Sana! I actually thought of you and our Indian dinner at HLS a couple years back when I bought it! :)

20 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I had to laugh out loud when I saw that picture of the cat crackers in your car. Some things are just too good to wait on!! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Marvelous Monday “Birthday Edition”

21 Alison August 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Would indeed be a great time for fro-yo! So are those cat cookies just like animal crackers? I’ve had TJ’s gingerbread cookies before and they were so addicting….so I share your struggle.

22 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:11 am

They’re kind of like a cross between animal crackers and shortbread cookies :)

23 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 6, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I went the first day our Trader Joe’s opened and it was CR-AZY!! I stood in line for 30 minutes to check out and I barely managed to get a look at what they had. Fortunately, it has slowed down quite a bit!

Trader Joe’s chocolate covered edamame is my downfall. I don’t know what it is about those little things but handful and after handful tends to end up in my mouth!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..The Painting Begins + Pancake Muffin Bites

24 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 6, 2012 at 10:10 pm

That Trader Joe’s look huge! I would be in heaven! Mine is pretty small! I can’t shop when it’s really crowded though either! I’ve had to figure out the best times to go when its not super busy!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

25 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Love Trader Joes!! & I’ve found no matter what location, what time of day – it is always super busy! Prob because it is amazing :) enjoy!!

I have a list of TJ favorites on the little old blog, in case you were interested ;)
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..Homemade Almond Milk

26 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:07 am

Going to check that out NOW! :)

27 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 6, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I have this rule when I go to Trader Joes – baskets only. Carts are so annoying in tiny aisles and busy stores and I swear Trader Joes is the WORST. So I go in and any and everything I get MUST fit in the basket. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Walk The Moon

28 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:06 am

Hahaha…that IS a good rule!

29 Meredith @ DareYouTo August 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm

haha i’ve been the same way with TJ’s CAt’s Cookies! They’re very addicting. My friend introduced me to them when we were roommates, and she’d buy a whole tub just for me–she didn’t even eat them! It was a dangerous situation.
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..get Practical Paleo

30 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate August 6, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Haha oh geez that someecard sums up my day so perfectly that I even linked this in my post.
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Almost Finished!

31 Amanda @Live. Laugh. Learn. August 7, 2012 at 12:06 am

I love going back and reading your previous posts from before I started following you and I happened to come across this one tonight http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2010/10/26/im-back-in-the-running-game/
Those cat cookies really must be good! I might have to make a stop at Trader Joe’s after work tomorrow and see what they’re all about! :)
Amanda @Live. Laugh. Learn. recently posted..A Rustic Wedding

32 Julie August 7, 2012 at 12:38 am

Ha! I just got back from some Monday frozen yogurt! :-) I sure hope TJ’s calms down for you soon, because everyone deserves to shop there stress-free!
Julie recently posted..Sunday Snack Day

33 Katie August 7, 2012 at 1:17 am

Wow, you’ve got a really big Trader Joe’s! Lucky you!! ;)
All of the Trader Joe’s near my place look WAY smaller; I’d be in heaven shopping at yours! :D
Katie recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday #5: PB2? One Direction?

34 Khushboo August 7, 2012 at 4:26 am

Monday fro yo is where it’s at- I definitely got my fix yesterday :)
Khushboo recently posted..Just touched down…

35 Debra Baldwin August 7, 2012 at 5:23 am

You dinner recipe is simple yet very delectable to eat.
Debra Baldwin recently posted..Natural Aphrodisiacs for Men to Boost Their Sexual Desire

36 Nikki August 7, 2012 at 7:06 am

My roommate in college who was not even a health nut used to get those same animal cookies all the time.

37 Cindy August 7, 2012 at 7:09 am

You should try grocery shopping at TJ’s in Manhattan–it’s literally a mad house everyday! Actually, in ever grocery store for that matter!

38 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 7, 2012 at 7:28 am

I haven’t been to TJ in a while! I miss shopping there. They closest one to me is about 30 minutes away. I wish they would make one closer. I love the cat cookies too. They are yummy :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Two Years Of Blogging!…

39 Kelli-Ann August 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

I am so excited to go to the new Trader Joe’s, as I have never been to one before! After seeing your pictures, I will wait till I venture over to Wolf Road. I was already told by multiple friends that I must try the Cat cookies. : )

40 Brittany @ ReadRunRepeat August 7, 2012 at 8:39 am

Kudos to you for hitting up TJ! I so want to check it out, but I hate battling people in the grocery store… it makes me want to run over people with my cart!! I’ve been having a craving for TCBY for almost a week now…. i must get myself there!!
Brittany @ ReadRunRepeat recently posted..Manic Monday?

41 Jill August 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

I’ve never been to Trader Joe’s, so I’m excited to check out the new Capital Region location (ummm… in a few weeks, when it calms down a bit – though I’m sure not enough to not want to run people over with my cart). Question… as a Trader Joe’s newbie – can you suggest a few items that I must try??? I feel like I’m going to be completely overwhelmed & want to try a few items at a time so I don’t completely blow out my bank account! Haha. Suggestions would be appreciated :)

42 Courtney August 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

Haha, I hear ya! Some of my favorites from there are actually all listed in this old post here: http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2010/10/24/blogger-grocery-shopping/
That should be a good starting point for you! :)

43 Jill August 7, 2012 at 9:55 am

Awesome, thanks!

44 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog August 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

LOVEEEEE Trader Joe’s!
Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog recently posted..Foodie Penpals #3

45 Nicole August 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

I forgot that the TJs opened in Alb – its about time that they opened a store in the area! My mom will be so excited, she always stocks up when she comes to visit us!

The naan is one of my fave TJ products – they have a bunch of flavors by the breads, and they are so versatile! I always have a few bags of it on hand. Also, their pizza dough and peach salsa are really great. But whatever you do, do NOT buy the cookie butter. The stuff is seriously SO good, I blow through a container in a matter of a week or two!

46 Holly August 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

Not going to lie, I would totally send you money to send me some of those cat cookies!! :) We don’t have a TJ’s by us :( …but I keep seeing those cookies around the blog land, and they seem right up my alley!
Holly recently posted..The REAL Stuff.

47 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 7, 2012 at 9:45 am

Wow! Your Trader Joe’s looks SO much bigger than the one closest to me! I love TJ’s, but I also like to browse EVERYTHING & because my store is so cramped it always feels like people are breathing down my neck for me to get out of the way!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..One Year

48 Barbara August 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

Love Trader Joes. Hate crowds. I typically avoid going there on weekends and find it a more enjoyable shopping experience…. I love to browse products there, read the nutritional info and so on. I’m sure the newness of the new location will wear off in time.

I’ll have to try (or maybe I shouldn’t….) those vanilla cat cookies. I love the chocolate ones but limit myself to one serving and I dip them in peanut butter for a little protein. Yum.

49 Christina August 7, 2012 at 10:54 am

The Naan is SO GOOD. You’ll love it. I still have to try the Cat cookies – honestly, I’m a little afraid to ;)

50 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’m so jealous! I’ve never been to Trader Joe’s (come to think of it, I’ve never even seen a Trader Joe’s), but after reading about it on so many blogs, I must find one ASAP!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Motivation Monday: Run Like Angels

51 Rebekah N. August 7, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I think the someecard you posted is great! I totally had Frozen Yogurt on my Monday too! :) Peppermint was amazing..then I exercised last night and ran this morning..LOL :)

52 Krista August 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I love cat cookies..I can’t control myself either. I usually get the chocolate. I made funfetti dip (with yogurt) from the website skinny taste and we dipped the cat cookies in instead of animal crackers..ammazinng!

53 Bek @ Crave August 8, 2012 at 6:51 am

Those cookies remind me of mc donalds cookies which I have not eaten in 734873024 years but remember how much I love the subtle deliciousness they offer.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..I beat the binge!

54 how to screenshot October 18, 2013 at 4:24 am

Both the Mac – OS and Windows offer a means of making screenshots
built right into their software. Ab India Todega is the desi avatar of already famous international show from Miditech Pvt Ltd.
They are also great for making instructional documents and
‘how to’ guides with visual aids to help reinforce learning.
how to screenshot recently posted..how to screenshot