How Did I Not Know?

by Courtney on August 8, 2012

I can NOT believe I didn’t know this earlier…do you guys know what today is???

national zucchini daysource

It’s National Zucchini Day!

Had it not been for some lovely reminders on Twitter earlier today, I would have had no idea…and what a shame that would have been. Winking smile

I now can’t help but feel suddenly compelled to want to go make another zucchini recipe. Or maybe just repeat one of the many of shared with you all over the past couple months…

Believe it or not, I actually only have one zucchini in the house right now, thanks to my giving away three enormous ones to some friends at Jay’s softball game on Monday night. I don’t know…I think Jay might go bananas if I try to push another zucchini dish on him right now. We’ll see what happens.

*****

Earlier this afternoon, once I had a few training plans done for the day, I took a little break for some yoga.

Today’s yoga session came courtesy of Jillian Michaels and felt great. I was feeling pretty antsy and needed to get moving, so this definitely fit the bill.

Once I finished with that, I headed out to the kitchen in search of something to eat. Oddly enough, I wasn’t super hungry but knew I needed something, so I started scrounging. First, I grabbed a handful of cherry tomatoes and just started poppin’ them like candy.

Then I eventually settled on a yogurt parfait made with the rest of my 16oz. blueberry Chobani tub + a couple spoonfuls of the vanilla chocolate chunk flavor, along with some strawberries and granola.

I enjoyed that while taking a few minutes to relax and watch The Chew, which is actually a really cool show. They always have so many delicious sounding recipes on there, and that Clinton Kelly is quite a character.

As if my yogurt tub wasn’t sweet enough already, I finished things off with the last of my zucchini brownies.

So, so sad.

But hey, at least I can say I properly celebrated the holiday now, right? Right!

Okay…time to get back to work…but mayyyybe take a quick detour towards the pool for about thirty minutes of some Vitamin D. Winking smile

1 Becki (@Fight4Wellness) August 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Zucchini is the first vegetable I convinced my partner to eat on a regular basis, now he eats it, summer squash, and bell peppers all the time and even buys them himself. Yay, zucchini! I’m going to have to try out the zucchini casserole and get his take.
Becki (@Fight4Wellness) recently posted..Busy vs. Over Scheduling: Learning to Stop Spreading Myself So Thin

2 Rachel August 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I actually have some zucchini at home haha just in time for the holiday ;)
Rachel recently posted..Vegan Greek Yogurt

3 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots August 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

over the weekend a family friend brought over some zucchini cupcakes that she had made and they were to die for! I can definitely get on your hype about the brownies!!

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 8, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’m all about the zucchini this summer. My friend gave me a huge one yesterday. So perhaps I will use it tonight for dinner. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Single Digits & Plans For Next Week!…

5 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love JM’s Yoga Meltdown DVD. Bashira (sp?) is awesome!
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Pack your lunch!

6 Sarah @ Practice Princess August 8, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Love the look of the Zucchini Casserole :)
Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Oracles

7 Michelle@Peachy Palate August 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Yoghurt and granola is my all time favourite snack :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..First day of the week

8 Lisa August 8, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Haha, I love all the zucchini recipes you’ve made this year. Makes me happy since I think zucchini just may be my favourite vegetable!
Looks like I’ll have to use one of your recipes today, I mean it is national zucchini day!
My neighbour has been giving her zucchinis from her garden, but I used them all. Maybe I’ll have to go steal some today;) too far?
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #18

9 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I’ve already celebrated twice today. First with zucchini dipped in hummus and then zucchini in my salad. I think I need to celebrate with some zucchini brownies for dessert! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..I heart peaches & WIAW

10 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I totally didn’t know today was national zucchini day! Too bad–I already have plans for another summer squash tonight. Ever heard of cucuzza squash? I hadn’t, but saw it at the grocery store yesterday. We’re going to try it out with dinner tonight, and I’m hoping to post about it tomorrow. So, I’ll have to modify and call it summer squash day. :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Homemade Creamy Peanut Butter

11 Alison August 8, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Woohoo for National Zucchini Day! I have leftovers for dinner already planned so I don’t think I’m going to be eating any today….But maybe I can make some zucchini bread tomorrow for a belated celebration ;)

12 Mallory August 8, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I just saw a recipe for zucchini cupcakes with a caramel frosting. I think that you should make them and then recruit me as one of your taste testers ; )

13 Courtney August 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Ohhhh man…I am ALL OVER THIS!
And I will have you be one of my first taste testers, of course ;)

14 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I need to try those brownies. Yummy!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wine Wednesday – Dreaming Tree Cabernet Sauvignon

15 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm

don’t you just love JM yoga meltdown? I was surprised how much I like it.

You know, I think I know what I’m going to do with my lingering zucchini hanging out in the fridge, Courtney :)
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..WIAW–Pre and Post Workout Fuel + ICEdot Winner Announced!

16 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance August 8, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I can’t believe I missed the holiday either! I’ve been saying for months that I really need a food holiday calendar!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #17

17 Claire August 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I love Jillian’s 30 day shred workouts (and her and her books!) but haven’t tried her yoga yet! Definitely going to check it out!
Claire recently posted..Almond Butter Makes Me Weak in the Knees

18 The Real Pretty August 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

And now I’ve got a major brownie craving… drool!
The Real Pretty recently posted..Now What?

19 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third August 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I just got finished getting in my Vitamin D and it was glorious! ;)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: Summer Staples (and fish FAIL)

20 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I wish Clinton Kelly was my best friend – he is just fantastic. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Awkward Gym Noises.

21 Courtney August 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I KNOW, right?!? :)

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 8, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Haha that holiday was obviously made for you!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..BBQ Chicken (on the grill, or in the oven if you run out of propane like we did.).

23 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries August 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I’ve been wanting to get that Jillian Michael’s yoga dvd! How do you like it? I’ve heard varying thoughts on it.

P.S. I love your orange toes! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #46: Catch Up Day

24 Courtney August 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm

HAHAHA…I actually hate my orange toes but I’m too lazy to change the color right now! ;)

And I really do love that yoga DVD. It’s great for when I’m feeling like I need a little something extra with the yoga because it’s a bit quicker paced. Definitely recommend :)

25 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I love the Chew! Carla’s my favorite :)
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..A change of pace

26 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony August 8, 2012 at 4:48 pm

The only way I can get my boyfriend to eat zucchini is sauteed in a little EVOO and garlic over whole wheat spaghetti with some parmesan. SO good!
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Al Fresco

27 Annette@FitnessPerks August 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

YAY! Happy day! I have a GINORMOUS zucchini in my fridge right now, and will be incorporating it into everything and making recipes :)

I like your coach–random, but yes, I do.

28 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident August 8, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Hurray for Zucchini Day!
Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident recently posted..Goodbye My Dear Gym

29 Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean August 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Zucchini brownies?? That I HAVE TO try!

30 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Sadly, I didn’t know either, and I let the whole holiday go by unobserved. Haha. I love that Jillian DVD. It is a much cheaper and more convenient option to going to the studio.
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..This week’s Trader Joe’s haul (8/8)

31 michelle kim August 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I love me some sweet tomatoes, as well! Cherry tomatoes are the best :D
And I didn’t celebrate National Zucchini day because… I had no idea there was such a thing, hehe.
michelle kim recently posted..All the Hubbub

32 Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 9, 2012 at 12:03 am

I always wonder who comes up with these national days! :D haha. And the other day you showed a buncha amazing brownies so I started craving one so bad that I made a protein brownie for me and my husband yesterday. ;)
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Date Day and the Perfect Cookiewich

33 Bek @ Crave August 10, 2012 at 5:13 am

Haha you are the queen of zucchini! Well since you have one in the house and you just finished the brownies? Isn’t that sort of like a God sending you an obvious message Courtney!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Loving myself