I Like My Oatmeal Lumpy

by Courtney on August 8, 2012

Darn these Olympics!

source

Jay and I didn’t wind up getting home last night from our friends’ apartment until almost midnight, thanks to some late-night Olympic games viewing. It also probably didn’t help that the boys managed to find this Summer Olympics Drinking Game…

source

Needless to say, they made for quite an amusing evening. Winking smile

Since I didn’t get to bed until almost 12:30 last night, I bailed on my planned morning walk and snoozed through my alarm until about 7am. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to get that in later, but if not, no biggie.

Instead, I got up, checked some emails, and went right for breakfast…and this time, I knew exactly what I wanted.

Oatmeal!

Besides having OIAJ a few times, it’s been months since I last had a bowl of hot oatmeal. I guess maybe the summer months will do that to ya…or maybe it’s just me going through yet another one of my breakfast phases. Who knows.

Apparently though, I seemed to have forgotten how to make a good batch of oatmeal because this one was just not that great. I like my oatmeal thicker lumpy (<—The Humpty Dance reference, anyone?!?) and this one was a bit on the watery side and lacking flavor.

Luckily the blueberries and big ‘ol glob of peanut butter helped out a bit in that department, but ehh, I guess you can’t win ‘em all. Hopefully lunch and dinner will be better…I’m actually thinking that this salad sounds good for lunch (actually from exactly a year ago today!), and these chicken burgers are most likely getting made for dinner. YUM.

Question for the Morning:

Has anyone else found their usual bedtime getting later and later thanks to the Summer Olympics?

1 Erin @ The Grass Skirt August 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

The Olympics have absolutely been keeping me up at night. There was no way that I was going to miss gymnastics though!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..This week’s Trader Joe’s haul (8/8)

2 Victoria (District Chocoholic) August 8, 2012 at 8:51 am

A synchronized swimmer from Japan *did* almost drown at the 2008 games.
Victoria (District Chocoholic) recently posted..Lindt Excellence Coconut Bar

3 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 8, 2012 at 8:53 am

That drinking game is really funny.

I never thought to put blueberries and peanut butter together! I’ll have to try it.
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Take a minute.

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 8, 2012 at 8:55 am

I am so in to baseball this year (the Pirates are having a great season for the first time in 20 years!) that I haven’t been watching the Olympics too much.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Restaurant Review: SLICE on Broadway

5 Linz @ Itz Linz August 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

lol that drinking game is hilarious! i have good intentions with my bedtime, but then turn the olympics on in bed which keeps me up. whoops!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz WIAW!

6 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance August 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

I had forgotten the Olympics stayed on so late! I’ve definitely been lacking a bit of sleep thanks to them!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #17

7 Michelle Hunt August 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

I haven’t been overly bothered with it really! The bright nights are just what kill me!
Michelle Hunt recently posted..First day of the week

8 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 8, 2012 at 8:58 am

I like my oatmeal so thick my spoon will stand upright in it!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Hodgson Mill Gift Package

9 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction August 8, 2012 at 9:01 am

I like my oatmeal lumpy too! I usually use instant oats and find that the package is too small to create a good bowl of oatmeal! The olympics have been keeping me up, but I’m more of a night owl so it hasn’t been effecting me all that much!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..16 oz Blended Chobani Yogurt Giveaway

10 Khushboo August 8, 2012 at 9:02 am

That’s the only issue with time difference….when I was in Mumbai, I couldn’t even watch the games live because they were on at some absurd time in the night!
Khushboo recently posted..Eating my way through London: The Folly

11 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed August 8, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’d have been blown out drunk on that game.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Inspired By Asscandles

12 Danica @ It's Progression August 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

My husband found that drinking game online last week and we had a pretty good laugh reading through it. Shotput derp? haha
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #33: the grill

13 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

Oh my gosh….I love the Olympics, but they better end soon or I’m going to fall asleep at work! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..I heart peaches & WIAW

14 Miz August 8, 2012 at 9:30 am

YES YES YES.

good gosh Im tired.
it is a good thing *I* am not competing :-)
Miz recently posted..I hate quotes.

15 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 8, 2012 at 9:30 am

haha those games are hilarious! I don’t have cable otherwise I would probably be staying up late watching.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Wine Wednesday – Dreaming Tree Cabernet Sauvignon

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

I go through breakfast phases too and despite the summer weather, my go-to has been a bowl of oatmeal with banana and peanut butter. Plus a side of iced coffee to keep me cool ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW / The Peanut Butter Takeover

17 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

Oh heck yes- those summer Olympics are kicking my bedtime bum! I can’t believe that I actually enjoy watching them and keeping up to date- those athletes are just so AMAZING! ……That drinking game is toooooo funny!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..{{Bump love}}

18 Kelli August 8, 2012 at 9:41 am

Totally staying up too late because of the Olympics! As soon as I saw the title of this blog entry I started singing the Humpty Dance in my head! Better than out loud at work! I also had hot oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast today. I like it lumpy and thick too. : )

19 Steph @ StephSnacks August 8, 2012 at 9:46 am

I can’t say I’ve been going to bed much later (I generally go to bed around 11:00) but I’ve been LOVING watching the Olympics. So much fun!

20 Yellow Haired Girl August 8, 2012 at 9:48 am

Ahhhhh that oatmeal looks amazing! I’m regretting my current choice of a breakfast wrap ;)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Not Very Stapley

21 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 8, 2012 at 9:49 am

Absolutely !! I’m obsessed & have to watch everything! I feel like if I don’t watch the night before in its entirety…I fall behind & can never catch up! Maybe I’m a little neurotic :)
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..RTB:NJ Training Plan

22 MJ Keller August 8, 2012 at 9:55 am

Definitely prefer oatmeal on the lumpier side. Been there, done that – try throwing it in the microwave for 30 seconds to see if it thickens next time, although you don’t get the cold factor it thickens em up quite nicely!!

Beautiful blog. You’re one of my daily reads – or multi-daily reads!

23 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

For the first week I stayed up until midnight or later. I would even wake up to watch the extremely late (or early) recaps–sometimes staying awake past 3:00 am! Now that work has started again, I haven’t been able to stay awake past 10:00. :(
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Why I Have Been/Will Be MIA

24 Katy August 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

Olympic drinking game? That can be very dangerous!
Katy recently posted..WIAW: Staying Hydrated

25 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

How funny, I am having one of my first Summer bowls of hot oatmeal this morning. There was something about it that just sounded so good, except that mine tastes delicious!! Coconut, banana and peanut butter combo is delicious!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..National Exercise with your Child Week +WIAW #8

26 Shannon August 8, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yes! What a simple question. I’ve been going to bed after midnight the past week or so; yesterday, I went to bed at 11 because I already knew that Aly Raisman won the gold in the floor routine (she was fantastic!).
Shannon recently posted..Sutton’s Cafe, a review

27 Carly August 8, 2012 at 10:30 am

Ah man, did you take a shot when Gabby fell off the balance beam? haha. That’s so funny the things on the drinking board pic.
Carly recently posted..I’ll TRI to recap it for you(;

28 Rachel August 8, 2012 at 10:35 am

haha I always like my oatmeal lumpy too lol it’s been ages since I’ve had some… the thought of cooking over a stove now doesn’t sound too appealing haha
Rachel recently posted..Vegan Greek Yogurt

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 8, 2012 at 10:53 am

I have the same opinion when it comes to oatmeal; watery = no good!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Revel Atlantic City

30 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength August 8, 2012 at 11:02 am

I likeI like my oatmeal thick and lumpy too! I made some the other day (also for the first time in awhile) and it was way too watery. I was so sad that I keep thinking I should make another bowl soon to make up for it. :)
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..Hot Track Workout

31 Jenn August 8, 2012 at 11:08 am

Yes, my bedtime has gotten much later which means more coffee in the morning than usual.
Jenn recently posted..Image Obsessed.

32 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

Yeah, I haven’t gone to bed on time since the Opening Ceremonies. I absolutely adore the Olympics (obviously), but I’m looking forward to getting a full night’s sleep next week (and actually being able to have evening plans other than “sit on the couch with my eyes glued to the TV all night” haha)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Meal Planning

33 Kenzie August 8, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yes!!! The Olympics are killin my morning workouts. I finally remember that I do indeed have a DVR and had to record last night’s after I finished watching beam.

Oatmeal is good for any occasion though!

34 Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony August 8, 2012 at 11:44 am

Absolutely! Our dinner time is also getting effected! If there’s an event on we want to watch we’ll wait for it to be over to start cooking.
Angela @ Health, Happiness, & Harmony recently posted..Officially Diesel

35 Lea August 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

The Olympics have seriously been cutting into my sleep time! And of course all the sports I want to watch don’t air until 11. It’s a good thing I have DVR or I’d be one sleep deprived zombie right about now.
Lea recently posted..“Have You Heard That We’re A Cult? Because We’re Not!”

36 Marilyn August 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

I like my oatmeal thick, too, and I must have walnuts and fruit in it!

37 Erin August 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

I’m actually making your parmesan chicken burgers for dinner tonight! They’re so yummy :-)
Erin recently posted..Pinned in Pink

38 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm

The olympics are killing me too! I get hooked and then can’t stop watching! I need my sleep too so I’ve been so tired lately!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

39 Annette@FitnessPerks August 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I am TOTALLY dying from lack of sleep-thanks to the Olympics. Tonight I am going to be strong and just go to bed early. The end. ;)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Inside A Binge Eater’s Head

40 Shari August 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I’ve been up until midnight every night because of the Olympics, and even though it’s leaving me tired in the early mornings, I figure it’s totally worth it. After all, the Olympics only come around every two years … why not enjoy them?! :)
Shari recently posted..Going for Gold.

41 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life August 8, 2012 at 3:14 pm

OMG, I lucky to get in bed before 12:30 lately!! I’m just so entranced, I can’t turn them off! As much as I love them, I will be happy when they are over so I can go back to my normal sleeping routine!!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Feeling Off

42 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’m a late-to-bed person anyways – so the Olympics haven’t changed anything expect given me more to do at night. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Awkward Gym Noises.

43 Bek @ Crave August 9, 2012 at 2:10 am

Haha! Olympics does that to me too lately! We end up going to bed, putting the tv on and don’t want to switch it off.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Loving myself