Make Today Great

Well hey there, friends!

I’m comin’ atcha this morning from this lovely place…

Late yesterday afternoon, shortly after publishing my last post, out internet went out. I assumed it was just a quick little glitch, but it turns out our modem is old and a piece of crap (according to Jay) so we’re still without internet. Or shall I say, the world has stopped? Winking smile

I’m hoping we can get that straightened out later today, since I really sort of rely on the good ‘ol internet for the majority of my work. Ooof.

I had a client at 8am this morning, so once I was done working with her, I headed here to my favorite Starbucks to set up shop for a bit and have some breakfast. I did snack on a Clif Z Bar (recycled photo) to hold me over earlier, but I was more than ready to dive in to the good stuff.

The good stuff being overnight oats in a jar.

Along with my grande sweetened iced coffee, I thoroughly devoured my batch of overnight oats that I prepped last night.

Not much different from the usual…

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • blueberries
  • cinnamon & nutmeg
  • granola

Luckily, I set up a bit of a “wall” with my laptop and purse so I haven’t had to deal with too many double takes today. Winking smile

So I’m feeling like I have a lot on my mind today. Some stuff is weighing more heavily than others, and some stuff has just really got me thinking about quite a bit. Last night after Jay’s softball game, a bunch of us stayed and hung out, and we all got talking about a bunch of different stuff…life, relationships, work, etc.

I’ve now written and re-written the bottom of this post at least five times and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m just a total emotional scatterbrain today and don’t really even know what I’m thinking. I’m loony.

I guess everything just got me thinking about life in general. About how it’s just too short to be spent doing something that makes you miserable. About how we need to seize opportunities when they present themselves. About how we need to stop taking things for granted. And about how we need to stop focusing on what we don’t have and start making the most out of what we do have.

I’m sorry…I’m totally rambling today. This is sort of out of the norm for me, but I guess it’s what I’m feeling and I’m putting it out there. So I guess if there’s one thing you take away from me this morning (besides the fact that I’m a ball of emotions), try to take a minute today to really focus on the positive things in your life. If there’s something that’s bothering you – something negative – think about what you can do to make it better and act on it!

Alright, I think I’ve blabbered on long enough…I’ll be back to my normal self soon. Promise. Winking smile

For now, go do something to make today great.

I also had a feeling like this. My cousin died earlier this week and was only 16. And the things I stress about just don’t seem important anymore. I have a tendency of being too hard on myself, but like you said, we shouldn’t always focus on the negative and just appreciate our lives :)
    Rachel recently posted..The Hernia

Even though you felt like you were rambling, it turned out your message was a great reminder for me: “… focus on the positive things in your life. If there’s something that’s bothering you – something negative – think about what you can do to make it better and act on it!”

Thanks! I’m off to make today great! :)
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Cauliflower and Turnip Mash

3. Mireya says

I just wanted to say that I have loved your blog for so long and it honestly keeps getting better and better. You are so genuine and it’s SO refreshing. Have a great day! :)

4. Marilyn says

You are not blabbering!!! All the points you made are so true, and are things we need to remember about life. I can’t tell you how many times I have had that same conversations with others, and even with myself in my head when I am feeling down. One of my favorite sayings is, “Life is short. Eat dessert first”….life can change in a heartbeat , and we never know what is just around the corner, so I think what you are calling blabbering, is actually good advice to all of us who read your blog!

I feel like I have one of those days at least once a week, girl. Sooo, if you’re “loony” … I’m a freakin’ dingbat 😉

My internet was down this week too. The world DOES stop.
    Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Thankful

I definitely know the feeling. I have days like that a lot. I find it helps to write it all out (either on a blog :) or in a journal). I’m the type of person who keeps a lot bottled up, so writing it down is my way of getting it off my chest. And I also think it’s important to remind yourself of the positive things in life. A friend of mine recently did 28 acts of kindness on her 28th birthday. It was so inspiring that I’ve decided to try and do at least one random act of kindness a day. Not only do you make someone else’s day, but it makes you that much happier in the process. Spreading a whole lot of positiveness around!
    Elaine recently posted..Blueberry Clafoutis

Ah everyone has the bucket of emotion days…it’s completely normal. I can’t image being without my internet but I do know the last time we had issues our guy said that our modem was outdated. Based on your story I’m replacing mine today! Thanks for the inspiration :)
    Renee recently posted..10 Lessons Learned From Quitting my Job

Thanks for the reminder :) It is so easy to take things for granted or feel like we are drowning in the endless monotony of life. Maybe being internet-less today will be a good time for reflection and clarity! (ps. I’ve been following your blog for a while now but this is the first time I’m commenting :))
    Rebecca recently posted..The Gift of Community

9. Danielle says

This post could not have come at a better time. I have been feeling the same way. I have been focusing on the negative and just this morning I decided to do something about it. I have not been feeling good about myself…time to make a change…I joined the gym this morning and threw away my pizza lunch…salad here I come…and this time I am sticking with it!!!!!!!

We girls have all had those days when we have a case of the ’emotional crazies’ :-) I think there are always going to be things that create stress & worry and for some reason that ‘stuff’ takes over and we forget to celebrate all the greatness in our lives! When I really sit down to think about it, the great things in my life far outweigh the negative!
    Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

I know what you are going with this. I suppose I am “random” and “looney” as well. But today I accept where I am at, and by accepting ME and not putting pressure for me to not feel this way, I am doing a fabulous thing…

Those are definitely some tough feelings – you will work your way through it!

I was weighed down with similar emotions for probably over a year when I was in a career that I wasn’t passionate about and didn’t make me happy. It wasn’t until I finally decided to quit and change direction that I felt better.

Have a great day, Courtney – you deserve it!
    Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Venison Meatballs with Roasted Vegetable Sauce

13. Allison says

I loved this post! I’ve been an emotional wreck too for reasons I don’t even understand myself. My family and friends always tell me that I am too hard on myself but I never agree with them until I look at Facebook or read blogs and see the wonderful things people experience and think “why can’t I have that? ” I realize I dwell on too many of the negatives in my life that may not even seem that bad too most people. I need to focus on the positives and make the most out of my experiences

14. Taylor says

Your posts (and YOU) are so inspiring, Courtney – I thank you so much for being a light in my life, though you probably don’t even know you are and that 100% sounds super creepy hahaha- I’m getting back to responding to your last email ASAP – I’m sorry it’s taken me so long!

Keep being the beautiful, inspirational person that you are.

Well said Courtney. I think we all take our relationships for granted and don’t realize how much someone means to us unless something bad happens. Thanks for the reminder :)

P.S – the iced oatmeal zbar is sooo good – a staple in my book 😉
    Kailey recently posted..Simply the Best

16. Cristin says

Know that we are all best friends here 😉 all we love you no matter how scattered you feel. I hope everything is ok & thank you for being such a great part of the blog world

It’s funny you posted this–I’ve been contemplating whether or not I’m satisfied with where I’m at in my life. My husband was just asking me last night if I’d ever consider going back to school because the job I’m at isn’t something that I feel fulfilled doing. Your post has me thinking that I might be doing some research a little later today… 😉
    Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..This or That: Health and Fitness

• says

just a little push maybe. i finally decided to quit my job and go back to school. it’s scary. you think “i can’t do it” whether it be financially or mentally, but let me tell you, i am WAY happier now. my job made me miserable and i am finally doing something for ME. and trust me. you can always make it work. especially if you have a good support.
      Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Darbi

18. Holly says

I just wanted to tell you – in the past month or so, you have quickly become my favorite blogger. It’s not one thing specifically – it’s not only your writing style, your layout, your pictures – but also your openness. And you are just so relatable! You are a personal trainer but you don’t have this hard core, excercise ten times a day, only drink smoothie lifestyle.
    I’m recovered from anorexia and my husband and I are trying to have children. My doctor told me although I am at a healthy weight, I need to gain a bit more – and eat a LOT more fats. Those still are scary to me. Seeing what you are going through and that YOU can do it is very inspiring. So thank you.

I think we all days like that and I have been doing some thinking lately on some aspects of my life (ok, really just one…my job) and what I want to do. I have a small opportunity that I should really jump but I’m scared….terrified is more the word, that I’ll mess up and that I don’t fully know what I’m doing and how to start.

Thank you for this post, it was something I needed today and you have got me thinking, and in a good way!
    Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Celebrity Look-A-Likes

20. Karen says

I wonder if taking a step back from the whole “healthy living blogging thing” might actually make you feel a little more positive and fulfilled on life! Don’t get me wrong, I love reading about your thoughts and days because you are so relateable and interesting but there is only so much photographing of food and documenting workouts that one person can do. I feel sad for other bloggers that focus on that, as there is so much more to life, relationships and families. Time to live for you and not live for pictures and posts for other people’s entertainment!

• says

i completely agree with this! i love the food blogging word, i have met so many amazing people, but at the same time it almost forces us to focus on “are we being healthy enough” “are we as healthy as this person” “omg they eat way less/better and exercise more than me, should i?” i think we all just need to focus on living OUR lives and being happy and content with that.
      Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Darbi

• says

Really agree too, I love your blog, Courtney, as you know but sometimes I worry that the focus of healthy eating and working out can overshadow other parts of life that are equally important to being happy on the inside! Like the occasional blow-out – too many cocktails, a lie-in, a good book or whatever… or I don’t know, even a good row with a someone you love! Sometimes letting go of what’s perfect, is hard, but I think it’s important to all of us… I’m trying… I confess I sometimes have to take a break from healthy living blogs as the temptation to compare or be too hard on myself… life is messy sometimes I admire anyone who has the courage to share the honest truth, the rough parts as well as the good, am working on my braveness in that department – hopefully I’ll get there one day..!
          Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..A Little Hello from Miles

21. Kristin says

I feel the same way Courtney. Sometimes I wish I could quit my job and do something I am passionate about. But the thougth of losing the paycheck is so scary. Hopefully one day I’ll be brave enough to make the change. I love your blog and you are so inspiring. Thank you :-)

one thing i’ve actually gotten good at and has really improved my attitude is to always be positive. we all have troubles, we all have stress, but why dwell on it? it is what it is. if it is something we can change, we can work to change it, but if anything look at the positive side of things. if you think about all the things going wrong, or the stresses, turn it around and think of all the good things you have in your life. the ones that love you, your support, your health, friends family. there is so much positive in our lives, why waste it on thinking about the negatives!

so what a great thing to say. make today great! because in all honesty there is greatness in everyday!!
    Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Darbi

Ah I am sorry you are feeling emotional. I go through bouts of that from time to time, but I am glad you are having a positive outlook to whatever is eating at you. Thanks for the great reminder to keep our head up all the time!

This post was so relevant to me and a conversation I had last night with my fiancé! I can 100% relate and I promise I will focus on the positive today :) you should too !!

The POSITIVE thing is that you might be so emotional because your hormones are doing their thang! I’ve also been trying to focus on the positive which is why I challenged myself to keep a gratitude journal for the month of August. I often think of things that I am grateful for but writing it down seems to have an even bigger impact. No matter how stressful my day is, I can always think of at least three things that I am grateful for!

26. Kristen says

Sosrt of a random question… is there anywhere to purchase Almond Butter for under $10? Or is it just a luxury grocery?

• Kristin says

Not sure if there is a Costco around you but they sell a big jar for about $5 (at least at the one in Texas I shop at) :)

27. Kate says

Girl, this is exactly what I needed to hear! ( lol) I’ve been in a little funk recently and there is no reason why I should be. I have a great life, sure there are things that could be better…but I am very lucky. I was just thinking this morning how I need to focus more on the positives and then boom, I read your post! Definitely a sign that I’m on the right track… thank you! :)

You may think you were rambling, but I love when you open up on the blog! I have days like that where things just feel… scrambled. I’m all over the place, things aren’t going right, I’m not doing enough. And all it takes is a step back to realize how truly fortunate I am and to think about the great and wonderful things I have going for me. Sometimes we get caught up in the minor details and forget to think about the big picture.

P.S. I’m so excited to meet you at HLS this weekend!!! :)

29. Meg L. says

You just verbalized the exact feelings that I am going through today. I am unhappy with my job and have a husband that will soon be deploying that is also making me upset. Although I’m sure what’s bothering us in life are completely different – your resolve to seize the moment, stop doing things that make us miserable and be grateful for what I have in life is exactly the solution I needed.

Thank you.

Thank you thank you thank you! There have been some heavy things weighing on my mind lately in terms of work/jobs/grad schol and what makes me happy. You are SO right- life is short and you gotta live like there is no tomorrow. Thanks, Courtney!
    kaylie recently posted..A Healthy Frappuccino!

Not rambling at all! This is a great post and makes so much sense. I tell myself this everyday. If we approach things in a negative way, life just ends up passing us by. Before we know it, we are one miserable puppy.
    I was just like this yesterday, someone said something and it reminded me of what kind of circumstances we can find ouselves in and I just wanted to cry.
    The modem went out at my house about a month ago and I didn’t know what was going on!! The modem was an antique, so a new one was put in! It was rather nice to unplug that night. 😉

I love those ‘heart to heart’ talks that last forever. They are the best. (I think) As long as you come away feeling BETTER about things. I hope that’s how it ended up being.
    Honestly, I agree with some of the comments above, when I stepped away from the whole ‘healthy living blog’ world, I ended up feeling MUCH better. Of course I still read my favorites (like yours :) ), but it’s nice to kind of take a step back & really look at everything…is comparing myself to so & so making my life better? Is being SO concerned with every ounce of food really making my life better? Obviously it wasn’t, and I am thankful that I realized that. I just needed a break. Ya, I may get back into blogging eventually, but I just needed some “me” time & more time with my hubby :)
    Now I’m not necessarily recommending what I did is what you need to do, but I hope that you can find what is really bothering you!
    Holly recently posted..The REAL Stuff.

I think it’s one of those days.. I was feeling the same way today! Just remember that life has constant ups and downs. You can’t always be happy all of the time, meaning you won’t always feel down all of the time. Good things are just around the corner! :)
    Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Taking A Long Walk

Courtney, its fine! Your ramblings make sense! I like how you said that “how we need to stop taking things for granted. And about how we need to stop focusing on what we don’t have and start making the most out of what we do have.” Boy, that is a message all of us need to take to heart. I think many of us are not satisfied because we live in such a materialistic society! If we would only take the time to slow down and live with an attitude of gratitude, we could enjoy life much more!
    Monique Hawkins recently posted..Post Pregnancy Belly Fat-Why Snacks Rule!

I have been feeling like a hot mess of emotions lately too! It does make you take things into perspective and change things that you need. It also helps you be grateful for the good things in your life. I think I have been feeling this way lately because I am nearing 30 and that’s scary. But age is just a number, I need to focus on being happy and things that make my life exactly what I want it to be. Happy, healthy and a dose of a hot mess!
    Jen recently posted..One more move…..

36. Karleen says

Every is allowed to feel emotional and scatterbrained. It happens. I’m sure you have a lot on your plate right now and hope you have a feet retreat this weekend! If I had the $ I would totally go!!

I have been feeling the exact same way lately. I had my own little rant on my blog today too. Things always seem to pile up and it can certainly be unbearable. I love your attitude and I hope I can handle my current issues with that much grace and positivity. :-)
    Katy recently posted..It’s Raining, It’s Pouring…

Hahah I love that you pack your own breakfast in a jar 😛 I love the bottom section of your post! I know I definitely need a reminder about how precious life is and how we have to make the most of it! I have been having some issues with my mum lately and you’ve just made my mind up- I am going to have some quality time with her tonight :) Thanks Courtney (again!)
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..OUCH!

I just caught up on this post today, and have to agree!! We shouldn’t be taking our lives for granted and really live up every moment in this life and stop dwelling on the small things! Life is such a beautiful thing and it is really too short to stress the little issues we may face. Just bring a positive intention to every day!
    Lisa recently posted..The Simple Things-The Rest