Fashion Friday: How To Wear White After Labor Day

by Courtney on August 17, 2012

Hi, everyone! I’m Colleen from Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill and I’m here to share another fashion post with you. In case you missed it, I posted about my walk-in closet with DIY tips a few weeks ago, and now I’m back for another Fashion Friday. (Thanks again to everyone who sent me their email addresses for CollegeFashionista!)

clip_image001

When Courtney emailed me to ask if I’d be interested in doing another guest post, I was on a covert operation and was being rebellious (not really). As my sister was distracting the security guard at the F.I.T Museum, I discreetly photographed the vintage Louboutins in the Fashion A-Z exhibit.

clip_image002

I’ve always been one to break the rules, so it seemed fitting that I write about breaking a major fashion rule: wearing white after Labor Day.

The age-old myth has become just that—a myth—in recent years. In middle school, when wearing the wrong-colored Ralph Lauren polo was practically social suicide, I cleared my wardrobe of all white pieces as soon as the calendar turned to September. On the Tuesday following Labor Day, I always wondered why so many girls came to school in white shorts—did they not read Teen Vogue?! Maybe I was just bitter that my dad wouldn’t let me walk out of the house wearing itty-bitty Abercrombie skirts, but I religiously adhered to the rule as a twelve year old.

Now that I no longer run the risk of being subjected to the ridicule of immature boys (and don’t solely base my fashion choices off of glossy magazines), I’ve come to realize that white can be worn well into the cooler months. The key is to seamlessly transform your summer whites into fall ensembles.

Not only do chambray and eyelet pair perfectly together, but a button-up is an easy change from your typical cardigan. I actually wore an outfit that was very similar to this one a few days ago (you can see the look on my Instagram), and it was cute enough for a brunch date with a friend. Because eyelet is a true summer fabric, I would suggest only wearing this look through September—or until the temperatures significantly drop.

clip_image003

There’s something so chic about a great pair of white jeans; they can be dressed up or dressed down. To create a more fall-appropriate outfit, avoid pairing white jeans with pastel and neon hues and opt for reds, oranges, and dark purples instead. Navy can work, but skip the stripes as it creates a nautical look which screams summer. Add bold accessories to draw attention away from the pants.

clip_image004

If you’ve already put away the majority of your sundresses and are itching to pull out your boots, try a white sheer top with a corduroy skirt. The juxtaposition of fabrics is ideal as it follows both the weather and the calendar.

clip_image005

The only downside to prolonging our white wardrobe? We still have to be careful about ketchup stains for a few more months.

Have you always worn white after Labor Day or will it be a new trend that you are trying this year?

1 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I very rarely wear white at all – whenever I do, I will inevitably end up eating spaghetti or nachos. Then it just doesn’t end well for me. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Maybe, Just Maybe I’ll Be a Morning Person.

2 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I don’t own a ton of white! And as silly as it is, I usually follow the no white after Labor Day rule. I think I’d feel most comfortable breaking the rule if it were a white top as opposed to pants!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 23

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 17, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love white year-round – I wouldn’t wear white on white, but especially for classic pieces – like a blouse – I never give it a second thought.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Asking For a Favor – And A Giveaway!

4 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Since I live in Florida it’s hot year round and I wear white often – I’ve never obeyed that (or any other ) fashion rule!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Sick and Happy

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I lived in Florida all through college and grad school … and since it felt like summer all year round, pretty much everyone wore white all year round. So I’ve never really thought too much about it. But I really like some of the looks you’ve shared … very cute! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A change of pace!

6 Amanda @Live.Laugh.Learn August 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I have been turning my nose up at the chambray trend but I love your look! Even though we’re moving into Fall I think I might have to indulge! ;)
Amanda @Live.Laugh.Learn recently posted..Bucket List of Sorts

7 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill August 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Try finding a chambray shirt that has a darker wash–it’s much more versatile! I have two and I can get away with wearing my darker chambray shirt year-round. Pair it with cords and boots in the fall and you’ll be good to go!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Barbies and Sprinkles

8 Amanda @Live. Laugh. Learn. August 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thank you for the suggestion! Now it’s time to go shopping!
Amanda @Live. Laugh. Learn. recently posted..Bucket List of Sorts

9 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath August 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Love these tips–I usually wear white in moderation after Labor Day (no full white dresses or entire white outfits for me though).
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Feeling Fit Friday!

10 Liz @ iheartvegetables August 17, 2012 at 11:44 pm

My only reservation to wearing white is more because I’m messy ;) haha
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Protein Powder Reviews

11 Shannon August 18, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I’ve always abided to the “no white after Labor Day rule”. I don’t know why it truly exists. Maybe I should break that rule this year and be a rebel.

12 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill August 19, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I think it was a way to show status–those who could afford it would switch their clothing by season. White was often worn by those who had summer homes because it was cooler and the clothes were generally made from linen.
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Dating in New York City

13 Kandice Zisk August 22, 2012 at 3:23 am

This is perfect combination of outfit. You give me a wonderful idea what to pair to get an awesome look.
Kandice Zisk recently posted..Increase your Sexual Performance Naturally

14 Camping Gear March 13, 2013 at 8:56 am

We stumbled over here different web page and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to finding out about your web page again.

15 Dish internet July 6, 2013 at 4:59 am

Thank you for any other great post. Where else may anyone
get that type of info in such an ideal way of writing?
I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the look for such information.
Dish internet recently posted..Dish internet

16 empower network September 16, 2013 at 7:54 am

We absolutely love your blog and find a lot of
your post’s to be what precisely I’m looking for.
Does one offer guest writers to write content for you personally?

I wouldn’t mind composing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write with regards to here.
Again, awesome web site!
empower network recently posted..empower network

17 blog beast empower network September 29, 2013 at 8:37 am

Excellent weblog here! Also your site a lot up very fast!
What web host are you using? Can I get your associate hyperlink in your host?
I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol
blog beast empower network recently posted..blog beast empower network