Perfect, Quick, and Simple

by Courtney on August 20, 2012

Well hello there!

If this is your first time stopping by the blog after this weekend, then welcome! I hope you’ll stick around for a while and check out all the fun we like to have up in here…whether you’re checking out a recipe, in need of a new workout, feel like browsing some fashion chat, or maybe looking into online personal training…there’s all sorts of fun happening!

If this isn’t your first time stopping by STSL, well then a very special thank you goes out to you for deciding to come back and hang with me once again. You know I love ya.

And no matter which boat you fall into, here’s a little recap of some of the fun that went down this weekend at the Healthy Living Summit…

I still have a few recaps left up my sleeve, so I’ll be sure to share them all with ya soon. But first, let’s rewind a bit to last night.

By the time I actually got home (after encountering some crappy traffic) and got unpacked, I really wasn’t in much of a mood to cook anything. I realized we still had some leftover chopped chicken in the fridge, so I mixed up some chicken salad for Jay and I to share.

I didn’t end up measuring anything but it turned out SO good. The chicken salad included…

• chicken
  • plain Chobani
  • honey mustard
  • onion
  • celery
  • red bell pepper
  • avocado (lots of it!)
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder, and basil

I served it along with some naan that I picked up at Trader Joe’s a couple of weeks ago (umm, that stuff is delicious!), and it made for a perfect, quick and simple dinner.

*****

As I was unpacking some of my weekend’s swag this morning, I came across this brand new box of Erewhon Supergrains Buckwheat & Hemp cereal. Word on the street is that it’s so new it isn’t even on store shelves yet.

I was a little disappointed when I opened the box though…I mean, I get that cereal often settles during packaging, but there was less than half a box of cereal in there?!

Hey, it was free. I can’t complain. Winking smile

I decided to incorporate it into breakfast this morning, along with some Cascadian Farms Ancient Grains, Kashi Go Lean, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, chia seeds, and lots of blueberries and strawberries.

Gotta love starting the day with a killer cereal combo and a delicious glass of iced coffee.

Once this breakfast settles, I’m off to go walk a couple miles. Besides the short walk I went on yesterday morning, I haven’t really exercised since last Thursday and I’m really starting to get antsy.

Happy Monday, friends! How are YOU moving today?? Winking smile

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 20, 2012 at 9:06 am

I hate it when I open packaged food up and it looks almost empty! Just such a waste of packing materials!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Tarts + Crepes

2 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 20, 2012 at 9:09 am

TJ’s naan is so good!
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Blogger Meetup

3 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 20, 2012 at 9:15 am

It’s back to work full-time for me today! So I was up bright and early for a quick workout before heading into work. The kids start up on Thursday, so I have three days to get ready! Eek!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..M²T³ Event: Brown Bell Pepper Bites

4 Nicole @ Simply Nicole August 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’m going for a run today, after only doing 6 miles last week due to an injury. Time to get back on track!
Nicole @ Simply Nicole recently posted..Weekend recap (7/17- 7/19)

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 20, 2012 at 9:20 am

Wowee, that chicken salad sounds amazing! That’s annoying about the cereal… That seems to happen more times than not these days. Hopefully the taste made up for it! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..The 23 Calorie Workout

6 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 9:35 am

It was pretty good – wasn’t my favorite, but I’ll finish up the box ;)

7 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers August 20, 2012 at 9:21 am

oh my gosh, isn’t naan the JAM!?!?! i love that stuff. i cannot find it around here though. sad day. also sad? that we didn’t get to room together at HLS this year! i missed ya, my friend. sounds like it was a great weekend!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Celebrity Life Saver

8 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 9:37 am

Umm, YES. I’m going to need to buy about 100 more packages of it…
I missed you so much this weekend! Let’s please plan something so we get to see each other soooooon?!? I know Alyssa wants to do something! :)

9 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 20, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am so going to look for that Naan when I hit up Trader Joe’s next time. It looks SO good!! The chicken salad looks delicious, too but how can it not be with the addition of avocado!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Chobani Giveaway

10 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files August 20, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love the idea of putting avocado in chicken salad that sounds delicious..I haven’t tried trader joes naan bread but I am obsessed with their yellow curry simmer sauce that would go great with it!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..HLS Part 2: Crossfit + Sessions!

11 Jenny August 20, 2012 at 9:34 am

That chicken salad recipe sounds so much more appetizing than using mayo – v creative!
Jenny recently posted..Southwestern Baked Corn

12 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie August 20, 2012 at 9:34 am

That chicken salad looks really good and I didn’t realize they had naan at TJ’s! What don’t they have :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Bridal Shower and Bachelorette Party Time in Illinois

13 Kim@hungryhealthygirl August 20, 2012 at 9:36 am

Your chicken salad looks delish! I love avocado with chicken or tuna salad. Also good, is subbing cottage cheese for the yogurt. Your cereal bowl looks a lot like the one that I had this morning. Have a great one!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Don’t knock it till you try it!

14 Tara August 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

Yum! That cereal looks tasty :) and so does the chicken salad, I just bought some avocados myself and they are about ready to use!! Maybe I will do them up in a salad!

15 mandee August 20, 2012 at 9:55 am

so how was that new cereal?? it looked good–despite the half empty box (i hate that too!)

16 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

It was pretty good! Not my favorite, but I like it enough to finish up the box :)

17 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance August 20, 2012 at 9:56 am

I was out of town last week, so I’m getting back into my exercise groove too. About to go attempt a run in the Texas heat and humidity!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Whole Wheat Strawberry Banana Bread

18 Yellow Haired Girl August 20, 2012 at 10:05 am

That chicken salad looks fabulous!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..One For The Books

19 Alyssa August 20, 2012 at 10:07 am

That breakfast looks awesome – I love mixing chia seeds into cereal and oatmeal. Gives ya a lil energy!

Today I am gonna run 8 miles to train for my half marathon in a month so I am getting my electrolytes in alllll day :)
Alyssa recently posted..Why I Blog

20 Alison August 20, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yumm that dinner does look perfect! I love using avocado as a creamy sauce/dressing/whatever yummy thing it can be. I think I’m going to do a workout DVD today!

21 Rachel August 20, 2012 at 10:49 am

I hate when cereal does that! I feel got cheated lol
Rachel recently posted..MIMM #3

22 Alaina August 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

I was bummed about the lack in cereal too! I mixed it with some Kashi Honey Sunshine and it wasn’t bad. But I definitely wouldn’t eat it on it’s own.

It was nice meeting you at the cocktail party! :-)
Alaina recently posted..Date Night at 75 Chestnut

23 Khushboo August 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

I am sitting here kicking myself for not going out for a run earlier when it was cooler! It’s so hot right now- my planned run might turn into a walk which is fine by me…any movement > no movement!
Khushboo recently posted..Always Time for a Quickie: Tabatas

24 Shannon August 20, 2012 at 11:01 am

I’m not moving at all today. I got my wisdom teeth pulled a couple of hours ago. I’m taking it easy this week.

The cereal thing has got to be a big disappointment. :( Maybe the company doesn’t want to give too much of a sneak peek?

25 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

That TJ’s naan is the stuff dreams are made out of, right? I like to put a little bit of butter spread on it, and then toast it in the oven for a few minutes. DREAMY.
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Homemade RPM Workout + August Workout Playlist

26 Courtney August 20, 2012 at 11:14 am

That chicken salad look delicious! And naan? YUM!
Courtney recently posted..Fall Finds: Forever 21 and Express

27 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

That chicken salad looks delicious! I’ve never had naan, but that looks good, too!

I loved reading all of your HLS recaps, and I can’t wait to read the rest–make me wish I could have gone! Maybe someday…
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Motivation Monday: Team Maddy

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 20, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hm, a walk sounds pretty good right about now! I couldn’t head to the gym first thing this morning, so I sort of lost my motivation a bit. But, it’s nice and cool out, so maybe I’ll go take a stroll!

I love your idea of adding avocado into the chicken salad!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: Vega Energizing Smoothie

29 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I hate a half empty box too! I’m looking forward to trying out that cereal though and I was very excited it was gluten free! I got moving this morning by going to CrossFit! It felt great to be back after the weekend away!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday

30 michelle kim August 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I’ll be doing an Insanity workout and a couple miles on the treadmill this afternoon. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
michelle kim recently posted..Play Hard

31 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I did a shoulders/calves circuit workout followed by a 3.3 miles run – the first time I had broken a nine minute mile in a long time, so I was definitely pleased with this morning’s workout. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..That Could Lead to Some Jitters.

32 Kelsey Y. August 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Wish Duluth, MN had a TJ’s near by! Hoping to stop at one in the Twin Cities later this week!
I’m planning to do two workouts from my Jillian KickBox FastFix DVD, plus an almost 4-mile run!

33 Karen August 20, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Avocado in chicken salad? What a great idea!!

34 Bek @ Crave August 21, 2012 at 7:01 am

That breakky looks very colourful- well I moved alot yesterday with a step class, bike class and a body pump class! (Yesterday was monday for me haha)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Road to happiness

35 dcerosion August 23, 2012 at 5:54 am

Hoping to stop at one in the Twin Cities later this week!
dcerosion recently posted..conscious women in their teens a wonderfuld early twenties

36 @dressesau August 28, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I love your idea of adding avocado into the chicken salad!