Full of Tangents, Take 11

by Courtney on August 21, 2012

Holy moly – it’s already 3:30? Where the heck did today go? I’ve been running around so much that I completely lost track of time and didn’t get a chance to check back in with you all this afternoon. Yikes.

I’m feeling a bit all over the place today, with lots of random stuff to share…so you know what that means!

Full of Tangents, Take 11

(You can read Tangents Take 1, Take 2,Take 3, Take 4, Take 5, Take 6, Take 7, Take 8, Take 9, and Take 10 if you’re bored and feel like it).

• I came across these Pumpkin Spice Hershey Kisses at the store yesterday.

Now I’m actually starting to get excited about fall…but at the same time, I’m not ready to close the pool either. Hmmph.

• I was so incredibly thankful for the fact that I had my own car to drive home from HLS this weekend and didn’t have to worry about transportation.

Otherwise, I think I would have run in to a few snafus…

• For the past two days, I’ve been diggin’ snack plates that look similar to this one.

Ants on a log? You know it! When’s the last time you had some of those? Winking smile

• Another snack I had today? A chopped up banana with some peanut butter.

I think I was feeling very Tina-esque on that one. It’s a great snack.

• I painted my nails yesterday, which really should have done before I went away this weekend. Oops.

I picked up this bottle of Venique yesterday from the store that my mom gets all of her hair supplies from (love how much cheaper everything is there!). The color is called ‘Step in my Blade!’ and I love it.

• Cody has really taken a liking to my new desk.

He’s literally up here with my every day. And if he’s not laying down right there, he’s got his butt in my face right in front of the computer screen. Ohh, my little fur ball.

• Today is my mother-in-law’s birthday! Happy Birthday, Rosemary! Jay and I have our softball game tonight but I still wanted to be able to celebrate, so I offered to bake her a cake.

I’m getting a little bored with making cupcakes, and I couldn’t even tell you when the last time was I baked an actual cake. I was so excited to get right into this thing!

So the cake? Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. Oh yes. Similar to my favorite PB Cup Cupcakes…but better. WAY better.

I started with a box of devil’s food cake mix. Prepared it as directed, but also added in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips. Then, I made a batch of this peanut butter mousse filling, courtesy of my HLS roomie, Alicia.

On top of the layer of peanut butter mousse filling went about 6 chopped, fun size Reese’s pb cups, then the other layer of cake.

Once the cake was assembled, it was time to get it frosted. I used the recipe off the back of the Hershey’s cocoa powder box, which can be found HERE. Super easy to make.

To jazz it up a bit, I chopped up about five more peanut butter cups and (very carefully) added them along the sides of the frosted cake. Then I cut five more Reese’s pb cups in half and placed them around the top of the cake.

Voila. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cake.

Let’s just say that I’m hoping tonight’s softball game goes by REAL fast. Winking smile

1 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm

That cake looks amazing! Chocolate and peanut butter is the best combo.
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Quiet Weekend

2 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign August 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’m already on the hunt for Halloween candy even though August isn’t even over yet! Candy corn is my ultimate favorite. I’ve never tried the pumpkin spice kisses though! They sound delicious!

Love that nail polish color!

3 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

OH MY, that cake looks divine! Pretty please make my next birthday cake?
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Dear Anxiety

4 Melanie August 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm

If you wanna make me that cake for my birthday I would be okay with it! ;) Looks nummy!
Melanie recently posted..Cheers to New Friends: HLS Day 2

5 Lizzie August 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You know what is also delicious, similar to ants on a log? Instead of raisins use chia seeds… I call them “deer ticks on a log.” Gross name, but delicious.
Lizzie recently posted..The Most Colorful Non-Race Ever

6 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced August 21, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I love anything chocolate PB!!! I also have never seen those hershey kisses before but they look amazing!! Kind of like pumpkin spice lattes from starbucks.. one of the many reasons I love fall!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Changing Your Eating Habits…

7 Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat August 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Wow

8 Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat August 21, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Whoops that comment above was not supposed to post yet! :) What I was GOING to say was… That cake looks absolutely delicious!! I will definitely be trying this out next time I need to make a cake for something! Also, it was great to meet you briefly this weekend, you are just as gracious and beautiful as you come across on your blog!
Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat recently posted..Healthy Living Summit Recap

9 Sam @ The Real Pretty August 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Holy drool buckets! Well, I now know what type of cake I am making for my next occasion (aka the weekend). Looks delicious!
Sam @ The Real Pretty recently posted..The Most Handsome in All of the Land

10 Amanda August 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Anything with Reese’s cups win me over! I can’t wait until Fall so I can find the pumpkin shaped ones! This cake looks sooo yummy!
Amanda recently posted..Chocolate Cherry Protein Smoothie

11 Khushboo August 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm

My birthday’s June 4th..no pressure, just throwing it out there ;)!
Khushboo recently posted..Always Time for a Quickie: Tabatas

12 Sana August 21, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Holy CAKE!!!! That looks amazing :)
Sana recently posted..Wrap It.

13 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I just want to let you know that my birthday is September 18, and chocolate and peanut butter happens to be my favorite flavor combination. You know. Just in case you get a hankering to make this cake again. ;)
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Immobile

14 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third August 21, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Um…. That cake. Can you send me the leftovers pretty please??
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..LBI Bachelorette Weekend & A Giveaway!

15 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files August 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

OMG THAT CAKE. i can’t even handle how much i want to jump through the screen and eat it! for my friends birthday i made her a peanut butter cake with chocolate frosting that was amazing!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..HLS Part 2: Crossfit + Sessions!

16 Nicole August 21, 2012 at 4:00 pm

OMG, that cake. That looks incredible!

17 Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident August 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm

YUM! That cake looks to die for!! Props to you girl!!
Lydia @HappyHealthyConfident recently posted..T minus 10 days

18 Nicole August 21, 2012 at 4:16 pm

WOW pumpkin spice hersey kisses get in ma belly. And you are quite talented with that cake miss. Luckily reeses are my absolute favorite candy and my birthday is November 15th, mail me one? haha :)

19 Alicia August 21, 2012 at 4:19 pm

That cake looks delicious but I have to say I am more interested in those delicious looking snacks!
Alicia recently posted..Tuesday Gym Day!

20 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Those pumpkin spice hershey’s kisses are so freaking addicting! I love them and now I’m getting even more excited for fall :)
Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up and Weigh In

21 Steph @ StephSnacks August 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Oh my goodness that cake looks heavenly!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..A Weekend in Long Island

22 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm

That cake looks AMAZING! Wow.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..C25K Week 4 Recap

23 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit August 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm

That cake looks amazing. I want to eat it right now.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Happy Monday + Grilled sweet potatoes

24 Annette@FitnessPerks August 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I want to make that cake–only with skor bars or almond snickers (I don’t eat PB). Looks cool though–you made it look pretty!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Casein Almond Butter Mess + Skinny Bits Review

25 Brigitt August 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I could not put those pumpkin spice kisses down last year!!
Brigitt recently posted..Peach Cocktail: Peach Fizz

26 Cait @ Beyond Bananas August 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ants on a Log! Love them. I went through a phase when I was all about those recently! :)

And that cake looks delicious!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..One Happy Island – Aruban Accommodations

27 Megan@ The Running Doc August 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

That cake looks AMAZING!!
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Pinterest Favorites

28 Alison August 21, 2012 at 5:43 pm

HOLY MOLY that cake looks GREAT. :) I’m going through a peanut butter obsession stage (but then again, when am I not?) so that just looks fantastic!

29 Ashlee August 21, 2012 at 5:53 pm

That cake looks delicious :) good job with it!
Good luck at your game.

30 Presley @ Run Pretty August 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

That cake looks ridiculous! (In a great way, of course.)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Back to Reality

31 Alysia @ Slim Sanity August 21, 2012 at 6:55 pm

love the nail polish. and I want to demolish that cake…yummm!!!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..arms like jello

32 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 21, 2012 at 7:53 pm

And now I want a peanut butter cup!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Peach Muffins

33 Rachel August 21, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Cake looks great!!!

34 Chase August 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm

WOW that cake looks awesome! I love peanut butter and chocolate together so this is right up my alley.
Chase recently posted..Ich habe eine Protein Bar.

35 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I seriously feel my pants getting tighter just looking at that cake!!! My husband would be all OVER that……I will definitely be keeping this one in the back of my mind for when I really need to impress!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Surpisingly Good Subway Salad

36 Laura August 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I usually don’t curse, but HOLY SHIT, that cake!! You could open up a bakery with your skills. A bakery that also offers personal training,, ha!

37 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Super fancy cake! Nice work! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Tuesday Things

38 Danica @ It's Progression August 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Holy cow that cake looks amazing!!!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Why I Love Morning Workouts

39 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 21, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Considering my obsession with all things chocolate and peanut butter – I can’t even tell you how good this looks. I might be drooling a little bit.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Wouldn’t-Believe-It’s-Healthy-Lasagna.

40 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family August 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I can not wait for pumpkin spice lattes to come out! My daughters pre-k is right next to DD so you know where I’ll be every mon, wed, fri! Last time i had ants on a log was last week :). We eat it all the time!

41 Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts August 22, 2012 at 3:30 am

Wow. That cake just looks like perfection!

42 Miz August 22, 2012 at 6:27 am

ADORE the tangenting.
and those KISSES.
they vanish rapidly up in herre :-)
Miz recently posted..S.L.A.P.: the power of a personal catchphrase.

43 Sarah @ Practice Princess August 22, 2012 at 7:22 am

Cody looks so cute on your desk, makes me miss our cat Miles – he hasn’t been around much on my desk lately, he’s decided to spend his summer out in the garden all day sunbathing, usually very ungraciously with his paws in the air! That’s cats I guess they do their own thing, hopefully he’ll return :)
Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..Recreational Rosiness

44 Alicia August 22, 2012 at 8:01 am

I can not believe how much it feels like fall in the mornings already!! I saw Halloween candy in the grocery store yesterday! I hope you liked the peanut butter mousse filling- I remember that being veryy yummy!
Alicia recently posted..Healthy Living Summit 2012: Saturday!

45 Shari August 22, 2012 at 8:59 am

Love the nail polish!!
Shari recently posted..Disappearing Act.

46 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 22, 2012 at 9:31 am

That cake looks INCREDIBLE!!! Can I have a slice? Maybe you should consider opening a bakery on the side too? ;)
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Weekend Recap

47 Jolynn August 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Wow! That cake looks amazing! suuuper rich but amazing nonetheless ;)
Jolynn recently posted..Lemon Pepper Baked Salmon

48 Bek @ Crave August 23, 2012 at 2:01 am

That cake looks awesome! I think you should have dedicated an entire post just to it ;) I don’t think I want to even think about making it- I just can tell it’s one of those things you just HAVE to constantly taste test and somehow manage to get half of the batter/frosting/peanut butter/peanut butter cups all over your hands…which again- end up in your mouth ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Reason & justification

49 Trisha August 23, 2012 at 4:59 pm

That cake looks absolutely DIVINE!
Trisha recently posted..Thirsty Thursday: Gloria Skinny Jeans

50 Amy August 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm

What store did you find the pumpkin spice hershey kisses at? I have been looking for them but haven’t been able to find them yet! I would love it if you could let me know :)

51 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

My local Price Chopper had them!

52 Amy August 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm

oh okay! I’ll just check out target and what not to see what I can find :) Thanks so much!
Amy recently posted..Where to begin…