That Little Chill

by Courtney on August 22, 2012

Good news…the cake was a success! And I think for the first time ever, the entire cake got eaten, which made me so very happy.

I really wish I had grabbed my camera to take a picture of it once it was sliced, but judging by all of your birthday requests, it looks like I may have to make that bad boy more than once. Winking smile

The funny part about it was that our whole softball team was sat on the bleachers after the game (which we lost, boo) at about 9:30pm and ate it there. A little different, right? But super fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed my piece, but I think I’m now peanut buttered OUT for a little while. Whew.

*****

Workout

First thing this morning, I pulled out the yoga mat and got in a really great workout.

I was originally planning on doing a yoga DVD, but I was really in the mood for some core, glute, and hip work so I flipped on our Sportskool channel on tv and was lucky enough to come across a Core Yoga Pilates video.

The video was 58 minutes long, and I totally loved it. It was very low impact and I never broke a sweat (partially because our windows were open and the mornings around here are absolutely awesome), but I could really feel the burn. Very similar to the Rock Bottom class I took a few times. I loved the change of pace, and I think I’ll probably be adding this workout into the weekly rotation.

Post-workout, it was breakfast tiiiiime.

That little chill in the air this morning was enough to prompt me to make a hot pot of coffee. When I’m drinking coffee at home, I’ve realized I actually enjoy it hot more than iced, but if I’m getting it out, I like iced better. That weird?

For breakfast, I went with a bowl of Mixed Berry French Toast Oatmeal.

Filled with lots and lots of strawberries and blueberries, and topped with some Love Grown Foods granola.

I don’t know…first the pumpkin spice Hershey kisses, now the comforting, hot breakfast? I think I may be starting to crave some fall-like weather more than I thought.

Question for the Morning:

What’s your ideal weather? Hot? Cold?

I’m actually loving it right now – I like mid-high 70’s or 80 during the day with cooler evening temps in the 50’s. Perfect for snuggling. Winking smile

1 Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries August 22, 2012 at 9:26 am

It depends on what I’m doing — when I’m running, my favorite temperature is 65 to 70. But if I’m just hanging out outside, I like the high 70s and 80s, too!

PS – I had no doubt your cake would be well-received. It’s chocolate and PB, for goodness sakes! :)
Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries recently posted..Recipe: Classic Garlic Hummus

2 Alex @ Brain, Body, Because August 22, 2012 at 10:12 am

High 70s for me, too! I gotta move to LA ;)
Alex @ Brain, Body, Because recently posted..Hiking and Produce

3 Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries August 22, 2012 at 10:23 am

Haha! I’m working on that, too—Iowa winters aren’t cutting it for me!
Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries recently posted..The Great Paleo Debate

4 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third August 22, 2012 at 9:27 am

I usually love hot weather, but recently I’ve really been craving that cool fall weather! Can’t wait :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..W.I.A.W: The summer is winding down!!

5 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love the heat! Bring it on ;)
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Weekend Recap

6 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

Cool weather inside – hot weather outside. I’m definitely ready for fall now.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..C25K Week 4 Recap

7 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 22, 2012 at 9:32 am

I’ll have to find that workout online – it looks perfect for my low-impact days!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Mini Crustless Quiche with Orange Fennel Salad

8 Michelle Hunt August 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hot! But idea of hot is a lot cooler than your idea! The hottest day we’ve had here all summer was 28C! It’s now about 18C…25C would be perfect, warm balmy breeze!
Michelle Hunt recently posted..A couple of days late

9 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’m so bad with temperature conversions, lol…what would that be in Fahrenheit? ;)

10 Michelle Hunt August 22, 2012 at 10:32 am

Ha me too…I had to Google it! 28C is 82F and 18C is 64F but we’ll be back down at about 50F in a couple of weeks!
Michelle Hunt recently posted..A couple of days late

11 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

The perfect weather would be high 60′s to low 70′s in the am and low to mid 80′s in the afternoon!! I live in a very HOT climate so I am always a bit jealous of those who get the 80′s in the Summer. Of course, in the Winter I am happy to be planted in the South!!

I agree with the coffee!! Iced coffee is better purchased and hot coffee is better made at home. I wonder why that is?!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Flexitarian Diet and WIAW #10

12 elizabeth | notes, quotes & anecdotes August 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

haha! i’ve never really thought about it before, but i’m the exact same way with coffee :) iced on the road and a hot mug at home! maybe because home is cozy and on the go i like something more convenient i can sip through a straw? no clue!

13 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:20 am

I think I’d most definitely have to agree with you on this one! :)

14 Connie August 22, 2012 at 9:35 am

i love when the temperature is in the 70s during the day with cool nights as well!! i feel like it’s quickly turning into fall cause i could’ve sworn it was like 95 degrees recently and now it has cooled off so much! yay i can’t wait for more pumpkin in my life.

15 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:20 am

I was *this close* to putting pumpkin in my oatmeal this morning ;)

16 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie August 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

I am the same way with coffee — hot at home because it’s comforting and I like sitting on the couch and enjoying it. Outside the house, iced to get me moving and refreshed :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Wednesday Ramblings and The Art of Fielding

17 Brynn August 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love buying iced coffee and brewing it hot at home as well. Strange.
Brynn recently posted..Fifth Annual Leland Weekend

18 kim@hungryhealthygirl August 22, 2012 at 9:39 am

That cake looks amaaaaaazzzzing!! I’m with you on the hot/cold coffee thing. I guess we’re just weird that way! ;) My ideal weather is in the 70′s and then a little cooler at night, like 50′s……perfect weather!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..day 4 back-to-school snacks, Brownies & WIAW

19 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 22, 2012 at 9:39 am

That workout video sounds like a good one!!

My favorite temps are in the fall here in Utah… the evenings and morning are chilly in the 50′s to 60′s and the days are in the mid to high 70′s. It sounds like we have pretty similar tastes in our weather preferences. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #48: In A Perfect World

20 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:21 am

Yes, I think you’d really like it!
We need to chat again soon – I’m having a rough week :(

21 kelsey August 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

I found myself in a debate with someone complaining of shorter days. But shorter days = Fall= Halloween!!! It took every ounce of my will power not to buy everything in the Halloween section of the craft store.

22 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

Which means candy corn nails!!!! :-D

23 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction August 22, 2012 at 10:00 am

I am the same way you are – I like the weather in the 70s during the day then in the 50s at night. I like to sleep when it is cool.
I love fall weather :) It is my favorite season because of the weather and all the pumpkin things.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Naptime?

24 Lindsey August 22, 2012 at 10:02 am

While I love hot summer days, I think my favorite is fall when you get cooler mornings and evenings but still the warm sun in the afternoon.
Lindsey recently posted..A Special Shake

25 Shannon August 22, 2012 at 10:04 am

I like cool temperatures in the morning- 50s to 60s- and I feel that nice cool breeze through the living room window on my legs as I’m typing this comment. I can’t get enough of it! :)

In the daytime, I like 70s- low to mid. When it gets into the 80 degree mark to up to 90 degrees, I start to hate Mother Nature. A lot.

When I woke up, I immediately thought of your Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup cake. I’m happy that it turned out to be a success. I mean, when are your baked goods ever NOT a success?!?

26 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hahaha….I have had some baking flops in the past!

27 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 22, 2012 at 10:20 am

I just wrote a post about yoga–isn’t is awesome?!?

Ideal weather: hot!!! I’m not looking forward to another Chicago winter. :(
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Why I Now Love Yoga

28 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson August 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

I am jealous of your temps! I love that kind of weather or colder. I’m a snow girl! Bring it on and lots of it. Sadly, Savannah never has snow. The last time it snowed was a little over 2 years ago and before that was nothing but flurries. They say the last time it snowed here and stuck to the ground was close to 20 years ago. That’s CRAZY! I must move. hahaha!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Oh My Knee and Speed Work

29 Khushboo August 22, 2012 at 10:29 am

Peanut buttered out??? Can we still be friends ;)!
Khushboo recently posted..Eating healthily on board

30 Courtney August 22, 2012 at 10:33 am

Hahaha, yes. I don’t expect it to last more than 24 hours ;)

31 Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well August 22, 2012 at 10:30 am

I’m the same way when it comes to ordering coffee on the go. I think that when I’m out and about I want it cold so I can drink and get back to getting errands done (it’s always piping hot when you get it from coffee shops and takes forever to cool). When at home I want a hot brew to cuddle in a blanket with or sit in the sun on the porch and relax.

My ideal weather? Mornings in the high 50′s/low 60′s (perfect for running) and then a high of 80 for the day. We’ve had a few days like that lately and I love it!
Amber at Love, Laugh, Live Well recently posted..One of the best things we’ve done….Rock Climbing in West Virginia!

32 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

Fall is my favorite season because I love the slight chill in the air that makes putting on a sweater and drinking a hot cup of coffee absolutely perfect. It’s definitely not warm weather (though I do enjoy it) but one reason I’m leaving SoCal is because I NEED weather changes!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW / Chocolate Banana Protein Muffins

33 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

Love the heat, just not when I’m in the mood for baking!! The cake looks fabulous! I rarely make cake, probably because I would eat it all!!

34 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers August 22, 2012 at 10:41 am

Oh, I forgot to tell you I have been making your oatmeal and oh my gosh I love it! I can’t get enough of it!! Thanks for a great recipe!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Skinny Chocolate Raspberry Frappe

35 Alison August 22, 2012 at 10:42 am

I am so excited for fall!! Sweaters and boots alllll the way.
I usually prefer cold over hot but this year (since our AC broke down) I think that might be changing…I’m getting used to hot weather.
Nevertheless, the weather here has been PERFECT. Just went outside to check the mail and the temperature is just right, it barely felt like I stepped outside!

36 Steph @ StephSnacks August 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

I’m absolutely loving the weather right now. My favorite weather is during September and October for sure!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

37 Andrea @ Vegvacious August 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

For me, this is the perfect kind of weather. Warm days, cool nights. I definitely have found myself turning the oven on more often for dinner!

…oh and that cake?? Hello Awesome!!!!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday Goes Green!

38 Rachel August 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

I have Raynauds so I’m always cold, but I do love the cooler weather– I love wearing sweat pants and sweat shirts haha
Rachel recently posted..This or That

39 Katie August 22, 2012 at 11:06 am

I used to love hot weather, but lately I’m all about 60 degree weather and rain. Feels soooo good.
Katie recently posted..Stick to a Workout Schedule Like a Champ

40 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 22, 2012 at 11:11 am

I prefer the warmer months, but I am loving the weather we’ve been having lately. It has definitely cooled down quite a bit during the day and my evening walks with my pug are nice and cool!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Peach Muffins

41 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 22, 2012 at 11:16 am

Courtney I am seriously (seriously) impressed with your mad cake skills. Add me to the list of birthday cakes to make?? :)

I also did some yoga today…but about 1/2 way into the class I found myself completely over it, and left :-/ I guess you’ll have those days.
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday–Feeling Fruity

42 Claire August 22, 2012 at 11:20 am

I used to think I would always love hot weather until I moved to Florida! Now I’m a little sad thinking that I won’t have a legit fall like I’m used to up North. That cake looks amazing!

43 Chelsea @ http://glttrandsweat.blogspot.com August 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love Hershey’s Pumpkin Kisses!! Pumpkin is my favorite, Love Fall :) I love cold weather. Perfect for snuggling :) But I also have an easier time staying warm than cool, or maybe I just can tolerate the cold better haha
Chelsea @ http://glttrandsweat.blogspot.com recently posted..New Names!!

44 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions August 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

I completely agree with you on ideal weather. These past few days have been absolutely perfect in Chicago — sunny, high 70s, but 50s at night. I’m in love. Unfortunately, I think that’s all only going to last through like today or tomorrow before the heat and humidity return…boo :(
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Immobile

45 Jess@atasteofconfidence August 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

Wow that looks delicious! I really need to get cake pans so I can take on some of those recipes.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Why “Oh, you look great!” can backfire

46 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I NEED to keep an eye out for those hershey kisses – I love those kisses in any form, but pumpkin spice just sounds awesome.

I love hot weather! While autumn is a nice break, I’m already dreading winter/snow.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..ED Talk – Are Memoirs Helpful or Triggering?

47 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

That cake looks so incredible! I love Reese’s!!! I love the summer but that little chill in the air is okay in the beginning of fall! When it starts to get cold though I hate it!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I ate Wednesday

48 kaylie August 22, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I am with you on the weather- I love it when it is sunny and in the mid 70s or low 80s! But I also lovee bundling up at night, once the sun goes down!
kaylie recently posted..My Favorite Cross Training

49 Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit August 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm

80 – 85 degrees is my ideal temp and while I love summer, that little crisp chill in the air gets me super excited for fall.
Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit recently posted..Blackberry chipotle chicken

50 Shana August 22, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I was trying to wait until at least September to break out the fall ingredients but I just can’t! Pumpkin has already made its way into oats this week. Thanks for the heads-up about that yoga video-I can’t wait to check it out!
Shana recently posted..Photo Pop

51 Min August 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Hi Courtney! That cake looks amazing! So does your breakfast! I’m looking for some great videos to follow along also. What you did sounds perfect! As I ended my gym membership, I’m not used to working out by myself. I already miss those group classes, but they’re way too high intensity for me. I’m with you. Temp around 70s sounds perfect! Love the fall weather when I can throw on a cardigan, a cute scarf, boots..and I’m good to go ;). I love snuggling too. Everyone’s celebrating around here bc the high’s ONLY going to be 95. Yipee..still hot.
Min recently posted..Day 2 of HLS ’12

52 Alyssa August 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Um I think I NEED to make a cake like that! Peanut butter and chocolate AND obviously reese’s are sure favorites of mine :)
Alyssa recently posted..Running Playlist

53 Molly Ritterbeck August 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Your food pictures always make me long for them! I think I might buy this cereal though if I can find it in Alaska!
Molly Ritterbeck recently posted..The Weekly Chase #7 – A Little Late Today

54 Annette@FitnessPerks August 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Mmmm granola. SO tasty!

I actually love it HOT, hot. I am a Summer gal through & through. I think I’d love to live in AZ, southern Cali, or Texas. Yesssss…But I need my mountains too….
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Eccentric & Concentric Contractions

55 Jolynn August 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I love 70′s. If it could be that year round, I’d be in heaven!
Jolynn recently posted..Lemon Pepper Baked Salmon

56 michelle kim August 22, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I usually like it around 60 degrees.
Hey! When I glanced at the picture of the Yoga Pilates picture, the girl in the middle looked like you! It would be so cool if you had your own workout DVD :)
michelle kim recently posted..Family Reunion

57 Katie @ running4cupcakes August 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That made me laugh cause I am the exact opposite – coffee out – better hot. coffee at home – better iced! Also, omg that cake looks so delicious.
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 8/19/12

58 Lisa August 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’ve totally been embracing the fall like weather recently…sadly the weather has really started cooling down where I live, but I also really love autumn so kind of excited for that!
I’m excited to break into my sample stash of love grown since I’ve never tried it! I think tomorrow I’ll top my oats with it:)
Lisa recently posted..Back To The Basics

59 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm

im the same with my coffee – if I make it at home, Ilike it hot. If I’m out, I want it iced!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..a new year

60 Kim August 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I love cold weather!!! Fall is my favorite time of year. I am a figure skater though… So I need experienced much summer heat. I also love iced coffee, even when I’m home I’ll make a pot and have a small cup hot then put the rest in the fridge!
Kim recently posted..Making It Happen

61 Bek @ Crave August 23, 2012 at 2:03 am

Haha, I never doubted that the cake would get entirely eaten!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Reason & justification

62 Trisha August 23, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I’m all about hot weather but I’ll admit that after our super hot summer, I’m pretty thankful for these cooler mornings & nights. It still gets pretty toasty during the day, but shady spots are plentiful & perfect!
Trisha recently posted..Thirsty Thursday: Gloria Skinny Jeans