A New Take On Date Night

Ohhh, last night was so much fun! And it’s all (well, partially) thanks to these…

Once I decided to take control yesterday on date night, I thought it might be fun to do a little something different. If you guys are anything like Jay and I, you may tend to have a hard time deciding on places to go…that’s an understatement for us.

So rather than sit and waste time deciding where to go, I wrote down a bunch of choices for three different categories, and then left it up to fate…well, sorta. Winking smile

(Pictured on the left were after-dinner activities, in the center were dinner choices, and on the right was dessert.)

Once Jay got home from work, still sulking over the fact that he didn’t know where we were going, I let him make his first choice from category number one. He ended up grabbing Ruby Tuesday which, of course, was a last minute add-in that I really didn’t even want…I just felt compelled because we had a coupon.

Sooo, I made a last minute change to the “rules” and told him he was allowed one more pick if he put that one back. This time he chose Jose Malone’s – a great choice!

We got in the car and headed down into downtown Troy. Once I parked, I let him know that he was allowed to pick one more place along the strip of restaurants to go for a pre-dinner drink. By this point, I think he was finally having fun with my game, and he opted to head to one of our favorite spots…Brown’s.

We grabbed a table in the bar area and started checking out the beer menu. Much to my dismay, they were out of my beloved Cherry Raspberry Ale. Hmmph. The waitress we had was super nice and offered to let me try a couple of other ones instead, so she brought over samples of the Porter and the American Wheat Ale.

The Porter was good, but would have been a bit too strong for a full pint, so I went with the American Wheat. Perfectly light and summery.

About a half hour into our arrival, we watched them post their sign for the Cherry Raspberry!

(old photo from this post – although I’ll be psyched to see the pumpkin ale and oktoberfest back!)

So we just had to get one to share. Winking smile

And my lovely date even let me have the cherry from the bottom of the glass. He’s such a keeper.

Once we finished our beers, we left Brown’s and walked about three doors down to our dinner spot, Jose Malone’s.

You may remember that I was here just last month and had quite a good time. Perhaps a little too much. So this time, I made sure to steer clear of the margaritas. They. Are. Dangerous.

Jose Malone’s is such a fun place, it a wonder why Jay and I haven’t come more often…especially considering its so close to us. I hadn’t eaten here in years, and Jay never had, but after our meals last night, there’s no doubt that we’ll definitely be back.

We started out with some fresh chips and salsa.

Their salsa is amazing. I seriously want to buy a bucket of it off of them. I’m so not kidding.

While we were there, I let Jay choose our next “activity” for the evening. At this point, we were a bit later than I had expected, but I figured we’d see what happened.

He wound up picking a movie (ParaNorman – looks so funny) so we decided we’d check out movie times as we got closer to being finished.

For dinner, Jay opted for chicken fajitas, which he raaaaved about, while I decided to go with something a bit different…a BLT Quesadilla.

The quesadilla came with applewood smoked bacon, pico de gallo, fresh spinach, chipotle aioli, scallion avocado relish, and cheese.

I don’t even know where to begin with these. They were SO GOOD. I loved how they were filled with lots of spinach and not tons and tons of cheese (my main reason for not usually ordering quesadillas – extra cheese just isn’t my thang).

I thoroughly enjoyed two out of my four wedges and decided it’d be in my best interest to box the rest. Any more, and that probably would have put me into the uncomfortable zone…and I still had dessert left!

By this point, we realized that the “activity” portion of our evening was probably a bust. We didn’t end up leaving Jose Malone’s until about 8:30 and the movie times really just weren’t working in our favor. We agreed to skip past the activity and move on to category three: DESSERT.

Funny enough, the place we ended up going to wasn’t even a choice I had written down. We figured since we were still in downtown Troy, we should just stay local, so we headed out for a short walk to our next destination of choice.

With a few humorous stops along the way. Winking smile

So I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this yet, but we have a new fro yo place in town!

Dante’s Frozen Yogurt opened up a few weeks ago, and I’d been dying to get down there ever since. Last night was the perfect opportunity, so we went to check it out. It’s set up very similar to all the rest of them, with about 10 different fro yo flavors and lots of toppings.

I opted for a swirl of Cookies & Cream + White Chocolate Mousse and a swirl of Strawberry + Cheesecake, topped with lots of goodies.

The fro yo and toppings were delicious, but I did have two problems with Dante’s…they only carry large cups, and their fro yo machines come out fast. Very fast.

Before I knew it, my cup was ginormous. Like, embarrassingly large.

And for the first time in my fro yo history, I was unable to finish my cup. Sad, but true.

By the time we finished up at Dante’s, we were both pretty stuffed and decided to call it an evening. So although my “pick a choice” plan didn’t work out as well as I had hoped, we still had an absolute blast.

Much better than mowing the lawn. Winking smile

Comments

1. Cat@sugaraddictanonymoud says

Such a cute idea! I love it! I might have to give that a try next week. We love creative date night around here! Next time I’m in troy I want to try that restaurant too! Looks great.
    ~cat
    Cat@sugaraddictanonymoud recently posted..Guest Post: Analisa

What an awesome idea for a date night!! I’ll definitely have to try this soon, we always run into the same problem, too many good places to go and no one wants to make a decision! It’s a travesty that you had to get rid of some of your fro-yo, but it happens to the best of us :)
    Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat recently posted..What’s In A Name?

Great idea! I am going to have to try this tonight for the vacation we are on. There is a place near my home that dispenses frozen yogurt super fast as well and I am convinced it is a way to up their sales, you can’t really “undo” the yogurt in your cup before paying there…
    Jenn recently posted..Time away.

4. Cait says

cute idea even if it didn’t quite work out exactly as planned!

btw, I love Ruby Tuesday. They revamped the menu, with lots of healthy options. Their spaghetti squash marinara pasta is awesome!! mm!

such a fun date night idea, I need to try this my boyfriend is awful at making decisions which leaves me to always pick! I must say though I lOVEE Ruby Tuesdays, its is like salad bar heaven!!!!
    amy recently posted..Body Awareness

Omgosh I’m a sucker for fro-yo. There is a popular fro-yo chain in the DC area called FroZENyo. It’s my favorite. AND one just opened up 3 blocks from my house. I don’t know if this is the best or worst thing to ever happen to me!
    Elaine recently posted..2 Ingredient Fruit Dip

Looks like you both had such a great time! I love that date-creator idea – I might have to try that out with my boyfriend sometime :) Even though you didn’t end up doing exactly what your original date was supposed to be… and ended up changing some of the rules… I think that the game still worked because it gave you ideas and got rid of the indecisiveness of it all.
    Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Exciting Announcement!

Great idea of picking out where to go from cards! I might have to try this next time my friends and I are being indecisive!

Last night my sister and I tried a newer restaurant that is always, always packed. Luckily they could squeeze us in at the bar. We had chips and guac and split tacos and salad. So so good! It was the first time I’d had Mexican in a while and it definitely pleased my palate!
    Sarah B. recently posted..The Farthest I’ve Ever Run

We out for frozen yogurt and movie last night, but we saw “The Campaign.” I don’t really recommend it — there’s a lot of truth to it, but they always seem to add so many unnecessary innappropriate things to those movies (guy humor).
    Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday Things

10. @pluvk says

I love this idea. My hubs and I have such a hard time planning date nights… we are so tired at the end of the day that the idea of planning ANY thing becomes more of a job. This is such a fun way of planning! I gotta laugh at the Ruby Tuesday’s change in rules… I always give two options, and whenever he picks my least favorite, I’m thinking, “Why did I do that? How can I get him to change his mind?”

That is a really cute idea! I would really like to do the same thing with the Hubby but I would have to do some researching! I can’t wait to try this out!
    Have to say the idea of a ‘second chance’ was amazing!
    Alicia recently posted..Friday Post: Date Night!

This is such a cute idea! I love how even though you know what the papers say, neither of you actually knows where you’ll be going next. So fun! Definitely going to use this for our next date night :) Thanks for sharing!
    Kristin Mac recently posted..DIY Glitter Shoes

I have noticed that frozen yogurt machines have two speeds: slower than the day is long + speedy gonzales! I’ve had some machines that are just so unbelievably slow, that I start to lose patience and just want to move on with my life. But then there’s others that go so fast, you end up getting way more than anticipated. It must be a plot against frozen yogurt-lovers. 😉
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The easiest and most delicious pasta recipe ever.

14. jill says

Cute way to do Date Night! Will have to try it that way sometime…. The boy & I are major fans of “Pick 3, Pick 1” when figuring out dinner plans, activities, etc. One person chooses 3 places to go, the other person chooses 1 of the 3. Everybody wins. :)

Trackbacks

1. […] night on Saturday night with Jay at Jose Malone’s, with the same quesadillas I got there last time on date night. Super yummy. We also wound up renting the movie 42 that evening and it was a GREAT […]