Does This Ever Happen To You Guys?

by Courtney on August 28, 2012

I’m so, so thankful for the fact that we have friends.

Specifically, today, I’m thankful for our male friends who offered to give up some of their Tuesday evening to come and help Jay out with our back deck.

IMG_7445-001

Because if it wasn’t them out there, it’d be me…and that would just be bad for all involved. Besides, Jay, Jeff, and Brian are getting done a heck of a lot more than I could. I have a feeling it’ll be done much sooner than later now…thank you boys!

Jay decided to order some pizza and wings for the three of them to have while they work, but I opted to pass on the takeout and try to cook up some of the crazy amount of food we have in the house right now.

IMG_7446-001

Does this ever happen to you guys? It’s like, all of a sudden, you have a crapload of food in the house and you have no idea where to even begin or what to do with it? I mean, just look at fridge and freezer…it’s reee-donk-u-lous.

And slightly embarrassing. Embarrassed smile

And not only do we have veggies from our garden, but we also have veggies from the store, AND veggies from our next store neighbor as of last night. Tomatoes and peppers the size of my head!

veggies

Don’t get me wrong…I’m certainly not complaining. I just need to work on making a dent in what we have. So to start a bit on that, I ended up eating the last piece of Spaghetti Pie cold from the fridge at around 5:00pm. I was hungry and I had intentions of just going in for a bite…then before I knew it, it was practically gone. Oops.

Shortly after that incident, I started preparing what I did have planned to make…

IMG_7442-001

More roasted green beans + roasted cherry tomatoes (cooked the same way as yesterday) + a mini, baked sweet potato, topped with salsa and plain Chobani.

IMG_7444-001

To cook the potato, I popped it in the microwave for a quick 1:30, coated it with spray butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then popped it right on the same roasting pan as the veggies. 12 minutes later and everything was done.

Talk about easy peasy!

IMG_7440-001

I’m pretty positive that I have another snack on the agenda for later today. I seem to be a bottomless pit today, which rarely ever happens…so I’m just going to take advantage of it.

Hey, if the tummy’s grumblin,’ don’t leave it hangin,’ right? Winking smile

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } August 28, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I love friends getting together to help each other out :)
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Rain, Running & other Random things

2 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes August 28, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I constantly feel like I’m running out of food until all of sudden I need to start putting stuff in the freezer, lol.
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..Book Review: It Starts With Food

3 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 28, 2012 at 7:45 pm

You know you have true friends when they are willing to either help you move or get down and dirty, helping with manual labor. True friends, you have!!!

As far as too much food in the house, that NEVER happens because I have two kids who are constantly raiding the fridge or pantry.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Ouch!!

4 Diane August 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Yay so happy that the it’s all coming along nicely
Diane recently posted..Things I’m Loving This Week #3

5 Andrea August 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I have the same plates as you. That is all. :)

6 Ashley August 28, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I chopped up a bunch of extra peppers we had last year and froze them on a baking sheet then put in a freezer bag. They are perfect to add when sauteing or roasting veggies! Good luck with the deck…I totally understand how stressful home reno jobs are!
Ashley recently posted..simple cucumber salad with banana peppers

7 Sarah B. August 28, 2012 at 8:10 pm

The opposite usually happens to me! I buy tons of fresh stuff though so I never want to risk it going bad. Plus, I only grocery shop for myself so that makes it a little easier!
Sarah B. recently posted..Dos and Don’ts for the Last Weeks of Summer

8 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset August 28, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with the bottomless-pit days. Obviously, I love to eat, hence the love part ;) But, it can be scary to feel like you’re ‘eating too much’ or breaking your ‘food rules.’ I’m learning however, that the body is ALWAYS right. Never question the body :) Enjoy your bedtime snack! xo

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Sweet potatoes are the best! I topped one last week with BBQ pulled pork & it was awesome!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My Day-to-Day

10 Alison August 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

That happened to me last week! I literally spent half the day thinking of what to do with the immense amount of food that filled our fridge. My family made a dent in it soon enough but I was getting stressed trying to think of how we could use it all! A few rice salads, veggie sautés, pasta dishes and we were on our way :)

11 Brittany @ readrunrepeat August 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I made spaghetti pie for dinner tonight (told you it was going on my menu this week!!) … Different veggies than you, but so, so good! I swear that our fridge is always packed… I just cleaned it out a few days ago and it’s already chuck full again
Brittany @ readrunrepeat recently posted..Weekend Highlights

12 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 28, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I’ve been a bottomless pit all week but thankfully today I was feeling a bit more “normal” ;)

And yes, I think the crazy amounts of food out of nowhere happen to all of us. Have no fear.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Tomorrow

13 Lauren August 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Our fridge is embarrassingly empty right now so I’ll gladly take some of that loot off your hands. :)

I was so grateful to have friends today too! One that fixed my computer and another that fixed my treadmill. It’s so good to know people who are good at these things. :)
Lauren recently posted..2 Quick Things

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm

At least when that happens, you have nothing but options. :-) Love guys and their deck-building abilities – I’m much better at handing people tools then actually building anything.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Beware When Hangry.

15 Jenny August 28, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Do you freeze your vegetables to keep them from going bad if you don’t think you are going to finish them all? I always hate seeing food go bad!
Jenny recently posted..The Colors Dude!

16 Katy August 28, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I hear ya! Some times my intended recipes get lost in translation between the grocery store aisle and the kitchen. It can get very overwhelming to look into the fridge and see a ton of food and no starting point!
Katy recently posted..I’m Not Crazy I’m Just A Little Unwell

17 Khushboo Thadani August 29, 2012 at 12:19 am

Too much food, not enough time to eat…#firstworldproblems which I am guilty of too ;)!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..2012 resolutions…revisited

18 michelle kim August 29, 2012 at 12:24 am

Ooh, I love your cooking tip on the sweet potato because that saves a BUNCH of time when baking it. I’ll have to use that for sure!
michelle kim recently posted..Busy-ish Times

19 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 29, 2012 at 7:02 am

I need to try baking a sweet potato the way that you do. It sounds and looks yummy! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Eat, Drink & Be MARRIED!!…

20 Shannon August 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

That’s what good friends are for, right? Helping each other in times of need. :)

That’s a LOT of food. I’d say that happens to our house too sometimes. Kudos to you for putting up a photo of your fridge. That’s tough, considering that you are embarassed by that amount of food. Just keep plowing through, and pretty soon the food will be all gone.

21 Trisha August 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm

It seems like every time I feel guilty about having a fridge full of food while eating something else, I have a fridge full of boring food. I’ve really been trying to make meals to “use what we have” but it doesn’t always work out as beautifully as your creation here!
Trisha recently posted..Back to School + Ending On a Good Note

22 Lisa August 29, 2012 at 4:18 pm

The beans and tomatoes look wonderful together. A little Christmas-y, no?
I’m on the opposite end right now, and feel like I have no food at the moment. Guess I need to hit up the grocery store!
Lisa recently posted..Coconut Milk Goodness and Marinara

23 Bek @ Crave August 30, 2012 at 1:29 am

The worst thing you can do is not eat if you’re actually hungry! So yup get munching. Maybe whip up something nice for you and the boys and surprise them with it as they work? Haha.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Rockwear