How To Improve Rounded Shoulders

Holy moly, has it been a busy morning!

My kitchen has been rockin’ with lots of good stuff so far…

100OLYMP

I’m actually working on some recipes for a breakfast tailgate, so once they’re up and running, I’ll most definitely share with you all. Promise.

I’ve still got a couple left to do, along with my cupcakes, but I’m thinking that I’m going to have to divide and conquer on those – if I attempt everything today, I’m going to be wiped. Workin’ in the kitchen is no joke! Winking smile

While I did, as planned, manage to snag a few bites of each of this morning’s recipes, I still needed something a bit more substantial and nutritious, so I put together this thing of beauty.

Tomato, Corn, Avocado, & Feta Salad

• Romaine + spinach base
  • 1 ear corn on the cob (steamed in microwave)
  • 2 small tomatoes (from my garden)
  • ~1/3 of an avocado
  • 2-3 tbsp feta cheese
  • 2 tsp olive oil + splash of balsamic vinegar
  • dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, to taste

I also added in a couple slices of low-sodium deli turkey along with the rest of my veggies just because it sounded good.

It was.

*****

How To Improve Rounded Shoulders

I’ve noticed recently that my increased time of sitting at a desk is wreaking havoc on my upper body, especially my neck and shoulders. My shoulders have become a bit more rounded and my posture is starting to suffer.

I’m also not exactly known for sitting properly at my desk either…

source

Anyone else in the same boat??

Rounded shoulders happen with the chest muscle becomes tight, thus creating more of a pull on the shoulders. In turn, the back muscles (such as the rhomboids) stretch and lengthen, making them weaker.

To try to correct this postural distortion, strengthening exercises to tighten the back muscles are super important. Here’s a few exercises and stretches to try today:

Reverse Fly

Grab a set of light dumbbells and place feet hip-width apart, knees bent. Bend forward at the hips and let arms hang straight down from your shoulders, palms facing in. Roll shoulders back and down, away from ears. Raise both arms out to sides as you squeeze shoulder blades together. Return to start. Do 3 sets of 15 reps.

Seated Row

Sit on the floor, legs extended in front of you. Wrap a resistance band around feet and grasp each end, palms facing each other. Bend arms and draw hands towards sides, elbows pointing behind you. Return to start. Do 3 sets of 12 reps.

source

Open Chest Stretch

There are many ways to perform a chest stretch – you can sit, stand, or even use a stability ball. When sitting or standing, interlock hands behind your back with palms facing inward. Lean slightly forward and lift arms behind you. Hold for about 30 seconds.

Cobra Stretch

Lie on stomach with palms of hands flat on ground directly beneath shoulders. Legs should be straight with tops of feet on ground. Pull abdominal muscles up toward your spine and press up, lifting chest off ground, completely straightening arms. Lift chin up to the ceiling without hunching shoulders up towards ears. To avoid this, keep neck elongated by gliding your shoulder blades down your back toward your hip bones. Hold position for about 30 seconds.

*****

Question for the Afternoon:

How’s YOUR posture? Winking smile

Comments

Oh my gosh!! I totally sat up straight after looking at this picture! Lol! I am so bad about setting like a couple of those. Being at a computer all day is really horrible on the back.
    I try really hard to stretch throughout the day, but don’t always get the chance.
    Brandi recently posted..Monday plus one.

My new year’s resolution was to improve my posture!!! This is a great post–I like the exercise ideas. While my posture isn’t terrible, I can tell that it has been deteriorating the more I spend time in front of a computer. I’m trying to correct things before they become bad. It’s definitely a work in progress though!
    Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Seared Sea Scallops

3. Caitlin F. says

SO crazy that you chose today to do a post on posture. Earlier this morning I noticed myself in the mirror and could not believe how rounded my shoulders have become. Thank you, desk job. I’ll definitely be incorporating these moves into my workout tonight. Thanks!!

My posture is pretty bad! I’ve been trying to pay more attention to sitting/standing straight, but then a lot of the time I start slacking and catch myself with rounded shoulders. It’s a hard thing to stay conscious about, especially when I’m feeling tired and just want to slouch. Thanks for the reminder [as I’m slouching at my desk.. ha!]
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... what have we here? .

Just what I needed to read because my posture is not very good right now. I sit at a desk for upwards of 10 hours a day, and even though I get up and move around every so often, it’s not enough. I’m going to incorporate some of those stretches into my daily routine! Thanks for sharing!
    Parita recently posted..The Parental Unit + Isaac

6. CBat says

Work your front and your back of your upper bod to maintain balance! You should be able to push and pull similar amount of weight.

My mom was HUGE on posture when I was growing up. I can still hear her telling me, “put those shoulders back!” I think she scarred me for life, because now I’m pretty concious about it. Whenever I feel myself slouching, I can hear her voice in the back of my head and that helps me remember to straighten up. :-)
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..The Sights of Oregon

Funny that you talked about this today. I was thinking the same thing when I saw my pictures from my vacation. I thought my shoulders seemed very forward and notice it looked awkward when I tried to pull them back.
    It actually had me upset because I hated how I looked. :( Ok enough sad face..I did it to myself, I know. I have the worse posture sitting at my desk all day. I get very lazy and don’t sit properly. I slouch ALL the time.
    Thanks for posting these exercises. I’m going to add them to my MUST DO TONIGHT list and try to correct my bad posture. Is it possible to fully correct it so I don’t look so rounded up top? Please say yes.. :/
    Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..Carnival Cruise to the Bahamas Part 1

i can’t imagine my posture is all that great. especially sitting at a desk for 8 hours.

and being over 6 feet tall, i find myself bending over to use certain things that would be at a normal height for shorter people or having to duck to not hit my head on things….

thanks for the exercises and stretches! i can definitely use em!
    robfiasco @ run2thehills recently posted..Done with Dairy…

My posture is horrible! Especially since I am either on my laptop at home, with no desk…always on the bed, and then at work behind a desk. So I am always stretching! I do love the Cobra Stretch! It is one of my favorite stretches.

On a note I really want to try that Salad! I have never tried feta cheese but I really want to try it! That salad looks so delicious!
    Alicia recently posted..Manic Monday: Day 35 + 10 Pounds Lost

I actually have pretty decent posture. After years of being a swimmer and having my coach yell at me whenever I rounded my shoulders, I finally got the lessen and never looked back;) ha ha.
    I love all the colours in that salad, how pretty!
    Lisa recently posted..Are You Eating Enough?

When I saw the words ‘bad posture’, I immediately sat up straighter in the computer chair. My posture isn’t so great but I’m going to try and work on sitting straight starting…NOW. :)

Well, you made me sit up straight after that post, that’s for sure!! I think I used to have really good posture (I did dance, including ballet for years), but over the years of increased sitting, I’m slowly becoming rounded. I guess it also doesn’t help that I can’t even remember the last time I did a back fly! I swear I used to be so much better last summer. I blame pregnancy for my slacking this year 😉
    char eats greens recently posted..where does the time go?

I’m very glad to say that I have pretty good posture!! Sometimes I catch myself slouching while sitting down, but ever since I came out of my mama’s womb, she’s taught me (and forced me) to be super super mindful of straightening up. Haha! Sometimes she’d be in another room and yell, “Ellie, sit up straight!!!” And I looooove these exercises!!! I always make it a point to focus on delt flys or something like that because I believe in the importance of balancing out and evening out our muscles–front and back. Especially if we do lots of pushups! 😀
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Marvelous Mondays Recap

Great post! I notice so many students with rounded shoulders (and back). I think this generation is just sitting all the time, so unless they are actively trying to keeping good posture, it’s bound to happen. I definitely do the downward dog and reverse fly to keep my posture.
    michelle kim recently posted..Busy-ish Times

This post couldn’t have come at a better time! I actually just got home from a doctor’s appointment for a few things, one of them being back pain! While I’m not allowed to use any weights or do any mat work for a while, the last two may help! Thanks for the info! BTW that salad looks DELISH!

HAha as I was reading this I felt like I was getting a smack on the wrist and straightened up immediately. Posture is something many of us forget about too easily, even when we walk around. I am going to make a habit of improving my posture as I’m walking about- it’s amazing the difference it makes.
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..Rockwear

I have a desk job currently, and I am ALWAYS so worried about the rounded shoulders! When sitting at my desk I consciously sit up tall and roll my shoulders back several times a day to adjust…!!!
    Tara Deal recently posted..Hello world!

Trackbacks