Determined To Get Up

by Courtney on August 29, 2012

I was absolutely determined to get up and moving nice and early today. I know I’ve mentioned it to you all a few times recently, but I have been having the hardest time getting up with my alarm. Snoozes of 30-45 minutes have been the norm…so not cool.

Apparently, I was quite motivated to get up for those early morning workouts before. Take those away and I’m a lazy bum.

Okay, kidding. I’m not lazy…all the time. Or at least not today, anyways!

I rolled out of bed first thing this morning, threw on my workout gear and headed out to the kitchen. I put on a pot of coffee, got a few items ready for baking, then went into the living room for a little yoga session. Forty minutes later, I was already feeling so much more energized and ready to start the day.

First up on the list for today? Cupcakes.

Two dozen down, two dozen to go. Three dozen to be filled. All four dozen still to be frosted…but that’ll probably wait until later tonight or early tomorrow so they’re nice and fresh for tomorrow evening.

Once I had my first batch of cupcakes in the oven, I poured myself a mug of coffee and got to work on prepping some breakfast.

I figured I’d continue to work on that whole clearing out the fridge thing, so I put together a yogurt bowl made with pineapple Greek yogurt, strawberries, half of a peach (which you can actually see sitting in the fridge all the way in the top left corner), pineapple, and a mini bag of Love Grown Foods granola.

Delicious, and a nice change of pace from what my usual breakfasts have been as of late.

Alright, my friends…I’ve gotta jet!

Question for the Morning:

What motivates you to get out of bed early in the morning? A workout? Free time before the day starts? A natural morning person?

1 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance August 29, 2012 at 9:04 am

I still don’t understand how anyone can be a natural morning person. The only thing that really truly motivates me is if I have something really exciting going on that day, like vacation!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Uchi Houston Review

2 Janae @ Bring-Joy August 29, 2012 at 9:05 am

Free time before the day starts (aka, whenever the first little person wakes up)!
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..Going Gluten-free: Why I went gluten-free, my top gf flours, & a Bob’s Red Mill giveaway

3 Ellie@Fit for the Soul August 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

hahaha ohhh man that’s one of those things I’m always wondering how I’ll handle once I become a mom. The lack of sleep is what intimidates me! :P And what gets me up in the morning is some morning devotional with God and breakfast breakfast breakfast!! haha–I’m such a bfast person.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..How to Sneak in Flax Seeds and a Smoothie Recipe

4 Parita August 29, 2012 at 9:06 am

Honestly…the thought of breakfast! Works like a charm :)

5 Becka @ simplybecka August 29, 2012 at 9:06 am

I too have been having a really hard time getting out of bed, snooze is my friend. I am even running late to work lately. UGH. I am motivated to get out of bed if I have nothing “scheduled”. Then it seems so much easier to wake up on my own terms. I think I am begin resistant to work lately. LOL Who doesn’t do that sometimes. Have a great day. ^_^
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..adding in yoga…

6 Lindsey August 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

I love mornings but wish I had more time to enjoy them! Silly work gets in the way ;) My coffee and yummy breakfast gets me up!
Lindsey recently posted..When to Blog…

7 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 29, 2012 at 9:07 am

My motivation to get up early is my kids….mostly because they are ready for breakfast at 6am(the joy!!) and I don’t dare let them get it themselves for fear of what my kitchen would look like afterwards, lol.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..WIAW #11

8 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 29, 2012 at 9:09 am

I never used to be a morning person until I started getting up at 5 for work. Now even on the weekends, I can’t seem to sleep past 8 or 9. I like the thought of starting my day off early with a warm cup of coffee. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Eat, Drink & Be MARRIED!!…

9 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 29, 2012 at 9:11 am

I am motivated by free time. I get to slowly wake up and get ready rather than being rushed.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

10 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

Starting work at 7 (with an hour commute) gets me out of bed at 5 am every day.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Creature of Habit (WIAW)

11 Elaine August 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

I struggle every morning. I’m definitely more of a night person. And in the winter…forget it. The snooze button gets overused on cold, dark mornings. Unless I have work or an appointment, I will sleep in as late as I possibly can. So I feel your pain!
Elaine recently posted..Rise and Shine Smoothie

12 Ellie August 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

This is totally silly but I actually pump myself up for the day the night before. I think of all the fun and cool things I will get done the next day as I am going to sleep and it totally helps me get out of bed.
It works I swear
Ellie recently posted..Frozen Food

13 Carolyn August 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

I love my morning quiet times, coffee, bible study, working out. I have three little boys so I have to get up early (before 5) to really enjoy and get it all done but once I am out of bed I never regret it!

I am LOVING your blog, I don’t comment often because most the time I am reading it from my phone but I look forward to your posts everyday. Also, I didn’t comment on your last HA post but I thought you did an amazing job of letting all of us know how you were feeling and why you were working so hard to listen to your body. I’m praying for you!
Carolyn recently posted..Wallowa Lake, Oregon

14 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

Thank you, Carolyn!! :)

15 Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat August 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

I don’t like getting up early but I DO like having time to relax and prep for the day without rushing…So I usually force myself up earlier than I really need to, that quiet time with my coffee is sometimes the only “me” time I get during the day!
Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat recently posted..Good News and Bad News

16 Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee August 29, 2012 at 9:29 am

I am definitely not a morning person so the only thing that motivates me to get out of bed is knowing I get to have a cup of coffee!
Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee recently posted..Reykjavik Half-Marathon

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 29, 2012 at 9:33 am

It used to be workouts for me (it still sometimes is, but not like it used to be), but it’s mostly just for some alone time in the morning before heading to work. I love the peace and quiet of an early morning!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #49: Sriracha Hot Sauce

18 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I agree!
P.S. – we need to chat again soon! It’s been DAYS lol ;)

19 Beks August 29, 2012 at 9:34 am

This week, breakfast has had me getting up. I started making Tina’s (CarrotsnCake) 2-ingredient pancake, and it takes awhile to make. So worth it, though! Watch a little Netflix on my phone while I cook and get my food ready, and take my pancakes to go. Still totally zonky when I actually get to work, though.

20 Alex @ Alex Tries it Out August 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am not a morning person at all, so pretty much the only thing during the week is the fact that if I don’t get up, I’ll be late for work! On the weekends, when my time is MINE, getting up to get my workout in for the day is great motivation.
Alex @ Alex Tries it Out recently posted..Trying Something New: Village Bean Coffee Co.

21 Yellow Haired Girl August 29, 2012 at 9:49 am

I haven’t even been hitting snooze … I”ve been shutting it OFF and going back to sleep! A terrible idea, I can assure you. Must. Stop.
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Lazy Day WIAW

22 Stephanie @ StephSnacks August 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m not so sure that the workout motivates me to get out of bed as much as how I’ll feel AFTER the workout!
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..A Saturday in Brooklyn

23 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna August 29, 2012 at 10:10 am

do you make the cupcakes to sell or just for fun/to share with friends?

also, that yogurt bowl looks amazing!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW: Quarter System Syndrome.

24 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 10:54 am

Both! :)

25 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian August 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

Nothing. I hate mornings, I would prefer 3am workouts. Plus the benefits of working in the afternoon is that I can snooze in a little. Yet I would prefer to get my workout done in the morning, so only one shower; but still not enough to motivate me.

Though sometimes bacon is a motivator!!! ;)
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..Food…

26 Rachel August 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

Great looking yogurt bowl!! I haven’t had granola in forever lol I workout every morning before work, so that motivates me to get up :)
Rachel recently posted..Watermelon Love

27 Megan (Braise The Roof) August 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

I’ve been having a really hard time dragging myself out of bed lately, too! I have made getting up fairly early a habit- I don’t necessarily enjoy it, but I know I’ll be fine once I get up and at ‘em so I try not to think about it when the alarm goes off!
Megan (Braise The Roof) recently posted..Potato Zucchini Flatbread

28 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie August 29, 2012 at 10:46 am

I have been loving the yogurt bowls lately! My workouts have been motivating me to get up lately…hopefully it continues!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Things That Make Me Happy

29 Shannon August 29, 2012 at 11:12 am

I’m not a morning person at all. Once I lay down in my bed at night, I’m so comfy that I don’t want to wake up the next morning. What’s getting me up at 7 am is that I need to get back to my school routine- I have to get up at 6:30 Monday thru Friday to catch the bus a little after 7. I’m going to try for 6:45 tomorrow, then 6:40 Friday, 6:35 next Monday, and then 6:30 next Tuesday. Baby steps and time will help me succeed. I also like to watch Good Morning America right at 7 in the morning. I’m hooked to Robin, Lara, Josh, George, and Sam- they make such an awesome news team, and their friendships are real, compared to most TV journalists’ fake friendly attitudes. I’m going to miss watching once school starts! :(

30 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Good idea with slowly getting up earlier, Shannon!

31 Jennifer @ Peut Butter and Peppers August 29, 2012 at 11:14 am

I am such a morning person! My best motivation is the sun and enjoying the weather. I like ot read my e-mails with a cup of coffee, then exercise and then make a fun breakfast, well thats my weekend routine!!!
Jennifer @ Peut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chocolate Chip Medley Yogurt Cookies

32 Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine August 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

having quiet to drink my coffee and a workout. I’m so much more productive during the ENTIRE day if I workout in the morning
Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine recently posted..Pervert in the Shower

33 Khushboo August 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

Usually workouts motivate me to get out of bed otherwise I just end up frazzled while getting ready for work short on time. Would it be terrible to admit that my most effective motivation is breakfast ;)
Khushboo recently posted..Good things come in small packages

34 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 29, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’m definitely a natural morning person. I still have my fair share of snooze button issues, this morning included. I was hoping to get in a run this morning but then I decided that since my body was feeling so sore and tired, it was probably best for a rest day. I start moving today, so it’s really only KIND OF a rest day…there will be LOTS of stairs.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW – Where I Am / What I Ate Wednesday

35 Sam @ The Real Pretty August 29, 2012 at 11:25 am

My puppy motivates me… err should I say forces me out of bed. He is deaf and sleeps in a crate, but he sure does know when I seem to be stirring because as soon as I do, he starts to whimper and wont stop until I get up. I’m not complaining though… I love that little booger.
Sam @ The Real Pretty recently posted..Just Call Me Katniss

36 Debbie (Accidently Delish) August 29, 2012 at 11:33 am

Funny you mention this today. I have a new class schedule which requires me to get up earlier. I am typically your early morning work out person, and now I have more free time in the afternoon, but I still find myself needing/wanting to get up early to work out. I really like getting it done and out of the way and it totally energizes me for the day! Also I find if I wait until later to work out, I tend to find a ton of excuses to NOT work out. So it’s nice to get it done and out of the way! But I like to think I am a natural early riser as well :)

(Can I ask you a silly question? I can never get my comment love to work. I enter my post URL and it always links to the comment? Any hints or suggestions on what link I should be entering?)
Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog

37 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 1:12 pm

That’s really strange…I’ve never had that happen before?! I wish I had a better answer for you! :(

38 Jamie August 29, 2012 at 11:33 am

I don’t comment very often, but I just have to let you know how much I LOVE your blog!

I am a natural morning person, but even if I wasn’t, my daughter wakes me up BRIGHT AND EARLY, always =) So that’s pretty motivating, if you can call it that ;)

39 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Thank you, Jamie! :)

40 Jolynn August 29, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’ve been having trouble getting up lately too but I almost always get up no later than 630 so I can get ready, eat breakfast, then watch Good Morning America.
Jolynn recently posted..Oatmeal Rice Pudding

41 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

Woo, that’s a lot of cupcakes!! I’m motivated to get up and get to the gym… if it doesn’t happen in the morning, it probably won’t at all!
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..Jamie’s Winging

42 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat August 29, 2012 at 11:52 am

I can get up early even if I’ve stayed up late the night before- not sure what it is, but I feel like sleeping in wastes the day away (IMO of course!)

Good luck with all the cupcakes! For my brothers wedding my mom and I made and frosted over 500 cupcakes in 1 day- Chocolate, Lemon with Lemon Filling and Red Velvet. Let me just say, I will never be doing that again!! I think we still have frozen cupcakes in the freezer.
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Weekend Hike

43 Courtney August 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm

WOW – now that is a LOT of cupcakes! Haha

44 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness August 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

CrossFit has always been my motivator to get up and out in the morning but I still do love my snooze! Lately it’s been my new puppy motivating me to get up to get her every morning! No sleeping in for me!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

45 Nicole August 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I am sooo like you with the snooze bar! I used to be anti-snooze bar until about 3 years ago, now I can’t break the habit of getting an extra 20-40 minutes of sleep! I set multiple alarms, even alarms in my bathroom, on the other side of the bedroom, etc. that force me to get up and MOVE….but no, I just hop back into bed and snooooze.

The only thing that can get me up and moving is knowing I have someone waiting on me to be somewhere – like, if I’m planning on meeting a friend at the gym or if I have an early work meeting. Otherwise, I’m a snoozebar victim!

46 Caitlin August 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm

It’s funny, some mornings I am so ready to be awake and some I could lay in bed forever. I almost always do my “phone errands” in bed when I wake up. I think it helps get my brain moving and the light from the phone screen is helpful to get me up too especially in the winter when it’s still dark out when I wake up. Also, I used my last mini bag of Love Grown from HLS last night and it was TRAGIC.
Caitlin recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Baltimore

47 Alyssa August 29, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I need to get back into the habit of morning workouts again. I have been doing them in the evenings all summer, but I enjoy getting them done in the morning and feeling more energized all day!

This post reminds me – I need to clean out my fridge, too! ;)
Alyssa recently posted..Pretty In Pink

48 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I love getting up early to have a little bit of me time in the morning. Also, working out in the morning makes me feel great all day!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..I’m an aunt!

49 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset August 29, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I LOVE days that start out on a roll like yours. Makes me feel so proud of myself lol ;)
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Changes and ‘real life’ worries

50 Annette@FitnessPerks August 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I am totally a morning person. Always have been! It’s no problem for me to wake up & hit the gym or the pavement!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Breaking Up With…..

51 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 29, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Workouts definitely get me going in the morning…otherwise I would never stop hitting the snooze button.

Awesome breakfast, I can’t remember the last time I had a simple yogurt bowl!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..What If Spinach Had a Mascot?

52 Brandi August 29, 2012 at 2:46 pm

That is the one button that I never use! ;) My body always seems to know that my alarm is about to go off and it usually wakes up 20 to 30 minutes before. Ahh, oh how I love the weekends when I don’t have to set it. :)
What motivates me to get up?? hmm…. work, coffee, breakfast, bible study, a great workout, coffee…:)
Brandi recently posted..Gouda please.

53 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles August 29, 2012 at 3:00 pm

It’s good to know I’m not the only one who struggles with the alarm. I set up multiple alarms and it still takes me sometimes an hour to get up! Then I get super frustrated because I wish I had enough time for a productive morning instead of rushing. Hopefully I’ll get into the routine I want some day!
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..WIAW: A Lot of Carbs (and Protein)

54 Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans August 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’m a big morning person! My friends think I’m weird because most 21 year olds sleep like sleeping until noon, but I am up before 7:30 every morning, even on the weekends!
Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans recently posted..Busy Bee {WIAW}

55 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I’m a natural morning person! I love how calm and quiet they are. And I usually use that time to read blogs because sometimes it’s the only time in the day I have to read them.
Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin recently posted..WIAW #53: Back on track

56 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries August 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I’m not gonna lie, food motivates me to get out of bed in the morning ;)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..The Other Side Of WIAW

57 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Hmm.. going to work definitely motivates me to get out of bed in the morning. I hate being late or super rushed to get ready!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Watermelon-Mint-Ginger Popsicles

58 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m definitely all about having some quiet me-time in the morning! It’s rough getting up earlier, but worth it!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 25

59 Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut August 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I LOVE the snooze button. Probably more than I should. The only thing that really seems to motivate me is when I NEED to get up like for school or work. Otherwise I get up “early” at 9am to eat breakfast. :)
Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted..Half-Marathon Training Plan

60 Bek @ Crave August 30, 2012 at 1:30 am

If the sun comes through my window usually that gets me up, or my workouts- I’m pretty lucky and generally sleep till 8am on usual workout days..but it’s 5:20 on days I have to teach at 6am!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Rockwear

61 evenings August 30, 2012 at 3:35 am

i love the snooze button!

62 Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean August 30, 2012 at 7:51 am

I was just thinking about what to have for breakfast….Yogurt bowl it is!
Avery @ Texas Teen Keeps Lean recently posted..Take That, Two-Ingredient Pancake!