THE Thing To Do

by Courtney on August 30, 2012

Howdy howdy! Happy Thursday! How’s everyone’s day starting off so far?

So last night was a wonderful evening – I got away from the computer and out of the house for a bit. Jay and I had to make a trip to the mall, so we headed out after eating a quick dinner of random leftovers from the fridge.

Now, it’s not very often that I can get hubster to go to the mall. Unless there’s something he needs (hence, our trip yesterday) I’ve pretty much just stopped asking him to go. I’ve decided I’d rather go by myself than listen to him complain.

But while we were there last night, for some reason, it totally brought me back to when we were younger. As teenagers in high school, going to the mall was one of “the” things to do (aka, one of the only things to do), so that’s where we’d be…pretty much every weekend. Usually after a dinner at TGIFridays, Pizzeria Uno, or Applebees.

100_0429That isn’t high school…but it is Applebees, circa 2007

I love thinking back to those days…knowing just how long ago they were (over 10 years!!) and knowing that Jay was a part of them. Awwww, aren’t I just the little sapster this morning? Winking smile

So after we were done at the mall last night, I was able to convince Jay to stop for some fro yo at another new-to-us place called Lemondrop. I had a Groupon, so he really couldn’t say no. Honestly? I think this is now my favorite fro yo spot. It was just sooooo good.

Conveniently enough, Lemondrop is located right next door to one of our other newest locations…

So we walked on over since Jay still hadn’t had a chance to check it out. (P.S. – going at 9pm on a Wednesday night is PERFECT). We picked up a couple odds and ends, including THIS.

Ohhhh, I know I probably shouldn’t have. I’ve heard people rave about this stuff. I know it’s going to be dangerous…but…I can’t help it. I want to bake with it in a bad way. Winking smile

******

So let’s fast-forward to this morning. I was up nice and early to attempt to get a head start on my day. I started by typing up and emailing out some client training plans, but about 10 minutes in, the power went out. Basically, the worst thing that could happen to me today…because not only did I still have seven more training plans to email out, but I also still have to frost four dozen cupcakes.

Rather than freak out, I decided to take care of a few things that didn’t require electricity, and as I started to do that, I was getting huuuungry. I really wanted oatmeal today, but I had no idea when the power would be back on, so I settled for a no-heat-required sweet breakfast quesadilla.

It wasn’t exactly oatmeal, but it was better than I expected.

My coffee on the other hand? I thought it’d be okay since I managed to put the pot on before the power went out, but by the time I got to it…lukewarm.

Womp womp.

Of course, not five seconds after I came in to sit down to eat my breakfast…

The power came back! Thank goodness. The first thing I did was warm up that coffee. The second thing I did (am doing?) is type up this post.

The next thing I’m going to do? Get workin’ on those cupcakes!

Question for the Morning:

What were some of “the” things to do when you were growing up (either in high school, middle school, etc.)?

1 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 30, 2012 at 9:02 am

Hitting the theater was always the thing to do – followed by Starbucks of course, unless you wanted to bring your date home early. #lame ;) I still feel like a kid (actually, a tween) now whenever I go to the movies.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Motivation Nosedive

2 Elaine August 30, 2012 at 9:04 am

Haha I love the flashback to high school dating. The mall and movies were definitely a common theme in my high school dating days. Or hanging out at Bojangles (a fast food restaurant) after school. So random, but we thought we were sooo cool. Ha!

And I AM OBSESSED WITH COOKIE BUTTER! It’s a spinoff of Biscoff Spread, which is just as amazing. Right on par with Nutella and Peanut Butter. Mmm mmm.

If you ever make No-Bake Cookies, I highly recommend substituting the peanut butter with Cookie Butter. It.is.amazing.
Elaine recently posted..Rise and Shine Smoothie

3 chelcie @ chelcie's food files August 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

going to the mall or going out to eat was definitely the “thing” to do..also my friend hannah would always have parties at her house when i was a juinor and senior in high school that my friends and I would always look forward to every weekend..i’m glad the power went back on for you!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-First Day of Classes!

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope August 30, 2012 at 9:18 am

The thing to do back in the day was go to the mall or the movie theater with friends.

I want to try that Cookie butter! Looks like a trip to TJ is needed :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Gift Exchange Between Mike & I!…

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 30, 2012 at 9:19 am

Starbucks was one of our highschool hangouts. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Creature of Habit (WIAW)

6 Jenn August 30, 2012 at 9:21 am

oh my gosh that cookie butter is some of the greatest (and worst) stuff ever…great tasting, but so hard to stop eating!!

7 ashley August 30, 2012 at 9:21 am

are you still training client’s at the gym or just focusing on your online training now?

8 Courtney August 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

I’ve since left the gym that I was originally working at but am looking at other locations at the moment, in addition to my online training :)

9 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 30, 2012 at 9:22 am

In Jr.High school, the mall was definitely the place to be. We would walk around for hours, maybe buying one item the entire time we were there. In high school, we drove up and down the main drag called “Kemp Street” for hours and hours. Those were the days, lol!!

Cookie Butter=YUMMY!!! However, my husband and kids do not like it (weirdos) so that has left the entire jar just for me. Somehow I have managed to limit myself to little bites here and there.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..WIAW #11

10 Sara@MagiaePasta August 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

Ohh, I remember those high school days. When my boyfriend and I first started dating, he had just started to drive, so we used to go on drives because it was still so new and exciting! Our group of friends always seemed to end up at his house, though, because his mom always had the best snacks ;) It was either that or hang out in the grocery store parking lot (yeah, not a lot to do in the ‘burbs!).
Sara@MagiaePasta recently posted..Back to Back

11 Beks August 30, 2012 at 9:24 am

It was definitely the mall. Back when it was booming with businesses and all kinds of restaurants in the food court. Now, there are four (five if you count the Chinese place, which is currently on hiatus while the owners are visiting family) restaurants, and the most popular stores in the mall are Victoria’s Secret, Bath & Body Works (where I work), Payless and Hot Topic. Possibly Claire’s. We also used to have a theater in the mall, which was replaced by a now-defunct Barnes and Noble. C’est tragique.
Beks recently posted..Movie Review: The Odd Life of Timothy Green

12 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance August 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

I was introduced to speculoos in Belgium – it is quite delicious! I grew up in a big city and we still pretty much just did movies and the mall in high school :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #19

13 Amy B @ Second City Randomness August 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ah the cookie butter! I’m actually baking with it tonight… but obviously I had to break the jar open beforehand… whoops
Amy B @ Second City Randomness recently posted..Long Run Repeated

14 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy August 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

When I was in high school, the only places our town had to go was a bowling alley and a Wal Mart. I wish I was kidding. It’s grown since then, which is good for the high schoolers of today :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Ice Ice Baby

15 Stef August 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

The things we always did back in the day was go to the mall or the bowling alley!

I was at TJ’s the other day and I passed on the Cookie Butter, but now I wish I would have gotten some!
Stef recently posted..Let’s talk fitness.

16 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries August 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oh yes, going to the mall was THE thing to do back in our high school days too. Haha. So funny to think about those days! I’m so glad you got your hands on some of that cookie butter! Addicting, I tell you!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..08/30: Thursday Thoughts

17 Nicole August 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

Oh, cookie butter! That stuff is the devil, haha. SO good – I can’t wait to hear how you end up baking with it… so far, it hasn’t made it past a spoon in my house :)

18 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine August 30, 2012 at 9:38 am

Ah the mall was our thing too. The mall was actually across the street from my high school so we always went over during school for lunch.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

19 Sarah @ Practice Princess August 30, 2012 at 9:42 am

Wow, cookie butter! You guys have the best snacks – marshmallow whip, peanut butter swirled with grape jelly… really love those things whenever I’m abroad, such a novelty. Your cereals are pretty good too :) Our ‘malls’ were not really that great when I was growing up, more like the British ‘high street’ which is just your post office, sweet shop, park and ‘off license’ where you’d try and get the occasional contraband cider… Ha! Altogether a bit of a tragic way to mis-spend your youth – hopefully that is changing a bit for young people these days with the recent buzz of the Olympics. Looking forward to seeing that cookie butter baked into something!
Sarah @ Practice Princess recently posted..Look Who’s Home!

20 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige August 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Ahhh I hate when the power goes out!!
I remember in Junior High – after every boys basketball game, the whole team, along with the cheerleaders and pom squad, would go to Steak n Shake. I’d always get chicken fingers, cheese fries, and then top it off with a big ol’ cookies and cream shake! lol
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..My Run Routine + My Thoughts on Pro-Ana Websites

21 Megan@ The Running Doc August 30, 2012 at 9:59 am

That cookie butter is so, so good, you’re going to love it!

In high school we spent a lot of time at one of our guy friend’s house. We pretty much went there every single weekend night. The other hangout was a restaurant called “Dixie Chili” that stayed open super late so we’d always go after Friday night football games.
Megan@ The Running Doc recently posted..Eggs and Grits Casserole

22 Yellow Haired Girl August 30, 2012 at 10:02 am

Going to the movies! THE only thing to do. The theatre was in the mall, too … so wander the mall for an hour and then go sit in the theatre. Every. Single. Weekend. There wasn’t such thing as an original first date where I grew up ;)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Lazy Day WIAW

23 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction August 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

My friends and I always went to the mall, mini golfing or out for ice cream…funny thing is a STILL do these things! But now it’s more froyo, not ice cream ;-)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..#HLS12 Part 3- The Sessions

24 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 30, 2012 at 10:27 am

My friends and I would always have sleep-overs and stay up til the wee hours of the morning playing video games! We would always crash at one friend’s house who’s brother had a ton of games. We were definitely the geeks in high school, but we loved it!
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..Jamie’s Winging

25 Parita August 30, 2012 at 10:27 am

For some reason, Olive Garden was THE restaurant back in high school – everyone had their birthday dinners there.

And I love finding new fro-yo places!
Parita recently posted..Being an Adult

26 Rachel August 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

omg cookie butter is dangerous! Enjoy it! haha I gave mine to my Dad because I knew it would be gone in a day if I kept it :p

I was such a nerd in high school haha so my “cool” thing to do was orchestra lessons and the school play after school :p

27 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles August 30, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oh goodness, the old days- where everyone was trying to do THE in thing….. My town was sooooo small that the thing to do was to go to the neighboring town, which was MUCH larger—– it had a stoplight! Oh my! Then we could cruise around listening to music and be cooooool!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Meet our bundle of joy!

28 Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 30, 2012 at 10:46 am

I love reminiscing about high school times :D The mall was definitely one of THE places to be, and so was the movie theater. We also had this huuuuge rec room type thing where you could go bowling, play billiards, watch sports on the big screen… it honestly felt like a pub, which is why I think everyone wanted to go there lol. I miss those times! Things were so much more simple. And then everyone got cars, and started working, and getting married… but I guess that’s just another phase of life :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... what i [eat] wednesday .

29 Steph @ StephSnacks August 30, 2012 at 10:54 am

Welcome to the cookie butter craze! I have a near-empty jar in my fridge right now :P
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

30 Smile August 30, 2012 at 11:00 am

Just curious do you still do training at gym? I am jealous of all your free time! Also do you miss teaching? Thought you might with the start of the new year.

31 Courtney August 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’m actually no longer at the gym I was previously at, but I am looking into some other options right now.
I honestly don’t miss teaching and am so, so happy with my decision. I guess I miss certain aspects of it (i.e., the kids!) but as a whole, I don’t miss it :)

32 Jen August 30, 2012 at 11:06 am

When we were in high school we would all meet up and sit in our cars and talk in a parking lot of a pizza place in town! Sometimes there were “beverages” disguised as big sodas from the gas station as well.
Jen recently posted..One more move…..

33 debbie August 30, 2012 at 11:14 am

I ruin my mani’s & pedi’s all the time. Too impatient to wait!

34 Janae @ Bring-Joy August 30, 2012 at 11:36 am

I grew up in a small rural town, not much to do other than sports & school dances. Taco Bell was the hang out. Let’s just say I was thrilled to go to college in a much bigger place.
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..Going Gluten-free: Why I went gluten-free, my top gf flours, & a Bob’s Red Mill giveaway

35 Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine August 30, 2012 at 11:46 am

Hang out at the movies every friday in middle school, and parent’s would carpool and pick us up at 7:30p haha. We lived at out huge mall- Eason- every day in high school, and if you worked there, you were extra cool. ;)
Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine recently posted..Pervert in the Shower

36 Lauren August 30, 2012 at 11:47 am

I have a jar of that crack opened in my pantry and really the only thing I use it for is baking. It’s a tad too sweet for me to just enjoy on its own but it goes so well in brownies!
Lauren recently posted..1000 Pounds

37 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie August 30, 2012 at 11:48 am

Cookie butter is AMAZING! Good luck keeping that for more than a few days!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..September Goals (& August Recap)

38 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

The town I went to high school in was small and kind of hick-ish, so Friday/Saturday nights usually consisted of hockey games, hanging out in/behind the Tim Hortons, going to the skatepark or finding someone who could drive and convince them to drive into the city so you could go see a movie or what-have-you.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..And It’s Done.

39 Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits August 30, 2012 at 12:45 pm

It’s nearly impossible for me to get my other half to the mall too, so when we go it’s always lots of fun!
Brittany @ Little b’s healthy habits recently posted..Clean Banana Protein Bread!

40 robfiasco @ run2thehills August 30, 2012 at 12:48 pm

we were huge into getting coffee in high school and college. Perkins or Friendly’s usually had a bottomless cup of coffee for $1 or so and we’d stay there for hours. (the waitresses msut’ve hated us)

we’d also go to applebee’s after a night of bowling.

those were good times.
robfiasco @ run2thehills recently posted..#PROOF

41 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights August 30, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I grew up in a really small town, so our big events were sporting events and hanging out at Culvers in high school. I went to college in the north suburbs of Chicago, so we were always able to find something to do on weekends! Never a dull moment!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Trail Blazer

42 Shannon August 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

There’s not really a popular crowd at my school since my class is at a small number compared to other local high schools in the area. The stuff that most people do these days is go to the mall/movies, and Stewart’s after school. Most people stay after school and hang out with each other.

43 kaylie August 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Aw I hate it when the power goes out! Glad it wasn’t too long for ya, though!

In high school, my friends and I always hung out at this local pizza place down the street from my highschool. They had a deal where you could get a slice of pizza, salad, breadstick, and drink for 4bucks!

44 Michelle@Peachy Palate August 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Going for a milkshake was such a long extended event! Or when we were in Uni and really broke going for a game of pool was the highlight of the week!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A whole new light

45 erica August 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm

in highschool, THE thing to do was go to old spaghetti factory. lol.
erica recently posted..mission accomplished

46 claire August 30, 2012 at 5:44 pm

In highschool, the cool place to go was Steak N’ Shake after football games. Otherwise, Starbucks! I believe that’s how my addiction started ;-) HAHA

47 claire August 30, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oops, my comment didn’t have the CommentLuv “http” in front. Here is the link to my page in case you wanted to check it out!
claire recently posted..Doing it right

48 Regan August 30, 2012 at 9:58 pm

we visited my parents this weekend… and my parents said we HAD to try the cookie butter.. so yummy!!.. have you enjoyed yet????

49 Mollie @ Sprinkles of Life August 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Uh Oh… you are in trouble with that cookie butter! I eat it with a spoon!
Mollie @ Sprinkles of Life recently posted..Talking food with your kids- School Lunches

50 Bek @ Crave August 31, 2012 at 12:48 am

I remember movie dates use to be the only dates around in high school haha! Yum cookie butter looks awesome. We don’t have that here- luckily or unluckily? Haha. I’ve been meaning to ask you about your cupcake freezing- do they taste as good after being defrosted?I would always assume for some weird reason that they are more a same day bake same day eat sorta thing; especially for special occasions and stuff- at home doesn’t count cuz it’s just for yourself and family :P
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Out of it

51 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey August 31, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Every weekend we used to go out to eat with our friends, and then seriously drive around. We were awesome.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday