Fresh Start

by Courtney on September 4, 2012

Welp, it looks like summer is officially over. Womp womp.

Good thing I had some fun celebrating the last few days of it over the long weekend! Here’s what was happenin’…

I know that everyone has different ideas of when summer is “officially” over but I’ve always considered the first day back to school to be that day. Today, as soon as I signed on to Facebook (or turned on the local news) all the talk was about everyone heading back to school (I have quite a few teacher friends!). A couple of years ago, that also would have been me, and I would have used today as somewhat of a “fresh start” for a new year.

Even though I’m not walking through the doors of a school today, I’m still looking at today as a new fresh start. The past few months have been pretty draining at times, both mentally and emotionally. Now that’s not to say that it’s been all bad – I mean, I really had quite an incredible summer…

I won the gold (by default, but whatev) in Summer Yard Olympics, had a blast at HLS and spoke again on a panel, got to be in the weddings of two of my best friends, had a great time with our softball team, started my online training business, got to be on TV, and had endless amounts of fun with friends and family.

So now, with this new fresh start of mine, it’s time to remember to keep living in the moment and remember that everything happens for a reason!

*****

To kick start my day, I started it off on the right foot (well actually, both feet) with a workout.

I tried out a fun new treadmill workout that I basically made up on the fly, and it made the time go by wicked fast. I’ll have to share with you guys soon…as soon as I actually type it up.

Post-workout and shower, it was breakfast tiiiime.

A delicious mug of coffee

And a whole wheat bagel thin, toasted and topped with a spread of pumpkin + peanut butter, banana slices, and chia seeds.

My gosh, I have missed that pumpkin. I’m so, so glad to have it back. It just makes my heart happy.

I’m outta here in a few minutes to head to a doc appointment, take care of a few errands, and possibly make a quick pit stop by Starbucks to see if we have pumpkin lattes at our locations yet.

Because I’m not obsessed or anything…

Questions for the Morning:

Do you have certain times of the year that you like to make your own “fresh starts?”

Anyone else starting with me today?? Smile

1 Elaine September 4, 2012 at 9:44 am

I always associate Labor Day weekend with starting fresh. Usually NYE too, although I’m not a huge NYE resolution person. I am always striving to make improvements to my life where it’s needed. But having various points throughout the year to re-evaluate and think about ways to make your life better is always nice-good to have reminders :)

And I’m going to have to try spreading pumpkin on my bagel! That sounds delicious.
Elaine recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookie

2 Khushboo September 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

Wow I know I read your blog daily but when you put it all together, you really had a fab summer! Hope the rest of year only gets better for you, Courtney :)
Khushboo recently posted..Keen on Quinoa

3 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

i’ve heard the pumpkin spice latte is back at starbucks and I NEED to go get one asap..they are my favorite!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Recipe: Healthy and Easy Vegetable Frittata

4 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets September 4, 2012 at 10:01 am

I’m totally with you! My two biggest times during the year for a fresh start are new years & the beginning of fall, but I’m sure this is the same way for everyone! I also feel a bit of a sense of a “fresh start” at the beginning of every season. I absolutely LOVE re-organizing my closet for the new seasons & selecting some fun, new seasonal recipes to try!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Tasting The Last of Summer + Healthy Tandoori Chicken Salad

5 Angela @ Health's Angel September 4, 2012 at 10:03 am

I agree with your thoughts on Labor Day. To me it makes a perfect time for a fresh start. I’m really stubborn about summer ending though, so I normally extend it more as long as humanly possible. ;-)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Things Labor Day Weekend Taught Me

6 Rachel September 4, 2012 at 10:24 am

aww I’m with you and the feeling of starting school = a fresh start.. it’s so weird because this is my first September with no school
Rachel recently posted..Here Comes The Rain

7 Jodi September 4, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m on board with you today too! Heading home for lunch to start my new fitness challenge. I totally have to find out what this ‘spread of pumpkin and peanut butter’ is all about- yumzy!!

8 Stef September 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’m definitely on board with the “fresh start” now too! School has always triggered that feeling for me, and now that I am a teacher (well…right now I am part-time substitute teacher while I stay at home with my son) I still feel the same way. I’m hoping to make some good goals soon!
Stef recently posted..Labor Day happenings.

9 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 4, 2012 at 10:42 am

I’m with you on a fresh start today! I definitely think the change of seasons is a great time for a fresh start! I’m going to aim to focus on being more positive and living in the moment for the month of September!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..I Finally Did it….Gluten Free Funfetti

10 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 4, 2012 at 10:42 am

I always consider the new year my fresh start :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

11 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

Since moving to Boston, you can totally FEEL the seasons changing. One minute it’s 90 degrees and hot as heck, the next day it’s in the cool 70′s and you can hear the leaves crunching under your feet. I’m so excited for my very first REAL fall up here!! :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Labor Day: Weekend Recap

12 Alyssa September 4, 2012 at 10:49 am

I am with ya on this one – I like beginning a fresh diet and workout routine right after Labor Day and of course on New Year’s Day like everyone else! It’s nice to keep yourself in check!
Alyssa recently posted..My Recent Lunch Addiction

13 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 4, 2012 at 10:58 am

After lots of indulging this holiday weekend, I’m ready to clean up my routine and get back on track. Fresh starts are always a great idea! Whenever, I recognize the need, I tell myself to “pull it together” and start over. :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Pictures from Labor Day Weekend

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

As a school teacher (even though I’m on maternity leave currently)- I consider the first day of school the end to summer- I ended up going into labor while I was teaching on the second day of school so my fresh start was pretty short!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Meet our bundle of joy!

15 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced September 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

Since school ended I’ve always used New Years as my Fresh Start. It’s the beginning of a new year and there are so many ways to make it amazing! Although, I start planning for the following year around summertime!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Rainy Day Workout Blues

16 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess September 4, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m sipping a Pumpkin Spice Latte right now! So your local Sbux should have it! Its heavenly:)
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..MIMM: Good Eats

17 Shannon September 4, 2012 at 11:25 am

Julie H. of Spinach & Sprinkles- Congratulations on your new baby!! He’s so adorable. :) I’m not much of a baby person, so that’s a compliment.

My fresh starts come when school starts up again and New Year’s. I’m starting my fresh start next Monday.

18 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 4, 2012 at 11:28 am

It used to be when school stared, but here in California, some schools started back in July. Now for me it’s Labor Day! However it’s suppose to be in the 90′s today, which I will enjoy!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chicken Pot Pies / Skinny Bitch Club

19 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

I’ve always considered back to school time the end of summer too, even if I’m not going back to school anymore (although this year I am!). Pumpkin with breakfast this morning, I’m totally jealous! I’ve been craving it non-stop lately!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..So Long Summer

20 Mary September 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I was at Latham Circle SBUX today and I know they have PSL. It doesn’t relly do it for me, so more for you!

21 Linz @ Itz Linz September 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

as a teacher i’ve been in school for THREE WEEKS now!! we used to start after labor day, and now itz much, much before. here’s to a good year and a fresh start – no matter when itz starting (started!) :) :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Random 10K Race Success

22 Beks September 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm

New Years and Start of school are my start over times. Earlier this year, I’d planned to start working out, but had no direction, and then this week (started yesterday), I started a new workout program with a goal of new workout shoes to work toward. That is my “Restart.”
Beks recently posted..LiveFit Program: Day One

23 Katie September 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Summer FLEW by! Wowza! I enjoy a “fresh start” mentality as the seasons change or whenever I’m just ready for a change! Hopefully SBux delivered on the pumpkin latte!
Katie recently posted..It’s Not Vacation Unless the Sheriff Shows Up…

24 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Haha I have a crazy amount of teacher friends, as I learned on Facebook today. Nothing makes you feel old quite like having all of your newsfeed taken up with “First day of teaching!” statuses instead of “First day of school :( ” statuses.

I usually use the new year as my time for a “fresh start,” but beginnings in general tend to be the best time for me to make a change — new month, new week, that sort of thing.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..End in Sight

25 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Mmmm….pumpkin lattes are my crack! They are seriously one of my favourite things of the year. Must. Get. To. Starbucks. :D

I like to think of January 1st as my fresh start. I don’t really ‘do’ resolutions, but I do like to evaluate my goals from the past year, see how I did (and see what is still important to me because things change!) and of course make some new ones.
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..See the Beauty in Your Own Backyard

26 Annette@FitnessPerks September 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm

What a fun Summer you had!

I love pumpkin –yay for the season :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Head To Bed, Not For The Sugary Snacks

27 Alicia September 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I have to say for me its my birthday. But since my birthday is in October and that is when Fall really starts here in Cali it goes hand in hand with the idea to change my own leaves.
Alicia recently posted..Actual Labor Day: Day 42 + Month Goals

28 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Going back to school is a fresh start for me too. I used to be a teacher also and am now a diagnostician and do special ed testing. So, when the kiddos go back, I go back. It is a great time to relook at goals you had for the year and reprioritize things. I’m super excited about pumpkin too. This morning it was pumpkin coffee with pumpkin oats!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Too much of a good thing: Exploring the Paleo diet

29 Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails September 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I was all about the pumpkin in my breakfast too! I have started seeing Halloween decorations everywhere and it’s all I can do to keep myself from busting out our spiderwebs and wicker pumpkins.
Chelsea @ CardioandCocktails recently posted..It’s Pumpkin Time!

30 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 4, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Here here! I’m with you! :) Pumpkin with peanut butter…fantastic idea! I shall be trying that one!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Before they disappear

31 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings September 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm

My first day of school is today (last year of grad school!), and I always look at the beginning of the fall as a fresh start! After a relaxing summer, I’m ready to get back in a routine and have a fun, productive last year!
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..Back to school… back to school…

32 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 4, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I heard that today marked the return of PSL! I don’t think I’ll have a chance to get one today, but I’ll be trying my best to make a stop tomorrow!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal

33 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 4, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I agree–September is such a more motivating month than January for me! I think the change in season helps too–whereas in December to January, it just goes from cold and snowy to colder and snowy. ;)
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Welcome, September!

34 Alison September 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Me! Back to school….. happy but not.

35 Jennifer September 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I’m with you! I always consider “Fall” starting after the Labour Day weekend and often will set new goals for myself for the “new” year. :)

36 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 4, 2012 at 7:08 pm

September is definitely a great time for fresh starts – I’m with you on that! I’m starting grad school next week after taking a year off after I got my Bachelors. I moved to a new city too!

Definitely new, definitely exciting. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Process of Moving.

37 Katy September 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Fall is my favorite time of year. The air smells so fresh and it always gets me motivated. It also marks a new school year! The sounds, smells, and sights of fall are amazing.
Katy recently posted..First Day Jitters

38 Andrea @ Barbells and Buttercream September 4, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I also measure time in school years since I have 3 kids. They started back today and I got back to my 5 a.m. workout (I go later in the summer). It wasn’t as painful as I thought it would be and it was a “fresh start” to my day!

39 Becky September 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I can relate to the “fresh start”. I’m a sixth grade teacher, and we just started back last week. My body has kind of gone on strike and isn’t readjusting well to the school year schedule…it wants summertime back. But, on the bright side, I’m SO looking forward to Fall and the changing of the seasons. That always brings feelings of “newness” and joy for me. Bring on the sweaters, the boots, and the pumpkin spice lattes!
Becky recently posted..thank goodness for leftovers.

40 Sarah B. September 4, 2012 at 10:16 pm

After having a crazy — but fun! — labor day weekend I decided Monday was definitely going to be a fresh start for me! I got back to the grind and it felt good to be working out and not eating meals made of 90% carbs. :)
Sarah B. recently posted..A Laborless Weekend

41 Bek @ Crave September 5, 2012 at 12:14 am

New Years and the start of summer or spring is usually a fresh start I reckon.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Obstacles