Fresh Start

Welp, it looks like summer is officially over. Womp womp.

Good thing I had some fun celebrating the last few days of it over the long weekend! Here’s what was happenin’…

I know that everyone has different ideas of when summer is “officially” over but I’ve always considered the first day back to school to be that day. Today, as soon as I signed on to Facebook (or turned on the local news) all the talk was about everyone heading back to school (I have quite a few teacher friends!). A couple of years ago, that also would have been me, and I would have used today as somewhat of a “fresh start” for a new year.

Even though I’m not walking through the doors of a school today, I’m still looking at today as a new fresh start. The past few months have been pretty draining at times, both mentally and emotionally. Now that’s not to say that it’s been all bad – I mean, I really had quite an incredible summer…

I won the gold (by default, but whatev) in Summer Yard Olympics, had a blast at HLS and spoke again on a panel, got to be in the weddings of two of my best friends, had a great time with our softball team, started my online training business, got to be on TV, and had endless amounts of fun with friends and family.

So now, with this new fresh start of mine, it’s time to remember to keep living in the moment and remember that everything happens for a reason!

To kick start my day, I started it off on the right foot (well actually, both feet) with a workout.

I tried out a fun new treadmill workout that I basically made up on the fly, and it made the time go by wicked fast. I’ll have to share with you guys soon…as soon as I actually type it up.

Post-workout and shower, it was breakfast tiiiime.

A delicious mug of coffee

And a whole wheat bagel thin, toasted and topped with a spread of pumpkin + peanut butter, banana slices, and chia seeds.

My gosh, I have missed that pumpkin. I’m so, so glad to have it back. It just makes my heart happy.

I’m outta here in a few minutes to head to a doc appointment, take care of a few errands, and possibly make a quick pit stop by Starbucks to see if we have pumpkin lattes at our locations yet.

Because I’m not obsessed or anything…

Questions for the Morning:

Do you have certain times of the year that you like to make your own “fresh starts?”

Anyone else starting with me today?? Smile

I always associate Labor Day weekend with starting fresh. Usually NYE too, although I’m not a huge NYE resolution person. I am always striving to make improvements to my life where it’s needed. But having various points throughout the year to re-evaluate and think about ways to make your life better is always nice-good to have reminders :)

And I’m going to have to try spreading pumpkin on my bagel! That sounds delicious.
    Elaine recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookie

I’m totally with you! My two biggest times during the year for a fresh start are new years & the beginning of fall, but I’m sure this is the same way for everyone! I also feel a bit of a sense of a “fresh start” at the beginning of every season. I absolutely LOVE re-organizing my closet for the new seasons & selecting some fun, new seasonal recipes to try!
    Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Tasting The Last of Summer + Healthy Tandoori Chicken Salad

3. Jodi says

I’m on board with you today too! Heading home for lunch to start my new fitness challenge. I totally have to find out what this ‘spread of pumpkin and peanut butter’ is all about- yumzy!!

I’m definitely on board with the “fresh start” now too! School has always triggered that feeling for me, and now that I am a teacher (well…right now I am part-time substitute teacher while I stay at home with my son) I still feel the same way. I’m hoping to make some good goals soon!
    Stef recently posted..Labor Day happenings.

Julie H. of Spinach & Sprinkles- Congratulations on your new baby!! He’s so adorable. :) I’m not much of a baby person, so that’s a compliment.

My fresh starts come when school starts up again and New Year’s. I’m starting my fresh start next Monday.

New Years and Start of school are my start over times. Earlier this year, I’d planned to start working out, but had no direction, and then this week (started yesterday), I started a new workout program with a goal of new workout shoes to work toward. That is my “Restart.”
    Beks recently posted..LiveFit Program: Day One

Haha I have a crazy amount of teacher friends, as I learned on Facebook today. Nothing makes you feel old quite like having all of your newsfeed taken up with “First day of teaching!” statuses instead of “First day of school :( ” statuses.

I usually use the new year as my time for a “fresh start,” but beginnings in general tend to be the best time for me to make a change — new month, new week, that sort of thing.
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..End in Sight

Mmmm….pumpkin lattes are my crack! They are seriously one of my favourite things of the year. Must. Get. To. Starbucks. 😀

I like to think of January 1st as my fresh start. I don’t really ‘do’ resolutions, but I do like to evaluate my goals from the past year, see how I did (and see what is still important to me because things change!) and of course make some new ones.
    Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..See the Beauty in Your Own Backyard

Going back to school is a fresh start for me too. I used to be a teacher also and am now a diagnostician and do special ed testing. So, when the kiddos go back, I go back. It is a great time to relook at goals you had for the year and reprioritize things. I’m super excited about pumpkin too. This morning it was pumpkin coffee with pumpkin oats!
    kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Too much of a good thing: Exploring the Paleo diet

I can relate to the “fresh start”. I’m a sixth grade teacher, and we just started back last week. My body has kind of gone on strike and isn’t readjusting well to the school year schedule…it wants summertime back. But, on the bright side, I’m SO looking forward to Fall and the changing of the seasons. That always brings feelings of “newness” and joy for me. Bring on the sweaters, the boots, and the pumpkin spice lattes!
    Becky recently posted..thank goodness for leftovers.

After having a crazy — but fun! — labor day weekend I decided Monday was definitely going to be a fresh start for me! I got back to the grind and it felt good to be working out and not eating meals made of 90% carbs. :)
    Sarah B. recently posted..A Laborless Weekend