Sooooo, last week I showed you all those lemon cupcakes that I made.
And many, many of you requested a recipe. While this particular batch of cupcakes was made from scratch, I figured I’d share another quick and easy way to replicate the cupcake, along with the same filling and frosting recipes.
So here you have it!
Triple Lemon Cupcakes
Sooo lemony and delicious!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
Lemon Filling Ingredients:
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 box (3 oz.) lemon pudding mix
Lemon Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
To Make the Cupcakes:
Prepare cupcakes as directed on package (feel free to substitute unsweetened applesauce for oil, if desired) and add in lemon zest. Cook as directed and allow to cool completely.
To Fill Cupcakes:
- Prepare filling – Empty whipping cream into a chilled metal bowl and beat with hand mixer on medium speed until soft peaks start to form. Add in lemon pudding mix and beat an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Using a small knife or cupcake plunger (you can see what I use in this vlog), hollow out middles of cupcakes, reserving tops.
- Fill a medium-sized pastry bag with a medium round tip (or snip the edge off of a sandwich baggie and do the same). Squeeze filling into hollowed out cupcakes and fill right to the top.
To Make the Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined. Slowly add 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, beating well.
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and gradually add in 2 more cups confectioners’ sugar.
- Begin adding milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until frosting reaches desired consistency.
- To frost (and get the look above) – Fill a medium sized pastry bag fitted with a large star tip with frosting. In a circular motion, frost tops of cupcakes, working into a peak. (You can see more on frosting techniques in this vlog)