Wine Tour Fun!

by Courtney on September 9, 2012

Oh my goodness…SUCH a fun day yesterday!

After about a 3.5 hour ride, our car (Sarah, Jeff, Brook, Andrea, me, and Jay) made it out to the camp we were staying at to meet up with our other car (Kanika and Shaheen) and our hosts for the day, Scott and Liz (pictured right), who are newbies to the blog (Scott is Jeff’s brother). They were absolutely amazing hosts and did so much to make the day great – thanks again you guys!

We made it out there in perfect timing, so within about 15 minutes we were in the limo and on the road en route to our first stop of the day. Even though it wasn’t quite noon yet, that didn’t stop a majority of the crew from getting a head start.

By the time we pulled up to our first stop – Three Brothers Wineries – it was raining buckets. Literally, the water was flying off the roofs of the building in sheets.

We quickly got out and headed under shelter so we could get the festivities under way.

Three Brothers is actually made up of three wineries plus a brewery, so we were given a “Tasting Passport” to bring to each of the stops.

The first one we hit up was Passion Feet, which was suuuuper crowded (and full of bachelorette parties!).

I realized as I was just going through all of my photos yesterday that I really did not take any photos of any of the wine. Woops.

Once we finished up at Passion Feet, we trekked it back out into the rain (which, luckily, had slowed down to a drizzle) and into the woods to Bagg Dare.

The atmosphere in Bagg Dare was super fun – sort of bad ass and laid back at the same time…as if you couldn’t already tell by their names of wine.

Lots of fun ensued!

Our third stop, Stony Lonesome, never got documented, but that was probably my favorite winery of the day. They had a ton of different Rieslings to select from and their 1st Degree was definitely a favorite – I’m kicking myself for not picking up a bottle.

While we were there, I also ended up running into a blog reader (Hi, Kellie!) which was super fun.

Our last stop at Three Brothers was the brewery, War Horse. We had already been given the heads up on their Riesling Ale, and people weren’t lying…that stuff was delicious.

Jay and I ended up buying a couple 22-ounce bottles of that to bring home with us.

Our crew…having so much fun and feeling pretty darn good. Winking smile

Once we were finished at Three Brothers, we hopped back in the limo and ventured to our second destination of the day, Ventosa Vineyards. We didn’t have a reservation here, but they said they’d be able to accommodate us after a short wait, so we decided to order a couple of their pizzas and enjoyed them out on the back patio.

That pizza, by the way? Amazing. And not just because we were buzzed, I swear.

IMG_4385IMG_4386

After what seemed to be a super short wait, we were called back inside and told that our tasting spot was ready.

Again, some more good wine was had by all, and once we were finished there, it was back to the limo once again, where more shenanigans ensued.

IMG_4391IMG_4393IMG_4390IMG_4395

Have I mentioned how much fun we had yet? Winking smile

Our third stop of the day brought us to Fox Run Vineyards.

IMG_4397IMG_4399

By this point in the day, most of the wines were starting to taste pretty similar. If you’ve ever had wine from out near the Finger Lakes, then you probably already know that the majority of the wine is pretty sweet. We actually learned that it has something to do with how the grapes grow out there, but that’s about the extent of my knowledge.

I wasn’t there to learn…obviously.

Love these guys and gals!

After Fox Run, we actually ended up making it to one more winery, Deer Run, before calling it a day (our limo time ran out). With our wine tasting done for the day, some of the group ended up going out and riding go-karts nearby and some stayed back at the camp. Towards the end of the evening, we had a good ‘ol cookout of burgers, hot dogs, chicken, salad, and plenty of other snacks.

By 9pm, everyone’s energy was dropping quick, and by 10pm it was time for bed. After getting up at 5am and drinking wine all day long, it was definitely a recipe for an early bed time. If my calculations serve me correctly, I believe we all ended up tasting about 40 different wines throughout our tour…

Needless to say, it was an absolutely fantastic day and everyone had a blast (and nobody got sick OR hungover, so it was a win-win!).

Now I’m sitting here relaxing on the couch and watching my Jets kick BUTT. WOO HOO for football season! Smile

1 Sana September 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

You and your group of friends look like so much fun :)
Sana recently posted..Boobie Contraption

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Courtney, those are my three favorite Finger Lakes Wineries–great choices! Did you get a wine slushie at Three Brothers? OMG, it is life-changing. So, so delicious. Glad you had such a great day! :D
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Snapshot Saturday – September 8

3 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I wouldn’t have made it passed the first stop! I’m such a light weight and you all look so incredibly sober even at the end!!! :) The pizza provided much needed soak-age obviously!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Sting like a bee

4 Laura @Running Maryland September 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I did a wine tasting tour in the finger lakes area and 2 of the ones I remember doing were Deer Run and Fox Run. I agree it was a blast for us as well.

I am from upstate NY as well so I should be some sort of NY fan but I am a Packers fan all the way. Yay for football season!
Laura @Running Maryland recently posted..Go! Pack! Go!

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Looks like a fabulous weekend! There’s nothing better than good friends, good food, and good drinks! And it’s also a big plus when no vomit or hangovers are involved ;) Happy Sunday!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... a simple saturday .

6 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

i’m so jealous of your wine tasting tour it sounds like a blast! and not having a hangover after drinking wine is always a plus!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Meal Plan 9/9

7 Angela @ Health's Angel September 9, 2012 at 3:43 pm

That looks like a blast. I would love to do a wine tasting. Wine is my alcoholic drink of choice, for sure! Also, I love, love, love your scarf! So pretty.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..What Up, PiYo?

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Very cool day. And I love your outfit … very cute! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A pre-birthday weekend celebration.

9 Khushboo September 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Such a fun day! Going on a wine-tasting tour is on my bucket list of things to do. And hey, it’s never to early for happy hour ;)
Khushboo recently posted..Link lovin’

10 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Looks like a very fun time! There’s nothing better than relaxing on Sundays with a football game on! My perfect Sunday for sure!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Tropical Pineapple Coconut Chicken Salad

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 9, 2012 at 4:04 pm

40 different wines! Sooooooo jealous! ….It totally looks like a good time was had by all! :) Perfect.
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Labor & Delivery Surprises

12 Jordan September 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

It looks like you guys had so much fun! you and Jay are too stinkin’ cute.
Are those your new jeans?! I went to AE yesterday and got 3 pairs too :) score!
Jordan recently posted..Starbucks Controls the Seasons

13 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Looks like SUCH a fun day!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Sunday Spotlight / Rockstar Sterling

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm

This sounds like such a fun day! I don’t know if I’ve ever had any wine from the Finger Lakes, but if it’s generally sweet, then I’m sure I’d like it!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..First PSL of the Season

15 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Looks like a great time, but how could it not be….tasting 40 different wines!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Paleo Go & Powermeals

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 9, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Drink that wine girl! ;)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

17 Rachel September 9, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Looks like you had fun! I looove your scarf!

18 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 9, 2012 at 8:07 pm

What a fun weekend you had!! I love getting together with a big group of friends and though I have never been wine tasting I can imagine that would make it even more fun!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Are you Ready For Some Football

19 Alyssa September 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

AHHH I really need to look into some wine tours…they seem so fun!
Alyssa recently posted..Gearing Up for Fitmixer Bootcamp

20 Alicia September 9, 2012 at 11:46 pm

That wine tour looked like so much fun! I wonder if they have anything around here like that…but more Beer related.
Alicia recently posted..Sunday Plan Day + Daily Stats 46 – 48

21 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 10, 2012 at 7:22 am

I love going wine tasting. My sister and I always go for her birthday. Sounds like a fun time! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Dog That Is So Loved…

22 Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 10, 2012 at 8:18 am

Ahh how fun is this Courtney! This of course looks like a fantastic time and it’s just so lovely you have that fun group to experience it with :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..When You’re Vulnerable

23 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud September 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

that looks like so much fun!!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud recently posted..Soft Peanut Butter Banana Protein Cookies

24 Michelle @ Blogitness September 10, 2012 at 9:42 am

Jealous! This looks like so much fun!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Fudge Recipe

25 Steffi September 10, 2012 at 1:08 pm

We have a lakeside place just north of Fox Run! They have a fun Garlic Festival there every August, too. You should definitely come check it out :)

26 Courtney September 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Awww, no way! That sounds like so much fun…I’ll definitely have to keep that in mind :)

27 Bek @ Crave September 12, 2012 at 4:26 am

That looks like fun- even if I don’t like/drink wine! Haha.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Crossroads

28 Kellie September 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm

It was great to meet you. Unfortunately I didn’t have as much food in me to “soak it up” so I apologize for my condition you met me in! They were definately not skimpy on their tastings either! Anyways, glad you guys had a great time!

29 Courtney September 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hahaha, you were totally fine! I wouldn’t have thought anything of it…I was thinking the same thing about myself though. They definitely were quite generous! ;)

30 Jen October 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

LOVE your scarf!! Where did you get it?!?!

31 Courtney October 2, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thanks! It’s actually from American Eagle last year :)