Homemade Soup and Bread

by Courtney on September 10, 2012

Good Mooooorning! Did everyone have a fantastic weekend? I know I sure did…here’s what was going on around here:

Much to my surprise, after a very busy weekend, I didn’t think I’d be in much of a mood to do any sort of cooking last night when it came to dinner for me and the man. I was *this close* to suggesting takeout, but after a weekend full of treats, wine, and Dunkin Donuts breakfasts two mornings in a row, a nice home-cooked meal actually sounded like perfection.

So I headed out to the kitchen…and wound up not only making homemade soup, but I ALSO cranked out a fresh loaf of bread, too.

Who knew?!

My bread of choice was my Hearty Oat Loaf, which I hadn’t had in forever. (Holly, I always think of you when I make this for some reason!). This bread is fantastic because it doesn’t require any yeast and is done in less than an hour. It’s perfect…

…especially when topped with some homemade honey butter, which I most definitely did. (I literally just whip up butter and honey to taste…SO good).

The soup actually came together as I went, since I wasn’t really sure when I wanted to make. I started by looking at a recipe but realized I didn’t have about half of the ingredients that it called for, so I just sort of kept adding things to the pot.

I felt all professional and stuff. Winking smile

And since it turned out great and got four thumbs up between me and the hubs, I was very grateful for the fact that I kept track of my measurements for a recipe…which you can check out right at the bottom of this post. WOOT!

*****

It was a pretty early night to bed last night, so I was up ‘n at em at a pretty decent hour this morning. I got my workout in right away (my sweaty mess walking workout plus a few upper body exercises) and then came back upstairs to make some breakfast.

Today’s deliciousness included some simple scrambled eggs (1 egg + 1 egg white, a little milk, some dried basil, topped with ketchup) which just totally hit the spot. As much as I love adding lots of fresh veggies to my scrambles, sometimes the simple stuff is just where it’s at.

I also lightly toasted another slice of my hearty oat loaf and topped it with some peanut butter and strawberry jam.

Another reason I love this bread – it’s great for dinner AND for breakfast…and most likely a mid-morning snack, too. Winking smile

***************

And now, just in case you felt like making some soup this week…

veggies and noodles soup

***************

I’m thinking this is going to be great leftovers for tonight’s dinner, since we all know that soup always tastes better the next day.

Question for the Morning:

With fall weather approaching, I’m suddenly craving soups and stews…what are some of your favorite soup, stew, and chili recipes? Feel free to link up and share! I’m looking for some new ideas this season. Smile

1 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

With the cool weather rolling in, lately all I’ve wanted is some hot cocoa and hot soup! I love this time of year :)

2 Courtney September 10, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hahaha, I just saw your tweet about the wind blowing and loving fall! ;)

3 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love soup! It’s not quite cold enough for me to start making them in Florida but I’m saving this to make in bulk and freeze once the temps drop!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Massive Weekend Recap

4 Elaine September 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

That hearty oat loaf bread looks delicious AND easy. It’s always a plus when you find a recipe that doesn’t call for yeast. And the squash and carrot soup recipe you have on the same post looks amazing. It has fall written all over it :)
Elaine recently posted..Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 10, 2012 at 9:54 am

I suddenly want this bread and soup NOW! :) I can’t wait to make a bunch of soups and stews. It’s still pretty warm here, but it’s slowly but surely cooling off, so I know soup season is right around the corner!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..This Weekend There Was Some…

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

Looks delicious! Both the soup and the bread! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Madness

7 Courtney September 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

I made soup last night too! Very similar to yours. The only real difference is that I put some shredded chicken in mine and used orzo for the pasta. YUM! The best part is that I made enough to have for lunch all week. Bonus!

8 Courtney September 10, 2012 at 10:02 am

Courtneyyyyy!! Haha, hubby would have liked some chicken too but we didn’t have any ready to go.
Hope all is going well for you!! ;)

9 Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries September 10, 2012 at 10:02 am

It is absolutely FREEZING in my house right now, and that soup looks delicious. Never mind that it’s 9 a.m…. :)

It’d probably take me long than 40 minutes to make, though. I’m a painfully slow veggie chopper!
Chelsea @ Dine & Dash Diaries recently posted..Manic Monday: Tabata Trainer

10 lisa September 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

Where did you buy the adorable soup bowl and plate? I would love something like this for serving soup and bread or salad. Going to make this meal tonight, thanks!

11 Courtney September 10, 2012 at 10:16 am

I actually got them from QVC! I absolutely love them!! :)

12 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

I’m so glad that you kept of with your measurments! The soup sounds fabulous and with cooler weather moving in; I’ve been craving a yummy soup. I think I’ll try adding a little ground turkey to mine.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday & Make-ahead Meatballs

13 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced September 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

I love soup, I usually only get it at restaurants because I don’t like canned soup, but I want to start making my own! One of my favorites is split pea.. I found this recipe that I want to try soon…

Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..And She is Back with Monday Motivation

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 10, 2012 at 10:26 am

That soup sounds great! The bread looks really good too. I love having soup for dinner in the fall and winter :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Dog That Is So Loved…

15 Khushboo September 10, 2012 at 10:27 am

As much as I love veggies and always throw them into my meals, my scrambled eggs are always plain…don’t want to distract from the yolk flavor haha!
Khushboo recently posted..Say what now?

16 Rachel September 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

I totally know what you’re saying with craving soup… I’ve been dying to make my butternut squash soup, but just haven’t gotten around to getting a squash :p
Rachel recently posted..MIMM #6: Weekend Adventures

17 Sam @ The Real Pretty September 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

I have been on the soup/chili kick for over a month now & we just had our first “cool front” of the year. The high was 95– haha!

I made this hearty soup a few weeks ago on a whim and it turned out extremely delish! http://www.therealpretty.blogspot.com/2012/08/foodie-friday-crab-potato-soup.html
Sam @ The Real Pretty recently posted..Milo, Finn & My Achey Breaky Heart

18 Katie September 10, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love love love soup. Too many times during the hot summer I made soup because it’s so delicious. I’m super happy it’s getting colder out so making soup actually makes sense.

I altered a recipe for Southwest Chicken Barley Soup recently that’s really good and wrote about it here if you want to check it out!
Katie recently posted..Creepy for CrossFit

19 Katie September 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

…and the “here” was supposed to be http://wp.me/p2EN89-4p. Whoops!

20 Stef September 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

Soup is definitely one of my favorite fall and winter foods! I just made some chicken taco chili last night. No exact recipe, but I threw in some chicken, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, spices (chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika), and chicken broth. It was great served with some cheesy beer bread!
Stef recently posted..30 & a weekend re-cap.

21 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights September 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

That soup looks delish! I made my husband go to the store with me this weekend just to buy ingredients so we could eat soup, like, every day this week! My favorites are a homeade Zuppa Toscana (lightenend up, of course), butternut squash soup, roasted tomato soup, chili mac, and cream of mushroom! My mouth is watering now…
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Dash For A Splash

22 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

The soup and bread look terrific!! Nothing beats homemade bread! Yummy!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Weekly Recap and Football Favorites

23 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

Totally making that bread soon. We’re all out of fresh baked bread (of any kind) here, so I think that’ll remedy it ;)
Also – sounds like you had a BLAST this weekend! Reminds me of when a group of us went to southern IL for an all-day wine tour for my bday earlier this year. SO much fun :)
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..My Four Go-To Exercises to Target the Glutes and Shape the Booty

24 Debbie (Accidently Delish) September 10, 2012 at 11:50 am

that bread looks amazing. i am such a bread girl and have always wanted to make my own, this seems like a simply enough starter bread. wish me luck. haha.

and i wish it still wasnt 100 degrees in arizona or i would totally make some soup too!
Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen

25 Alicia September 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

That looks so yummy! It isn’t exactly soup weather yet over here but I am storing all these wonderful looking soups for when it starts getting colder here!
Alicia recently posted..Sunday Plan Day + Daily Stats 46 – 48

26 Megan@funsizedfitness September 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I love chicken pot-pie! I just found this recipe and am so excited to try it (once it cools down here in Texas :)

27 Connie September 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I’m LOVING this fall weather!! It’s making me so happy that I can’t really concentrate on studying..all cramped up inside. What a rough life;) I love this turkey chili recipe by Jamie Eason. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-recipes-3-bean-turkey-chili.html. Instead of making it on the stovetop, I throw everything in the crockpot. It’s so goood, and of course, it makes the house/apt smell amazzzing!
Connie recently posted..Miracle Noodles

28 Amanda September 10, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I love to make soups once the temperature drops! My fiancee and I actually do “Sunday Soups” and make a big pot on Sunday and then cuddle up and watch football. Here are a few of my favorites!

29 michelle kim September 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’m down for any soup that can be made in a Crockpot because it’s so easy and it’s ready by the time I’m done with the day. I need to look for a healthy chili recipe (but I think you have a chili recipe, right?).
michelle kim recently posted..My First 5K Race

30 Courtney September 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm
31 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Oh my goodness, that soup looks so delicious, especially with this sore throat that I am fighting!!

I am looking forward to a pot of chicken and dumplings and some potato soup as the weather gets cooler. Yum!!

Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Today Makes Eight

32 Annette@FitnessPerks September 10, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Mmmmm oat loaf. Sounds delicious!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Fab Weekend + Vega On The Go

33 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Totally pinned that bread for making a vegan friendly version!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A flash in the pan

34 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 10, 2012 at 3:02 pm

WOW! That bread looks amazing and totally sounds reasonable to make! Putting that on the To Do list asap.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..13.1

35 Lauren September 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I had a hard (cold) reality shock this morning when I opened the window to eat breakfast and actually started shivering. Ugh, fall is here which means soups are definitely in my future. :)
Lauren recently posted..A Day in the Life of the Self Employed

36 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife September 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I just posted a pumpkin soup recipe today!! Love soup :)
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..Spicy Pumpkin Vegetable Soup

37 Lisa September 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I need to make that bread, how fun!
I can’t wait to make my own soup, SO excited for fall and making soups, chilis, and pumpkin filled recipes:)
Lisa recently posted..Fall Bucket List

38 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I made soup yesterday too! Pinning this for future reference! Gotta build up a soup recipe arsenal for the colder months!

39 Katie September 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I love honey butter – so easy and delicious! Perfect with chili and perfect for fall.
Katie recently posted..Weekend update: 9/11/12

40 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I actually have most of the ingredients on hand for that soup (surprisingly). Maybe if I’m feeling ambitious later tonight I’ll give it a try!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Trying New Things

41 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm

That soup looks delicious but even better is the bread!!!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday!

42 Leanne September 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I had my first bowl of pumpkin soup a week ago or so… and it made me so excited for fall! I love pumpkin soup – carrot soup and sweet potato soup the most in fall… see a theme going on here ;) I adore a sweet & creamy soup! My sweet tooth is huge and these veggies satisfy my needs for sweet ;) Love it!!
Leanne recently posted..Winnie the Pooh said it best: Forever and Ever isn’t long enough – I miss you Daddy

43 Katy September 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I love a good chili recipe but besides that, I made a chicken, prosciutto and kale soup this summer. I was inspired by some incredible noodles I found at Trader Joe’s. Here’s the recipe! http://savorlifesflavors.com/2012/06/28/summer-soup-recipe/. Enjoy!
Katy recently posted..What a Sweet Spot!

44 Kierston September 10, 2012 at 7:53 pm

That bread looks delicious…as does your soup :)

For some odd reason, I want me a bowl of soup now ;)
Kierston recently posted..Cheesy Egg Mmm-Muffins!

45 crystal September 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

soup sounds amazing to bad its till almost in the 90s here!

46 Emilie September 10, 2012 at 9:49 pm

The bread and soup look yummo! Soup is sooo good when it is cold and windy (like it is in my town at the mo)

PS your workout plan is kicking my butt :)
Emilie recently posted..Monday Delights – Sick with Cuteness

47 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 10, 2012 at 10:39 pm

It’s been forever since I’ve made bread – this one looks so tasty!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Post Where I Talk About School.

48 Holly September 12, 2012 at 1:54 pm

SORRRY I JUST saw this :/ I’m catching up on my blog reading now :) I have missed you- and I love that you think of me when you make that bread….it’s probably because I LOVE it so much! I cannot wait to make it again SOON- although I could honestly consume the whole thing myself in about 2 days…because I will eat it for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Haha! :)
Holly recently posted..The REAL Stuff.

49 Lisa September 19, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I made your hearty oat loaf and it was a hit…we loved it! I was wondering what you have found to be the best way to store it? thanks!

50 Courtney September 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Awesome! :)
I actually have an old tupperware container that it fits perfectly in to and that seems to work well