Apple Cider Vinegar…How Should I Do This?

Good morning! How about a lovely fall breakfast scene to start off your Friday?

For some reason, I haven’t really been into the oatmeal as much as I used to be lately. As always, I go through phases with my breakfasts, but up until today it just didn’t really appeal to me.

Up until today being the key words…I think I’m now officially back on the oatmeal train.

I whipped up a super simple batch of pumpkin oatmeal this morning and it turned out fantastic. Here’s what we’ve got…

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons chia seeds
  • 1/2 banana, thinly sliced and whipped into oats
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice

I topped my bowl off with a bit of almond butter and some crushed pecans, and enjoyed it along with my mug ‘o coffee.

Right before eating breakfast, I made another attempt at my “trying to become new morning routine” of drinking some apple cider vinegar.

This month (and for the remainder of 2012) I’m super excited to be working with GNC on their Fall/Winter campaign through FitFluential. As part of my involvement with the campaign, I’ve been given a number of their products to try out and review for the month. I’m still in the midst of trying out the others (so far, so good!) and will be reporting back on those shortly, but I just had to go ahead and mention the apple cider vinegar (ACV) today.

I really want to try making ACV a part of my morning routine. I’ve read numerous times about its many benefits, and I want in on the action. (Brittany actually wrote a really great post about the benefits of ACV, so if you’re interested, be sure to check it out.)

So GNC sent me a bottle of their Certified Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

It is raw, organic, unpasteurized, and also has the ‘mother’ of the vinegar, which is made up of strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules with living nutrients and bacteria.

If you’re thinking about using ACV, this is what you should look for (and the GNC price is great, too) – not the typical clear vinegar you can find in the grocery store, since it won’t have the same benefits.

So I’m ready…I want to give this bad boy a shot. I know it’s a great product. However, my gag reflex is just not in agreement with me yet.

I don’t know what it is, but I am having a really hard time figuring out a way of enjoying it. I can remember trying this years ago, at the recommendation of my doctor, when I was having some digestive issues, and I had the same reaction. I put out a call on Instagram last week and got some ideas; I tried it as a shot with some other ingredients mixed in, but that didn’t go too well. I also tried it mixed into my Fitmixer aminos, and that was pretty decent. But I still need more ideas…so if anyone has some, feel free to send ‘em my way, please! Smile

Questions for the Morning:

Have you ever tried taking ACV as a supplement?

Are there any certain foods/drinks that you have a hard time stomaching?

Comments

I do agree about the apple cider vinegar, I tried it back awhile ago with water each am and was not a fan. But I did find adding in some lemon juice and stevia helped a bit!
    Lindsey recently posted..A New List

2. Alexandra says

The past ffew days Ive actually been using ACV as a salad dressing for my lunch salads. I mix 1T ACV with 2T Hummus or honey mustard…delish!!

I love ACV and I drink it every day! I fill up a big glass about 3/4 the way with water, then fill the rest with cranberry juice, then put 3 cap fulls of the ACV in. You really can’t taste the ACV and it almost tastes like a spicy cranberry juice or something. I really don’t mind it like that.

4. Emily says

In the morning I mix a shot with pineapple juice, lime juice and honey. And at night I mix it in a large glass of water with lemon stevia drops! They are both delicious!!

5. Prathiba says

I mix in a tablespoon in a large amount of water. You can’t taste it but you can still smell it. I usually just chug it bc the smell is gross to me. I def want to hear updates on this bc I would love to make this a part of my daily routine!

6. Josefine says

I had the same problem when I first started drinking ACV. They recommend it on the Tone it up plan. The first few times I almost could not keep it down,
    so I started with just 1 tbsp and mixed it with apple juice and water. Then after a while I could drink it with 2 tbsp and now I just add water. I really like the strong taste and dont feel like I need the juice. I think it just takes some time to get used to it :-)

7. Kristie says

Hi Courtney! I’ve tried the ACV a couple ways using recipes from the ToneItUp girls… I prefer the first one but I thought both were pretty good (and didn’t make me gag!!) Keep us posted! :)

#1:
    1 tbs ACV
    4 oz. pineapple juice
    fresh squeezed lime
    ~1 tsp honey

#2:
    6 oz water
    2 oz apple juice
    couple dashes cinnamon
    1 dash cayenne

LOVE your fall-themed photos. That makes the oatmeal sound even more amazing (which I’m pinning your recipe so I can and WILL make it soon…I mean seriously, pumpkin ANYTHING is amazing, right?!)
    I also just started trying ACV in the mornings. 2 Tablespoons, diluted with a little bit of water. It’s not delicious, I’ll promise you that. However, I think I’m already noticing a few benefits. Curious to see how others are taking their own versions of ACV….
    Katie @wishandwhimsy recently posted..Exercise Spotlight | Curtsy Lunge

9. jessica simon says

I totally agree. So hard to stomach at first! I used to drink it straight up with stevia (like, shoot it lol) or in a little juice (grape and cranberry were the best in my opinion). But that only lasted so long…now I pack a salad for lunch almost every day so I just use it with cinnamon or a variety of random seasonings mixed in as a salad dressing! So far thats been the best option for me!
    The braggs ACV drinks are really good too! I mean once you have the whole acquired taste thing out of the way…haha

I do 8 oz of cold water, 2 tsp ACV, and half of a lemon squeezed in the morning (you can do it twice a day if you want to meet the recommended dosage)..and I’ve added stevia before, which takes away the sourness a little bit. Not the best drink, but at least I can chug it down!! :)
    Connie recently posted..October Unprocessed Challenge

11. Lindsay says

I mix it in with green tea and sweeten it up with stevia and/or honey… it’s still not delicious but drinking it with green tea makes me feel like I’m at least doing double duty haha.

I got so excited when I saw your post on ACV. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, and I have been using it as a supplement for a long time. ACV is great for many digestive disorders. I used it in so many things, but one of my favorite is to use it in the salad dressings I make. Here is one –> http://bit.ly/skhhsd Ps. I need to try the GNC one, eh?!
    Sarah Kay Hoffman recently posted..Get Off Your Butt: 5 Quick #FitFluential Resources for Your Everyday

I love ACV! I did a program where I drank a 8 oz of distilled watter and 1 tbsp of ACV before every meal and it worked really well. There first one in the morning was pretty hard to get down, but the other two didn’t seem as hard. :)

Good luck!
    Brandi recently posted..A little MIA

14. Nicole says

Oh yikes – I’m not sure I could stomach that, haha! But good for you! Not sure if this is even on your mind or not, but be careful with this stuff down the road when you may become preggo – unpasteurized stuff is a big no-no! :)

15. Hadley says

I drink ACV twice a day – I really think it has helped with digestive issues! The only way I can stomach it is by putting 1 1/2 teaspoons in a glass, a few drops of maple syrup or maple agave and filling the glass to the brim with water. Actually tastes good now!

16. Samantha says

LOVE acv, I usually take mine slightly diluted but mixed with a little honey and water and maybe lemon or lime juice and it’s really yummy! Hope you find what works for you!

17. Annie says

I used to take ACV every morning a few years ago and would mix it with a little apple juice or orange juice. I stopped using it bc I found it was making my teeth very sensitive and wearing out my enamel. But I loved it while I was using it! I was hardly ever bloated!

I have tried it before but I drank a drink that had other good women herbs in it besides ACV, so it tasted really good and not so harsh. I don’t think it’s made anymore. The only advice I have for drinking it is “really fast” like a shot of whiskey. ;-) Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..snooze button of life…

Reminds me of Kombucha…with the living bacteria. I’m curious to see what you think! Do you take a probiotic? I think a while ago I read that you did…it helped me tremendously when I was having my Crohn’s flair ups.
    & that breakfast scence is beautiful! It looks like something out of a cookbook :)
    Holly recently posted..The REAL Stuff.

Thanks so much for the link love lady. AVC is strong so I definitely don’t do it on it’s own as a shot (it’s not good for your teeth either). I use 2 tablespoons every morning – I dilute it with 6-8 oz of water, add a splash of all natural, unsweetened apple juice (about 2-3 tablespoons) and then add 2-3 drops of liquid vanilla stevia and a dash of cinnamon. I serve it over a little ice and it tastes like liquid apple pie. Try it and let me know how it goes. :)
    Brittany recently posted..Butternut Squash Protein Pancakes

Call me crazy but I actually love ACV and so does my body!! I have MUCH less bloat when I remember to consume it on a regular basis. I also have major digestive/acid reflux issues and it helps so much. I normally drink mine in 1/2 cup water with a squeeze of honey and I don’t mind the taste at all. I have a friend who adds hers to green tea but I have never tried that so I can’t vouch for the taste.
    You could also try topping your salads with it on the days you eat them.
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..A Perfect Combination

22. Christine says

I have a coworker who drinks it straight like a shot and then follows it with a chaser of water…. I don’t know how he does it. I can’t stomach it.

I had no idea people were sneaking apple cider vinegar into so many things for health benefits! Just another reason I love the blogging world. I’ve used it before, but only in recipes for coleslaws, broccoli slaws, some asian stir fries. Never thought to drink it straight up! Sounds gross…maybe adding it to an apple pie inspired smoothie would be good?
    Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Officially Responsible.

So…I could drink ACV right out of the jar…and actually did as a kid. I think our bodies know what they crave, and apparently mine craved ACV and still does!

As far as using it daily, I do not. Scott, my fiance has digestive issues (acid refulx and takes medication daily for it) and actually makes homemade cabbage juice, buys sauerkraut juice, and drinks aloe vera juice, too. All of which help. He has also done ACV.

I’ll occasionally do ACV if my body feels really acidic (as it’s supposed to help balance Ph levels).

One thing I CANNOT stomach for the life of me is vegan protein powder mixed with water OR maca root powder (even though it’s fabulous for you…and full of amino acids, and vitamins!)
    Claire@NavigatingNorth recently posted..Creamy Balsamic Chicken

25. Beth says

I have found this ACV recipe to be my favorite !! Let me know what you think!
    6 oz water
    2 oz of ORGANIC APPLE JUICE (look at ingredients and make sure it is only apples) 2 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar

I read Brittany’s link which also linked to WebMD and I found the information there very interesting. ACV vinegar seems to have more of a folk remedy following than a recommendation from the scientific community based on the medical studies so far. I am interested in alternative medicine but there just doesn’t seem to be a lot of evidence (other than anecdotal) supporting the use of ACV. I don’t think I would want to choke something down that isn’t necessarily beneficial and can have potential harmful effects. Be careful! While I don’t love it by the tablespoonful, I do love it in vinaigrettes with maple syrup!
    Shana recently posted..A League of Their Own

27. Renee Langmeyer says

I’ve tried ACV before but I found that is was causing some throat irritation. I was taking it like a shot though so that may be why.

28. Chelsea says

Heat up some water in a mug, add two tablespoons ACV and a big spoonful of honey… almost like tea and works great when you have a cold too!

29. Molly Petsch says

I can’t imagine ever finding a way to ‘enjoy’ ACV but I sure do feel like a champ when I down a glass of water in the morning with ACV in it! Good luck… just know it’s good for you!

Your breakfast scene is what I was dreaming of this morning when I got a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks but sadly it failed to deliver. I think it’s because I denied myself the piece of pumpkin cake I really wanted hehe! The only way I’ve ever heard of someone enjoying it is with Fitmixer Aminos. Laura at Sprint2theTable does it every morning and sometimes she varies it up. You should check out her WIAW posts for ideas!
    Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Character Strengths: Applications to Daily Life

31. Amber says

For Tone It Up they have the Meta-D drink. It’s a combination of apple cider vinegar, a little bit of apple juice, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. ALSO have you made pumpkin oats in the microwave before? I wanna have hot pumpkin oats on school days but I’m nervous to try it in the microwave for some reason.

ACV can be a tough one. I usually either blend it into a smoothie/green juice, or add it to iced tea (that I make myself), or even add it to water with lemon juice, a little cinnamon, and stevia. I’ve been loving the pumpkin oats lately! I don’t see this addiction dying down anytime soon.
    Lisa recently posted..Coconut Milk “Ice Cream”

33. Shannon says

No, I’ve never tried using Apple Cider Vinegar as a supplement. I didn’t even think you could actually drink vinegar, but only use it for cooking.

34. laura says

I need some pumpkin so I can make that breakfast asap! I just recently started with the ACV and use a cup filled with lots of ice and a little over half of it with water. Then 1 not quite full shot gass with ACV and Kombucha, cranberry juice, or apple juice. The first sip in the morning kinda not my fav but by then end of the glass its good. Takes a little getting used to I started at half a shot.

35. Anita says

I drank ACV with pineapple juice and honey in the mornings for a little while, but I found that I got really bad heartburn! I think it can be really beneficial, but I’m on the Kombucha team, for this one :)

36. Kat says

I use 2 teaspoons with half glass of water. I use a straw so I drink it faster. I really don’t like the taste but I want the health benefits.

37. Rachel W says

I’m a little late with this, but I have a daily drink that consists of water (about 24 ounces), a packet of crystal light PURE (tropical fruit is the best) and then a teaspoon or two of apple cider vinegar. Delicious!

I’m desperately trying to acquire the ACV taste … I’m trying to make little baby ice cubes w/ ACV and then swallowing them. I was able to swallow a couple today, on a few I did gag, forgot not to breath – even frozen I could smell it. How long does it take to ‘get used to it’? I also brush my teeth afterwards to get the acidity off my teeth.

If you have cracked heels, take the peel and rub the inside on and around the cracks.
    A good facial moisturizer is a critical part of daily face care routine, and as part of a facial cream or
    facial moisture oil, almond oil gives extra nourishment needed
    without feeling oily or weighted down. If you are suffering
    from thin and brittle hair, almond oil can make your hair grow thicker
    and stronger over time as well.
    Larry recently posted..Larry

Rich in linoleic acid, vitamin E and many other essential fatty oils, it is especially effective for the repairing skin around the eyes
    and is known to visibly reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.

These organic oils are combined in single or mixed combinations with
    herbs, carrier oils, carbon dioxides, and water to create the final products.
    You will see harmful ingredients like Alcohol, Fragrances, Dioxanes etc.
    Danielle recently posted..Danielle

Trackbacks

1. […] This is actually a workout that I’ve given to a few of my online training clients, but it was one of my favorites so I thought I’d go ahead and share it with all of you today, as this month’s GNC workout. […]