Recipe Fail

by Courtney on September 17, 2012

Good Morning! So was everyone’s weekend absolutely fantastic? Hopefully you’re all well and rested for the start of another week. Thanks to my 9pm bedtime last night, I’m feeling great this morning after another fun and busy weekend…

So late yesterday afternoon, we headed over to my parents’ house to watch the Jets game (I don’t wanna talk about the game). My mom said that she didn’t really have anything “sweet” prepared, and said that I could bring something like that if I wanted to.

Twist my arm, mom.

I went and got all crazy festive and decided to try out a new recipe…cookie cake.

I mean just look at that thing. It was SO hard not to dig in before going over for the game, and I was so excited to share it with everyone.

Unfortunately, I wish I had dug in beforehand, because it turned out to be totally doughy in the middle. Major recipe fail.

I made it thinking it would just be like one big, giant cookie cake like you usually see in stores, but it was actually more like the texture of a cake, if that makes sense. Or, depending on where you cut into, more like goopy dough.

Ahh well…crap happens. My dad still loved it (which isn’t surprising, because he ALWAYS undercooked our cookies growing up) and around the edges weren’t too bad. But next time, I think I’ll just stick to regular cookies.

*****

When it came to breakfast this morning, indecisive was the name of the game. First I wanted oatmeal, then I wanted eggs, then I wanted an English muffin…yet somehow I ended up with cereal.

Hey, I’ll take it. It wound up being a pretty delicious decision.

We had a mix of Cascadian Farms Ancient Grains granola, Erewhon Supergrains Buckwheat and Hemp cereal, banana slices, chia seeds, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and almond butter.

Yum. Yum. YUM.

Oooooooooooo, our siding guys just pulled up! Time to give this house a makeover. I am SO excited!

Questions for the Morning:

What was your breakfast of choice this morning?

Did you watch any football this weekend?

Make me feel better…have you had any recipe fails lately? Winking smile

1 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

Yes I just had a morning of experimenting with coconut flour and pumpkin puree…3 batches of pancakes went in the bin before I got something edible. The loss of coconut flour and pumpkin puree was the devastating part!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Clash of the Seeds

2 Khushboo Thadani September 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

Wow that cake looks SO yummy! I’m with your dad- undercooked cookies are the best! My breakfast today was lame- an apple & nuts! For religious reasons I fast on Mondays, which means one meal a day. Besides that, I can eat fruit, nuts & yogurt.
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..A load of crap

3 Lindsey September 17, 2012 at 9:09 am

Protein Oatmeal cereal (from Fitnessista)- I combine oats, almond butter, protein powder and add milk then top it with berries, nuts, raisins and flax – so yummy!
I made your Minestrone soup last night – so easy and delicious!
Lindsey recently posted..One Last Celebration

4 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots September 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

I would have eaten that cookie, gooey undercooked cookies are the best!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Reflections on best body bootcamp

5 Becka @ simplybecka September 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

I am eating warm oatmeal, I am in autumn mode now so I like my oatmeal warm/hot. I did actually watch some football this weekend which I never do. The Bengals game, since I live near Cincinnati, Ohio. ^_^ Have a great day sorry your cookie cake didn’t work out.
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..snooze button of life…

6 Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit September 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve always wanted to try to bake a cookie cake. Someday I’ll give it a try <3
Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit recently posted..Motivational Monday : I guess you can call me a Choco-almond butter-holic

7 kristin September 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

Breakfast of choice this morning was a cup of coffee; make that 2 cups of coffee and soon to be 3.

I have had plenty of recipe fails – brownies I made a few weeks ago came out the same way very gooey – its was like a chewy gooey but everyone still ate them which was a good surprise. Also my steak I made yesterday for dinner, very tough – ended up giving my dog most of mine :)

I did watch a bit of the EAGLES (E-A-G-L-E-S) game while cooking dinner but I really didn’t have a choice thanks to my wonderful fiancé and daughter (they both hog the TV.) but hey atleast they won!

Have a great day and good luck with your house remodeling

8 Janae @ Bring-Joy September 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

Ah recipe fails. Every good cook needs to have one at least once or twice a week–it means we’re taking chances, experimenting, keeping things fresh :).

Personally, I love cookie dough–so an undercooked cookie is not the worst thing in the world. An undercooked cake, on the other hand…
Janae @ Bring-Joy recently posted..Vegan Sour Cream // Black Bean Peasant Stew // Cashew Corn Squares

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

Oh no! Sorry about your cookie… Bummer! It still looked pretty though! ;)

I went with hot oatmeal today. It’s all I’ve been wanting the past week or so thanks to the chilly temps in the morning!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Ideas to Amp Up Your Bowl of Oatmeal

10 Sam @ The Real Pretty September 17, 2012 at 9:23 am

First things first- I will now be purchasing a cookie cake. YUM!
As for football, I can’t even think about how my Cowboys did (awful), so I’m in the same boat as you!
Sam @ The Real Pretty recently posted..5

11 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries September 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

I watched the Steelers vs. Jets game this weekend, except I was happy about the outcome… :) I’m a Steelers girl born & raised (black + yellow!!). I do love Mark Sanchez though, SWOON. As long as they’re not playing the Steelers, I’m a Jets fan :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Boston Seminoles Club

12 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire September 17, 2012 at 9:25 am

Girl, don’t feel bad! I tried to make homemade pizza and totally failed. I by accident used pasta sauce instead of pizza sauce, and it was a disaster! We jokingly call it “pazza” now, because it tasted a little off. That cookie looks really good though, so at least give yourself credit for that!

13 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 17, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’ve had a major black bean brownie fail before and just made terrrrrrible cupcake frosting last night!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Hiking at Bear Lake in Blackwater State Park

14 Megan@funsizedfitness September 17, 2012 at 9:30 am

Breakfast this morning: overnight oats w/chopped apple, and pineapple greek yogurt!
I had a major recipe fail yesterday – the corn starch I put in the pan with my apples was expired and turned into a nasty smelling goop!
*Your cookie cake looks delicious – cookies with gooey centers are the best!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Greetings from Texas!

15 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 17, 2012 at 9:39 am

It happens to the best of us. The cookie cake looks really scrumptious though. I’d give it another shot. :)

I couldn’t watch my tigers play this weekend, but I listed to the game on the radio. Hurray for another Clemson win!
Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) recently posted..Weekend Through A Lens

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

I had my standard breakfast of oatmeal with peanut butter and an apple. Oatmeal is one of my favorite things ever, but I do feel like I get in a breakfast rut. Would love some suggestions!

I tried to cook turkey burgers on the grill last week, and for some reason they just would not hold together! I have no idea what the deal was. Oh well, it happens!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Gone Girl

17 Whitney September 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

Breakfast was oatmeal this morning with soy milk.. yum! This weekend was all about football (as is every weekend now). I made a buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot for hubs to eat on during the games and he gave it two thumbs up!! I always forget how awesome the crockpot is! Sorry about your Jets… I didn’t have a dog in the fight for the game but I am not a Rapistburger fan! :)

18 Tara September 17, 2012 at 10:04 am

Even though it was a fail, it still looked delicious and cute!! :)

19 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 17, 2012 at 10:05 am

Oh yeah–it’s football time! We watched the Vikings play. Unfortunately, they lost within the last seconds of the game. Brutal! (My husband is a die-hard Vikings fan)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Simple Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken

20 Beks September 17, 2012 at 10:06 am

I was completely planning to make a smoothie this morning, since I have a long day/week ahead of me, but I was too out of it to operate the blender, so I stole one of my dad’s sausage biscuit breakfast sandwiches from Aldi and a cup of coffee. Did the trick, despite not being the healthiest of options.

And, while not a recent recipe fail, when I was a teenager, my sis and I attempted to bake cookies with Bisquick, thinking it was just flour. Didn’t turn out well at ALL! LOL. It was all runny and got burned while we kept them baking to firm up. I’m sure there were others in college, but that one will always spring to my mind when the words “Recipe Fail” are uttered. LOL
Beks recently posted..Crazy crazy Cuh-RAZY week ahead!

21 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 10:16 am

I have recipe fails all the time! ….I wouldn’t consider that a fail though- just an oh-oh, live and learn and cook it a little longer next time. It looks super cute!!!! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Labor & Delivery Surprises

22 Rachel September 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

Cake looks great! Too bad it didn’t turn out!
Rachel recently posted..MIMM#7: Welcome Back Buckwheat

23 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 17, 2012 at 10:26 am

It was a cereal kind of morning for me, too!! I had Puffins for the first time and they were so good!!

I would say half of what I cook is a food fail but I am lucky enough to have a family that eats it anyway!! At least I do manage to balance out my many fails with a few winners every now and again ;-)
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Pain in the Neck

24 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 17, 2012 at 10:50 am

Recipe fails happen to me all the time! I bet it was still delicious even if it was a little doughy! I love super soft cookies anyway! Happy Monday!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday!

25 Diana September 17, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh man I would have been all over that cookie cake like white on rice! Undercooked cookies? YES, please and thank you.

I was making dinner for the boy the other night and after a (seriously) stressful day of work accidentally had too much wine while preparing the dish (woops!). It wasn’t exactly a fail, per se, just a little bland and all over the place haha.
Diana recently posted..STOOOOLEN!

26 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights September 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

I made a huge batch of muffins for an event this past weekend, and they were so flavorless that I had to tell people just to leave them on the table. I usually recipe test before a big event, but I was crunched for time and figured they would turn out just fine. They had zero taste and were realy dense. :-/ Oh well, live and learn!
Allison @ Running Through Red Lights recently posted..Tri Like Angels: Land Rover TriRock Series Lake Geneva Triathlon

27 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige September 17, 2012 at 11:27 am

Glad you were able to salvage the edges ;)
I’ve been loving on some cereal lately, too! I just can’t stomach oats for some reason right now.
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Move it Monday: 3-2-1 Run! Workout (-& Virtual Personal Training Winner Announced!)

28 Kelsey September 17, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yum, that sounds like a recipe DO to me… I love cookie dough! :)

29 Michelle Levine September 17, 2012 at 11:37 am

I definitely know how you feel with the recipe fail! I found a banana and strawberry bread recipe where you use greek yogurt. Made it and cooked it and was all excited only to find out I had used too many bananas and had a mushy mess in the center ! Into the garbage it went ugh .
Michelle Levine recently posted..My eats from last week

30 Carol @ Lucky Zucca September 17, 2012 at 11:43 am

I had cereal this morning too! It has been a long time so I really enjoyed it. I feel like cookie cake would be so tough to make. It’s one of my favorite desserts, but I usually leave it to the pros at the bakery. I wish it was easy to make at home though! Recently, I made some cookies and they tasted like flour instead of cookies. Yuck!
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..AthHalf Half-Marathon Training Review: Week 7

31 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign September 17, 2012 at 11:46 am

Recipe fails are the worst! I had 2 this week while trying to make pumpkin bread–sometimes it was gummy, other times it was dry…finally got it right!
Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Pumpkin Bread

32 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

We all have flops now and then! I made a tortilla pizza with caramelized onions, veggies and goat cheese. It was so dry — I ate it, but it was not good. I have ALOT of tweaking to do before it hits the blog!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Wordless Weekend Review

33 stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction September 17, 2012 at 11:49 am

My breakfast choice was oatmeal with pb and bananas. I watched the Pats and they lost :( Haven’t had too many fails lately, but also haven’t had enough time to try out new recipes so that’s really not an accurate answer! I have always wanted to try a cookie cake though! YUM :)
stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Running & Knee Pain

34 Claire September 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hey Courtney!

This morning for breakfast I ended up having good ole cereal, too! Newman’s Own Flax Flakes, organic dried apples and cranberries, sliced strawberries, and a scoop of organic PB2 with unsweetened vanilla almond milk! Definitely try the PB2 in your cereal, SO good! Have a good rest of your day :D

Claire
Claire recently posted..A Delicious Meal

35 Angela @ Health's Angel September 17, 2012 at 12:07 pm

My guess is that I probably would have still dug into that cookie cake. I love underdone baked goods! I definitely think you should give it another shot to perfect it though. It’s so pretty! :)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Shellac Be Gone

36 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud September 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm

i have recipe fails frequently, especially when i am attempting on my own without a recpe (okay, like 80% of the time when im trying on my own!)
it happens to the best of us! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud recently posted..I Dislike Shopping & Return Of The Bento Box

37 Lisa September 17, 2012 at 12:42 pm

My worst recipe fail was when I made chicken marsala (which I had done numerous times before). I didn’t set the timer and let the sauce overcook. What I was left with was a brown sticky goo that stuck to the chicken (and the pan) and the pasta was overcooked because I tried to salvage the sauce. Not appetizing at all. I ended up throwing a frozen pizza in the oven.
Love the pumpin with the “welcome” on it. Where did you find it? Can’t wait to see pictures of the siding.

38 Courtney September 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Kirklands!
(aka, my FAVORITE place for all things fall!) :)

39 Shannon September 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Today for breakfast, I had an Eggo waffle, plain.

I did catch some snippets of the Giants game, and I’m very happy they won yesterday! :)

I don’t have any recipe fail stories to share with you, but I would have ate that cookie cake despite the fact it was doughy in the middle. I like cookie dough better than actual cookies- even though it’s not very good for you. ;)

40 Shana September 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I used to specifically get cookies from a place that severely undercooked them. It was like eating warm dough and I LOVED it. I would call your recipe a raging success!
Shana recently posted..The Simple Life

41 Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine September 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I decided on coffee and eggs with salsa and sour cream.

I watch my Ohio State Buckeyes and Colts play, both won!!
Jodi @ I Run for Food and Wine recently posted..Turtle Time

42 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie September 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Aww that’s a bummer, but at least it looked awesome! This was a bad week for football :(
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Short Weekend Recap

43 Lauren September 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

How is a giant cookie/like cake a fail? LoL that sounds incredible! ;) Glad you had a great weekend hun.
Lauren recently posted..Celebration Trifecta

44 Steph @ StephSnacks September 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Regardless of the recipe fail, that cookie cake looks amazing! My breakfast consisted of 1/2 cup oats, 1/4 cup pumpkin, and about 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk mixed together. I also put a dollop of PB on top! filling and delicious :D
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall!

45 Cait September 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I had oats w/almond milk for breakfast. I was craving cold cereal but I was a cereal monster this wknd and ate the Chex that I had bought…which reminds me why I never buy cereal…I cannot control myself around it. AT ALL! ahhh

I most definitely did watch fball this wknd.. but my team lost :(

46 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Undercooked cookies are never a fail in my book – unless you get food poisoning. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightenend Up Spinach Artichoke Dip

47 Nicole September 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’ve done the cookie cake fail before. I’ve been meaning to try it again but putting foil around the edges as it nears the end of the cooking time so it doesn’t burn/cook too fast and the middle has time to finish baking (kind of like what some people do to protect pie crusts from burning while baking).

As I always do with my baking fails – I turn it into ice cream topping! There’s nothing ice cream can’t fix! ;)

48 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Everyone has a fail once in a while!

I had eggs and a piece of toast with almond butter and maple pumpkin butter – so tasty!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..ED Talk: The Last Fear Meal.

49 Stef September 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I had 2 eggs on top of some homemade bread spread with laughing cow cheese. I’ve really been into eggs lately!

I watched a ton of football this weekend. I’m a Browns fan and we are terrible though!
Stef recently posted..Monday morning.

50 michelle kim September 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I watched some football (OSU v. Cal) while in Tahoe with my church this past weekend.
Even though it was doughy, it still looks delicious!
michelle kim recently posted..Wedding Celebration!

51 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset September 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Breakfast= Piece of gf toast with almond butter and banana, plus approximately a 1/2 cup cinnamon sprinkled on top :) Had a recipe fail of my own this aft…tried to make pale pumpkin muffins…yaaaah -_-

52 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset September 17, 2012 at 4:13 pm

*Paleo, not pale ;)
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Annoyed

53 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I can’t believe you consider that cookie cake a recipe fail! I’d sure love to see what the success looks like! Haha, I love a slightly gooey cookie, they’re the best!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..S’mores Rice Krispies Treats

54 Danielle September 17, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Your cookie cake looked amazing! I would have been eating it with your dad :)
Breakfast this AM: smoothie w/ blueberries, strawberries, banana, spinach, chia seeds, almond butter and almond milk. My recent recipe fail was chickpea burgers – they were so thin that they fell apart before I could get them in the pan :(
Danielle recently posted..Weekend at the Finger Lakes

55 Lesley September 18, 2012 at 5:32 am

I have had many a recipe fails and it totally stinks but helps you to make it better the next time around – or – never make it again! haha
Lesley recently posted..Lemon & Chia Seed Loaf Cake

56 Bek @ Crave September 19, 2012 at 2:28 am

Don’t worry sometimes I have recipe fails even when using a recipe haha!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Pet hates