What I’m Taking These Days

Well heyyyy there! I’ve got quite a bit to get to this afternoon, so first things first…let’s talk lunch. I was really craving a PB&J, but then I started craving almond butter & bananas, so I got the best of both worlds and made each of them on toast.

Besides, melted peanut butter is always better anyways, right?

On the side, I had the rest of orange and brown sugar carrots from Monday (cold, hence the reason they look all shriveled and gross) and a small bowl of grapes.

Why do I always forget about grapes? They’re SO good!

*****

So last week, I told you all about how I’m partnering up with GNC for their fall/winter campaign. I also told you that I was desperately looking for some ways to enjoy one of my new-to-me products, apple cider vinegar.

WELL, it turns out that Brittany was on to something…I’ve discovered “my” drink!

I’m not sure I’d say it tastes quiiiite like liquid apple pie like Brittany said, but it definitely does taste good. And coming from me, that’s tellin’ ya something.

Here’s the lowdown…

First things first, get your ingredients:

I start by filling up a glass about half full with ice cubes, then add in 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (I started off using 1 – work up to it if you have to).

Next, I add my apple juice. I don’t measure, but I usually fill up the glass until my ice cubes are covered.

Then I add my liquid stevia. For me, it’s about 3-4 drops.

After that, I add in a quick sprinkle of cinnamon,

then fill up the rest of my glass with water.

Give it a quick stir, add in a straw (to protect the enamel of your teeth from the acidity from the ACV), and voila!

ACV drink

I’ve been enjoying this in the mornings, shortly after breakfast, and it really is a delicious mid-morning drink. I’ve only been doing it for about 4-5 days now, so I haven’t really noticed too many differences/effects yet, but I’ll sure to keep you all updated!

So, of course, since I’m working with GNC, apple cider vinegar isn’t the only product of theirs I’ve been using…

To be honest, when I was first presented with the opportunity to work with them, I was a bit hesitant…as you guys know, the whole workout thing is sort of taking a back seat for me right now, and I’m totally okay with that; but I wondered how I might be able to still work with GNC.

Well, lucky for me, GNC is definitely NOT only about the hardcore workout supplements and protein powder, and they have plenty of great products to help support me in my current goals.

So first things first…

What sort of vitamins am I taking these days?

That would be prenatals, baby. Gotta be prepared! Winking smile

GNC sent me a few different products of theirs to try, including their Women’s Prenatal Program, Ultra Mega Green Prenatal, and Triple Strength Fish Oil.

Since I obviously can’t take them all at once, I decided to try out the Prenatal program this month. The pack includes three bottles: the prenatal formula with iron, DHA, and calcium.

Right now, I take my prenatal (2 pills) + DHA in the evening (sometimes the excess iron can upset the tummy – so far, so good for me) and the calcium in the morning (at the recommendation of my doctor). I’d been on a different set of prenatals before trying these out, but had no problem switching it up. Let me tell you…my hair and nails have been growing like weeds!

What other supplements am I taking?

Probiotics – great for the health of the ‘ol gut!

Right now, I take one GNC Ultra 50 Probiotic Complex pill a day, usually in the morning.

When I think of it (which isn’t every day – maybe once every other) I also take a GNC Ultra 5 Probiotic Complex soft chew.

They basically taste like candy. Winking smile

So there’s a rundown of what I’ve been supplementing my body with these days. Nothing crazy – just some simple good stuff to keep the body workin’ smoothly.

Question for the Afternoon:

Do you take any daily vitamins or supplements? (besides the bunches of you who are already on the ACV train!)

Comments

Well I may have to give this ACV a trial run…since you’re standing behind the taste. 😉

Otherwise I take a multivitamin & vitamin D everyday and iron every other day. I’m looking to start taking biotin and get back on the calcium train. And I need to bring a probiotic back into my daily (or every other day) regime again as well.
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

• Katie says

One of my coworkers used to routinely grow her hair for Locks of Love and told me once that she took a prenatal vitamin for that reason (to grow fast). Her hair was always so shiny and gorgeous, even when really long. :)

2. Kristin says

How early should you start taking a prenatal?
    I tried to start taking one a few weeks ago (to get more iron and vitamins per my doctor) and got really bad chest/neck pains from it. It was just too strong for me. Now I’m on a regular NatureMade multi for her and I’ve been tolerating that well. I’m just scared for when I’m really going to need to be on a prenatal during preganancy. That’s probably 2 years or so from now if all goes as planned. :-)

I’ve just started taking a Fish Oil supplement, and I’m liking the results. I think I’ll stick with it for a while . . .

On the other hand, I’ve been taking Calcium and a multi-vitamin for years . . . and I’m not sure that it’s really effective. I’m considering stopping one or both, but I’m just not sure . . .

I’m still trying to get into a habit of taking supplements. I’ve never been good with taking my multivitamin, but when I started Jamie Eason’s LiveFit trainer, I also bought her supplements (Multivitamin, EFAs, BCAA’s and Whey Protein). I love the Multivitamin. It’s got a bunch of B-Vitamins, which helps my energy levels. And when I started taking the BCAA’s, I did notice I wasn’t as sore the next day, after weight training. The protein powder’s pretty tasty, too.
    Beks recently posted..Crazy crazy Cuh-RAZY week ahead!

5. Donna says

Right now I’m taking calcium and Vit. D mostly because I have a broken arm, boo! I’m willing to try anything to get this to heal quickly.

I used to drink ACV like it was my job, but I gave up on it because I didn’t notice any significant changes… maybe it’s time to give it a shot again.

For supplements, I take vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin B complex, digestive enzymes, and a fish oil pill. I always feel goofy taking so many pills, and I’m still not convinced on whether or not supplements have any real benefit, but I guess they can’t hurt, right? :)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... it’s good to be home .

I take vitamin D, lots of fish oil, and just a regular women’s multivitamin.
    Hooray on the prenatals (my friends took them about a year before they planned on getting pregnant… and the very month they each wanted to get pregnant, they got pregnant! Both babies are super healthy and moms are great)!
    michelle kim recently posted..5 x 800′s

I don’t take any supplements anymore, I used to use GNC Aminos but I’ve started eating bee pollen and it’s amazing! You should check it out. Most complete food nutritionally with 22 aminos! I also stopped taking calcium supplements due to the strong correlation with heart disease and heart attacks and the issue with negative calcium balance. I’m a strong believer that a healthy balanced whole food diet can provide you with all the nutrients you need :)
    Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..New Discoveries

I take ACV every morning :) but with that I also take probiotics (which helps my stomach aches so much!), a multivitamin (I use Alive lol), Biotin 5000 haha, and occasionally Spirulina for B-12
    Rachel recently posted..Lots O’ Shoes

I’m definitely curious about the ACV and the probiotics…I have been researching those myself a lot lately because I deal with a lot of “irregularity” and I am wondering if they may help. I can’t wait to hear what you think after a longer stint of using them!! :)

I’m thinking I’m going to look for some ACV this weekend!

I take a fish oil supplement, a calcium chew (chocolate, of course) and gummy multivitamins. That way, I get to have chocolate and gummy bears after breakfast everyday. :-)
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW # 2

Your ACV drink sounds tasty!
    I always take vitamin D, calcium, omega, digestive enzymes, and ACV. Although, I don’t really notice any changes at all with the ACV I just think it tastes good, oddly.
    Lisa recently posted..Breakfast All Day

YES..I cannot wait for you to have a baby (totally not creepy, right?? 😉 ) She/he would be so cute with you and Jay’s looks!!

My daily supplements include multivitamins, green tea extract, calcium with vitamin D, omega 3-6-9, and probiotics. And…I just realized I sound like a pill popper.
    Connie recently posted..WIAW: Lemon Poppy Seed Protein Bar Recipe

I love that drink idea–I recently got a bottle of ACV and haven’t really figured out how to use it yet…it’s good in smoothies because I can’t taste it but I don’t eat a smoothie every single day.
    I take a calcium supplement and a women’s multivitamin most days, plus a fiber supplement sometimes to make “the gut happy,” as you said :) What are the benefits of a probiotic? I hear about them all the time but don’t understand why they’re beneficial.
    Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..WIAW #39: Individual (healthified) Desserts

• Sarah says

It’s best to not dilute it too much, that’s what I read in a book about it- the less extra liquid and additions, the better :) An awesome thing I do sometimes is when you get that little pimple or whatever- take about 3 tbsp of ACV in 2-4 cups of water and bring to aboil. Take off heat and drape a towel over your head and steam your face(that sounds awkward). not only will your pimple or whatever be gone, but your face will look really young and healthy! If you want more ideas this is a book I found helpful- http://bragg.com/books/acv_toc.html. Hope that gives you some ideas!

I was totally like “what is wrong with those carrots?” Thanks for clearing that up.

I take a pre-natal for the folic acid in case a baby pops up. NOT trying. I also take a probiotic and fish oils if my consumption has been low. I take magnesium for my neck injury and Taurine and gaba for stress. I sometimes do ACV but don’t see a long term benefit. I’d like to know if you do.
    Carissa recently posted..Our Wedding Recap

16. Sarah says

I take my ACV straight… I mean like the Bragg way. I recommend Bragg because its the highest quality out there! I take Dr. Ohira’s Probiotics, caprylic acid, BioAnnue’s DailyZyme, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, and some more i can’t remember. Not all at once though! So I never had problem skin or anything, but ACV gives me a glow that people comment on alot (dont wanna sound like jerk or anything!) And I never have been a huge makeup wearer, but now I can go out with chap stick on and nothing else!
    My friends think I’m crazy- like what 16 year old does that? and here in the South, if you’re under 45 and you’re hitting up the salad bar (at least in my place), well… you’re WAY too young to be there. C’mon people- then why the heck have salad bars? And it doesn’t help when you’re neighbor is like the next Paula Deen…. oh man. that’s why I take so many supplements!

• Cat says

Hi Sarah,
      How long have you been taking the Dailyzyme and how many pills per day?

I just started taking Dailyzyme for chronic pain. Why are you taking it and have you taken other systemic enzyemes in the past? I have taken Wobenzyme, Vitalzyme and Zymessence most recently.

17. Karleen curran says

Thank you for posting you acv recipe! I have been having some stomach troubles and have been looking for a More natural solution other than my probiotic supplement I take from Costco. Looking forward to drinking every morning too:)

I take a basic multi-vitamin and one of those GNC triple strength fish oils every night before bed! I asked my doctor about pre-natals just last month and she said to keep taking the above but add a vitamin D + calcium and folic acid. I might just go with a pre-natal though… 4 pills a day is a bit much! LOL.
    Lindsay @ LindsayInNYC recently posted..Wedding ABCs